• 10,327,764 Posts
• 419,670 Topics
• 25,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PAC-12 Players Threaten Boycott, Publish Demands  (Read 7272 times)

dfwhawg

Re: PAC-12 Players Threaten Boycott, Publish Demands
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2020, 02:55:35 pm »

I hope that the end result is that players who want to earn a college degree while playing football and representing the university of their choice in the process can. Those who have no interest in that can go pro. Let the NFL implement a minor league system the way MLB has.
I have already boycotted a number of sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, etc) that support the "kneeling BS" during the national anthem.  If NCAA FB supports this nonsense, then one less sport to watch.  There are more important matters like love thy country and respect our flag than college sports.

Wildhog

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2020, 02:57:07 pm »

As long as colleges are their minor leagues, they have zero incentive to take on the burden of sifting through all those players. If the P5 strictly went to a student athlete mode, and it looked more like DII or the Ivy league then the NFL would have incentive to go digging around small towns all over Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Ohio and on and on and on. All the NFL has to do is show up at Clemson/S Carolina, Alabama/Auburn, Georgia/Florida, Ohio St/Michigan. Watch a lot of tape on small schools. The P5's desire to be the league closest to the NFL has made the NFL's decision easy and cheap.

Itís not like theyíll have to sift much. Not a lot of Clowneys coming out of high school.

Iím just not ok telling adults they canít market their services to the pros.  Thatís the real crime here.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2020, 03:00:35 pm »

Itís not like theyíll have to sift much. Not a lot of Clowneys coming out of high school.

Iím just not ok telling adults they canít market their services to the pros.  Thatís the real crime here.

It has been ruled on by the high courts. It is not a crime.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2020, 03:01:14 pm »

I have already boycotted a number of sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, etc) that support the "kneeling BS" during the national anthem.  If NCAA FB supports this nonsense, then one less sport to watch.  There are more important matters like love thy country and respect our flag than college sports.

May I suggest Curling.

Wildhog

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2020, 03:04:00 pm »

I didnít mean a literal crime, lol.  Just meant the real issue/problem, whatever.

I do find it strange that so many are comfortable telling adults they canít market their services professionally, though.  Let the free market handle it.

ricepig

« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2020, 03:06:00 pm »

So baseball and basketball can, but the higher courts said football couldnít? I doubt itís hit the SCOTUS.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2020, 03:09:40 pm »

He played 3 years of college ball and has been a little better than an average pass rusher. If he would have spent those 3 college years in the NFL he would have been a bust. Like I say, the NFL is in the best position available to expect them to change it is not living in reality.

It would be like being married to a Super model that loved you with all of her heart. She was worth $400 million and totally embraced your life of playing golf, traveling, going to sporting events, partying.... while she gave you a fresh roll of hundred dollar bills every morning, and you divorce her. Ain't happening!!

1HourToHogville

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2020, 03:11:42 pm »

Iím actually surprised that the NFL can legally impose such a restriction.  To me, thatís likely the real issue.  But maybe any company can implement a requirement that one has to be at least 21 to be eligible for employment.
Some jobs have minimum ages.  President of the United States (35), Congressman (25), US Senator (30) police officers in many states must be 21, FBI agent is 23. 

Wildhog

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2020, 03:17:05 pm »

He played 3 years of college ball and has been a little better than an average pass rusher. If he would have spent those 3 college years in the NFL he would have been a bust. Like I say, the NFL is in the best position available to expect them to change it is not living in reality.

It would be like being married to a Super model that loved you with all of her heart. She was worth $400 million and totally embraced your life of playing golf, traveling, going to sporting events, partying.... while she gave you a fresh roll of hundred dollar bills every morning, and you divorce her. Ain't happening!!

Why are you so against the free market? If they donít get drafted, then they donít get drafted.  Literally no harm done.  If they do, and some will, then youíre allowing adults to capitalize on their abilities.  Nobody loses.

But yeah, the NFL is perfectly comfortable with CFB being their farm league.  And I think itís wrong.  You clearly have no problem with it, and thatís fine.  I just disagree.

Hogwild

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2020, 03:19:28 pm »

So baseball and basketball can, but the higher courts said football couldnít? I doubt itís hit the SCOTUS.

Judge Sonia Sotomayor wasn't on the SCOTUS yet, but she did make the ruling.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2020, 03:19:54 pm »

I don't know that the courts have ever ruled on baseball and basketball. I mean NBA still has one and done, baseball says come out at high school or wait 3 years.

The US 2nd Court of Appeals overturned a ruling  on Maurice Claret being eligible for the draft. When he filed for an emergency appeal to the SCOTUS he was denied twice once by RBG and once by JP Stephens. Don't know if it has been challenged since.

Hogwild

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »

The reason that it is legal is because the NFL, MLB, and NBA are all closed shops.   The 3 year rule, one n done, & MLB draft rules were all collectively bargained with the respective player's unions.   The rules are included in the CBAs.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2020, 03:33:19 pm »

Why are you so against the free market? If they donít get drafted, then they donít get drafted.  Literally no harm done.  If they do, and some will, then youíre allowing adults to capitalize on their abilities.  Nobody loses.

But yeah, the NFL is perfectly comfortable with CFB being their farm league.  And I think itís wrong.  You clearly have no problem with it, and thatís fine.  I just disagree.

Having attended 200 plus NFL games over the last 25 years, all while attending college football games I see the glaring difference and realize it is a rule that has merit.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2020, 03:36:16 pm »

ďWeíre not your entertainment, weíre human beings.Ē

Both are true. What athletes need to realize, especially football and basketball players, is that they are absolutely used for our entertainment. The reason they have full scholarships is because they are being compensated for our entertainment.

Should be the compensated more? I would say in the case of major college athletics, there is an argument to be made. But don't make it out to be something that it isn't. Just like actors and musicians, it is precisely the entertainment value they bring that provides them with the benefits they recieve from their respective schools.

Now, to be fair, they certainly have some pull, and if they have it in their hearts to use that influence, they should do so. The Mississippi flag sure seems to have gotten a quick change, but it didn't appear anyone was interested until MSU and Ole Miss players said they weren't going to play. They start throwing out ultimatums and politicians change their minds real quick-like.

I don't have a problem with anyone using their position to influence change if it's something they believe in, but I do think it's important for people to understand where their influence comes from so they don't overplay their hand.

Wildhog

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »

Having attended 200 plus NFL games over the last 25 years, all while attending college football games I see the glaring difference and realize it is a rule that has merit.

Having attended quite a few myself, Iíve seen underclassmen in CFB that were NFL ready.  No reason to punish them.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2020, 03:44:06 pm »

Underclassmen yes. Iíve never seen a high school kid I thought was NFL ready. In all actuality even with 3 years of college ball under their belt , l most  rookies struggle..

Wildhog

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2020, 03:46:09 pm »

Underclassmen yes. Iíve never seen a high school kid I thought was NFL ready. In all actuality even with 3 years of college ball under their belt , l most  rookies struggle..

The point is that the 3-year rule is punishing people that are ready to play professionally.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2020, 03:50:14 pm »

I think the CFL will let them play.

Wildhog

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2020, 03:52:52 pm »

I think the CFL will let them play.

Which is a point that Iíve made.  I just think the NFL should change the rule.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2020, 03:54:08 pm »

When the P5 goes to the Ivy League model you will probably get your wish.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Class of Ď85
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2020, 03:56:55 pm »

When the P5 goes to the Ivy League model you will probably get your wish.

Although part of me wishes that would happen, I think weíre a long way from that happening. The PAC-12 will agree to enough of the playersí demands to make this go away.

TeufelHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled, whiney, football players who are already "earning" hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of scholarships, tutoring, health care, physical training, nutritional assistance, cost of living stipends, prime time national media exposure for the NFL, etc.  . . . "and it all started with NIL legislation" (Name, Image, and Likeness) will be often quoted in a couple of years as college (amateur) athletics continues its' downhill slide.  Why is anyone surprised by the "demands" from leftist college young adults from the "Left Coast?"  Just look what is going on currently in California, Oregon, and Washington State WRT the riots . . . "cough, cough" . . . I mean "peaceful protests."

Has anyone ever looked into what the state of California/all states stand to gain (taxation wise) from their "signature legislation" that is spreading across the country and the NCAA sports landscape.  It's not just about the money, it's ALL ABOUT the money. 

You do not want to play?  Don't play.  Miss your shot.  Just get out of the way and let those who appreciate the opportunity earn their scholarship and increase their odds of a better life.  Demands . . . get out of here with that crap.

PonderinHog

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:54 pm »

Raise the damn stipend and play ball.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of Ď85
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2020, 04:06:49 pm »

Hereís a take by a player for the Washington Huskies, which Trevor Lawrence retweeted:

https://twitter.com/e_mold3n/status/1290020407722962944?s=21

Hawgphat

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2020, 04:21:48 pm »

I admire your adherence to principle, your resolve, and your willingness to forego pleasurable pursuits in order to underscore your convictions.

+ 1000

k.c.hawg

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2020, 04:40:20 pm »

Although part of me wishes that would happen, I think weíre a long way from that happening. The PAC-12 will agree to enough of the playersí demands to make this go away.

It is going to hit every conference. And, then it will be a matter of where does it stop? They see themselves as the money generators for all of the athletic department, which isn't far from the truth. If this was women's basketball, track, baseball (at most schools), softball, golf, tennis, rowing, swimming.....you tell them your sport operates at a huge financial loss, get back to class.

The P5 sports model does not work without big time football. The P5 sports model also does not work taking any significant money out to pay athletes a considerable amount of money.

ricepig

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2020, 04:43:59 pm »

It is going to hit every conference. And, then it will be a matter of where does it stop? They see themselves as the money generators for all of the athletic department, which isn't far from the truth. If this was women's basketball, track, baseball (at most schools), softball, golf, tennis, rowing, swimming.....you tell them your sport operates at a huge financial loss, get back to class.

The P5 sports model does not work without big time football. The P5 sports model also does not work taking any significant money out to pay athletes a considerable amount of money.

Sure it does, you just find the athletes that want to play with your rules.

Cave City Joe

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2020, 04:46:23 pm »

Somebody explain more fully how this Ivy League model would work. No scholarships?  So you would have to pay your own way thru college to play  Thatís a lawsuit waiting to happen  I donít think you could bet the bama sand ohio states to go along, but it would return college sports to the way they started. Also you could kiss espn money goodbye

k.c.hawg

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2020, 04:53:54 pm »

Sure it does, you just find the athletes that want to play with your rules.

That is what they have been doing, finding players that wanted to play with their rules and now Texas has been held hostage to make major changes. Next is the Pac12 and then the other dominoes will fall.

How do you see this happening? Signing a much more defined financial aid agreement that limits their ability to protest the conditions they are working under?

oldhawg

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2020, 04:54:37 pm »

Somebody explain more fully how this Ivy League model would work. No scholarships?  So you would have to pay your own way thru college to play  Thatís a lawsuit waiting to happen  I donít think you could bet the bama sand ohio states to go along, but it would return college sports to the way they started. Also you could kiss espn money goodbye

https://universitybusiness.com/is-the-ivy-league-model-the-future-of-ncaa-division-i-athletics/

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2020, 04:57:10 pm »

Nobody is forcing these guys to ply sports. Start fall practice and if they donít show up then rescind their scholarship. These athletes would see real quick that there are a lot of people out there that will gladly take their spots on the team.

Oh, there are a lot of people who would gladly take those spots. Problem is, those schools will make more money giving 50% to the players than they would make by fielding sun belt quality teams and keeping 100%. Besides, the schools are already (save maybe usc) considered non profit. Once they take out funding for other sports from the revenue, then factor in "benefits " the players receive into their 50% cut, I bet not much would change. 

ricepig

« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2020, 04:59:36 pm »

That is what they have been doing, finding players that wanted to play with their rules and now Texas has been held hostage to make major changes. Next is the Pac12 and then the other dominoes will fall.

How do you see this happening? Signing a much more defined financial aid agreement that limits their ability to protest the conditions they are working under?

I donít equate some social change and health concerns, with demanding 50% of the revenue. I fail to see these two incidents as being the exact same.

Knot2brite

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2020, 05:17:52 pm »

They are shooting their shot and hoping it hits the target. With everything that is going on they have a better chance than they have had in a while. If the NCAA folds to pressure then schools will put in their contracts that they have to stay for fours years and they will lose their total payout if they leave school early or they flunk out or if they are dismissed. This may not be what they ended up wanting. In the end...it may be a total meat market ( worse than it already is) and the players may be forced to accept some things that they have never had to accept in the past

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2020, 05:21:19 pm »

I'm going to rent a truck and get a chain and pull down a Saban statue tonight to help their cause.He is the debil you know.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of Ď85
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2020, 05:28:00 pm »

Developments out of Washington State this afternoon:

Per Pete Thamel:

ďThe situation at Washington State boils down to this: Players whoíve requested to opt out of the season canít take part in any team activities. You canít choose to opt out for health and safety reasons and still lift, practice and be in locker room/weight room.ď

But, see this tweet from a playerís father:

https://twitter.com/theolawson_sr/status/1290044490749587456?s=21

And,

ďJust to reiterate, #WSU's Kassidy Woods was not Ďcutí from the team. That would indicate he lost his scholarship. But he was asked to clean out his locker, according to his dad, and it's Woods' understanding he can't currently participate in team activities.ď

ricepig

« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2020, 05:30:41 pm »

Per Pete Thamel:

ďThe situation at Washington State boils down to this: Players whoíve requested to opt out of the season canít take part in any team activities. You canít choose to opt out for health and safety reasons and still lift, practice and be in locker room/weight room.ď

And,

ďJust to reiterate, #WSU's Kassidy Woods was not Ďcutí from the team. That would indicate he lost his scholarship. But he was asked to clean out his locker, according to his dad, and it's Woods' understanding he can't currently participate in team activities.ď

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/washington-state-football-releasing-players-support-pac-12-movement/

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »

Per Pete Thamel:

And,

This stuff may become as entertaining as an actual season.

1HourToHogville

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2020, 05:38:58 pm »

Boycotts that are carried out, rarely, if ever work.  Leverage in negotiations may be gained temporarily if the other party doesn't mind changing and issues are addressed quickly. 
A player that boycotts will miss playing time. Time, if he is of NFL caliber talent to start with, spent not playing that will damage his draft/signing value.  The rest will find out how easily they can be replaced by players from other levels willing to take their spot.  And fans won't care, they are their to root for their team, not Joe Bob (except Joe Bob's family).   

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2020, 05:55:32 pm »

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/washington-state-football-releasing-players-support-pac-12-movement/

Rolovich probably should have kept his mouth about players supporting a particular cause and their future beyond this year with the team, IF he did indeed mention that in talking to a player(s). Now I think it is ok to say that if your are opting out for personal health safety reasons this season, you need to clean out your locker because you won't be around the program this season, for your own protection.

But what if your name is on that list and you "aren't opting out for this season for personal health and safety reasons?" Those are the kids to watch. If WSU basically says they are gone as well, there will be legal action, even if their scholarships are maintained.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2020, 05:56:34 pm »

So the official response may just end up being "Next!".

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2020, 06:03:20 pm »

So the official response may just end up being "Next!".

I've said it right along, what NWA Hog said today would be the way to handle it. "We aren't negotiating any of your demands and camp opens on 8-7-2020. Let us know if you plan to be a part of the team this year".

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2020, 06:07:07 pm »

I've said it right along, what NWA Hog said today would be the way to handle it. "We aren't negotiating any of your demands and camp opens on 8-7-2020. Let us know if you plan to be a part of the team this year".

I agree. It's a good way to do it. I wasn't sure if they would.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:19:45 pm by Dark Helmet Hog »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2020, 06:13:59 pm »

I agree. It's a good wat to do it. I wasn't sure if they would.

If the kids agree to play, I don't think you can release the University from responsibility for their treatment, but neither should they be responsible if someone dies from it after agreeing to play, taking full responsibility for themselves. Other than that, screw their other demands.

Shoop

« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2020, 06:20:35 pm »

It is the westcoast. We know how many SJWs and snowflakes there are there.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2020, 06:29:56 pm »

Iíve been thinking for a while now that Iíd like to see college athletics place more emphasis on college and less on athletics. These guys who donít make it to the NFL arenít doing themselves any favor by getting a degree in basket weaving.

Raise the academic standards.

For now, Go Navy.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2020, 06:33:39 pm »

Considering most of you are college football fans, not many of you actually seem to like college football players.

31to6

« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2020, 06:39:11 pm »

I'm fine with the players pushing for strong safety standards and being given the option to opt-out of this season. It is unusual times. To my way of thinking, the schools should just extend the scholarships. The idea of arm-twisting a kid into either forfeiting a scholarship or taking a risk with COVID-19 they aren't prepared for is both unethical and really bad optics.

For one thing, there are a lot of players with risk factors on a football team. Not every fb player is a ripped CB or RB. Sure, most are young and healthy, but you also have linemen over 3 bills, AA players with sickle-cell trait and so on. Not to mention players who may have severely at risk family members.

So I get (and support) the push for better safety standards. The NFL doesn't mean much if you lose 20% of your lung capacity or suffer damage to your heart. That's pretty much your career, over.

But the push for revenue sharing at a time like this is just going to go nowhere. The money just isn't there and even if it were, it is a complicated issue that won't get sorted out in the next 3 weeks.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of Ď85
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2020, 06:43:57 pm »

If their demands had been limited to safety issues in light of Covid, and health insurance, and even the name and likeness stuff, great. I can get behind that. The demands related to reducing the salary of other people and taking 50%, thatís where they lost me.

Hogwild

« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »

that article shows why journalism is held in such low regard this days.

1st two sentences of the article:
This is not a good look for Washington State of first-year head football coach Nick Rolovich.  At all.

writes a couple of paragraphs, post pics of 8 tweets and ends the article this way

the last two sentences of the article
And, if the program is indeed not allowing players who opt out of the season to participate in practice or any other team activities ó a very reasonable stance if they are opting out over safety concerns ó they need to state that.  Especially if they are going to remain on scholarship after opting out.

So the criticism that Washington State hasn't responded to tweets from two parents that were sent at 4 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon, that might or might not be accurate. What a hack.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2020, 06:49:58 pm »

Considering most of you are college football fans, not many of you actually seem to like college football players.

How so?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas