- 56 (21.3%)
NO
- 179 (68.1%)
Frito Pie
- 28 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 263

Voting closed: November 26, 2020, 02:46:28 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRE BRILES - He just aint it  (Read 4306 times)

#1 STUNNA

Re: FIRE BRILES - He just aint it
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2020, 04:35:04 pm »

Without see the 22 look, itís hard to determine if they should have had more, or not. They were targeted 12 times, with 9 completions. IMO, Burks doesnít need the flare pass, unless itís a true RPO and Franks has a hard time getting outside to create a true threat.
Wish we would continue to use 16 like we did against ole miss... seems like we havenít used him like that since.

havok

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2020, 04:37:13 pm »

Oline...other than a few flashes this season has been bad to Horrible.  That is what must be fixed or else your offense is always going to be playing with severe handicap. No matter who is calling plays.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

titsonboar

« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2020, 04:38:03 pm »

Head coach doesn't get a pass. Needed more downfield passes, more blitzes on young QB. Pittman has a headset, This team will get better but a winnable game from the onset. Only coach that has yet to impress me is ST coach.

Rich Nolan

« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2020, 04:38:53 pm »

you act like scoring in the SEC is easy.

no spring practice 8 games into his first year, and you expect us to play like florida or bama.  get real.

Missouri scored 40! 40 points against LSU. Can we play like Missouri, how about Missisippi State? Auburn scored on LSU? I know good when I see it. Odom is great. Briles is Chad Morris like and is learning on the job.

elksnort

« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2020, 04:42:08 pm »

IF we keep throwing deep

we win

got too conservative...like we always do with the lead 
THIS^^^^
I don't know about firing, but I believe lossed the game by not throwing it deep more.

BeaverHog

« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2020, 04:42:16 pm »

Iím good with briles moving on after this season.  We arenít using the players we have in place to their maximum benefit.  A coach deals with the deck heís given and adjusts.  It will never be perfect here at Arkansas with a complete roster.  Do what all good coaches do and adjust your game plan.  We have franks with a cannon and a competent receiving core. Stop with the cute gimmick lateral crap.

Vildsvin

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2020, 04:45:49 pm »

A coach deals with the deck heís given and adjusts.

this is a tough concept for a lot of people .. They'll eventually come around tho.. might take another season =/

PorkSoda

« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2020, 04:59:35 pm »

Missouri scored 40! 40 points against LSU. Can we play like Missouri, how about Missisippi State? Auburn scored on LSU? I know good when I see it. Odom is great. Briles is Chad Morris like and is learning on the job.
odom gave up 65 points against florida.  he gets a pass. 

the offense was ranked #110 last year and Briles has improved it to #72

On Defense, Odom improved it from #124 to #74

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2020, 05:08:29 pm »

Both Missouri and Miss State have had horrible offensive performances outside of their game vs. LSU.

Missouri only scored 12 vs. Tennessee.

Mississippi State scored 14 against us and 2 (!) against Kentucky.

Briles improves his 3rd down rate and we will be much improved.

BeaverHog

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2020, 05:08:41 pm »

Some of that has to do with our offense being on the field a whopping 16 percent of the games.  Today didnít help with starters out, but I will say I wasnít impressed in our defense during the Florida game.

Rich Nolan

« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2020, 05:08:49 pm »

Briles was down 6 defensive lineman and a walk on at CB. However they did enough to win. The offense had to be good to put pressure on LSU to play catch up. Didn't happen because any objective fan knows why. Odom isn't the problem

elksnort

« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2020, 05:14:27 pm »

I understand the necessity of running the ball to set up the pass.
Needed to throw it vertically more. The horizontal stuff did not work

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2020, 05:14:29 pm »

Is hogville going to allow these threads every week.

PorkSoda

« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2020, 05:16:26 pm »

Briles was down 6 defensive lineman and a walk on at CB. However they did enough to win. The offense had to be good to put pressure on LSU to play catch up. Didn't happen because any objective fan knows why. Odom isn't the problem
The reality is that we are not a top tier team this year.  we are 0-4 vs ranked teams and 3-1 vs unranked teams.

elksnort

« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2020, 05:20:50 pm »

The reality is that we are not a top tier team this year.  we are 0-4 vs ranked teams and 3-1 vs unranked teams.

True.
Another reality was this game was winnable. I am not asking for Briles to be fired. Just wish he would stick with what is working.

Hawg414

« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2020, 05:21:25 pm »

was wondering the same

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • White Rock Mountain Pavilion.
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2020, 05:22:11 pm »

Do you remember what this team looked like last year???? GTFO

This a million times! We have made really good strides. IF we can have good QB play next year I expect more improvement. Maybe we can buy some shoes for wet fields also.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:12:56 pm by Inhogswetrust »

elksnort

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2020, 05:26:03 pm »

Everyone know what a crap show Morris' teams were.
And almost everyone is pleased with the improvements, but this doesn't mean you have to be content with the game just played.
What else would there be talked about? I bet the owner likes more posts as opposed to less posts.

Rich Nolan

« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2020, 05:26:50 pm »

The problem is they're every week, very telling

elksnort

« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2020, 05:31:57 pm »

Is it so hard to understand that losing a tough game stimulates more conversation than winning?
If you don't like it, don't read it.

hoglady

« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2020, 05:32:13 pm »

Can you really fire a new coach in this screwed up Covid year?
No spring practice, a screwed up fall practice, the toughest schedule in the country, no cupcakes to refine the offense and build trust in each other.

I'm pretty critical of Briles play calling and he sure didn't seem to have a good handle on it today.
But every coach deserves a chance - not sure 2020 gives a new coach the chance they deserve.

hawgsalot

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2020, 05:35:13 pm »

Did LSU have three weeks to prepare for them too?

Oliver

« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2020, 05:35:33 pm »

Firing Briles talk is just stupid.  Heís got a long way to go as today and many other games have shown.  But when heís great, heís great.  Heíll learn

PorkSoda

« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2020, 05:36:59 pm »

The problem is they're every week, very telling
very telling about the fans at least.

The refs blatantly steal the game, and "fans" want to blame the players that are playing their heart out.  or the coaches that are doing everything they can think of to put them in a position to win the game despite the interference by the refs (and the replay officials)

LumberBacks

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2020, 05:37:43 pm »

When did ToP start counting as points?
Uggh. The lame ToP-isnít-points statement.  When LSU had the ball 22 mins in the 1st half, that means the Hogs defense, decimated by Covid, gets worn down. See why itís a relevant stat?   When an offensive unit isnít on the field itís hard to score the points you speak of.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2020, 05:38:56 pm »

THIS^^^^
I don't know about firing, but I believe lossed the game by not throwing it deep more.

This was CSP. You can hear him say as much.

At this point, if you find something conservative, you can pretty much assume it's CSP induced. For better or worse, that's his identity.

hoglady

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2020, 05:40:09 pm »

Firing Briles talk is just stupid.  Heís got a long way to go as today and many other games have shown.  But when heís great, heís great.  Heíll learn

He mentioned a few weeks ago he's had to adjust to the SEC / and man did he get thrown into the fire this year.
All the West teams plus Florida and Georgia.

Ugly Uncle

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2020, 05:42:24 pm »

He is working with an OLine that is young and weak.  Our running game is hit and mostly miss.  We lead the league in getting our QB sacked.

Briles isnít calling a game in a vacuum.  There are some pieces missing.

idochog

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2020, 05:45:35 pm »

Some of you donít know darn about football

If you would look and pay attention, you would understand but instead diarrhea of the mouth on the message board

Our OC is not the problem

Our OL IS! 

There is more but the dumb thing I to say is fire briles.

VBMark

• Senior
  • It's time to put a lil' WPS on somebody
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2020, 05:45:52 pm »

Dumb. This season reminds me of Petrinoís first season. You could see flashes of offensive brilliance but he didnít have the horses to really put it all together. Petrino needed skill players, what this team needs is linemen. A bad o-line heavily limits what you can do on offense. We can thank Chaggie for that.

The play calling is not as important as the execution and our o-line has trouble executing. In the next couple years this offense will be explosive.

At the end of the season assuming we beat Mizzou, itíll be a 4-6 team. 5-5 in my book because we beat Auburn. In a season where nobody predicted weíd be no better than 0-10 or 1-9. Just chill the hell out.

People 'round here ain't accustomed to winners. They don't know how to react.

The failures this week were on a RB not catching a ball twice, an OL allowing his defender to jump 10 feet in the air, and the turf monster with two tackles. The announcer was right, the manager should have switched out the cleats for the skill players.

elksnort

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2020, 05:45:54 pm »

This was CSP. You can hear him say as much.

At this point, if you find something conservative, you can pretty much assume it's CSP induced. For better or worse, that's his identity.
Yeah, I don't know how much input Pittman has with Briles play calling. I did not like the fg attempt at the end due to the conditions. But if you throw the ball vertically more, the hogs likely win.
Franks throws a better deep ball than a short one.
The protection was not great, but good enough to connect when they did throw the deep ball.

Rich Nolan

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2020, 05:47:37 pm »

In our three wins, what game did you leave and was overly impressed with the offense. Ole Miss, Miss State and Tennessee. In those three wins you leave saying the defense stood tall again.

Rich Nolan

« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2020, 05:48:50 pm »

People 'round here ain't accustomed to winners. They don't know how to react.

The failures this week were on a RB not catching a ball twice, an OL allowing his defender to jump 10 feet in the air, and the turf monster with two tackles. The announcer was right, the manager should have switched out the cleats for the skill players.

Blame the players

hogfan10

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2020, 05:49:30 pm »

When did ToP start counting as points?
It doesnít count as points, but it does help a defense that is depleted.

RebHog

« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2020, 05:55:30 pm »

Can you really fire a new coach in this screwed up Covid year?
No spring practice, a screwed up fall practice, the toughest schedule in the country, no cupcakes to refine the offense and build trust in each other.

I'm pretty critical of Briles play calling and he sure didn't seem to have a good handle on it today.
But every coach deserves a chance - not sure 2020 gives a new coach the chance they deserve.

I agree to some point but he had 1 RB for the game and not an every down RB so really what was he supposed to do.

RebHog

« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2020, 05:58:49 pm »

In our three wins, what game did you leave and was overly impressed with the offense. Ole Miss, Miss State and Tennessee. In those three wins you leave saying the defense stood tall again.

Coach Morris what have you been impressed with in our last few years?

checkraiser88

« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:56 pm »

We should of been airing it out the whole game. The running game wasnít working today

nesjunk

« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2020, 06:02:57 pm »

Ummmm this is the worst LSU defense ever. Literally ever.

In 1993, a Razorback team that wasn't even bowl eligible rushed for over 400 yards and scored 42 in Baton Rouge.  Try again.

oldbear

« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2020, 06:06:57 pm »

I am the first one to say that because I do not know the actual intent of the play that it is hard to pick at things. However, it looked to me like several times, including when Franks slipped and fell inside the ten that he missed give reads and kept the ball for little or no gain.

This could have been a different ending if he gives on some of those plays. I am not sure whether he is uncertain of ball security in those situations or just is not seeing the read. I also am not sure that the play gives him the option, but it certainly looks like it.

justmaybe

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2020, 06:09:27 pm »

Imagine how good brŻlťe will be win the offensive line is 30% better . We cannot consistently hold off a pass rush to throw deep. And our speed guy was out.

Rich Nolan

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:52 pm »

Coach Morris what have you been impressed with in our last few years?

I don't compare Razorback football to the Morris era. We can win in the SEC. That game is winnable

justmaybe

« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2020, 06:13:56 pm »

I think they covered Burks with one guy much of the game which didnít leave a lot of great match ups over the top. They had a safety there most of the game. But you need some time and they still have some talent up front. I didnít think the oline had a very good game.   

I would agreee that a few more slants to burks would have been warranted late but it also seemed their linebackers played out wider to take some of that away although I wouldnít swear to that.

hoglady

« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2020, 06:14:00 pm »

I agree to some point but he had 1 RB for the game and not an every down RB so really what was he supposed to do.

Throw the ball down the field and/or give Hammonds another couple of touches.
This wasn't the first game we've been without Boyd.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2020, 06:58:26 pm »

Let's use Tennessee as an example because it was the latest game out of those and I remember most. After our 3rd quarter offensive explosion (in which we stopped being conservative and opened up the offense), Tennessee was stopping our offense in the 4th. If Tennessee's QB play wasn't so garbage, they could've easily gotten back in the game, especially when Franks fumbled the ball inside our own 10 yard line in which we luckily recovered and punted away.

The defense had to bail out of the offense due going ultra conservative, again. Pittman has got to stop wanting to go conservative or we lose more games.

Pigdiana Jones

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Smoking Hot!!!
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2020, 07:01:15 pm »

Stupid thread is stupid

Dan42AR

« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2020, 07:24:20 pm »

Ill be sure to quote this next year when we are still just as inept.. struggling to drive the ball on mediocre teams

If we don't improve next year maybe you are right. But I don't think you will be. No one expected us to be as competitive as we are this year and that's without spring football and a really messed up fall practice schedule and that's from good coaching. I do think he needs to work on his play calling but I also believe that with better execution on a lot of the plays and people will think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Arnold Ziffel

• Varsity
  • The Hog is the most beautiful animal in existence!
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2020, 07:34:47 pm »

Offense had a bad day today.  Our execution was totally off in just about every area except the deep ball.  Im not sure we have the personnel to be successful with some of Briles play calling.  I too am growing a little impatient.  Our short handed defense wasnt spectacular today either but man they played gritty football.  Hard to determine how much Covid hurt the mental aspect of both our offense and defensive units.  These guys are a brotherhood.

We are playing competitive football and no longer overlooked by every team in our conference.  I know its a stale perspective but lets not forget the sheer disappointment we have all felt the last couple seasons.  I think if any of you would have told me we would have 3-4 conference wins before the season started this year, I would have serious questioned your mental faculties or just chalked you up as just another incredulous homer.

Im willing to wait and see where the rest of the season takes us and hopefully we improve some.   I dont feel the same hopeless despair that I used to feel after a Morris loss.  I feel we are now on a positive trajectory and hopefully Coach Briles will continue to contribute to that.  Be patient, I think we are going to get there sooner than most imagined.

31to6

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2020, 07:41:53 pm »

Today's loss to LSU was all on the offense. The defense cant win them all for us. Last week we skated by on ONE quarter of good football from the offense. This week, all those early 3 and outs finally caught up to us.

LSU is NOT a good football team. There is NO excuse to lose this game.
I voted no.

But I am not impressed with his in-game decisions and I do not like all the slow-developing EW plays on 3rd and med/long and the trick plays which blow up in hilarious and embarrassing fashion about 5x as often as they work.

He must improve.

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2020, 07:43:05 pm »

Can we trash can? The people have spoken. No

hoglady

« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2020, 07:51:47 pm »

The most encouraging thing about Briles - I think he's made Franks a better QB.
After the horrendous, inexcusable QB management by our previous staff / got to acknowledge it's been nice to have a solid starting QB.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas