• 10,957,155 Posts
• 425,786 Topics
• 24,875 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington franchise retires name, logo  (Read 287 times)

jbcarol

Washington franchise retires name, logo
« on: July 13, 2020, 03:07:07 pm »

FineAsSwine

Re: Washington franchise retires name, logo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:08:46 pm »

Well damm

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Undefeated!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:55:55 am »

I think they should get rid of the name Cowboys to.  That's degradation at its finest, make it happen quick!

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 05:57:57 pm »

Should have happened a long time ago, but I guess better late than never.

If you are wondering "where does it end", you ask yourself 3 questions.

1. What's the origin?
2. How are things today?
3. What's the execution of it in terms of fans/audience/etc...

For Washington, they basically fail at all three. Origin of the term "redskin" is pure and simple racism. No ifs, ands, or buts about that. However, origin of Fanta and volkswaggon aren't exactly pretty either and they do just fine, which brings us to the second part.

Redskin is still largely considered a slur to this day. There is definitely mixed opinions among the native american community at which the slur is directed as to how they view the word. Two very common responses are that the issue of the word is so low in importance that they just don't care or that native americans have been so much erased from anybody's minds that slur or not, at least they are getting talked about so they actually view it positively.

Further, analyzing the logo, it was designed by somebody from the native american community, so that's definitely a plus. However, that design, from the person themselves, was based on the buffalo nickel which itself was designed based on multiple different native american individuals. So on one hand, you could argue that it represents natives as a whole, though you could also then argue that it represents more of caricature that treats all native americans the same, erasing the actual identities and differences in cultures especially when slapping the name redskins on top. There's validity to both interpretations there. Contrast that with something like Florida State. A very specific and locally relevant tribe and imagery. And they didn't start that way. Early on they just had generic, cartoonish native imagery and such based on what student's had seen from hollywood. Wasn't until the late 50's and into the 70's that they really started to focus on not having basically made up hollywood imagery but instead actually try to glorify a real tribe.

Which brings us to the third element of what does it inspire? Went pretty well into FSU above, and that's a great example of something positive. With Washington's football team, its fans more often go with the cartoonish depictions, and the hollywood blanket "indian".

So, all in all, the "redskins" needed to go. By all means, if they want to keep a native american team name/symbol, then talk to some tribes, preferable ones with local significance, lease their name and imagery for some agreed upon fees or such, and really use the team to lift them up rather than caricaturize them. They have a pretty strong history with the nickname war hogs which would be another good name or the red tails which would keep the colors and such while having a geographically relevant awesome bird not to mention honoring the badass warriors from tuskegee.

RebelliousHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 08:43:16 am »

I suggested some time ago that they contact one of the tribes and do what FSU did.  Comanches, Apaches.

Build a new team persona WITH that tribes blessing. 

jbcarol

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 11:21:09 am »

NFL finally reacts to report of alleged sexual harassment within Dan Snyder’s Washington organization

Fifteen women who previously worked for Washington organization have alleged sexual harassment and verbal abuse.
al.com

15 women who worked for Dan Snyder’s Washington organization have alleged sexual harassment by high-ranking officials, the NFL and the team owner have issued statements:

1highhog

• The Undefeated!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 03:55:11 pm »

I worked 10 years at a place I'm not going to mention on here in my 20's.  During those years on the job, I was sexually harassed multiple times, groped at least 1,000 times over those years, and raped twice.  I enjoyed every minute over it.  Bless a job where your outnumbered by women 10-1.

jbcarol

hoglady

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 08:21:42 am »

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/nfl-washington-redskins-football-team-espn-2020

Got a good laugh out of the comments section.

"I'm more offended they're calling themselves a football team than I am redskins"

TushCrush

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 12:03:32 pm »

Got a good laugh out of the comments section.

"I'm more offended they're calling themselves a football team than I am redskins"
Washington is a dumpster fire ...  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas