• 10,295,488 Posts
• 418,679 Topics
• 24,965 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CBS Sports- SEC experts picks most overrated/underrated/bold predicitions  (Read 1681 times)

Hogwild

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2020-sec-expert-picks-most-overrated-and-underrated-teams-order-of-finish-bold-season-predictions/

Overrated=
Georgia: Let me get this straight. We are going to put faith in a Georgia offense that has a revamped offensive line, a No. 1 running back in Zamir White who hasn't held that job in previous years, a transfer quarterback in J.T. Daniels who inherited the job after Jamie Newman's departure and hasn't been medically cleared to play, a wide receiving corps that has one established weapon in George Pickens, and a brand new offensive coordinator in Todd Monken? Nope. In a normal offseason with spring practice season? Maybe. But not in 2020. Georgia's defense is stellar and will keep the Bulldogs in every game. There's no doubt about that. But will that offense be consistent enough to put Georgia in the College Football Playoff? Not a chance. -- Barrett Sallee

Auburn: The quarterback has always been the most important position in football, but in recent years, it's become even more important. When I look at the teams expected to compete in the SEC West this season, Auburn's quarterback situation is the one I have the most questions about. Elsewhere, there's been a lot of attention on how much LSU has to replace -- and it's a lot -- but Auburn loses a lot of production as well. I think there's just a little too much assuming going on with this Auburn team. Of course, keep in mind that when I call Auburn "overrated," I mean it in the sense that I'm comfortable calling it a top 15 team ... just not a top 10 team. -- Tom Fornelli

Underrated

Auburn: If Chad Morris can assist in opening up the passing game -- and the potential is there with Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz as one of the top wide receiver duos in the SEC -- then we could see a big step forward for Bo Nix in year two. The losses of Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson are significant, but the defense still has elite players at all three levels and has recruited well enough to avoid a drop off on that side of the ball. But go ahead and keep underrating Auburn because that's exactly how they like it. It doesn't have to make sense, and it probably won't. Doesn't matter if it's Ole Miss, Georgia, LSU or Alabama, pretty much everything is a one-score game with the Tigers. I think Auburn ends up on the right side of those enough to exceed expectations in 2020. -- Patterson

Ole Miss: First-year coach Lane Kiffin made his mark on the college football world as an offensive genius. That reputation will be further solidified this season when he puts fuel additive in an already-potent Rebel attack. The trio of quarterback John Rhys Plumlee, running back Jerrion Ealy and wide receiver Elijah Moore is the most underrated three-headed monster in the nation. They finished 0-5 last season in games decided by one possession (eight or fewer points). As long as the defense is decent, that kind of bad luck will not continue in 2020. The Rebels won't contend for the division title, but they're going to scare the daylights out of a lot of contenders

Bold predictions
Dennis Dodd: Mississippi State's KJ Costello will lead the SEC in passing.
Chip Patterson: After LSU crashed the party in 2019, the road to winning the SEC West will be back in its former position with the division being decided in the Iron Bowl.

Tom Fornelli: Since the SEC wasn't smart enough to schedule a game between Arkansas and Vanderbilt, it will have to live with the indignity of having two winless teams this season.

Barrett Sallee: Florida's Kyle Trask will lead the SEC in passing en route to the SEC East title and a berth in the SEC Championship Game.

Ben Kercheval: Similar to Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts, Bryce Young will eventually be thrust into the spotlight at Alabama even though Mac Jones starts the season as QB1.

Jerry Palm: The SEC will do more schedule shuffling than any other league and not all of the games will get played.

David Cobb: Vanderbilt and Arkansas will both go winless

247Hog

Re: CBS Sports- SEC experts picks most overrated/underrated/bold predicitions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 01:44:56 pm »

Well thatís depressing.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 01:49:27 pm »

who are these nerds? lol

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You'll get your chance, smart guy
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 01:55:44 pm »

who are these nerds? lol

Guys among those same nerds who predicted us to go 0-8 in the SEC the last two years.

Lol.

Roadhog82

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 01:57:03 pm »

Here's my bold prediction.....We will NOT go winless! Not even close. But I guess, who can blame them for thinking that. Still, It pisses me off to read it

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:02:45 pm »

Hopefully we use it as fuel to improve. Our program has been a laughing stock for the last 2 years and on a downward slide before that.

kaiserhog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Kaiser Willie I, A True Hog Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 02:16:37 pm »

Ignore them.  They are no smarter than your average fans.  They just make noise.

rhames

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 02:46:30 pm »

who are these nerds? lol

The same ones that if they predicted us to just go .500 this board would crown as the best in the business.

Roadhog82

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 03:23:47 pm »

The same ones that if they predicted us to just go .500 this board would crown as the best in the business.

I know I would. But they didn't so they're idiots >:(

MemphisBossHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 07:26:33 pm »

Well thatís depressing.

its really just as simple as this:  Win and folks will have to take notice.  Losing 18-19 in a row is not going to get prognosticators to give us any benefit of the doubt.  Plus Sam never having been an HC or even a Coordinator (I know he was an HC in a community college years and years ago) doesnt give the so called pundits a reason to believe.  However, look at what they say about Ole Miss and their darling Lane Kiffin.  Now I didnt know OMiss has 16 4 and 5 star prospects compared to our 6 and UGA's 50+.  Certainly a big disparity in talent on paper, but here is to hoping that Sam and Kendall and Barry O will coach em up like Petrino and his staff did and lets just make some progress. Lets be competitive and build on that.

Roadhog82

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 07:43:33 pm »

Now I didnt know OMiss has 16 4 and 5 star prospects compared to our 6 and UGA's 50+.  Certainly a big disparity in talent on paper, but here is to hoping that Sam and Kendall and Barry O will coach em up like Petrino and his staff did and lets just make some progress. Lets be competitive and build on that.

We have 20 4&5 stars on our roster. Not sure where you got 6, unless you were accidentally looking at Vandy. I believe they have 6

Roadhog82

• Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 10:18:21 pm »

20! That ought to be worth at least 3 wins with decent coaching

East Clintwood

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 10:36:24 pm »

Ignore them.  They are no smarter than your average fans.  They just make noise.

And they get paid to do so.

jwesley

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 10:49:44 pm »

Arkansas will not be winless.  Pound that in stone.

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 11:06:48 pm »

its really just as simple as this:  Win and folks will have to take notice.  Losing 18-19 in a row is not going to get prognosticators to give us any benefit of the doubt.  Plus Sam never having been an HC or even a Coordinator (I know he was an HC in a community college years and years ago) doesnt give the so called pundits a reason to believe.  However, look at what they say about Ole Miss and their darling Lane Kiffin.  Now I didnt know OMiss has 16 4 and 5 star prospects compared to our 6 and UGA's 50+.  Certainly a big disparity in talent on paper, but here is to hoping that Sam and Kendall and Barry O will coach em up like Petrino and his staff did and lets just make some progress. Lets be competitive and build on that.
yup, sometimes it just takes 1-2 dynamic players to make a difference, not to go undefeated mind you. 

PP

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 11:09:49 pm »

We are and have never been primarily a football school.   We will be lucky, very lucky, to win a game this year.  We are not relevant to college football.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Whole Hog half ham, Arkansas by damn.....!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 05:27:50 am »

We are and have never been primarily a football school.   We will be lucky, very lucky, to win a game this year.  We are not relevant to college football.

Maybe not, but we are relevant to Arkansas football, and thatís all I care about today.

Shrevepork

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 05:50:18 am »

Then why in the heck are you even bothering to post on MMQB?
Plus, in the 60's we were very relevant and were primarily a football school, so don't say NEVER.
Are you an Aggie?

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 06:30:04 am »

Guys among those same nerds who predicted us to go 0-8 in the SEC the last two years.

Lol.

There was a history to justify last year's predicition.......not for this year.

RyanMallettsEgo

• You'll get your chance, smart guy
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 08:38:46 am »

They did the same for Morrisís first year.

Redhogs

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 09:44:29 am »

Correct......

thebignasty

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 09:47:35 am »

Picking a team that's lost 19 conference games in a row to continue losing conference games isnt a bold prediction, thats the real criticism here.

Maaldri

• Band Nerd
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 09:56:26 am »

Lol.

Even a blind hog finds a nut every once in a while. Hogs 21 Dogs 17.

rhames

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 10:06:14 am »

Even a blind hog finds a nut every once in a while. Hogs 21 Dogs 17.

You must be hanging out with Pig and the Pokey this morning hitting that afgan kush :)

Maaldri

• Band Nerd
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 10:07:38 am »

You must be hanging out with Pig and the Pokey this morning hitting that afgan kush :)

Don't know who that is. But anybody got any hot cheetos?

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Retired Inimitable War Damn Mockingbird Uni Keeper

One Fly Pig

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 02:19:07 am »

I little contradictory there  ;) 

Though luck certainly could play a significant role in any game we win this year, especially this weird 2020, the team showed me enough fight today to believe we could win a couple on grit and performance.  And if we do win, I certainly won't take ANYTHING away from this team or its coaches.  They will have earned it.  I don't care if the team we beat is down to 53 scholly players, a QB, 7 OL, and 4 DL, or whatever the minimum requirements are.  I won't give credit for the victory away to luck, chance, circumstance, or whatever.  This team has worked too hard for me to verbally take away a victory.  A win is a win.  Now, if we had an Andrew Luck, that would be a different story.  I might give credit to Luck in that case  :P

As for relevance, a team has to start somewhere.  We're not gonna win a championship of any sort this year, but perhaps we will have something to say about who actually does.  That would be the beginning of relevance, imho.  Go Hogs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas