• 10,287,002 Posts
• 418,364 Topics
• 24,955 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A text to my friend the Georgia fan  (Read 4224 times)

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: A text to my friend the Georgia fan
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2020, 12:22:44 pm »

We will have disappointed fans questioning the Pittman hire by half time.
Only complete idiots would do that. Regardless.

Give 'em hell, Hogs.

thebignasty

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2020, 12:24:29 pm »

Give 'em hell, Hogs.

If the shoe fits.... 

I'd love to be stunned, but I think its healthy to recognize that it's a stunner if Georgia is up by fewer than 3 TDs at half.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

UnknownNobody

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2020, 12:27:12 pm »

Give 'em hell, Hogs.

We have a bunch of idiots here on Hogville but the Negative Nancies who want to denigrate anyone who has a positive attitude about this game are the worst.

Geeze...why be a fan if you donít actually support your team? And ďwe suck! Iím just a realist, man.Ē Isnít supporting your team.

Wildhog

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2020, 12:27:36 pm »

We will have disappointed fans questioning the Pittman hire by half time.

Without a doubt.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 12:28:37 pm »

Absolutely.

Which is the perfect response to the posters who criticize others who advise tempering expectations. Folks are convincing themselves we have a chance to beat Georgia, then if we lose by 35, they'll already begin to sour on Pittman because he didn't meet their wild-ass and unfounded expectations.

It's clockwork in this joint.
Not Really. Conceding defeat before kickoff is just a weenie attitude to have. Most folks realize weíre 20+ point underdogs 

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2020, 12:30:24 pm »

We have a bunch of idiots here on Hogville but the Negative Nancies who want to denigrate anyone who has a positive attitude about this game are the worst.

Geeze...why be a fan if you donít actually support your team? And ďwe suck! Iím just a realist, man.Ē Isnít supporting your team.

I agree.

People can do as they want but I try to choose to have fun with sports and supporting my team.
It makes for a much better week and hours leading up to the game.

What if the unthinkable actually happens ?

RyanMallettsEgo

• You'll get your chance, smart guy
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2020, 12:30:51 pm »

One can absolutely recognize the deficiencies and weaknesses and keep his expectations tempered and still be a fan of a team, organization, player, whatever.

Blind and unfounded optimism turns into souring on said team, organization, whatever much quicker than does tempered expectations.

thebignasty

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2020, 12:33:54 pm »

I'm excited to see what we look like.  I'm hopeful we will be improved and show signs of life.  I'm not denigrating anyone with a positive attitude, just the folks who will inevitably turn on the staff and the team the moment their expectations aren't met.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2020, 12:37:08 pm »

One can absolutely recognize the deficiencies and weaknesses and keep his expectations tempered and still be a fan of a team, organization, player, whatever.

Blind and unfounded optimism turns into souring on said team, organization, whatever much quicker than does tempered expectations.

Speak for yourself. Iíll go into the game optimistic however knowing we are 20+ pt underdogs, I wonít flip out and sour on the team if we lose.

Did you expect AState to beat KState? How bout Louisisna over ISU? Upsets happen and they tend to happen at this time of the year.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2020, 12:38:24 pm »

yep. Iím excited weíre even having the game, given the circumstances presented by covid19. The same people saying donít get excited are probably the same ones guaranteeing we wouldnít have a season.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2020, 12:41:53 pm »

Speak for yourself. Iíll go into the game optimistic however knowing we are 20+ pt underdogs, I wonít flip out and sour on the team if we lose.

Did you expect AState to beat KState? How bout Louisisna over ISU? Upsets happen and they tend to happen at this time of the year.

Those are not on the same level as Arkansas upsetting Georgia would be.

Iowa State was -11.5. Kansas State was -10.5.

Upsets? Yes. Absolutely.

Right now, Georgia is -26.

Much bigger upset.

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2020, 12:42:33 pm »

Be sure you not drinkiní that dark Kool-Aid. That stuff can be nasty later on.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2020, 12:42:43 pm »

We've lived through coach smile and the chadillac and you think weíre gonna sour on our new staff and team vs. Georgia? Címon man. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2020, 12:43:32 pm »

I don't think that it's the problem of supporting and believing in your team, despite the circumstances that is the problem. It's moreso the weeping and gnashing of teeth that oftentimes follows from those who "support the team" when results don't live up to unrealistic expectations.

thebignasty

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2020, 12:43:52 pm »

We've lived through coach smile and the chadillac and you think weíre gonna sour on our new staff and team vs. Georgia? Címon man.
Definitely.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2020, 12:43:56 pm »

We're 4-20 over the last two years and have guys predicting we're going to beat Georgia so...

Yeah. Lol.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2020, 12:46:19 pm »

I don't think that it's the problem of supporting and believing in your team, despite the circumstances that is the problem. It's moreso the weeping and gnashing of teeth that oftentimes follows from those who "support the team" when results don't live up to unrealistic expectations.

Those idiots are gonna whine if we donít win a NC every year however lumping anyone who goes into this game with a positive attitude with those jagoffs is ridiculous.

HogPharmer

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2020, 12:51:06 pm »

Those idiots are gonna whine if we donít win a NC every year however lumping anyone who goes into this game with a positive attitude with those jagoffs is ridiculous.

I'm not lumping everyone in together.

Look, I'd love it just as much as OP if we won the game.... I am just reserving my emotions until I see what we have and what this staff can do. I've been burned too many times by this program to allow myself to get my hopes up. That's just how I feel. I'm not forcing anyone else to believe the same way I do. However, I don't have a problem with pointing out the blatant fallacies presented by those who want to use arguments of "new OC, new OL Coach, and new starting QB" as if that's somehow advantageous towards us.

rhames

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2020, 12:54:30 pm »

Are you new here?

rhames

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2020, 12:55:15 pm »

There are positive attitudes and then there are unrealistic attitudes.

Hawgphat

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2020, 01:06:31 pm »

I'm reminded of the guy who had patronized the same diner for lunch over an extensive period of time, who became irate and boisterous when he was told by the waitress that they were out of the "Monday Meatloaf Lunch Special" at 12:45 PM on that particular Monday.  Grousing in the throes of a loud-voiced huff that the diner served "sorry-a**ed food fit only for a garbage can anyway", the rude, lewd and crude dude nevertheless returned to the diner the following Monday for his highly favored "Monday Meatloaf Lunch Special".

Some people are highly prone to show their butts in attention-demanding fashion when events and circumstances don't happen to transpire to their satisfaction.  That reactionary characteristic doesn't endear them to anyone with whom they interact; - - but that doesn't matter to them.  They feel a compelling need to trumpet their discontent, - - whether or not others appreciate it or care to hear it.

thefisher

• Hogvillian
  • Time To Inflict Some Pain
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:25 pm »

IF the Hogs 

1. DO NOT commit any turnovers
2. DO get at least one turnover
3. DO NOT commit any dumb drive killing penalties
4. DO NOT commit any dumb drive extending penalties for Georgia
5. DO NOT have any critical injuries
6. DO show solid improvement in special teams

THIS will be a major improvement regardless of the score.  If the above mentioned things are true then the score will also be closer than almost anyone thinks.

If the Hogs can manage the manageables in this game it will show massive improvement from a year ago.

rhames

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:50 pm »

I'm reminded of the guy who had patronized the same diner for lunch over an extensive period of time, who became irate and boisterous when he was told by the waitress that they were out of the "Monday Meatloaf Lunch Special" at 12:45 PM on that particular Monday.  Grousing in the throes of a loud-voiced huff that the diner served "sorry-a**ed food fit only for a garbage can anyway", the rude, lewd and crude dude nevertheless returned to the diner the following Monday for his highly favored "Monday Meatloaf Lunch Special".

Some people are highly prone to show their butts in attention-demanding fashion when events and circumstances don't happen to transpire to their satisfaction.  That reactionary characteristic doesn't endear them to anyone with whom they interact; - - but that doesn't matter to them.  They feel a compelling need to trumpet their discontent, - - whether or not others appreciate it or care to hear it.

This may be the most ironic post, in not only hogville history, but the history of the internet.

thebignasty

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2020, 01:09:55 pm »

This may be the most ironic post, in not only hogville history, but the history of the internet.
An absolute work of art.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2020, 01:15:25 pm »

Hahahahahahahah

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2020, 01:16:52 pm »

ill take a double titos with cherry kool aid!!!

WooooPig88

• Band Nerd
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2020, 01:17:36 pm »

Look at me, I started my first Hogville fight! I can't wait to go home and brag to my wife! Do I get an extra star for this?

Also, I never predicted that we would beat Georgia, just that there are some factors to be considered.

lasthog

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2020, 01:17:58 pm »

5 days to kickoff... kool-aid consumption is at its peak

Order from Amazon in the next 6 hours, receive new supply by Thursday.

Hawgphat

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2020, 01:23:13 pm »

I interpret your response as an accusatory epitaph stemming from residual angst which is carried over from another forum.  That's kosher with me; I harbor no hard feelings.

My above statement was predicated specifically upon the apparent "Gloomy Gus" and "Negative Nancy" predilections pertinent to the Hogs.  That elemental mindset is represented by a number of HV posters among us here.  That, of course, is their prerogative.

Your characterization of my alleged "ironic" disposition is your prerogative.  I take no umbrage.    8)

rhames

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2020, 01:24:48 pm »

I interpret your response as an accusatory epitaph stemming from residual angst which is carried over from another forum.  That's kosher with me; I harbor no hard feelings.

My above statement was predicated specifically upon the apparent "Gloomy Gus" and "Negative Nancy" predilections pertinent to the Hogs.  That elemental mindset is represented by a number of HV posters among us here.  That, of course, is their prerogative.

Your characterization of my alleged "ironic" disposition is your prerogative.  I take no umbrage.    8)

Good advice, that I just can't take.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2020, 01:29:51 pm »

Tell your buddy 16 is ready to eat...

Hawgphat

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2020, 01:30:52 pm »

Good advice, that I just can't take.

So be it.  I will continue to read and evaluate your posts non prejudicially.  I'll drop this personal exchange right here.

HogPharmer

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2020, 01:31:35 pm »

ill take a double titos with cherry kool aid!!!

Easy there bert....

rhames

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2020, 01:32:38 pm »

So be it.  I will continue to read and evaluate your posts non prejudicially.  I'll drop this personal exchange right here.

Who would have thought?

It figures.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2020, 01:36:23 pm »

Easy there bert....
naw Iím no fat slob lol

IceColdMintJulep

• Varsity
  • It will feel better when it stops hurting
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2020, 01:37:38 pm »

Hard to say how people will respond, but one thing's for sure...everyone will be riding a high when the TV cuts to Fayetteville and we finally get kickoff. Soak in that moment while it lasts.

#hammerdown

• Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2020, 01:37:39 pm »

Oh I'm far from a pessimist.  I have been a hog fan for over 50 years.  I just know if expectations are unrealistic the fallout is huge.  If we expect an improved team who fights and plays smart and we get that in a loss, we still have strong support for the coaching staff and  team going forward.  If that is our expectation and we win, the celebration will be ecstatic or borderline erotic.   But if people really expect us to win this game and we come out looking similar to the team of the past two seasons, it will get ugly in here.

Last year there were people in jump ball who thought CEM was going to take a team full of runts and go to the sweet 16.  Some of those same fans were denouncing his ability as a coach by the end of the season. 

A guy who thinks he will marry Scarlett Johansson and ends up with his wife is likely to be disappointed a great deal.  However, if he realizes he has been married to Whoopie Goldberg for the past 2 years and is just looking for improvement, he has a good chance of being happy.

Hogwild

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2020, 01:41:55 pm »

IF the Hogs 

1. DO NOT commit any turnovers
2. DO get at least one turnover
3. DO NOT commit any dumb drive killing penalties
4. DO NOT commit any dumb drive extending penalties for Georgia
5. DO NOT have any critical injuries
6. DO show solid improvement in special teams

THIS will be a major improvement regardless of the score.  If the above mentioned things are true then the score will also be closer than almost anyone thinks.

If the Hogs can manage the manageables in this game it will show massive improvement from a year ago.

You are asking for a lot more than me.  I just hope there is no gifs from this game.  That alone would be an improvement.  Chad Morris' teams were the gold standard of gifs.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2020, 01:41:57 pm »

A guy who thinks he will marry Scarlett Johansson and ends up with his wife is likely to be disappointed a great deal.  However, if he realizes he has been married to Whoopie Goldberg for the past 2 years and is just looking for improvement, he has a good chance of being happy.

Ted Danson thinks you are a big meanie.

Hawgphat

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2020, 04:01:06 pm »

Ted Danson thinks you are a big meanie.

Whoever coined the old-time term "making whoopie" most emphatically had no foreknowledge of Ms. Goldberg.  ::)

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2020, 04:16:05 pm »

5 days to kickoff... kool-aid consumption is at its peak

The last couple years it was the gut-wretching trash can punch.  Drink it until you get sick and puke.  And it will leave a stain on the carpet.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2020, 04:33:34 pm »

The last couple years it was the gut-wretching trash can punch.  Drink it until you get sick and puke.  And it will leave a stain on the carpet.

And, a week later, you discover someone peed in the punch.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2020, 04:44:06 pm »

And, a week later, you discover someone peed in the punch.

Once the powers that be recognized the monstrosity we were trapped with, like a coyote we finally chewed off our leg.

Rayzback

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2020, 05:28:58 pm »

Went to one of those pick your own strawberry farms and decided to throw a daiquiri party. Not a pretty sight the next day. Never again.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Whole Hog half ham, Arkansas by damn.....!
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2020, 05:46:52 pm »

Is this where I insert the "what time is that there ol' game is?".......

Btw, the answer is 4:00 Saturday.

HogPharmer

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2020, 05:48:12 pm »

We don't all live in Florida LZ.

Wildhog

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2020, 05:50:13 pm »

Zep, you're misleading the fine folks in God's country.

rhames

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2020, 05:56:17 pm »

You forgot to say it is on Disney +

HogPharmer

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2020, 05:59:24 pm »

Disney+ Premium. Not included with regular Disney+ subscriptions. I plan on upgrading Saturday morning so I can watch the new release of Mulan, then the game, then cancel before my free trial is over.

Not sure which will be the bigger blood bath, the Huns getting crushed by the avalanche, or our offense getting mauled by their D.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Whole Hog half ham, Arkansas by damn.....!
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2020, 05:59:37 pm »

We don't all live in Florida LZ.
Zep, you're misleading the fine folks in God's country.

Dammit.  I knew it.  The game has already been played and I have to wait for the sun to circle our flat planet to watch the results.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas