• 10,295,475 Posts
• 418,679 Topics
• 24,965 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What we are up against!!!  (Read 3644 times)

Sweet Feet

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: What we are up against!!!
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2020, 05:46:41 pm »

---> The SEC did not need to get deeper.  Other conferences did.  Said it at the time.  Why I didn't want A&M.

Totally agree.
The SEC is usually a leader in things. Like now, they're leading the pack, rightly or wrongly, on deciding to play football now. Now the Big Ten is forced to reverse course and follow suit.

But with the conference expansions, I felt the SEC caved to the moment and decided to expand just because that's what everyone else was doing. They feared standing pat. But the SEC didn't HAVE to do anything. It was already the strongest league in football. In basketball, A&M and Missouri are good but you're not adding dominant programs there that will greatly enhance the league's basketball status either.

The SEC HAD to expand in 1992 in order to get to 12 and have a championship football game. They didn't have to do squat in 2012 but played follow the leader then.

It has hurt Arkansas more than most, and I also hate that geographically they brought in a poor fit with Missouri who is clearly a Midwestern state that should be playing Kansas every year, not Alabama.

Just a dumb move by the SEC.

I would argue West Virginia would've been a better geographical fit instead of Missouri. Those two should swap

PorkSoda

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2020, 05:56:45 pm »

It has hurt Arkansas more than most,

Just a dumb move by the SEC.
because the SEC clearly cares about what is good for Arkansas...

The move was about money, always was.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2020, 06:31:54 pm »

No, agreed, they didn't care about Arkansas much.

Only reason we were added in 1992 was they needed two warm bodies to get from 10 to 12 to have a conference title game. All driven by football, of course. Ark or S Car didn't bring that much to the table, Ark more than S Car, but even with our somewhat proud tradition, it's still mid-tier in the SEC. They really wanted Florida State who was a national power at the time, but Bobby Bowden felt he had an easier path to a title where he was, rightly so.

Arkansas was looking to jump, Frank was smart and knew the SWC wasn't going to last, and maneuvered Arkansas in.

The SEC obviously didn't care much about the impact on Arkansas by adding A&M and Missouri.

The SEC obviously thumbed a middle finger at Arkansas by taking away a coveted Holiday game with LSU.

The SEC obviously thumbed two middle fingers at Arkansas with the 2020 football schedule.

I'm getting depressed writing this. In reality, I think Arkansas has more respect than that, I really do, but when typing it out there sure are a lot of negatives in there.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:23 pm »

College football was much different in 1992.  Plus Frank was powerful and helped lead the programs to the lucrative tv contracts with the CFA in the 80s. You have to consider the money and politics along with on the field.  Frank made us a player especially with his tv ties and ties to the South.

logic

« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2020, 12:04:01 pm »

Only 11 can fit on the field at any one time. To win, we just need 1 of our 11 to beat 1 of theirs and for our coaches to exploit that.
If only! The problem with that is...Georgia is better than us at every position.  However, our first team might be competitive against their second team.

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2020, 01:19:45 pm »

Been the 24-28th best team in the country and around 9-11th in the SEC for the last 6 years. The talent levels have grossly underperformed especially the last 4 seasons.

About a 3rd of our 4 stars will contribute little to nothing today, because of youth or other 3*s are just better. Also though should remember players like Boyd and Gerald are 3*s and not many I think I would trade them for.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas