• 10,295,487 Posts
• 418,679 Topics
• 24,965 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Razorback folklore, tall tales, myths, etc.  (Read 4827 times)

FineAsSwine

Re: Razorback folklore, tall tales, myths, etc.
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2020, 11:21:41 pm »

I worked at a liquor store near campus. One night, we caught Kenny Hutchinson & Byron Irvin stealing a fifth of Tanqueray Gin.

Damn, it took two of 'em to carry that bottle. They must have been drunk as hell.

Well, when one took the bottle off the shelf and was sticking it in the others jacket and helping him button it up so it wouldn’t show...yeah, it was a joint effort.

Well.... that explains it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:31:53 pm by FineAsSwine »

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2020, 12:08:09 am »

My very uneventful basketball-related contribution.

My freshman year (back then student tickets were reserved/assigned) my football tickets were right behind Scott Hastings and Joe Kleine. It was Joe's first year on campus, sitting out, so didn't really know much about him at the time. Those 2 were pretty funny, usually enhanced by the cocktails they'd mix during the games.

And, I had Alvin Robertson in my geology lab. He sat right across the table from me. We'd occasionally exchange a hello, but I really should have worn him down with sappy adulation—hey man, I went the the SWC Tournament the year you got MVP...remember that? Instead, all we did was pass the dolomite samples back and forth.

This one, on the other hand, sounds pretty bad-ass—

You're right. It was weak.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2020, 01:58:39 am »

Heard that Gary Blair was abusive toward some of the girls on the women's team when he coached here at Arkansas and that he threw a basketball and hit one girl in the face and bloodied her nose during a practice.

A couple of girl's from the team went to Nolan and Nolan walked over there and told Blair that if it happened again he was going to kick Blair's ass.
was her name Marsha?

PP

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Whole Hog half ham, Arkansas by damn.....!
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2020, 05:37:14 am »

I've talked about this before, but the night before the Texas game in '85 me and a buddy sneaked into the newly updated Razorback Stadium.  It was the first game there after the upper deck was added to the west side.  Stoned and drunk, we giggled around the skyboxes and were not quiet about it....didn't seem like anyone was around.

Then walking out of a box we literally ran right into FB giving some big shots a personal tour.  He gave me a look that I won't forget.  I grew up knowing he's not a man you **** with.  He never said a word, and walked right past us, continuing to lead a dozen or so nicely dressed and well-financed 'adults' down the hall.  As they walked by, they grinned (obviously knowing what we were up to) and we feigned a smile back.

Fell in behind the back of the group and exited ASAFP out the same way we got in.  After that awful loss less than 24 hrs later, we saw many players out and about partying like we actually won the damn game.  That part I remember as a downer, kinda disappointed me.  Sitting on a buddy's tailgate somewhere in the middle of all the madness, BJ Edmonds, Greg Thomas, and someone we didn't recognize walked up and asked for a beer....pulled out a pint of Jack and washed it down with Bud.  We chatted for a minute, but they didn't seem the least bit upset.  Oh well.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2020, 06:24:06 am »

My dad made Bobby Crockett a fake ID and drove him and his girlfriend to a neighboring state so they could get married.

oldhawg

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2020, 06:50:34 am »

My dad made Bobby Crockett a fake ID and drove him and his girlfriend to a neighboring state so they could get married.

Okay, that's a good one.  Was your Dad the witness at the ceremony?

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2020, 07:02:39 am »

Okay, that's a good one.  Was your Dad the witness at the ceremony?
yea and there was a rule at the time about freshman not supposed to be married or something.

#hammerdown

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2020, 08:20:07 am »

I was in a computer store in Fayetteville one day when I recognized Quinn Grovey.  He was talking to the sales person and said "I'm just a poor college student.  Can't you give me a discount?"  Back then computers cost a couple grand.  The sales person said "sorry man, can't do it."

That was the day I realized we were at a disadvantage.  Texas was giving away cars to their players and we couldn't even give a discount on a computer to our star QB.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2020, 08:43:35 am »

I was in a computer store in Fayetteville one day when I recognized Quinn Grovey.  He was talking to the sales person and said "I'm just a poor college student.  Can't you give me a discount?"  Back then computers cost a couple grand.  The sales person said "sorry man, can't do it."

That was the day I realized we were at a disadvantage.  Texas was giving away cars to their players and we couldn't even give a discount on a computer to our star QB.
I laughed hard at this one..lol

Jules Winnfield

« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2020, 08:58:57 am »

I got to speak at an awards dinner one night in Little Rock which was also a big fundraiser. I was supposed to sit at the table with the other speakers, however someone knew I was a huge Razorback fan and sat me at the table with Frank Broyles and Nolan Richardson. Frank fell asleep at the table but Coach Richardson and I talked much of the night. He was such a nice and humble man to me and I have never forgotten how he treated me. He asked me who my all time favorite Hog basketball player was and I said I had never seen anyone play harder than Corey Beck. So I would have to say Corey Beck. Nolan smiled and very warmly said "mine too".

Jules Winnfield

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2020, 09:11:21 am »

Frank Ragnow stopped one night after a game coming out of the stadium and picked my 5 year old son up and put him on his knee and talked to him for a few minutes. My kid turned into a Razorback fanatic over night. This was his first game playing after he lost his father.

liljo

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2020, 09:15:38 am »

I got to speak at an awards dinner one night in Little Rock which was also a big fundraiser. I was supposed to sit at the table with the other speakers, however someone knew I was a huge Razorback fan and sat me at the table with Frank Broyles and Nolan Richardson. Frank fell asleep at the table but Coach Richardson and I talked much of the night. He was such a nice and humble man to me and I have never forgotten how he treated me. He asked me who my all time favorite Hog basketball player was and I said I had never seen anyone play harder than Corey Beck. So I would have to say Corey Beck. Nolan smiled and very warmly said "mine too".
Amen to that, Jules.

I think of all the players Coach Richardson had, Corey was the one that most reminded him of himself. I remember Nolan saying something like, "Corey Beck will fight you till your general is dead."

Calvin Swine

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2020, 11:31:44 am »

We were flying to the SEC basketball tournament in Lexington (I have no idea how we didn't crash trying to land in that storm but that's another story) I was sitting next to Ray Biggers.  During the flight the conversation went exactly like this:

Ray holding a deck of cards turns to me and asks, "Do you know how to play tunk?"
Having no idea I replied, "Sorry Ray, I don't know how to play."
Ray says, "I'll teach you.  We'll play for money!"

Ghost Writer in the Sty

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2020, 11:49:37 am »

Anybody witness the classic fist fight between Lloyd Phillips and Clovis Swinney ?

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2020, 11:57:15 am »

When I was in college at the U of A, I also worked as a sportswriter for the Bentonville newspaper. After covering a game one night, I was walking out of the arena and happened to be trailing behind two players, Byron Irvin and William Mills. They must have thought I was just a student. They commenced to have a spirited conversation about where they were going to obtain some cocaine that night. It wasn't that long afterward that a drug scandal blew up and Mills and Kenny Hutchinson were at Charter Vista, with Irvin transferring to Missouri.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs! Beat Texas A&M!
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2020, 12:52:25 pm »

When I was in college at the U of A, I also worked as a sportswriter for the Bentonville newspaper. After covering a game one night, I was walking out of the arena and happened to be trailing behind two players, Byron Irvin and William Mills. They must have thought I was just a student. They commenced to have a spirited conversation about where they were going to obtain some cocaine that night. It wasn't that long afterward that a drug scandal blew up and Mills and Kenny Hutchinson were at Charter Vista, with Irvin transferring to Missouri.

Interesting (and scary) story.

BP, I've always wondered if you and I ever crossed paths in an earlier life. Bentonville-Rogers people would occasionally find themselves in the same place, probably to the regret of both. I hope I never called you an 'a-hole' or anything. I used to kinda know a handful of Rogers guys back then, as well as lusting after a couple of the cheerleaders.

Here's my next-to-last addition to this thread—one about the great Burnett brothers. I always knew Bill Burnett a little bit because he and my brother played on the same Bentonville team. (Of course, I was like 5 at that time.) But when Bill became the director of the FCA, I used to see him at functions. The first time I re-introduced myself, after 10+ years, the look on his face was pretty funny. Talk about out of the blue. When you see him in person, how small he was, it's hard to believe he was such a historic game-changer for the Hogs.

Fast forward a few decades. A former student of mine (from my part-time adjunct gig teaching design/advertising) moved to Denver after he got married. Through her job, he ended up working a commercial real estate company. One day he called me, years after the last time I saw him, and asked if I knew who Bobby Burnett was. Uhhh, yes...possibly on the Mt. Rushmore of Razorback running backs. He said, cool, he's my boss. And what a great guy he was. But sadly a few years after that I got a call saying that Bobby had just passed away. He said no one really knew about his (cancer) situation. Sometimes, it can be a small world when the Razorbacks are concerned.

liljo

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2020, 12:54:06 pm »

Anybody witness the classic fist fight between Lloyd Phillips and Clovis Swinney ?
No sir, but I'm just redneck enough to want to hear more!

Arkansas WR

• Senior
  • Cracking ankles and taking names
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2020, 12:58:00 pm »

Then walking out of a box we literally ran right into FB giving some big shots a personal tour.  He gave me a look that I won't forget.

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2020, 01:02:49 pm »

In a pickup game in the HYPER one day, Todd Day broke away and thought he was gonna get him a dunk....

Jimmy ran him down and pulled his shorts down.

Ain't nobody dunking on Jimmy.

PRJ

nate1283

• Varsity
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2020, 01:31:05 pm »

Mallet's dad was one of my coaches in high school when he was probably in the 6th or 7th grade.  He'd be there during practices and could throw better than the QB's we had on varsity at the time.

Amityvillehogger

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2020, 08:12:07 pm »

No but would love to hear about it

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2020, 08:15:52 pm »

In a pickup game in the HYPER one day, Todd Day broke away and thought he was gonna get him a dunk....

Jimmy ran him down and pulled his shorts down.

Ain't nobody dunking on Jimmy.

PRJ

“Check Jimmy out"

“OH yeah.......Jimmy played pretty good."

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • White Rock Mountain Pavilion.
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2020, 08:48:01 pm »

yea and there was a rule at the time about freshman not supposed to be married or something.

Not sure why. I remember reading that's one reason we were able to steal Lance Alworth out of Mississippi since Vaught had a rule like that.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2020, 08:50:35 pm »

Not sure why. I remember reading that's one reason we were able to steal Lance Alworth out of Mississippi since Vaught had a rule like that.

Yep
https://mississippiencyclopedia.org/entries/lance-alworth/

bolo

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2020, 01:18:24 pm »

Mallet's dad was one of my coaches in high school when he was probably in the 6th or 7th grade.  He'd be there during practices and could throw better than the QB's we had on varsity at the time.
at Lincoln?

orvillesghost

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2020, 02:01:30 pm »

When i was a freshman, The Amazing Kreskin *remember him?* did a show in the Student Union Ballroom. Who should come in and sit right down next to me but Frank Broyles and his wife. I was too shy and tongue tied to speak to him but he enjoyed the show and once or twice after Kreskin did something turned to me and in that great Georgia drawl said, "Wasn't that something?"

I could only nod my head...LOL

thebignasty

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2020, 02:15:26 pm »

Frank door dinged my dad at the Catfish Hole one time.

nate1283

• Varsity
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2020, 10:10:08 am »

liljo

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2020, 10:24:58 am »

Little ole Hooks, TX
The Hometown of (I stand and salute) Billy Sims. Good Lord knows, that was a great running back...

nate1283

• Varsity
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2020, 01:43:37 pm »

The Hometown of (I stand and salute) Billy Sims. Good Lord knows, that was a great running back...

I played high school ball with his boys and went to school with the girls.  The whole family was really good athletically.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2020, 02:15:46 pm »

Last year, Nick Starkel's dad sat two rows in front of us at the San Jose State game. At some point, he went to the concession stand and came back with FIVE beers. I presume, one for each INT. Now, one of those INTs was late in the game, and I don't know how late into games they sell beer. It is possible that Dad jinxed his son by buying an extra beer.

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2020, 02:19:24 pm »

The old George Cole Field was not quite the palace that Baum is for baseball. It was not uncommon to be able to carry a cooler into games. Somehow.

One year I went to see UA play Kansas State - daytime doubleheader. My old HS coach was the first-year KState coach. The first game the Hogs splattered his pitching staff and he got himself kicked out. I followed him to the team bus, re-introduced myself, and we talked for a while.

Game two, same thing. Big UA lead and the coach gets booted. He leaves, then comes up into the bleachers, sits next to me, grabs a beer out of my buddy's cooler, and offers me a scholarship. "[Oklahawg] you are a better ballplayer right now than these slapdicks."

I declined the scholarship. KState made the NCAA tournament later in his tenure before he left for better fortune.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2020, 03:53:29 pm »

BP, I've always wondered if you and I ever crossed paths in an earlier life. Bentonville-Rogers people would occasionally find themselves in the same place, probably to the regret of both. I hope I never called you an 'a-hole' or anything. I used to kinda know a handful of Rogers guys back then, as well as lusting after a couple of the cheerleaders.

Who knows? I am a 1981 graduate of Rogers High. Worked for the Bentonville and Rogers papers from 1983-91. I was born in Bentonville and went to Rogers schools. My wife was born in Rogers and went to Bentonville schools.

Smithian

« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2020, 04:11:05 pm »

Heard a good story once about Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams and a parking boot in the Union Parking Garage, not sure if that is past the statute of limitations.

I laughed with a bar owner one time about a bunch of underage athlete being there, and he told me he felt bad he had just had to throw out a freshman basketball player because he was the tallest guy there and looked too young. Easy to guess who.

Had a pitcher one time cheat off me in lab, which I didn't mind since in another class that semester a 4.0 basketball player set me up with his tutor that he didn't need.

I once was a couple beers in and kept getting bumped in a crowded bar. I turned around to yell at the person and it was Jerry Franklin. Lucky for me, he just laughed as I took opportunity to apologized for rudely not giving him more space.

Most of the stories on here are pretty good and heard a few of them. Most athletes are pretty good and normal individuals off the court, and most of the "crazier" stories are of players whose on field achievements kept them around or are of guys who were gone in a hurry.

Pigsdofly

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2020, 05:28:03 pm »

Saw Matt Jones not pay for his meal at Slim Chickens. Can you imagine that?

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2020, 05:40:38 pm »

The old George Cole Field was not quite the palace that Baum is for baseball. It was not uncommon to be able to carry a cooler into games. Somehow.

One year I went to see UA play Kansas State - daytime doubleheader. My old HS coach was the first-year KState coach. The first game the Hogs splattered his pitching staff and he got himself kicked out. I followed him to the team bus, re-introduced myself, and we talked for a while.

Game two, same thing. Big UA lead and the coach gets booted. He leaves, then comes up into the bleachers, sits next to me, grabs a beer out of my buddy's cooler, and offers me a scholarship. "[Oklahawg] you are a better ballplayer right now than these slapdicks."

I declined the scholarship. KState made the NCAA tournament later in his tenure before he left for better fortune.

Did you have any eligibility left?

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2020, 06:48:11 pm »

Did you have any eligibility left?

I did. I was a far better athlete at that time then in HS (I grew very late - people who haven't seen me since my Junior year in HS can't believe I'm 6-3+ and well beyond 200 lbs. WELL beyond. It took coach a bit to recognize me, in fact.)

thebignasty

« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:02 pm »

I did. I was a far better athlete at that time then in HS (I grew very late - people who haven't seen me since my Junior year in HS can't believe I'm 6-3+ and well beyond 200 lbs. WELL beyond. It took coach a bit to recognize me, in fact.)
I was a pretty late bloomer and my folks started me a year early, all of which was fine except that it would have been nice to be a lot bigger than most for my senior year in high school, instead of just around average sized.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:14 pm »

You should have taken that deal!

Boog41

« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2020, 07:51:10 pm »

What year was that?

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2020, 08:33:09 pm »

I was a pretty late bloomer and my folks started me a year early, all of which was fine except that it would have been nice to be a lot bigger than most for my senior year in high school, instead of just around average sized.

I was 5-6 x 120, dripping wet, at the end of my junior year. No bueno for a LH 1B/middle reliever. :)
Started my senior year 6-0 x 140. Entered college at 6-2 x 160. Continued growing into my sophomore year.

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2020, 08:36:16 pm »

What year was that?

1985. I was a JR. A bit late to be making a move.

I was off a bit - they made the Big 8 tournament for the first time in ten years his second year. COY honors. At that time, Colorado didn't play baseball, so the conference took the top four to the conference tournament.

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2020, 08:47:46 pm »

1988 NCAAT, UA played Villanova in Cincinnati.  Traveling party arrived at the Carew Tower (I believe that is the tall building housing our hotel) and we waited around for keys to be secured. Meanwhile, here comes Villanova team down the hallway. They were huge, with quite a few 6-9+ players, and they were not necessarily skinny guys. And, they traveled with a priest, which is not uncommon for a catholic school, I presume.

II had barely made the plane due to a seminar running late, and was hungry, tired, and I'm sure "thirsty."

So, seeing the priest, I comment dryly, "Look! They have a rabbi!"

I was shushed by Jean Nail, bless her heart, who did a fine job of being a role model, spirit sponsor, and all-around great person. She said softly, "shh, that's the team priest."

I asked, in a stage whisper, "do they need an exorcism performed, or something?"

Several of the players began laughing and repeating what had been said. Jean walked over, stomped a heeled shoe, and all discord ceased.

Not sure who it was but she grabbed a jacket and pulled the player over. Apparently, the threat of running as punishment was very real. I don't know the player, but he later said to me, "that was some funny stuff, but I ain't gonna laugh and have Coach crawl up my ass." I think I would remember Huery, or other starters.

Boog41

« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2020, 10:10:10 pm »

1985. I was a JR. A bit late to be making a move.

I was off a bit - they made the Big 8 tournament for the first time in ten years his second year. COY honors. At that time, Colorado didn't play baseball, so the conference took the top four to the conference tournament.

Ah, I remember beating K state in 82 or 83.... didn’t remember it being a double header though.

Boog41

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2020, 10:11:23 pm »

1988 NCAAT, UA played Villanova in Cincinnati.  Traveling party arrived at the Carew Tower (I believe that is the tall building housing our hotel) and we waited around for keys to be secured. Meanwhile, here comes Villanova team down the hallway. They were huge, with quite a few 6-9+ players, and they were not necessarily skinny guys. And, they traveled with a priest, which is not uncommon for a catholic school, I presume.

II had barely made the plane due to a seminar running late, and was hungry, tired, and I'm sure "thirsty."

So, seeing the priest, I comment dryly, "Look! They have a rabbi!"

I was shushed by Jean Nail, bless her heart, who did a fine job of being a role model, spirit sponsor, and all-around great person. She said softly, "shh, that's the team priest."

I asked, in a stage whisper, "do they need an exorcism performed, or something?"

Several of the players began laughing and repeating what had been said. Jean walked over, stomped a heeled shoe, and all discord ceased.

Not sure who it was but she grabbed a jacket and pulled the player over. Apparently, the threat of running as punishment was very real. I don't know the player, but he later said to me, "that was some funny stuff, but I ain't gonna laugh and have Coach crawl up my ass." I think I would remember Huery, or other starters.

You should share your drum stick story. Nebraska???

FATHAWG08

• Hogvillian
  • I hate every bone in her body but mine!
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2020, 10:12:41 pm »

I met Clovis thru Bruce Maxwell at a bar Clovis owned named Shaky Jake. Bruce told me that's the only man on earth he was scared of.

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2020, 01:07:06 am »

You should share your drum stick story. Nebraska???

Let me think about that one!!

OnYourToes

• Train up a child in the way they should go . . .
    • Twitter
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2020, 09:02:55 am »

Great thread!
Love the stories and accounts.

Keep them coming

And a hint to the "I can't tell that one" crowd. I'm sure those are the best stories to tell, so do you best to leave names out and speak in code or allude to something without actually saying it.

Thank you all for sharing as we find the best way to pass the time.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2020, 10:07:44 am »

A little off topic but since we play them this weekend...  was at a coaching clinic in nashville when Leach was at tech... we ended up going out one night and stumbling into a whole in the wall bar. Where Leach and his guys were at... Riley, Mumme, Kingsbury... they invite us over abd paid our tab that night. Pretty cool dudes... Leach was definitely like he is portrayed by a lot of people and media... had a beautiful woman all over him that night. His drink was bourbon and coke and he was hammered... lol.. he was recruiting the Warren boys at the time... told me J wrights gonna choose Arkansas but he’d put up better numbers for me... lol

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs! Beat Texas A&M!
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2020, 12:42:29 pm »

Who knows? I am a 1981 graduate of Rogers High. Worked for the Bentonville and Rogers papers from 1983-91. I was born in Bentonville and went to Rogers schools. My wife was born in Rogers and went to Bentonville schools.

OK, 1981 grad of Bentonville. Who's your wife? If this info needs to stay out of the public domain, you can PM. Or give me a hint. Assume I'd know her, if within a couple years give or take. That kinda makes me happy to know you're not married to one of the Mountie cheerleaders I had the hots for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas