• 10,292,088 Posts
• 418,549 Topics
• 24,957 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for 10-19  (Read 662 times)

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Questions for 10-19
« on: October 12, 2020, 09:44:14 pm »

Post your questions for next Monday's Q & A in this thread.

Sed76

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: Questions for 10-19
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 10:52:22 pm »

Hypothetical question. If the Big 12 called and said we are expanding. We can come very close or match the money you get from the SEC. Do the powers that be take that call and seriously listen? I get the prestige of the SEC but the regular screw jobs show exactly what the conference thinks of Arkansas.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 11:47:52 am »

Over the past few seasons, I have heard/read some debate about having 9 game conference schedule, instead of 8, with just 3 non-conference games.  Conventional wisdom was that it would stay at 8.

Now - as it has in so many other ways - this pandemic has forced disruptive change into college athletics and we are experiencing, for the first time, a 10 game SEC schedule.  One wonders if we can fully put the genie back into the bottle after this?

I don't expect to retain the 10 game SEC schedule.  But after seeing how much fun this expanded conference schedule can be, I think many more will be for a 9 game SEC schedule sooner than later.

Your thoughts?

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o Derp
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 07:51:38 pm »

After what you have seen so far, what order would you objectively rank the new SEC coaches?

Pittman, Leach, Kiffin, Drinkwitz?

Bonus Question: What do you think it will take to make a bowl and, which of the new coaches will make a bowl this year?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 04:44:09 pm by PorkSoda »

Semper_a_Hog

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:36:15 am »

There is still a lot of emotion from the poor call at the end of the Auburn game. Arkansas fans have felt for a long time that we've been on the wrong side of these calls more often than not, creating the impression that it's deliberate and systematic. Has anyone ever done an objective historical review of calls that have gone against teams and impacted the outcome of games? It'd be interesting to see where Arkansas falls in this review.

WildHog57

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 08:23:39 pm »

Do you think the atmosphere has changed since winning against Mississippi state and losing with that riducals blown call against aubrun?

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 10:40:47 am »

So NOW...the NCAA decides that they will change their rule about reviewing "live ball" situations, effective immediately (but, of course, NOT retroactively).  This just adds to our legacy as "Screw U"...why is it that nothing seems to change until AFTER Arkansas gets jobbed by a bad call or rule?

2009 - After multiple egregious calls against Arkansas in the Swamp, the entire officiating crew is suspended by the SEC...

1982...Terrible and incorrect pass interference call against Arkansas in the SMU game leads to a tie ball game...after the season, the PI rule is changed from a spot foul to 15 yards from the line of scrimmage.

1964 - After more than a decade of college football fans demanding that the AP and UPI conduct a poll AFTER the Bowls are played, it is only after #2 ranked Arkansas defeats Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl to finish 11-0, while defending National Champion Texas (who Arkansas gave their only loss of the season, in Austin) defeated #1 ranked Alabama in the Orange Bowl that the AP changes it's policy (the next season) to conduct such a post-Bowl poll.  As a result, undefeated Arkansas - who obviously would have been a nearly unanimous pick as #1 had a post-Bowl vote been taken in 1964 - is regarded by modern day fans as being the lesser of the claimants on that crown, since they don't understand the dynamics of the situation and just assume whoever AP named was the "better" team.  Ironically (predictably?), Alabama benefits that year and also the next, when their 1 loss, 1 tie team catapults over THREE teams ranked ahead of it in the final regular season AP poll after all 3 lose their Bowl games while Bama wins theirs and is voted #1 in the first ever post-Bowl poll.

#hammerdown

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 03:35:57 pm »

Coach Pittman keeps the injury status of his players very quiet.  He seems to be dissatisfied with players tweeting about their own health.  Does it really make it harder for the opposing coach to game plan based on which players will be on the field?  Isn't the opposing coach game planning against scheme more than personnel?

psychhog

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 08:46:52 pm »

Coach Pittman keeps the injury status of his players very quiet.  He seems to be dissatisfied with players tweeting about their own health.  Does it really make it harder for the opposing coach to game plan based on which players will be on the field?  Isn't the opposing coach game planning against scheme more than personnel?

They probably have enough metrics/info/data to know what type of plays the other coach likes to run with certain personnel, offensively or defensively. I'd say probably better to be safe and keep the info as close as possible prior to game time just to give the other team that little bit of uncertainty leading up to the game.

RazorRunner

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 03:28:32 am »

The box scores for college basketball routinely include a list of each player who got in the game and # minutes played. It would be great to have something like that for football, showing # of reps each player got. Would also be nice to have it grouped by position: DL, LB, DB and OL, TE, RB, QB. It would be interesting to see whos getting how much PT, and it could also shed light on why one team became more dominant late in the game due to the extent of substitutions.

Is there a good reason that this kind of reporting could not be done? Seems that it would be even more of a priority for football than basketball, where, with only 10 on the court, who are more recognizable without helmets and pads, one can get a good feel for whos getting PT and substitution levels just by watching the game.

Superhog1959

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 07:43:33 am »

Hi Mike
I am not trying to beat a dead horse but I have a question concerning the deciding play in the Auburn game.
I spoke personally with a professional referee. He told me one of the refs made a mistake and blew a early whistle. He has had to deal with this issue more than once in his career. After the whistle, play over, dead ball.

I watched the play several times. If the whistle had been blown and the play was dead, how could the Auburn players hold and tackle our guys going for the ball with out that being a personal foul? Activity after a whistle can still result in penalties right? Why was that not called, it was reviewed?

BloodRedHog

• Mortgage Professional
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 06:50:26 pm »

With the Hogs now 3-1*, do you have a new prediction for their final season record? The defense appears to be one of the SECs best.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 10:31:51 pm »

Mike will Barry Odom been DC of the Year in the SEC this year?

my3boneheads

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 07:59:07 am »

How many awards do you think the Arkansas coaching staff will be considered for? Also, how will COVID affect the bowl season? Games are already being postponed.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 08:06:56 am »

Felipe Franks is still trying to pat the ball to sleep instead of taking the 3 or 4 yards given to him.  This looks nothing like a Briles Offense when your duel threat wants to be Joe Montana.

peakhog

• Hogvillian
  • I have been to the mountain top!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 02:28:03 pm »

When is the last time a Razorback Defense has put up 2 goal line stands in the same game? Rebbearsharks had 1st and goal on their first drives of each half.

PooWig

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 03:09:21 pm »

Mike,
How hard will it be to keep this coaching staff together? As weve become more and more successful and had more and more positive press, concerns are already growing of Odom or possibly even Pittman being courted for other jobs. How valid would you say these concerns are?

austin.hogfan

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 06:31:28 pm »

So t seems like TAMU is playing much better and has the same opportunity to get healthy as we do with an extra week.  So other than potentially COVID keeping players out of this game, what do you feel like is the biggest priority we should focus on?

austin.hogfan

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 06:36:40 pm »

With no game this week how are our basketball hogs doing?  When do we get a published schedule?

NashWPS18

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 10:51:28 pm »

Im pulling a Bob Holt here and going for a 2 for 1...

Whats going on with Trey Knox? Is he buried on the WR depth chart? Im assuming hes healthy because I see him on special teams.

Also.. Do we see this offense flow better with a future true dual threat in Hornsby?

bosshawg33

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 01:44:12 am »

By playing @A&M this year and (hopefully) in Fayetteville next year if Hunter gets his wish, does that extend the Jerry World contract 2 years to 2026, or not?

EngrHog

• Bench Warmer
  • WPS - Never Yield
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 09:12:19 am »

Hypothetically if a bunch of new stud recruits wanted on board for 2021, you have to honor current commitments first, right? I wouldn't think this staff would be the type to go back on their relationships with current commits. Seems like a short term gain with potentially long term consequences for hurting relationships with high schools and coaches down the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas