• 10,244,814 Posts
• 416,891 Topics
• 24,911 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coach Neighbors/Coach Love on podcasts  (Read 803 times)

psycHOGlogist

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Coach Neighbors/Coach Love on podcasts
« on: June 30, 2020, 11:17:27 am »

psycHOGlogist

• Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: Coach Neighbors/Coach Love on podcasts
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:29:50 pm »

The interview with Coach Love is particularly interesting to me - you learn some really interesting things about her background (or, at least I did) and get a nice bit of insight into program culture and how the program goes about recruiting.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

flippinhogmana

• Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:07 pm »

I liked it all except the last little bit (on coach Love).  humble beginnings and working hard to earn your own way is how most of us accumulated anything including whatever reputations we have.  When she talked about no one having the money or ability to take her to school when she went off to college so she had to take a greyhound bus without even a suitcase, I could relate to that. 

We weren't quite that bad off but we were poor folks too and nobody knew it quite as acutely as the smart kid that was the baby of my family.  Again when she said that recruitment for her consisted of letters from people she didn't even know like a woman named Pat Summit because she didn't watch TV much (possibly because they didn't have one or because like us they might have only got one channel) and had no telephone a lot of the time, that also had a ring of familiarity. 

But she got into activism at the end, which I can also understand but am leary of due to the effect it might have.  I was a nolan richardson fan, knew him from my TU days when he was coach here, and campaigned for his hire here.  But his later activism, in fact daring the administration to fire him when there was no intention of even disciplining him until he pretty much made himself the issue, divided the fan base for years.  I am glad the rift was mended and he was restored, but it didnt have to happen in the first place.  When we had a popular football coach (an alumni from our national championship team) who opened his sunday show with a bible verse each sunday, frank broyles told him to cut it out, that it was devisive, its a good part of the reason why he left.

when jimmy D.  supported kneeling during the anthem (?) it didn't go well for him and the fan base either (or the program as a result.  Even if he had been a better coach I'm not sure he would have recovered from it.  this whole thing (combined with the covid disruption) has put a lot of people in a surly mood.  There is an old idiom that says, dont throw the baby out with the bath water.  Every body knows babies need baths, and everyone knows you dont want to bathe them forever in the same water.   I could go into why I think this might turn out badly, but I will just say that I am afraid that it will.  My one consolation is that Mike is more skilled than most, if anyone can calm the waters and keep the ship headed in the right direction, it is likely to be him.

Despite the last, my hat is still off to Coach Love.  its coaches like her (she especially is the coach who had most to do with getting Lex settled and on keel).  It was our coach who left (Goldwire, Lacey I think was her name?) that had connections in southern oklahoma that gave us an inroad into getting several of our oklahoma committs.  Its coaches like Coach love who especially helped with Eaton and that will help with those okie girls as they develop.  I wish her well.

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »

I just finished these both and really enjoyed!  Thanks again for sharing Psych!

nwahogfan1

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 09:26:12 am »

Flippin,  I could not agree with you more.   I think most of us love the rags to riches stories so why doesn't Love stop there? 

Why bring in that she or anyone else who can not put two nickels together when younger but working hard to make something out of their lives into a victim.     

I agree with you on Richardson also.  He never considered himself a victim when we was winning but when he started losing recruits and games his last few years it was all about him being the victim. 

I love those speaking out against those who call themselves the victims now.   Goodness people We live in America.  The land of the free and the brave.  If you think you have it rough here move to these 3rd world countries where you still work for pennies unless you are one of the few who are at the top.    We need to quit expecting the Government to bail out our laziness.

BWS

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 03:11:04 pm »

JD never really supported the kneeling. Publicly he came out in support of it but privately he hated it. From what I understand, he was told by JL he couldn't stop or discipline the players.

I can understand how NR's attitude could rub some people off the wrong way. But from reading what he experienced, I can understand his bitterness. I'm fortunate to not lived at a time where you had to go across the border to Mexico to eat at a restaurant or not have to sit in the back of a bus because of your skin color. His path to coaching basketball was technically by accident. He originally wanted to coach football but was told he would never be hired as the head football coach. The fact is he had to deal with issues while he was coach at Arkansas. His teams struggled his first two years here, and he dealt with criticism, death threats, and racism, all while having to care for a sick child. It's not true that he only considered himself a victim during the last years because he was very critical of the media during the 1994 championship run over how they portrayed himself and his team. Fans want a certain level of decorum for their coaches and it's something he frankly wasn't built to do. He was a fighter and stubborn, and ultimately that was his downfall at Arkansas.

flippinhogmana

• Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 04:14:19 pm »

well some say you have two lives, the first one is the one you learn with, and the second the one you live with afterwards.  I am glad, as I said in my statements, that he was reconciled to the hogs, there were a lot of people here who loved him as well and never gave up on him.  I was always a fan even when I thought he failed to be as gracious and appreciative as he could have been.  Most of us south of the mendoza line of poverty have had to overcome some things, that helps some of us understand some things, but I always tried to remember one thing my mom told me over and over:  you get more with sugar that with salt.  that's generally true regardless of you skin color or how much money or education you have.  I am a fighter too, but sometimes I have learned its the better part of wisdom to keep you mouth curbed just a little bit.  You dont have to convince the world of its ills in one conversation.  Stay around, and work on as you go.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 07:13:00 pm »

I want everyone to be careful not to let discussions in this Forum devolve into politics. We have a board dedicated to Politics and you can post in there. psych's original posts was just to provide information from Arkansas' sports' sources. I don't think it was designed to solicit political debate. If so, I'll move the entire thread to Politics.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 01:37:57 pm »

I want everyone to be careful not to let discussions in this Forum devolve into politics. We have a board dedicated to Politics and you can post in there. psych's original posts was just to provide information from Arkansas' sports' sources. I don't think it was designed to solicit political debate. If so, I'll move the entire thread to Politics.
  As one of the moderators, i completely agree.  I have been down this road before and it ends up on another forum where it belongs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas