• 10,285,783 Posts
• 418,327 Topics
• 24,952 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hope defensive recruits are taking notice!  (Read 2115 times)

ifghog

Hope defensive recruits are taking notice!
« on: October 17, 2020, 06:21:33 pm »

Come right on in boys! The water is fine!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Re: Hope defensive recruits are taking notice!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 06:46:06 pm »

The past few years there was a lot of talk about not having the appropriate talent to compete in the SEC. This D looked better than Bama did last week against a very good Ole Miss offense.

Was it all mainly fake news and excuses for poor coaching? Is coaching much more important than stars? A big part of the 2020 team is the same roster as 2019. They are day and night from a year ago. Look at Auburn last week and this week. They are regressing steadily.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RebelliousHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 06:51:30 pm »

The past few years there was a lot of talk about not having the appropriate talent to compete in the SEC. This D looked better than Bama did last week against a very good Ole Miss offense.

Was it all mainly fake news and excuses for poor coaching? Is coaching much more important than stars? A big part of the 2020 team is the same roster as 2019. They are day and night from a year ago. Look at Auburn last week and this week. They are regressing steadily.

I've always said that we NEVER recruited with the big teams of the SWC or the SEC.  The years we had competitive teams we had great kids being coached up. It's happening again this year.

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 07:14:50 pm »

I've always said that we NEVER recruited with the big teams of the SWC or the SEC.  The years we had competitive teams we had great kids being coached up. It's happening again this year.

AND..... a 4* or a 3* that is a few fractions from being a 4* should not be that big of a difference.

PorkBilly

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 08:29:59 am »

AND..... a 4* or a 3* that is a few fractions from being a 4* should not be that big of a difference.

Hi, my name is Hudson Clark.

Vantage 8 dude

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:59:09 pm »

Once upon a time in the distant past, during SWC days, Lou Holtz era, etc. the Hogs usually fielded a very salty, hard hitting defense. One other thing you could also count on: win, lose or draw the week after you played the Hogs you were most definitely going to feel it. They were massively physical and played with incredible passion. The Hogs made you pay for it the next week no matter the previous outcome.

Vantage 8 dude

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 02:10:50 pm »

Hi, my name is Hudson Clark.
There will always be debate about whether it’s massive great talent OR great coaching chicken or the egg?). Well we’ve obviously seen both factors with teams such as UGA, ‘Bama, and (normally) LSU. While doubtless the arguments will go on well into the future, the Hogs have had to do it the hard way-with GENERALLY lower rated recruiting classes-but great coaching. Once again the Hogs will not going to be in the top ten as far as this year’s recruiting class. One thing is difference this year though; if you’re willing to put in the work and show great effort, you’re very likely going to see the field at some point. While injuries have forced some of our normal nonstarters more playing time than expected at this point, to me it’s obvious that decent talent runs much deeper than I imagined beyond the normal starters. There are a TON of kids who’re getting some significant experience through wide spread playing time. We should most certainly NOT have a problem with inadequate experience going into next season.

Seebs

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 02:40:08 pm »

Everybody is taking notice. Everybody, everywhere.

Pigsfeat

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 03:50:31 pm »

Now I see why Coach Odom used to beat us with, what most viewed as, less talented teams. He coached them up. I hope we can keep him for a long time!

bulldog04

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 04:54:49 pm »

Now I see why Coach Odom used to beat us with, what most viewed as, less talented teams. He coached them up. I hope we can keep him for a long time!
His teams were more prepared like you are seeing now. They watch a ton of video and know teams tendencies and what plays they will run out of which formations. It helps to know how what the other team is going to do

Arnold Ziffel

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 05:15:09 pm »

Thats gotta be enticing to be coached up by a proven winning staff.  These kids look like they are having fun too!

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 11:31:03 pm »

Bama,  LSU, Ohio st play a lot of man coverage because they have really good DBs, especially corners.  Those guys are all 4 and 5 stars and future NFL players.  Historically that allows them to get more pressure on the QB.  With some of the great offenses out there now zone looks much more effective against teams like Miss st and Mississippi and probably some others.  That's where coaching and scheme really works as we know we can't man up with those guys so Odom designed a great zone D to slow them down.  Great players still make a difference but good strategy and execution can do the same thing. 

Porkerpower

« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:41:54 pm »

Looks to me like Odum prefers the old-fashioned Zone defense coverage versus Man coverage. Which is the old way. But everyone has gotten away from that and wanted good fast corners and gold man to man. Even the best five star corners can you get beat deep I'm single coverage. When you are playing a disguised Zone and no tendencies, you have the ability to take away that deep ball, kinda like we're doing right now.

No one plays Zone much any more, plus we're mixing in a lot of different looks and responsibilities so it's a very sophisticated zone defense at least it looks like it is. But as Odom says, really it's pretty simple to teach the schemes.

Sooie!!!

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:57:43 pm »

the great thing is we aren't just playing zone . at times it is a Hybrid of man and zone . And confuses the Qb's . You see DB's where they shouldn't be in a true zone and Qb's [ Corral got corralled ] . What you think you see Pre snap isn't there after the snap. We are Hiding players pre snap
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas