• 10,953,432 Posts
• 425,656 Topics
• 24,869 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What constitutes a "single ticket"?  (Read 115 times)

heavylifting

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
What constitutes a "single ticket"?
« on: July 27, 2020, 07:22:23 pm »

A few months ago, a huge brouhaha resulted when Will Rogers Downs refused to pay off on a Pick-6 Jackpot won by a bettor who had the only winning combinations on the single bet he placed through his account.  [A dead heat might have muddied the waters, but I don't recall for sure.] Last I heard, WRD refused to pay the jackpot and the matter was headed to litigation.

Anyhow, yesterday's Pick 6 Jackpot was captured at Del Mar as described by DRF's Brad Free --

A bettor who wagered $29,652 into the Sunday pick six at Del Mar scooped the entire pool and caused raised eyebrows after his bet cashed for $173,912. According to Del Mar officials, the bettor won the pick six with a wager made in $8 denominations. The pick six at Del Mar is a $2 minimum. Because the winning bet was a on a “single ticket,” it qualifies for the single-ticket jackpot.

Favorites dominated much of the sequence, starting with a $5.60 payoff in the sixth race, and winners of races 8-11 that paid $4.80, $4, $4.40 and $8.20.  The outlier in the sequence was race-7 winner Sweet River Baines. He paid $114.80.

If this happened at WRD, they'd probably tell him he had it 4 times, ergo 4 tickets, and no good, no jackpot for you!

Those jackpot scenarios are rife for so much misunderstanding and misinterpretation of obscure rules that I don't know why all these tracks have gone all in on them.  Well, actually, I do know, but nowadays the Pick 5 pools in New York and California dwarf the Pick 6 pools.  Maybe I'm misreading the situation, but 6 must seem a bridge too far to many, while 5 seems doable.  Not to mention that they don't seem to pay out on 5 correct on the P6 now if the 6 is hit.  Those 5 correct could be serious money to a lot of bettors. 

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: What constitutes a "single ticket"?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 04:34:24 am »

Maybe I'm misreading the situation, but 6 must seem a bridge too far to many, while 5 seems doable.  Not to mention that they don't seem to pay out on 5 correct on the P6 now if the 6 is hit.  Those 5 correct could be serious money to a lot of bettors. 

The Pick 6 was always a $2 bet. Making it very hard to play a decent ticket cheap where as the P5 is 50 cent.
Even if the P6 is a 50 cent bet you have a $250 P5 ticket and are 4 deep in the last leg to make it a P6 now you are up to 1k.

I always go through mark the horses I think have a shot then figure up my ticket cost. I then look at the chances to make money.  Some days it just looks like it could be favorites even though the fields are deep and you could lose money playing a large ticket.

A bettor who wagered $29,652 into the Sunday pick six at Del Mar scooped the entire pool and caused raised eyebrows after his bet cashed for $173,912. According to Del Mar officials, the bettor won the pick six with a wager made in $8 denominations. The pick six at Del Mar is a $2 minimum. Because the winning bet was a on a “single ticket,” it qualifies for the single-ticket jackpot.

This is a mess I could play against it on both sides.  On one hand the bettor bet only one ticket.  On the other hand the payout is going to read it paid 43k roughly and the bettor had it 4 times so technically the bet was hit 4 times.  So the bettor wasted $22,500 by betting it 4x instead of once as it didn't increase his payout.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas