• 10,286,951 Posts
• 418,363 Topics
• 24,955 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Razorback folklore, tall tales, myths, etc.  (Read 4755 times)

PonderinHog

Re: Razorback folklore, tall tales, myths, etc.
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2020, 07:23:14 am »

A quite prominent basketball player once missed a game from a twisted ankle "in practice" after he jumped out my back apartment window when his girlfriend showed up at the front door.
Damn!  What floor were you on?

Arkansas WR

• Varsity
  • Cracking ankles and taking names
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2020, 08:28:50 am »

Heard about a dude who used to get out on the roof of Old Main.  Bet he was well versed on the tunnels too.

Daryll Royal's fulminating spectral head is still down  in one of them, I reckon.

I've heard about people getting on the roof of Old Main too. I am pretty sure someone got expelled because they did this about 5 years ago.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Arkansas WR

• Varsity
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2020, 08:34:08 am »

Held a kegger at College Park and Fred Talley and crew decided to pop in and grab a beer.  Talley asks this chick to take him home.  I had a crush on her and happened to walk outside my third floor apartment to see them walking to her car.  I run down and hop in the back seat and Talley looks at me like, “WTH?!?!?”   I tell him she’s a good friend and just wanted to make sure she gets home safely.  Appreciate his contributions to my favorite team on the planet.  We get to his dorm and he opens the door and looks at my friend and says, “Wanna walk me to my room?”  I guess you could say I Gamecock blocked him.  Haha

Rakeem Boyd stole my girl the other day, but honestly I ain't mad. I say "my girl" but she is kind of a hoe. One of my buddies said he knew a neighbor that lived next to Rakeem in an apartment complex. Our running back stays hitting it from the back. Just get 1k rushing yards dammit.

YellCountyHog21

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2020, 08:47:28 am »

Rakeem Boyd stole my girl the other day, but honestly I ain't mad. I say "my girl" but she is kind of a hoe. One of my buddies said he knew a neighbor that lived next to Rakeem in an apartment complex. Our running back stays hitting it from the back. Just get 1k rushing yards dammit.

Doesn't surprise me based on his snapchat stories

FineAsSwine

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2020, 08:53:29 am »

TMI bro. TMI. Btw, I get the first two sentences but how does the rest relate especially the "hitting it from the back" part? How could you know this unless of course you are now so heartbroken that now you've become a "peeping Hog".

Let it go bro and next time a girl breaks your heart get drunk. Don't post.

Arkansas WR

• Varsity
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2020, 08:56:08 am »

TMI bro. TMI. Btw, I get the first two sentences but how does the rest relate especially the "hitting it from the back" part? How could you know this unless of course you are now so heartbroken that now you've become a "peeping Hog".

Let it go bro and next time a girl breaks your heart get drunk. Don't post.

?? Im not heartbroken. Just trying to share a funny encounter. Plus read the the title of this thread before you come in here with that crap. Its all in good fun.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 08:58:07 am »

I blocked a Corliss Williamson shot in high school and then turned around and got dunked on by him.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2020, 09:00:41 am »

?? Im not heartbroken. Just trying to share a funny encounter. Plus read the the title of this thread before you come in here with that crap. Its all in good fun.

Denial.... It's not just a river in Egypt.  ;D

Arkansas WR

• Varsity
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2020, 09:02:23 am »

Denial.... It's not just a river in Egypt.  ;D

Sorry you obviously never had much game in college, but I'll be just fine buddy.

Andrew Hogfan

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2020, 09:05:40 am »

Was at my buddies apartment when Bua and Mark Pierce come over to smoke and play NCAA football. Cops get called because we were too loud. My buddy opens the door and the cop said " whew fellas where is the marijuana!" Tony Bua gets an inch away from the cop's face and says " we don't have any, we already smoked it all!" I freaked out lol. I just knew I was going to jail. They just made us all leave but my buddy did wind up get evicted over it.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:37 am »

Sorry you obviously never had much game in college, but I'll be just fine buddy.

Yes you will because you if you were a football player you've had much tougher ribbing than this. Let's end it there. I was just poking fun at you I wasn't trying to rile you up.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:46 am »

...I dunno, y'all....maybe this thread was a bad idea... :-\

:o

FineAsSwine

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2020, 09:11:04 am »

...I dunno, y'all....maybe this thread was a bad idea... :-\

:o

Lol. Ok bro, if it saves the thread, I won't post in here again.

Arkansas WR

• Varsity
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2020, 09:12:47 am »

Was at my buddies apartment when Bua and Mark Pierce come over to smoke and play NCAA football. Cops get called because we were too loud. My buddy opens the door and the cop said " whew fellas where is the marijuana!" Tony Bua gets an inch away from the cop's face and says " we don't have any, we already smoked it all!" I freaked out lol. I just knew I was going to jail. They just made us all leave but my buddy did wind up get evicted over it.

More of this hahaha. Keep these stories coming.

liljo

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2020, 09:23:34 am »

Lol. Ok bro, if it saves the thread, I won't post in here again.
Wasn't referring to anything I've seen you post...bro...

Carry on!

carolinahogger

• Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2020, 09:24:24 am »

The football team had a down year in the fall of 80 (7-5)...

Ah, the good old days, when 7-5 was a down year...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2020, 09:29:56 am »

wish I could share the bad stuff... lol

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • White Rock Mountain Pavilion.
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2020, 09:36:56 am »

A quite prominent basketball player once missed a game from a twisted ankle "in practice" after he jumped out my back apartment window when his girlfriend showed up at the front door.

I  believe I now know who you are.

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2020, 09:37:21 am »

I heard that Chad Morris once rappelled down from the rafters on signing day.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2020, 09:38:08 am »

Ok, I took the bait now go ahead and set the hook. I'm all ears.

PonderinHog

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2020, 09:38:23 am »

I ain't tellin' the one I heard about Kenny Hatfield in the sixties, then...   :-X

liljo

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2020, 09:39:15 am »

I now know who you are.

Is this like, "I know what you did last summer." ? ? ? ???

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • White Rock Mountain Pavilion.
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2020, 09:44:05 am »

Is this like, "I know what you did last summer." ? ? ? ???

No. I believe I know his real name now. My best friend that passed away had that happen at his apartment.  Unless it happened more than once at another apartment he was his roommate.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2020, 09:44:41 am »

I ain't tellin' the one I heard about Kenny Hatfield in the sixties, then...   :-X

You can't tell that one anyway bc you that would violate the NDA. I have a story that I can't tell about a Razorback All-American and recruiting violations. Even though the statute of limitations has passed, I live by the code. Snitches get stiches.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:51 am »

Ok, I took the bait now go ahead and set the hook. I'm all ears.
If they werent good friends id be all for it. Petrino days after home games the Parties were at Wrights house. Watched Mallett run over his mailbox after the UTEP game in 2010... the slopes were strong!!

liljo

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2020, 09:59:44 am »

You can't tell that one anyway bc you that would violate the NDA. I have a story that I can't tell about a Razorback All-American and recruiting violations. Even though the statute of limitations has passed, I live by the code. Snitches get stiches.
...and rats are a dyin' breed...

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2020, 10:08:06 am »

Some good stuff in here. Keep em coming.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • HOTTY TODDY...may I have another?
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2020, 10:13:19 am »

My very uneventful basketball-related contribution.

My freshman year (back then student tickets were reserved/assigned) my football tickets were right behind Scott Hastings and Joe Kleine. It was Joe's first year on campus, sitting out, so didn't really know much about him at the time. Those 2 were pretty funny, usually enhanced by the cocktails they'd mix during the games.

And, I had Alvin Robertson in my geology lab. He sat right across the table from me. We'd occasionally exchange a hello, but I really should have worn him down with sappy adulation—hey man, I went the the SWC Tournament the year you got MVP...remember that? Instead, all we did was pass the dolomite samples back and forth.

This one, on the other hand, sounds pretty bad-ass—

Boog41

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2020, 10:17:16 am »

I worked at a liquor store near campus. One night, we caught Kenny Hutchinson & Byron Irvin stealing a fifth of Tanqueray Gin.

Town & Country?

FineAsSwine

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:24 am »

I worked at a liquor store near campus. One night, we caught Kenny Hutchinson & Byron Irvin stealing a fifth of Tanqueray Gin.

Damn, it took two of 'em to carry that bottle. They must have been drunk as hell.

BudHawg

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2020, 10:36:09 am »

If they werent good friends id be all for it. Petrino days after home games the Parties were at Wrights house. Watched Mallett run over his mailbox after the UTEP game in 2010... the slopes were strong!!

Mallet really was wild during that time lol

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2020, 10:46:37 am »

Mallet really was wild during that time lol
With what I saw its amazing none of our better players ever got popped on tests... lol.. Mallet was crazy but he would just disappear a lot of times..lol

rufus

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2020, 10:54:13 am »

Ron Huery and Doug Hutchinson took Nolan's customized van for a joyride and high centered it in our parking lot while tryin to leave a party.
Allie Freeman would often visit us for dinner.
Mario Credit was interested in our pirated copies of dozens of games for the commodore 64
Stephan Moore didn't take to cursing I found out the hard way while playing ping pong in the athletic dorm
William Mills always called me Harold even though my name isn't Harold
Freddie Childress face palmed the sig ep's president and was about to body slam him until it took several guys to cool him off
Freddie also managed to show up for history class on exam day
Philip Mckellar was also in that class but I don't remember much about him
Andrew Lang and I went to high school together
This chick I knew but never dated called me one night and wanted me to bail her out of jail
         "DC and I got busted drinking out at Lake Fayetteville". I didnt have the money and found out later DC was Donnie Centers.

It was Jan or Feb 1989 and my buddy and I were sitting around drinking beer.  The Hogs had lost to Texas Tech  earlier in the day and it had been snowing so we were staying put until Matt called from Drake field. He asked if we could pick him up. My buddy had a 4x4 so we said sure. When we got to the airport not only did Matt get in but Todd Day and Lee Mayberry did too. We said something like "hey guys what's up" and Todd Day just grimaced. We rode along for 10-15 minutes in awkward silence until Todd asks " Did you watch the game?" We did and said so but kinda downplayed it because it seemed to be a touchy subject. I could only imagine what Nolan had to say on the flight home. Todd then says something along the lines of  "We played like stuff". Well I wasn't about to tell 2 future NBA players they played like stuff so I told them they had a really good team and the best was yet to come. That seemed to cheer them up a bit and the rest of the ride was uneventful. That team went on to win the SWC regular season and tournament but lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA to Louisville.

ATU HOG

• Senior
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2020, 10:59:55 am »

I saw Alex Collins in the HPER and we were both shooting hoops by ourselves.

Ended up playing HORSE and I beat him twice.  Also played one on one, beat him by two.  It was basically a normal one on one game where all we do is shoot 3s.  He then started to play hardcore defense and I couldn't get away from him (hence the D1 compared to my NAIA)

Ended up hitting about a 35 footer to beat him, but it was awesome.

Had a lot of interaction with athletes with my time on campus, pretty cool seeing everyday heroes in day-to-day life.

BudHawg

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2020, 11:02:57 am »

With what I saw its amazing none of our better players ever got popped on tests... lol.. Mallet was crazy but he would just disappear a lot of times..lol

I was living in Conway at the time, but would come back up on the weekends for the parties. He loved to talk s**t haha

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2020, 11:04:50 am »

My senior year we were playing PA #1 at the time...

Greg Childs was a sophomore playing D end for us... first play of the game he tipped a pass, intercepted it, ran 60 yards and dunked it through the goal post.

Never saw my high school coach that mad during my years.... went on to win 46-0... just annihilated them... the next season they moved up a class and started the going for it every 4th down and onside kick method..lol

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:31 am »

I was living in Conway at the time, but would come back up on the weekends for the parties. He loved to talk s**t haha
You ever end up at Jays house by chance? lol

BudHawg

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2020, 11:36:44 am »

You ever end up at Jays house by chance? lol

Once or twice lol. I was a little older at time like 23-24. My brothers best friend was a freshman on the team in 2009. He had a sister that was a volunteer with the team. We all grew up together. She was close with the players and always knew where the party was.

Bacons Rebellion

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2020, 11:42:32 am »

No. I believe I know his real name now. My best friend that passed away had that happen at his apartment.  Unless it happened more than once at another apartment he was his roommate.

I'm FB friends with that roomate, so I guess it has happened multiple times.

You'd think basketball players would know how to land after comig down from a height, huh?

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2020, 11:43:23 am »

Ron Huery and Doug Hutchinson took Nolan's customized van for a joyride and high centered it in our parking lot while tryin to leave a party.
Allie Freeman would often visit us for dinner.
Mario Credit was interested in our pirated copies of dozens of games for the commodore 64
Stephan Moore didn't take to cursing I found out the hard way while playing ping pong in the athletic dorm
William Mills always called me Harold even though my name isn't Harold
Freddie Childress face palmed the sig ep's president and was about to body slam him until it took several guys to cool him off
Freddie also managed to show up for history class on exam day
Philip Mckellar was also in that class but I don't remember much about him
This chick I knew but never dated called me one night and wanted me to bail her out of jail
         "DC and I got busted drinking out at Lake Fayetteville". I didnt have the money and found out later DC was Donnie Centers.

It was Jan or Feb 1989 and my buddy and I were sitting around drinking beer.  The Hogs had lost to Texas Tech  earlier in the day and it had been snowing so we were staying put until Matt called from Drake field. He asked if we could pick him up. My buddy had a 4x4 so we said sure. When we got to the airport not only did Matt get in but Todd Day and Lee Mayberry did too. We said something like "hey guys what's up" and Todd Day just grimaced. We rode along for 10-15 minutes in awkward silence until Todd asks " Did you watch the game?" We did and said so but kinda downplayed it because it seemed to be a touchy subject. I could only imagine what Nolan had to say on the flight home. Todd then says something along the lines of  "We played like stuff". Well I wasn't about to tell 2 future NBA players they played like stuff so I told them they had a really good team and the best was yet to come. That seemed to cheer them up a bit and the rest of the ride was uneventful. That team went on to win the SWC regular season and tournament but lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA to Louisville.

Great stuff Rufus

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2020, 02:31:45 pm »

There was some chatter on the Wisconsin campus that ole Bert liked to, well um, have his salad tossed.

Bert probably preferred syrup AND jelly.  Or maybe Titos vodka

NoogaHog

• Hogvillian
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2020, 04:22:38 pm »

Me, too. DHS '86.

Anyway, a story I've told on here before. Not wild or crazy, just kinda weird. A friend and I went to catch some of the King Cotton Tournament at the PBCC during Corliss Williamson's senior year at Russellville. After the games we went to the bar at the hotel adjacent to the Convention Center. I went to the bar to get a couple of beers and look to my left and Corliss is sitting there cooly nursing a beer by himself. It kind of surprised me that he was there, being that he was 17 or 18 at the time. Nobody was bothering him, and I'm sure the drink was taken care of. I smiled, said "good game tonight" and went on about my business. He nodded back to me and said thanks, and that was that.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Retired Inimitable War Damn Mockingbird Uni Keeper
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2020, 08:13:14 pm »

Bezdek and I were pretty tight in his first full "pre-Razorback" season. I'm kinda old.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2020, 08:46:34 pm »

Damn, it took two of 'em to carry that bottle. They must have been drunk as hell.

Well, when one took the bottle off the shelf and was sticking it in the others jacket and helping him button it up so it wouldn’t show...yeah, it was a joint effort.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2020, 08:47:26 pm »

I gotta ask...who was she trying to catch him with?🤔

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2020, 08:48:10 pm »

Town & Country?

North side of campus

Anybody

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2020, 10:04:38 pm »

Approximately 26 years ago, I took my son to the Dallas Cowboys old Texas Stadium for a meet and greet the players and coaches down on the field.  My son had Jerry Jones sign an official NFL card of the Cowboys Head Coach Jimmy Johnson across his chest.  Years later, we ran into Jerry at a Razorback event (night before an Arkansas vs. Texas A&M game at
AT&T Stadium).  We asked Jerry if he had ever signed another card like this, and he replied no. This apparently is a
"one-of-a kind", probably worth a little something.   

Jimmy has always been my favorite coach.  Frank Broyles has stated on numerous occasions that the reason he never hired Jimmy as Head Coach of the Razorbacks, was because he didn't think he would be a good coach.  Oh well.

GO HOGS - Beat Georgia !

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2020, 10:16:13 pm »

Good thread

Maaldri

• Band Nerd
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:25 pm »

Good thread

I got even better stories! But not willing to share them publicly.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:33:54 pm by Maaldri »

The Boar War

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2020, 10:26:34 pm »

I've heard about people getting on the roof of Old Main too. I am pretty sure someone got expelled because they did this about 5 years ago.

My grandfather did back in 1946.  I tried to but the access was locked up pretty tight.  I didn’t want to break university property and (as you mentioned) get expelled.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas