• 10,953,438 Posts
• 425,656 Topics
• 24,869 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC moving to conference only for 2020 schedule  (Read 5172 times)

Seminole Indian

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: SEC moving to conference only for 2020 schedule
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2020, 11:32:16 am »

Since that has already been discussed at different times, then yes, I think that is a possibility.
This could result in an entirely new business model when it settles. The P5 leagues break away from the mid-majors and form their own structure.
Whether it happens or not, I guarantee some wheels will be spinning in heads about this, though.

Yes, the mid-majors like A-State...I don't know what they're going to do. Their business model is predicated on playing these 'money' games like Michigan for $1.8mm. That is a huge part of their athletic budget. How to replace that?
About 5% of their athletic budget.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2020, 12:01:38 pm »

The SEC just announced 10 game, CONFERENCE ONLY, schedule, and pushed the start date to Sept 26th.  They just cancelled 30+ OOC games. They did not do all that to then go out and schedule other OOC games.

Sure they would.  They’re not playing out of conference games because they don’t want to pay the contract rates with fans in the stands.  That’s a double whammy.  You don’t have to pay other major conference schools and with TV, you probably make money regardless. 

What do you think ESPN would pay this year for an SEC vs Big 12 conference challenge  on September 12th and the 19th? Two Saturdays in a row of one game after another of major, interesting matchups culminating in a prime time matchup  of the heavyweights on Saturday night.  It would be one of the best money makers of the season.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2020, 12:24:31 pm »

Sure they would.  They’re not playing out of conference games because they don’t want to pay the contract rates with fans in the stands.  That’s a double whammy.  You don’t have to pay other major conference schools and with TV, you probably make money regardless. 

What do you think ESPN would pay this year for an SEC vs Big 12 conference challenge  on September 12th and the 19th? Two Saturdays in a row of one game after another of major, interesting matchups culminating in a prime time matchup  of the heavyweights on Saturday night.  It would be one of the best money makers of the season.

SEC cancelled Clem/SC, FLa/FSu, GA/GT just to name 3 ooc games yesterday that were not $ contract games, these are games that have been played, in some cases every year for almost a century. They did not do that to turn around and run out to schedule other ooc games.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

• Senior
  • Before there was Tusk, there was Big Red.
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2020, 12:32:48 pm »

Will p5 take this as a chance to revamp fbs level football. Possible break away into their own organization for football?

I think that would be a great outcome of this situation.  It would be the first step towards student athletics focusing on the student more than the athletics.  The smaller schools would no longer be able to pay for as many athletic scholarships, which eliminates many athletes who attend college to play a sport with no interest in getting an education.

At the same time the P5 football programs will begin to focus on football and eventually turn in to a for-profit feeder program into the NFL with affiliations to a college in name only.  The football players wouldn't have to waste their time going to class and doing homework and the colleges could do away with all of the pretense of providing an education and all of the academic resources to support a bunch of kids who don't care about an education.

-phil

Seminole Indian

« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2020, 01:16:08 pm »

I believe that the leagues think it’ll be more flexible when they have full control over the scheduling in the event of major outbreaks.  Meaning, if they have to press pause for a few weeks they won’t have to coordinate with the schedules of OOO opponents who would also have to have coordinate with other teams to make a schedule change happen.  If league teams are only playing each other, the league can adjust more quickly if they need to.  Also, there should be less travel and they can set specific safety rules and (in theory) have a better capacity to see that they are being followed than they would with teams outside of the SEC.

Looks like you were correct.

“I talked to three of the four AD of our non-conference opponents and we will work to figure out a solution for each of those whether that’s rescheduling the game in the future,” Yurachek said. “The  decision to go to all-Southeastern Conference schedule was not a financial decision as such to save us from paying those guarantees. It again was a decision we thought gave us the best opportunity to have a football season that was uninterrupted."

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/hunter-yurachek-working-with-athletic-directors-at-arkansas-four-non-conference-opponents/

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2020, 01:51:28 pm »

I will be interested to see who we draw out of the East to go with Tenn and Mizzou.  The UGA folks around here are speculating that we will play them. 

ricepig

« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2020, 02:46:00 pm »

But what % of their football budget? They might wish to re-examine their numbers, because I don’t think their athletic budget  is over $100M, lol.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

• Senior
  • Before there was Tusk, there was Big Red.
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2020, 03:39:03 pm »

... I don’t think their athletic budget  is over $100M, lol.

$1.8M is 5% of $36M, not $100M.

-phil

ricepig

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2020, 04:00:37 pm »

$1.8M is 5% of $36M, not $100M.

-phil

For some reason a used 1.5%, never mind........

Seminole Indian

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2020, 04:28:17 pm »

For some reason a used 1.5%, never mind........

Yep, their total  athletic budget is little more than the Razorbacks pay in coaches salaries.I actually  balanced their budget without football with a little belt tightening here and there.

That will not be the case for the Razorbacks or really any P5, because  most will be following Stanford's example, immediately.

No football means about a 70 million dollar hit so whatever it takes play ball.

ricepig

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2020, 04:33:12 pm »

Yep, their total  athletic budget is little more than the Razorbacks pay in coaches salaries.I actually  balanced their budget without football with a little belt tightening here and there.

That will not be the case for the Razorbacks or really any P5.

Well, we’ll just borrow it from Jerry and Warren if we need a little time.......

Seminole Indian

« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2020, 04:36:07 pm »

They will probably just give it to you. Nice to have rich friends.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »

That will not be the case for the Razorbacks or really any P5, because  most will be following Stanford's example, immediately.

Like so many teams playing this level of sports balncing their budget without $4.5 million in student fees and $9.5 million in school funds is virtually impossible. I was looking at a MAC school not long ago that had like $18 million of it's $29 million athletic budget come out of school funds and fees.

These programs are in trouble with the year we are facing.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2020, 05:43:54 pm »

Like so many teams playing this level of sports balncing their budget without $4.5 million in student fees and $9.5 million in school funds is virtually impossible. I was looking at a MAC school not long ago that had like $18 million of it's $29 million athletic budget come out of school funds and fees.

The example you gave is pretty much the norm for most G5's, and FCS schools.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2020, 05:45:52 pm »

without $4.5 million in student fees

I've wondered if programs who operate off of mandatory student athletic fees give refunds when sports are cancelled or capacity limited.  It's bad enough that those students don't have a choice in the matter but it's compounded when they are paying for nothing.

At some of the other instate schools students are paying around $20 per credit hour athletic fee ($19 at state and $22 at UAPB). $20 x 15 credit hours = $300 per semester in athletic fees per student which is of course $600 per calendar year in mandatory fees.  Doesn't seem right for students to pay that if they aren't allowed to attend games or if there aren't games being conducted in the first place.  Even a partial refund ($200) could help buy a textbook or pay for some groceries.

Luckily for our students they have a choice and can buy a yearly student athletic pass for $100 to attend football and basketball games.  All the other sports on campus are free until postseason play. I'm not even sure if we are selling student access passes due to COVID but it's nice knowing our students have a choice.  Plus the whole $100 (or free without football and basketball) vs. $600 at other instate programs is amazing.  I'm surprised it's never been brought up by Wally Hall or anyone in the sports media.

$9.5 million in school funds is virtually impossible. I was looking at a MAC school not long ago that had like $18 million of it's $29 million athletic budget come out of school funds and fees.

I think when you add the potential for dropping enrollment (already happening throughout Arkansas before COVID) with the strained economy you are creating a potential for real trouble for programs who receive millions in student fees and school funds.  I'm not sure how many universities will be ok with subsidizing athletics at their normal rate when they are hurting for money to run the campus and day to day operations.

Don't get me wrong.  It's a tough situation for everyone but it's even more difficult when you are reliant on subsidies.  This is why it's important to build a strong alumni/donor/season ticket holder fanbase.  If this mess only last a year we will be able to push through.  We can postpone some payments and maneuver some money/assets and eventually we will be back to normal.  Also, the people who bring up Stanford need to realize that they had 36 athletic teams.  They cut 11 of those teams but will still have more teams than the a large portion of D1 programs.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2020, 06:09:57 pm »

Let me clarify I posted some info about A-States budget simply to provide some perspective when a poster did not include a number, or other reference point and because  it involved one of the other state colleges or universities.

My post were not intended to turn this thread into a discussion about how the majority of schools fund their athletic programs.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2020, 07:09:44 pm »

In that case all these pay us to play us games the G5 wants the P5 schools to pay them could and should go away.

Also it should be illegal to have mandatory student athletic fees.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Nothing better than Art Fern's Tea Time Movie
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2020, 07:30:48 pm »

when you haven't won a conference game in +2 years, does it really matter who we play ?  not until we get an operable O-line, we won't be competitive against anyone...when we do get a competitive O-line, along with Malik running the offense like he knows it better than the back of his hand, then other teams better look out for the HOGS

Seminole Indian

« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2020, 07:48:18 pm »

In that case all these pay us to play us games the G5 wants the P5 schools to pay them could and should go away.

Also it should be illegal to have mandatory student athletic fees.
Let me make this clear one more time, I posted a number that was intended to clarify a post about one of the other state colleges and universities,  which I've been assured i can do on any forum if and when I feel it is necessary. Had no agenda just saw an opportunity to contribute.

IMO  you are now taking liberties with what i posted, to promote an agenda i don't have a position on other than pointing out that most schools are in the same boat when it comes to funding their athletic programs and that is a very slippery slope to go down. Taking liberties with my post that is.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2020, 07:49:04 pm »

I wonder how much game insurance we have to cover stuff like this . I know many things like concerts do

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2020, 07:50:01 pm »

when we do get a competitive O-line

Correct.  This is and should always be priority #1.  We haven't been good on the offensive line since Pittman left.  A few of Pittman's recruits (Ragnow) did well after he left for Georgia but for the most part we have struggled on the line.  Hopefully Pittman gets this fixed quick.

Bryant Disciple

• Varsity
  • Ezk 20:29 What's the high place? It's called Bama.
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2020, 07:50:51 pm »

Groupthink is fun! I'm sincerely curious about the rationale for this decision. The COVID-19 mortality rate amongst college athletes must hover around 0.0000000002%. (There aren't too many 80-somethings on the playing field.) Is the mortality rate higher if you touch out-of-conference players?

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2020, 08:08:34 pm »

Groupthink is fun! I'm sincerely curious about the rationale for this decision. The COVID-19 mortality rate amongst college athletes must hover around 0.0000000002%. (There aren't too many 80-somethings on the playing field.) Is the mortality rate higher if you touch out-of-conference players?

A conference only schedule allows for greater schedule control and flexibility.  Flexibility where, if games get canceled, the conference will have the ability to adapt without the fear of being sued for game guarantees like so many G5 programs are planning to do.  A conference only schedule gives the freedom to reformat and reschedule if a localized outbreak occurs.  If two teams in the conference have to quarantine due to their team getting sick then schedules can be moved around to where at least some teams can play.  You also can also schedule more bye weeks to regroup.

Most importantly though is the ability to contact trace.  It's much easier to trace in a 14 team bubble vs. tracking down your non-con opponent and their opponents and so on.  This is also why games are moving away from neutral sites.  Limit exposure by reducing game site variance - even it's just by removing a singular neutral site location.  I could see games being played on campus for the foreseeable future in almost all sports due to the desire/need to avoid hotel stays and dealing with staff who are not a part of your day to day operations.

As I mentioned earlier the biggest issue in cancelling non-con games are the impending lawsuits from G5 programs.  This may spur the change to move to a P5 schedule only moving forward.

Hawgphat

« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2020, 08:11:11 pm »

Perhaps certain amoebic viral nuclei are endemic to certain eclectic regions, and "cross pollinate" with foreign bodies at a more advanced rate of gestation?     :-\ 

Seminole Indian

« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2020, 08:18:43 pm »

A conference only schedule allows for greater schedule control and flexibility.  Flexibility where, if games get canceled, the conference will have the ability to adapt without the fear of being sued for game guarantees like so many G5 programs are planning to do.  A conference only schedule gives the freedom to reformat and reschedule if a localized outbreak occurs.  If two teams in the conference have to quarantine due to their team getting sick then schedules can be moved around to where at least some teams can play.  You also can also schedule more bye weeks to regroup.

Most importantly though is the ability to contact trace.  It's much easier to trace in a 14 team bubble vs. tracking down your non-con opponent and their opponents and so on.  This is also why games are moving away from neutral sites.  Limit exposure by reducing game site variance - even it's just by removing a singular neutral site location.  I could see games being played on campus for the foreseeable future in almost all sports due to the desire/need to avoid hotel stays and dealing with staff who are not a part of your day to day operations.

As I mentioned earlier the biggest issue in cancelling non-con games are the impending lawsuits from G5 programs.  This may spur the change to move to a P5 schedule only moving forward.

"The  decision to go to all-Southeastern Conference schedule was not a financial decision as such to save us from paying those guarantees. It again was a decision we thought gave us the best opportunity to have a football season that was uninterrupted."

“I talked to three of the four AD of our non-conference opponents and we will work to figure out a solution for each of those whether that’s rescheduling the game in the future,”, so  it looks like you AD is thinking he will play G5s going forward, and little FYI he has talked to an instate G5.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/hunter-yurachek-working-with-athletic-directors-at-arkansas-four-non-conference-opponents/

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:45:47 pm by Seminole Indian »

HogCzar1

« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »

I think this is where things are headed. If I remember, Nick Saban is a proponent of this. And, likely what will be necessary in order for the P5 to maximize the money from the major TV networks.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2020, 08:34:53 pm »

I think this is where things are headed. If I remember, Nick Saban is a proponent of this. And, likely what will be necessary in order for the P5 to maximize the money from the major TV networks.

Right on Saban wanting it but he gave this reason " “I think College Five (Power Five) conference teams should play all College Five conference teams. You know, and we should play more conference games,” Saban said in an interview with George Schroeder of USA TODAY Sports. “Then to me, losing two games wouldn’t knock you out of this, because you’d be playing more good teams. You can barely have a bad game in college football and survive it. And if you have it late in the season like we did it seems to have more significance in terms of how people feel about it than if you lose games earlier.”

He also knows it is a hard sell and feels  the reason more coaches don’t support a system like that is simple — they want wins to ensure they have job security. It’s a good point ...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-explains-removal-cupcake-games-good-college-football/

IMO your AD, and a majority of P5 AD's would not be in favor of playing a P5 only schedule.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2020, 08:48:59 pm »

Yep.  If anything this pandemic has done is get rid of the dumb idea that we don't need to maximize profits.  I don't think we will move to a complete P5 schedule but I could see us going to a 9 game conference slate in the future plus a noncon game vs. a P5 team and 2 games vs. a G5 and FCS club.  I could see us (and all of college football) moving away from neutral site games as well.  Home and homes will be the move.

If/when we eventually play jonesboro or conway it needs to be on campus.  This idea of playing in wms and splitting the gate is beyond dumb.  Play what is supposedly the biggest game in the history of Arkansas in a stadium with 20k less seats (lose at least $2 million) while paying travel costs (500k?) then splitting the gate would be a monumental financial loss.

Play the game on campus and work a deal to where we don't pay them if we play in jonesboro for the return game.  If we can play at Colorado State and Tulsa then we can play in jonesboro.  "But money isn't everything...." tell the ADs suing P5 programs and more importantly the students paying athletic fees that money isn't everything.

#hammerdown

• Hogvillian
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2020, 08:58:42 pm »

Well we should have known we would draw the short straw.  Georgia and SC.  Georgia and OM got the easiest deals.

EastexHawg

« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2020, 09:05:32 pm »

If the idea is to maximize profit why in the world would you play an FCS?  I won't watch those games on TV, much less shell out the money to attend in person.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2020, 09:22:12 pm »

If the idea is to maximize profit why in the world would you play an FCS?  I won't watch those games on TV, much less shell out the money to attend in person.
I understand and would love to never schedule a FCS teams again but they are usually cheaper buy games than G5 clubs.  Most decent G5 teams are going to either demand a home and home or a 1.5 million payout whereas you can get a FCS team in for around 500k.  I think almost every SEC team usually schedules a FCS game every season.  The benefit of playing UAPB would be helping an in system program.  We could probably schedule conway for a minimal amount due to huge decrease in travel costs.  They wouldn't even need to book a hotel.  But I agree with you and think it would be better to do away with scheduling FCS teams.

HogCzar1

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2020, 09:56:09 pm »

You are correct. You wouldnt. Would USC vs Tennessee generate more TV interest nationally than USC vs. South Alabama?

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2020, 10:20:44 pm »

Looks like you were correct.

“I talked to three of the four AD of our non-conference opponents and we will work to figure out a solution for each of those whether that’s rescheduling the game in the future,” Yurachek said. “The  decision to go to all-Southeastern Conference schedule was not a financial decision as such to save us from paying those guarantees. It again was a decision we thought gave us the best opportunity to have a football season that was uninterrupted."

To which I would say: "Sure, Hunter...whatever. Money had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Nothing."

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2020, 07:01:21 am »

Let me make this clear one more time, I posted a number that was intended to clarify a post about one of the other state colleges and universities,  which I've been assured i can do on any forum if and when I feel it is necessary. Had no agenda just saw an opportunity to contribute.

IMO  you are now taking liberties with what i posted, to promote an agenda i don't have a position on other than pointing out that most schools are in the same boat when it comes to funding their athletic programs and that is a very slippery slope to go down. Taking liberties with my post that is.

Someone posts something on a message board and everyone is suppose to automatically know exactly what the intent was and not have an opinion themselves that might or might not be exactly related to that intent.........color me surprised it doesn't always work that way. The subject is schedules. My post related to that subject. I don't think P5 or FBS should SCHEDULE and pay G5 or any other programs to play them. They are whether you think so or not using it to supplement their budgets. I do readily admit the P5 schools do it to try to pad their record. It can backfire though as Arkansas certainly knows to well lately.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2020, 08:06:53 am »

Like I said this is the perfect year to reorder the current system and to experiment a little.  There may not even be any bowls, so they might could add some challenge games at the end of the season.

The SEC could add two teams and have four four team divisions.  Win your division and play the winner of one of the other divisions.  Win that and play in the conference championship game.  Win that and advance to a playoff (but in reality, the playoffs started back at the divisional championship games).  In the playoffs, add a wildcard team or two if needed to get an even number of teams.

It would be an all Power 5 affair.  You could play one non Power 5 team a year in what would essentially be an exhibition game.  The money would be huge.  Interest would be high with big games every weekend.  You could have teams with seven and eight wins who got hot at the right time and made a run.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2020, 08:14:50 am »

Someone posts something on a message board and everyone is suppose to automatically know exactly what the intent was and not have an opinion themselves that might or might not be exactly related to that intent.........color me surprised it doesn't always work that way. The subject is schedules. My post related to that subject. I don't think P5 or FBS should SCHEDULE and pay G5 or any other programs to play them. They are whether you think so or not using it to supplement their budgets. I do readily admit the P5 schools do it to try to pad their record. It can backfire though as Arkansas certainly knows to well lately.

None of which has anything to do with my post you quoted me on pointing out that the 1.8 Million $ was 5% their athletic budget,  which had nothing to do with schedules, or P5's playing G5's .

I resent you, or anyone taking my simple answer to a question , and dragging me or my post into whatever agenda you have with how the majority of schools fund their athletic program, or P5's playing G5's with this:

"In that case all these pay us to play us games the G5 wants the P5 schools to pay them could and should go away."

"Also it should be illegal to have mandatory student athletic fees."

i have no position on the either subject.

Your post here is again using my post to expound your position on subjects my post had nothing to do with, after i took the time to put my posts into the proper context, and knowing that your comment "whether you think so or not", was false,  inaccurate and misleading . By doing so you have again broken one of the rules that exist on Hogville.

Again Lanny and I have agreed on a protocol, and he understands that because my focus is on the other state schools, and I have permission to discuss them, or chime in if they are brought up, on ANY forum here, I would from time to time encounter posters  that simply don't like the other state schools, and that is fine but those posters would obey the rules.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:39:05 am by Seminole Indian »

prattville pig

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2020, 08:22:55 am »

I think this group is overthinking.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2020, 08:34:11 am »

I think this group is overthinking.
i think that is impossible.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2020, 08:58:39 am »

Well we should have known we would draw the short straw.  Georgia and SC.  Georgia and OM got the easiest deals.
Nothing has been announced yet.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2020, 09:16:19 am »

An open letter to my many friends texting and calling me this morning: there is not a 2020
@SEC football schedule yet. Really. The format was decided yesterday. Like everything else during this pandemic, it’s one step at a time. Have a nice weekend.

https://twitter.com/herbvincent/status/1289207302638075906

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2020, 09:21:09 am »

Interesting article on some player feedback given to conference officials before the announcement was made.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/01/sec-football-players-safety-meeting/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virussec-720

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of ‘85
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2020, 09:31:57 am »

Interesting article on some player feedback given to conference officials before the announcement was made.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/01/sec-football-players-safety-meeting/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virussec-720

“There are going to be outbreaks,” one official told players on the call. (The official didn’t identify himself, and the SEC spokesman declined to identify him to The Post.) “We’re going to have cases on every single team in the SEC. That’s a given. And we can’t prevent it.”

And this begs the question: when those players and coaches do test positive, what will the response be?

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2020, 09:45:13 am »

“There are going to be outbreaks,” one official told players on the call. (The official didn’t identify himself, and the SEC spokesman declined to identify him to The Post.) “We’re going to have cases on every single team in the SEC. That’s a given. And we can’t prevent it.”

And this begs the question: when those players and coaches do test positive, what will the response be?
Exactly. MLB had a 113 page plan, but it is on the verge of being shut down 10 days into the season. CFB better have a plan on how to continue once the inevitable positives happen. But given the incubation time, I'm not sure what it can be to proceed confidently once multiple players on a team test positive.

NWAlwyer

« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2020, 10:31:03 am »

This is probably bad for the Hogs as I see it vs. playing a full season or not playing at all.  We need a couple lower-level OOC opponents (I no longer call them "cupcakes" because they routinely kick our @$$ now) each year to *possibly* get a win and gain confidence/practice for conference schedule.  0-10 is a very real possibility. 

So many people saying "The record doesn't matter much this year. . . ."  We've been saying that for three years already; how many more until we have some level of expectation for this team? 

ricepig

« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2020, 10:35:52 am »

None of which has anything to do with my post you quoted me on pointing out that the 1.8 Million $ was 5% their athletic budget,  which had nothing to do with schedules, or P5's playing G5's .

I resent you, or anyone taking my simple answer to a question , and dragging me or my post into whatever agenda you have with how the majority of schools fund their athletic program, or P5's playing G5's with this:

"In that case all these pay us to play us games the G5 wants the P5 schools to pay them could and should go away."

"Also it should be illegal to have mandatory student athletic fees."

i have no position on the either subject.

Your post here is again using my post to expound your position on subjects my post had nothing to do with, after i took the time to put my posts into the proper context, and knowing that your comment "whether you think so or not", was false,  inaccurate and misleading . By doing so you have again broken one of the rules that exist on Hogville.

Again Lanny and I have agreed on a protocol, and he understands that because my focus is on the other state schools, and I have permission to discuss them, or chime in if they are brought up, on ANY forum here, I would from time to time encounter posters  that simply don't like the other state schools, and that is fine but those posters would obey the rules.

And Lanny has rules that we can post our take on your posts. You said what % it was of their athletic budget, thus, you introduced their budget. I’m not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a HI last night, but you opened up the subject of athletic budgets. We’ll have to have a judge rule on whether is opens up further lines of questioning, lol. That, or you can ignore the responses, which I know you can’t.

Hogwild

« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2020, 10:37:25 am »

I wonder how much game insurance we have to cover stuff like this . I know many things like concerts do

Global pandemic from China that has infected over 17 million people, thinking none.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2020, 11:04:35 am »

And Lanny has rules that we can post our take on your posts. You said what % it was of their athletic budget, thus, you introduced their budget. I’m not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a HI last night, but you opened up the subject of athletic budgets. We’ll have to have a judge rule on whether is opens up further lines of questioning, lol. That, or you can ignore the responses, which I know you can’t.
Actually i did not open up the subject of their athletic budget at all, and certainly did not take a stance on how schools fund their athletic programs or if P5's should play G5's.

Of course you can discuss anything you want here, preferably about the Razorbacks, just by the rules Lanny has to make it fun for all of us, and I laid out my case why I think they were taking liberties with my post and the rules.

I'm not going to whine to Lanny, or the Mods here about it as long as it does not get to bad, and i don't mind at all people responding to my post, or disagreeing with them, and I do respect their opinions especially about all things Razorback. 

Of course Lanny, in his wisdom, has a forum for discussing anything you want about the other state colleges and universities, and let this forum be all about the Razorbacks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:26:10 am by Seminole Indian »

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2020, 11:32:13 am »

Finally the first day of practice is on August  2nd, that's tomorrow, Media Day: August 4th and Full Pads: August 6th. Bout time.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2020, 12:02:40 pm »

I have a different viewpoint of this. While I think you are right about the TV money side of it, I think that cutting out the G-5 games and maybe 1 FCS game a year would be doing a disservice to those smaller teams. I get it that some P-5 teams enjoy having some of those teams as development games for their teams in preparation for P-5 conference play, but on the flip side of the coin, it provides much needed revenue games for the G-5 and FCS schools. That revenue helps them sustain athletic programs at the lower classifications which in turn, helps provide athletic scholarships for players who weren't blessed enough to make it at a P-5 school.

In turn, the G-5's play FCS schools and the blessing is passed down. Div II and Div III teams aren't as fortunate because they don't regularly schedule FCS schools, though I am sure it does happen on occasion.

Add to that the "conference only" thing because of CV-19 and we find that the impact for a team like Northwest Missouri State in the MIAA Conference (Div II equivalent of the SEC) who has played in the NC Play-Offs 10 times in the last 22 years and won 6 in those years has gone to a shortened 7 game schedule. Financially, this has to be a difficult year for those smaller teams who rarely get a big pay day from the more highly placed teams.

But the whole point is that those pay days for a lot of teams are essential to help maintain their programs and provide opportunities for many more college athletes. That is why I would be against an ongoing "P-5 only" schedule.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:55:55 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

k.c.hawg

« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2020, 12:36:39 pm »

Actually i did not open up the subject of their athletic budget at all, and certainly did not take a stance on how schools fund their athletic programs or if P5's should play G5's.

Of course you can discuss anything you want here, preferably about the Razorbacks, just by the rules Lanny has to make it fun for all of us, and I laid out my case why I think they were taking liberties with my post and the rules.

I'm not going to whine to Lanny, or the Mods here about it as long as it does not get to bad, and i don't mind at all people responding to my post, or disagreeing with them, and I do respect their opinions especially about all things Razorback. 

Of course Lanny, in his wisdom, has a forum for discussing anything you want about the other state colleges and universities, and let this forum be all about the Razorbacks.

It is a very worthy discussion no matter who bought it up. The overall subject is an all SEC schedule. this could ultimately be a major tipping point in college football. Conference only is pretty much the way it is shaking out with P5. Are the ramifications of this year going to turn this to the new model.

All of these schools with mid sized athletic budgets in the $30m range are going to feel major pressure from all three sources of their funding.

No paycheck games for many will eliminate the biggest portion of the budget that the athletic programs actually bring in.

Student fees are going to be under major pressure from declining on campus attendance.

School funding is going to be under major pressure from how many schools are going to have major funding problems on that academic side.

It's going to look considerably worse when schools look at $30m athletic budgets with athletic departments that have revenues of $4 million. I'm hoping that does not come to fruition but I could see a lot of these G5 schools having to take a step back and consider FCS as a possibility.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas