• 10,295,487 Posts
• 418,679 Topics
• 24,965 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Its Been a Long Time  (Read 1258 times)

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
Its Been a Long Time
« on: September 25, 2020, 05:04:28 pm »

It has been a long time ... since 95%+ of the UA fanbase was rallied behind a coach and the team.

Not at all during the 2-year disaster known as the Chad Morris Era.

Not during the final 3 years of CBB's tenure, if at all during his time. He MIGHT have gotten above 90% with the Texas Bowl win vs UT.

Not anywhere close during CBB's first couple of years when the "we coulda had Gus" canard was still raging.

Not at all during JLS.

Now it gets tricky.

We LOVED a BCS appearance under Bobby and the back-to-back 10-win seasons. But, many of us held our breathes about it, figuring he was due to blowup or screw up. If he wasn't producing 10-win seasons I'm not sure how many would have tolerated the sideline explosions and F-bombs on national TV.

He was not popular when he started. Something about that Gus fellow.

Nutt had the fanbase largely aligned until the flirtation with Nebraska, way back in the day. But, if you know the history of Hogville you know that a decent number of fans had seen through the fog before then. Some count the season opener in 2001 vs UNLV, if I have that correct, when Nutt played 4 QBs in the first half. Not one of them was named Matt Jones. Pretty disqualifying for a number of smart football fans.

We were a disgruntled lot going back further, of course. Ken Hatfield did not enjoy his final couple of years when fans openly booed when he didn't pass the ball. But, things were pretty rosy when we won the conference, at least. Not sure that the acrimony amounted to more than 10% of the fans but I bet Frank Broyles felt that it did.

Goodness, Sam Pittman is already WAY ahead of the game, right? I am presuming there won't be many on here who step forward to say they are not a Pittman fan right now. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

We may not win this year, or may not win many, but I am all-in with Pittman. Give him and this rather impressive coaching staff another recruiting class and a real spring practice. If 2020 is not as satisfying as we might prefer, I think 2021 is going to be a nice rebound year. I'm not writing off 2020, though. I can see three wins, if not more, depending on how well covid19 and injuries impact things.

Am I a Pittman Believer? Yesssssir!

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Whole Hog half ham, Arkansas by damn.....!
Re: Its Been a Long Time
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 05:11:57 pm »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Mike_e

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 05:22:39 pm »

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough.  Seems like Christmas.

More like getting your butt kicked standing up for something though.

I'm good either way.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of ‘85
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 05:31:49 pm »

Sam has some things going in his favor:

(1) The success he enjoyed here previously;

(2) The fact that he was one of the most well-respected OL coaches in the nation, as evidenced by Kirby Smart hiring him and Nick Saban trying to;

(3) His ability to put together an outstanding staff of assistants;

(4) His ability to build relationships with players;

(5) His focus on the fundamentals of football;

(6) His personality; and,

(7) His desire to be the HC at Arkansas and his love for our program and state. This is not just “a job” for him; it is “the job,” the one he has worked all his life for.

Will that pay off immediately? I don’t know, but I do believe it will pay off. Like Oklahawg, I believe in Sam.

hobhog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 05:33:31 pm »

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Retired Inimitable War Damn Mockingbird Uni Keeper
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 05:41:31 pm »

UGA arrived about an hour and a half ago. I had actually forgotten the away teams bus in right past my subdivision on the way from XNA to the Embassy. Seven buses worth. Was actually surprised just how normal it felt to see a visiting football team bus in again. Felt like I was out of the snow globe for the first time in a while... That said, Frank em! Go Hogs.

Hamdsome 1

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 05:51:29 pm »

Somewhere and somehow, I’ve developed a “don’t give a chit” mentality about years past. Stated as much a couple of times now.

A comfort has enveloped me since Pittman’s arrival. Just a general sense that everything is going to be OK.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 05:57:18 pm »

One of the more impressive things to me was CSP's hiring of assistants . And since he is so well liked among other coaches , I expect he can replace any we lose with a comparable or even better guy once proven

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 06:09:07 pm »

We chased a few big names over the past few searches, even landed one in pulling Petrino away from the Falcons.  But each time we were left grasping fools gold. 

This time we went with the least flashy hire, but I believe we struck a long deep vein of real gold.  Given the staff and the holes that got filled on both sides of the ball, he could prove to be the best hire of the 4 new SEC coaches this season. 

Long term, Pittman can reestablish this proud program and we will be competitive in the SEC West. 

Hawgphat

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 06:10:07 pm »

I'm an SP & Co. believer.  Yessir.      ;D

alohawg

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 06:11:57 pm »

I like Sam, I always liked Sam, I expect to continue liking Sam. I was happy for Sam when he got the job and fully expect Sam will validate the choice starting tomorrow, win or lose.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of ‘85
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 06:12:55 pm »

One of the things that has helped me is going to his radio shows. I never went to one of Petrino’s, but I did Bielema and Morris. There is zero comparison.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 06:20:06 pm »

Sam has some things going in his favor:

(1) The success he enjoyed here previously;

(2) The fact that he was one of the most well-respected OL coaches in the nation, as evidenced by Kirby Smart hiring him and Nick Saban trying to;

(3) His ability to put together an outstanding staff of assistants;

(4) His ability to build relationships with players;

(5) His focus on the fundamentals of football;

(6) His personality; and,

(7) His desire to be the HC at Arkansas and his love for our program and state. This is not just “a job” for him; it is “the job,” the one he has worked all his life for.

Will that pay off immediately? I don’t know, but I do believe it will pay off. Like Oklahawg, I believe in Sam.

I think/hope that gives him more of a honeymoon with the fans if things don’t go well on this field.

Hogaholism

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 06:31:34 pm »

One of the things that has helped me is going to his radio shows. I never went to one of Petrino’s, but I did Bielema and Morris. There is zero comparison.
lemme guess pride...genuine pride ?

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of ‘85
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 07:44:09 pm »

lemme guess pride...genuine pride ?

Yes, definitely that, but something else, too. Watching Bielema and Morris, I got the impression they were fulfilling an obligation of the job by doing the show. With Sam, I get the impression he enjoys being there.

Rayzback

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 07:53:40 pm »

Seems humble and genuine. Can’t help but hope the best for him.

Roadhog82

• Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 08:08:26 pm »

The fanbase loves Sam Pittman. The players and coaching staff love Sam Pittman. Georgia loved Sam Pittman. The recruits will love Sam Pittman. It stands to reason we will recruit better than ever. Great things are in store for us in the not so distant future

liljo

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 08:25:19 pm »

Amen to the whole notion of it having been a long, long time since the UA fan base has so overwhelmingly supported—not just the head coach, but the whole staff. I personally feel that Coach Pittman will be here a long time and consistently field a tough, tough football team. One that nobody dare take lightly. Nobody.

I’m behind him heart and soul no matter what for a minimum of the next three years. After that, I think EVERYBODY will be behind him all the way.

I know it’ll take time, development of players and recruiting cycles are not quick fixes. But even now, something tells me we’re a lot better team than many folks seem to think. Newsflash! Just going to keep getting better from here on out.

Go Hogs!

nuttless hog

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 08:29:59 pm »

There’s a reason he has not been sleeping well the last couple of days, he knows what they have over there and he knows what we have over here

B Ray

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 08:49:08 pm »

SEC n  sxsA z

Roadhog82

• Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 08:57:45 pm »

pigroots

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 09:13:01 pm »

I agree that everyone is on board...but if winning does not follow quickly how long will the masses stay on board? The SEC is not for the faint of heart

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:05 pm »

Since Rock and Roll!

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 09:26:13 pm »

I am Sam, Son of Sam, Sam I am

PP

Arkamedes

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 09:52:54 pm »

One Day More!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4TbQfgfzvoE

Thought it might never get here...WooPig! GHG!!

seasonhog

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2020, 09:57:10 pm »

It has been a long time ... since 95%+ of the UA fanbase was rallied behind a coach and the team.

Not during the final 3 years of CBB's tenure, if at all during his time. He MIGHT have gotten above 90% with the Texas Bowl win vs UT.

Not anywhere close during CBB's first couple of years when the "we coulda had Gus" canard was still raging.

Not at all during JLS.

Now it gets tricky.

We LOVED a BCS appearance under Bobby and the back-to-back 10-win seasons. But, many of us held our breathes about it, figuring he was due to blowup or screw up. If he wasn't producing 10-win seasons I'm not sure how many would have tolerated the sideline explosions and F-bombs on national TV.

Nutt had the fanbase largely aligned until the flirtation with Nebraska, way back in the day. But, if you know the history of Hogville you know that a decent number of fans had seen through the fog before then. Some count the season opener in 2001 vs UNLV, if I have that correct, when Nutt played 4 QBs in the first half. Not one of them was named Matt Jones. Pretty disqualifying for a number of smart football fans.

We were a disgruntled lot going back further, of course. Ken Hatfield did not enjoy his final couple of years when fans openly booed when he didn't pass the ball. But, things were pretty rosy when we won the conference, at least. Not sure that the acrimony amounted to more than 10% of the fans but I bet Frank Broyles felt that it did.

Goodness, Sam Pittman is already WAY ahead of the game, right? I am presuming there won't be many on here who step forward to say they are not a Pittman fan right now. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

We may not win this year, or may not win many, but I am all-in with Pittman. Give him and this rather impressive coaching staff another recruiting class and a real spring practice. If 2020 is not as satisfying as we might prefer, I think 2021 is going to be a nice rebound year. I'm not writing off 2020, though. I can see three wins, if not more, depending on how well covid19 and injuries impact things.

OK Coach.....your the boss, " SHOW US "

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 10:05:07 pm »

If I see simply better effort with a hint of wanting to own the game I'll be satisfified.  I think we will see that.  A win would be a bonus.

Not slamming past guys as I feel it starts at the top and works it way down.  I feel the top has improved.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 11:09:32 pm »

they at the end of the season  need to lock this up as a 4 year rebuild if we play like we as fans expect . Unless this season is a total bust and washout , he needs a 4 year minimum

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2020, 11:24:25 pm »

I haven't been this excited about the future of Hogs football since, well forever. 

This year is an anomaly that won't affect my outlook on the future.  Unless, of course, we shock the world.  Then I will be even more excited!

Hawgman1956

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2020, 01:37:19 am »

Not at all during JLS.

Now it gets tricky.

Hopeful but afraid Pittman does not have take charge or confidence to lead team to heights.
Will never come close to Hogville hated Nutt and could not carry Hatfields water bottle I am afraid.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2020, 02:30:26 am »

Pittmans wife lives in the same state as him, that’s a plus.

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2020, 02:50:51 am »

Pittmans wife lives in the same state as him, that’s a plus.
well, did she move to the plains with her husband, or is she still in TexAss?

PP

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2020, 03:12:30 am »

well, did she move to the plains with her husband, or is she still in TexAss?

PP
good question. I wonder if chad will be in Oklahoma to watch chandler instead of coaching on Saturdays like he did here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas