• 10,953,369 Posts
• 425,655 Topics
• 24,869 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone fired up about next Thurs or Fri??  (Read 387 times)

k.c.hawg

Is anyone fired up about next Thurs or Fri??
« on: July 18, 2020, 11:19:29 am »

I will be damn glad to have a sport back on I sincerely care about. But my fire is warm. Nothing like the anticipation of a normal Opening Day.

I've watched some Golf. Fell out of love with NASCAR 7 or 8 years ago, I've watched a few minutes here and there, watched some F1. Not a big soccer fan unless it's World Cup or SKC in the playoffs. So in that respect baseball will be very, very welcome. 60 day season, ughhhhhh. But I do think it will bring a real sense of urgency to teams that are loaded that know that 162 games almost always lets the odds play out in the better teams favor. 60 games, you better not have a terrible 15 game stretch!!

Anyway here is lifting an ice cold beer to next Thursday/Friday!!!

Oliver

Re: Is anyone fired up about next Thurs or Fri??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:25:41 pm »

No because #Metsfan

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GolfNut57

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 09:16:10 pm »

Looking forward to it for sure......but not with the usual anticipation a normal season of 162 games would bring. Kind of hard to get too up for it at this point. I am curious to see what kind of package DirecTV will offer for the limited season and how much will they think people will pay for just 60 games.

Oliver

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 04:56:06 pm »

Looking forward to it for sure......but not with the usual anticipation a normal season of 162 games would bring. Kind of hard to get too up for it at this point. I am curious to see what kind of package DirecTV will offer for the limited season and how much will they think people will pay for just 60 games.

To me this is way more exciting than normal.  Every game means so much more than normal.  It won’t be the usual stat padding season that baseball gives you but in terms of every game is important, it’s cutting out a lot of the chaff

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 07:12:56 pm »

Definitely;  it'll be strange hoping the Cardinals only lose 60 games this year.

GolfNut57

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 09:22:08 pm »

Definitely;  it'll be strange hoping the Cardinals only lose 60 games this year.

Usually the rule of thumb is, every team wins 50 games and every team loses 50 games. It is what they each do with the other 62 games in the season that decides who win the titles.

So based on that math.......every team will win 15 games.........every team will lose 15 games......what they do with the other 30.......lol

joeyself

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 04:14:42 pm »

To me this is way more exciting than normal.  Every game means so much more than normal.  It won’t be the usual stat padding season that baseball gives you but in terms of every game is important, it’s cutting out a lot of the chaff

I understand what you're saying, but I like the duration of a normal baseball season.  A team can fall back 8 games in June and slowly crawl back into playoff contention by picking up a game a week on the leader.  A couple of key injuries and a team can't recover.  It is as fair for one as the other, I realize, but I don't think it will be as interesting for the big fans.

JcS

hogbud

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:48:12 am »

I’m excited....then the pace of play will remind me how I hate watching MLB

Dropkick

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 09:03:55 pm »

No
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:36:05 pm by Dropkick »

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 09:42:41 am »

I am stoked.

Go Cardinals!

I'll have a brush pile burning, some nice cold ones, a little Mother Nature, and follow the game on my iPad.

hogbud

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 12:14:55 pm »

Fake fans in stands is just dumb

Rayzback

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 12:22:03 pm »

Hendricks opening day shutout was fun to watch. (crickets)

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 12:28:19 pm »

Well... I was expecting my Royals to be kinda fun to watch this season..... 17 strikeouts later... not so sure...

hoglady

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 07:03:35 am »

Watched Benintendi get hit #500 last night but talk about a rough start.
He's now 2 for 17 batting lead off. He did not bat well last year when in the lead off spot.
Glad to see he's grown his hair back out - just didn't look like Andrew with that new age haircut last year.

Red Sox announcer's did the game - no talk about anything but baseball and it was glorious.

southarkhog06

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 04:39:39 pm »

Hendricks opening day shutout was fun to watch. (crickets)
that was beautiful to watch.

hoglady

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 05:07:06 pm »

I know - when Bennie hit #500 last night he motioned to the dug out to get the ball for him / the announcers laughed and said "It may be hard to get it from those cardboard fans"

GolfNut57

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 09:50:57 pm »

Watched Benintendi get hit #500 last night but talk about a rough start.
He's now 2 for 17 batting lead off. He did not bat well last year when in the lead off spot.
Glad to see he's grown his hair back out - just didn't look like Andrew with that new age haircut last year.

Red Sox announcer's did the game - no talk about anything but baseball and it was glorious.

Since he isn't hitting worth a damn it might be better for him to cut that mop on his head.

GolfNut57

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 10:00:13 pm »

Even moreso that they are using pre-recorded crowd sounds from last year to make it sound like people are actually there. Even down to booing on pickoff throws to 1B.

hoglady

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 11:28:31 pm »

Since he isn't hitting worth a damn it might be better for him to cut that mop on his head.

He struggled last year starting the season in lead off.
Batted much better when moved down with Betts taking over the lead off spot.

GolfNut57

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:55 pm »

He struggled last year starting the season in lead off.
Batted much better when moved down with Betts taking over the lead off spot.

Yep......Roenicke had him bat last in the order one game, where he also went Ofer, and then Roenicke moved him right back into the leadoff spot the very next game. Personally I think Roenicke is not all that good as a manager. Boston could have done better for a replacement after they fired Cora.

hoglady

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 01:01:31 pm »

Yep......Roenicke had him bat last in the order one game, where he also went Ofer, and then Roenicke moved him right back into the leadoff spot the very next game. Personally I think Roenicke is not all that good as a manager. Boston could have done better for a replacement after they fired Cora.

Looking forward to today's game with the Yankees.

GolfNut57

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 01:13:12 pm »

Looking forward to today's game with the Yankees.

With Bostons bad pitching and offense being absent I expect the Yanks to be getting deep into our bullpen by the fourth inning. and likely will be that way all three games as they won't even have to face Eovaldi, who is the only decent starter we have active right now.

Oliver

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 02:22:06 pm »

The only thing I’m fired up about right now when it comes to baseball is the beginning of next season...when the Mets won’t be owned by the Coupons anymore and hopefully Brodie Van Wagenen will be shown the door

hoglady

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 02:30:18 pm »

With Bostons bad pitching and offense being absent I expect the Yanks to be getting deep into our bullpen by the fourth inning. and likely will be that way all three games as they won't even have to face Eovaldi, who is the only decent starter we have active right now.

Pretty good article on how the Red Sox got to where they are today.
I just happned on it earlier today.
Paying dearly for moves made a few years back.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/red-sox-were-positioned-dominate-yankees-decade-so-what-hell-happened

GolfNut57

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 09:43:01 pm »

Pretty good article on how the Red Sox got to where they are today.
I just happned on it earlier today.
Paying dearly for moves made a few years back.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/red-sox-were-positioned-dominate-yankees-decade-so-what-hell-happened

What they are paying for now is letting Dave Dombrowski rape and pillage the best farm system in baseball five years ago in effort to win the day instead of winning the future. What's really sad is Dombrowski had the rep for doing that at every place he has been the GM before landing in Boston. And sure enough he did the same ol same ol in Beantown. It may take them the next three years to recover from the damage that clown did.

hoglady

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 05:35:04 am »

What they are paying for now is letting Dave Dombrowski rape and pillage the best farm system in baseball five years ago in effort to win the day instead of winning the future. What's really sad is Dombrowski had the rep for doing that at every place he has been the GM before landing in Boston. And sure enough he did the same ol same ol in Beantown. It may take them the next three years to recover from the damage that clown did.

They'll be lucky to recover that quickly - they have a blown up farm system and a blown up team. Wonder if JD opts out of his contract at the end of this season?

hoglady

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 05:58:15 pm »

Benintendi out of the line up again tonight.
Was also out of the line up on Friday.
Lead off last night - went 0-3 / 2 walks and scored 1 run.

Batting an absolutely absymal .083 / 2-24.

GolfNut57

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 06:30:09 pm »

Benintendi out of the line up again tonight.
Was also out of the line up on Friday.
Lead off last night - went 0-3 / 2 walks and scored 1 run.

Batting an absolutely absymal .083 / 2-24.

Part of that 0-3 was 2 K's.

hoglady

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »

Part of that 0-3 was 2 K's.

At this point you figure it's mental.
There's no way he should be looking at a batting average like that.
The last time he was slumping - he went back and watched tape of when he was at Arkansas and noticed his leg kick was different. Guess it could be something like that.

GolfNut57

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 09:35:08 pm »

Well supposedly they mentioned on the Boston website that his leg kick timing was off. Obviously if true it is messing with his swing. But right now I don't think Bostons hitting coach is doing his job because almost everyone on the team stinks with a bat the last few games. JBJ is 0-his last 17 at the plate, JD Martinez has yet to hit his first HR and others just can't hit a bull in the ass with a bat. This team has way too many issues right now to even think of making a 16 team playoff. From lousy pitching to lousy hitting top to bottom this Boston Red Sox team is just plain pathetic.

hoglady

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 08:15:45 am »

Well supposedly they mentioned on the Boston website that his leg kick timing was off. Obviously if true it is messing with his swing. But right now I don't think Bostons hitting coach is doing his job because almost everyone on the team stinks with a bat the last few games. JBJ is 0-his last 17 at the plate, JD Martinez has yet to hit his first HR and others just can't hit a bull in the ass with a bat. This team has way too many issues right now to even think of making a 16 team playoff. From lousy pitching to lousy hitting top to bottom this Boston Red Sox team is just plain pathetic.

Finally found some pitchers last night they could get some hits off of.
And then the pitching staff let them down late in the game.
The shortened season is a good thing for this Red Sox team - they are hard to watch.

GolfNut57

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »

Finally found some pitchers last night they could get some hits off of.
And then the pitching staff let them down late in the game.
The shortened season is a good thing for this Red Sox team - they are hard to watch.

Yeah............I keep hoping that the commissioner will just say screw it and cancel the season since teams aren't doing enough to keep players and coaches from catching the virus. I heard the clown announcers on ESPN last night say, "if the season ended today, these would be your postseason teams from the AL East. After 10 freaking games that is an stupid comment to make. If the season actually ended  after 10 games there would be no point to having a postseason. Such an event would be a real joke as no one has done enough to deserve anything yet.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 08:22:20 pm »

Yeah............I keep hoping that the commissioner will just say screw it and cancel the season since teams aren't doing enough to keep players and coaches from catching the virus. I heard the clown announcers on ESPN last night say, "if the season ended today, these would be your postseason teams from the AL East. After 10 freaking games that is an stupid comment to make. If the season actually ended  after 10 games there would be no point to having a postseason. Such an event would be a real joke as no one has done enough to deserve anything yet.

Teams seems to be doing fine, aside from one.    Even the Marlins have their outbreak under control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas