• 10,921,844 Posts
• 424,832 Topics
• 24,851 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC Media Days won't take place July 13-16 as originally planned  (Read 943 times)

Lanny

SEC Media Days won't take place July 13-16 as originally planned and how long they'll be postponed until is still TBD

Arkansas Fan

Re: SEC Media Days won't take place July 13-16 as originally planned
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 12:54:27 pm »

Was looking forward to hearing Pittman speak, as well as some other coaches. Leach comes to mind. It always meant football was close.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 01:10:29 pm »

Given that it is online this year, I'm surprised it was cancelled. The conferences face a nearly impossible task in trying to have these games this year.

Wildhog

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 01:29:28 pm »

Given that it is online this year, I'm surprised it was cancelled. The conferences face a nearly impossible task in trying to have these games this year.

Yeah, I just don't see how they can do it.  God, I hope I'm wrong.  No football would break my spirit.

Pork Ranger

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 01:35:57 pm »

Yeah, I just don't see how they can do it.  God, I hope I'm wrong.  No football would break my spirit.

I agree, unfortunately. With the way we’ve combated it so far I just don’t see how a season can be played. I wish there was more concrete data about transmissions among asymptomatic people with Covid 19.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of ‘85
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 02:19:30 pm »

Aside from the financial impact, which will be huge, this is about to be an eligibility nightmare

Wildhog

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 02:20:36 pm »

Aside from the financial impact, which will be huge, this is about to be an eligibility nightmare

I've been thinking about that.  I don't know how to do it without kids losing a year of eligibility.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • Formerly posting as Snout Says
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 02:23:29 pm »

This is the year that cheaters will prosper.

31to6

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 02:25:40 pm »

I've been thinking about that.  I don't know how to do it without kids losing a year of eligibility.
The most obvious answer is for the NCAA to amend the regulations to allow all athletes an additional year of eligibility.

Worst case scenario? Some kids get to play an extra year of base/basket/football, etc and an extra year of college.

To hell with "competitive advantage" in a situation like this.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:03 pm »

SEC Media Days won't take place July 13-16 as originally planned and how long they'll be postponed until is still TBD

I'm afraid the answer to 'TBD' is July 14-17, 2021.

:'(

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:30 pm »

The most obvious answer is for the NCAA to amend the regulations to allow all athletes an additional year of eligibility.

Worst case scenario? Some kids get to play an extra year of base/basket/football, etc and an extra year of college.

To hell with "competitive advantage" in a situation like this.
Though that has really screwed with incoming freshman in some of the spring sports by giving more years to the existing players. Unless they grant relief to the 85 player limit keeping older players squeezes incoming.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 03:52:23 pm »

I agree, unfortunately. With the way we’ve combated it so far I just don’t see how a season can be played. I wish there was more concrete data about transmissions among asymptomatic people with Covid 19.

It is just transmissions, period. You have a sport like football where, just to practice, you have guys lining up across from each other and making up close contact, breathing hard, sweating, grabbing, pushing, pulling, etc, over and over and over 3-4 days a week. You have a virus that is pretty easily spread through exhaled droplets. How you mix those two things is beyond me. It's inevitable that players are going to get it, so what do you do then? 14 day quarantine for close contacts? If it is an OL, he could have had close contact with your entire 2 deep DL.

hogfan14

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 03:54:18 pm »

Though that has really screwed with incoming freshman in some of the spring sports by giving more years to the existing players. Unless they grant relief to the 85 player limit keeping older players squeezes incoming.

I believe they lifted the roster cap for baseball so maybe they'd do something similar for football as well

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 04:07:31 pm »

I believe they lifted the roster cap for baseball so maybe they'd do something similar for football as well

The problem is for the schools being able to provide more aid. And keep in mind the Title IX implications if they increase the # of players of football scholarships.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 04:23:47 pm »

We were never going to have a 2020 season as we were never going to accept the athletes were going to contract the virus even though most would only endure mild effects.  You see many losing their minds now as young people in states like Az, Fl and Ga get the virus.  Schools aren't going to be in person this Fall. 

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 04:57:06 pm »

We were never going to have a 2020 season as we were never going to accept the athletes were going to contract the virus even though most would only endure mild effects.  You see many losing their minds now as young people in states like Az, Fl and Ga get the virus.  Schools aren't going to be in person this Fall. 
At a minimum I think most colleges will start in person, and then we'll see what happens with the spread once they are all together.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 05:27:11 pm »

And why not? It can all be done with distancing, even by virtue of remote media meetings. This seems very odd to me. No reason that media days can't be conducted by virtue of remote meetings through "Microsoft Teams" or even the ancient, "Go To Meeting".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:44:39 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 07:23:08 pm »

At a minimum I think most colleges will start in person, and then we'll see what happens with the spread once they are all together.

I think they want to be in person.  Athens is seeing students catching it now.

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 07:29:15 pm »

We might have an extra year of recruiting and rebuilding. The NCAA should consider this year as if it doesn't count towards eligibity. Let the players hit the books on schollies anyway.  Increase the roster limits next year by about 20.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 08:34:14 pm »

We might have an extra year of recruiting and rebuilding. The NCAA should consider this year as if it doesn't count towards eligibity. Let the players hit the books on schollies anyway.  Increase the roster limits next year by about 20.
Yes, and if they don't play and do not make progress towards their degree then make them ineligible! 

A fall without football is not fun at all.

Hawgphat

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:03:13 pm »

I don't know diddly squat; - - but I really don't see the traditional Media Days extravaganza as being a prerequisite heralding the official start of the preseason buildup.  I see no logical reason why our season cannot commence on September 5th without having held the four day Coach Speak Media Event.  Media Days are exciting, and serve as an appetite whetting for die-hard fans; - - but they're not absolutely essential in terms of a prescribed season start-up regimentation process.  We could have a season without'em.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 03:29:46 am »

I don't know diddly squat; - - but I really don't see the traditional Media Days extravaganza as being a prerequisite heralding the official start of the preseason buildup.  I see no logical reason why our season cannot commence on September 5th without having held the four day Coach Speak Media Event.  Media Days are exciting, and serve as an appetite whetting for die-hard fans; - - but they're not absolutely essential in terms of a prescribed season start-up regimentation process.  We could have a season without'em.
You may not know diddly squat but at least you're not sitting around spewing doom and gloom like a lot other fans who also don't know diddly squat. Sam Pittman said yesterday that he's got his players operating in a vacuum as much as possible because of all the stupid rumors. He also said that most of this, "we're not going to have a season" stuff is coming from the media.

He doesn't know where they're getting their information from but he's getting his directly from the SEC Commissioner. The 14 SEC coaches meet with the Commish every Thursday morning and they're planning to play football on time.

I'm very familiar with one stupid rumor. I spent much of Monday night trying to track it down. A "source close to the players" was saying that they had already been told they were going back home on Tuesday because too many of them had tested positive for COVID-19. I finally learned that the source was completely wrong.

Before a Zoom I did with Pittman, Rakeem Boyd and Busta Brown yesterday I was told that they would not discuss specific COVID numbers with me. All three did however, indicate that the number of players testing positive on this team was very low. So low in fact that Boyd believes a team like Arkansas will have an advantage to start the season.

Now I guess they could all be covering up. We'll find out in the coming weeks. But I believe them.

I don't know what it is about some people who seem to enjoy depressing the hell out of everybody but they're doing a good job of it. Seems like half the fan base has given up. Run up the white flag. Season over.  Nothing will ever be the same again. Blah blah blah.

Hope the doomsayers are having fun. The rest of us aren't but we're trying to stay positive while learning as much as we can about what's really going on.

PearlHarbor

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 05:49:02 am »

What happens when the first player dies? Or even just a regular student?

I can't help but infer some machinations with the media days cancellation. Especially since they didn't reschedule.

havok

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 06:22:52 am »

Agreed.. if they have concerns over teleconferences to where cancelled.....then it doesn't bode well for actual Games to be played.  Hope to God we have Football.. I am so ready to get the rotten smell of CM out of the air..

jbcarol

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 10:29:11 am »

SEC Football News@SECfootball
·
5m
Paul Finebaum says anyone suggesting college football will start on time in front of full stadiums is ‘full of crap’

Finebaum is beginning to doubt if the college football season will even take place.
11:20 AM · Jul 1, 2020·

...SEC Network (sic) called out anyone seriously suggesting things haven’t changed when it comes to the fall season being played as usual.

“Not to sound like a lot of people, but if you go back to Memorial Day, I felt great,” Finebaum said on the show. “I may have even expressed that to you guys at some point. Not anymore. I think the only people who are selling delusion and hope right now are folks who run college football. They’re talking about on-time beginnings in full stadiums, and they’re all full of crap.

“It’s time to start speaking realistically. I mean, I heard Adam Silver the other day say, ‘Yeah, we might just shut things down.’ I mean, you have to be realistic and I think for too long, college executives have been selling hope,” Finebaum continued. “The push to get players back on campus, the push to do all of these things, which is fine, we’re not, none of us are against college football, we’re all huge fans. But it’s reality time now.

“It’s July 1, and anyone who believes that the college football season is in good shape is wrong. I mean, I don’t even know what the best-case scenario I could give you right now is. I do believe that if there is a season, it won’t start on time. And I’m beginning to seriously question whether there will be a season or not.”

Does not have a best-case scenario to offer

Hawgphat

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 11:38:12 am »

I could be wrong about this, but I foresee at least three possible impending scenarios for college football:

(1)  The full slate of this coming season's scheduled games are played with some degree of a live fans attendance limitation factor, perhaps with changing parameters throughout the season as general health conditions evolve.

(2)  An abbreviated, compromise season might be implemented under very strict procedural guidelines.

(3)  The plug will be pulled on college football for the foreseeable future, and many collegiate football programs will go belly up.  In that case scenario, former football fans might be reduced to watching college hopscotch matches from September through November, - - with no live fan attendance, - - - (and if strict social distancing is strictly enforced among the competitors.)

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 11:53:58 am »

I could be wrong about this, but I foresee at least three possible impending scenarios for college football:

(1)  The full slate of this coming season's scheduled games are played with some degree of a live fans attendance limitation factor, perhaps with changing parameters throughout the season as general health conditions evolve.

(2)  An abbreviated, compromise season might be implemented under very strict procedural guidelines.

(3)  The plug will be pulled on college football for the foreseeable future, and many collegiate football programs will go belly up.  In that case scenario, former football fans might be reduced to watching college hopscotch matches from September through November, - - with no live fan attendance, - - - (and if strict social distancing is strictly enforced among the competitors.)

1. Most states are still limiting large gatherings. Is that going to change in 60 days to where 30k, 40k or larger crowds are allowed? So the thought of a normal season is almost laughable at this point.

2. Some games are played, where travel is minimal, no fans.

3. Plug gets pulled, and massive govt $ is poured in to keep programs from crashing.

parallaxpig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 11:55:45 am »

3. Plug gets pulled, and massive govt $ is poured in to keep programs from crashing.
[/quote]

Just stop it!!!!!!!

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 12:00:44 pm »

If Pfizer can get a vaccine in mass production by early Jan. as many expect, why not push the football season to the fall for one year and try to make it as normal as possible otherwise?

Hawgphat

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 12:14:50 pm »

We should all learn something about the fate of this upcoming season during this next month.  It would be infeasible for football programs to enter full season preparation mode by instituting full blown practice drills if there is to be no season.

I refuse to relinquish hope.  I wish more of you could maintain a positive outlook.  That's not a criticism; - - it's simply an observation.  Whatever may happen - - or may not happen, - - - I remain a staunch, fully supportive Razorbacks fan.  I trust that you will also.

Cotton

• If she ain't foreign she borin'
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »

I don't see any chance of football starting in 2 months.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 12:31:51 pm »

I don't see any chance of football starting in 2 months.

It's really not two months, it's one. Fall team practices for college, pro, and HS are supposed to start by Aug 1.

Cotton

• If she ain't foreign she borin'
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 12:37:15 pm »

It's really not two months, it's one. Fall team practices for college, pro, and HS are supposed to start by Aug 1.
First games are 2 months away.  They might start some practice... don't see anyway games are played in Sept.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of ‘85
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 12:38:14 pm »

No one knows with ".38 certainty" what will happen in two months or three months.

I believe we have the season in some form. The financial repercussions are too great not to; and the landscape of intercollegiate athletics is likely to be forever altered otherwise.

If the season is played, I will follow the directives to the letter. Would I personally risk catching the virus to go watch Razorback football in RRS? Yes, and without giving it a second thought. 

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 12:38:40 pm »

There is.

If you've got it you are equally as contagious whether you show symptoms or not.

Source:  NPR the last couple of days.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 12:50:51 pm »

No one knows with ".38 certainty" what will happen in two months or three months.

I believe we have the season in some form. The financial repercussions are too great not to; and the landscape of intercollegiate athletics is likely to be forever altered otherwise.

If the season is played, I will follow the directives to the letter. Would I personally risk catching the virus to go watch Razorback football in RRS? Yes, and without giving it a second thought. 

There is.

If you've got it you are equally as contagious whether you show symptoms or not.

Source:  NPR the last couple of days.

These bring up another point. Lets say the season is being played. Someone has tickets to See the Hogs play, does not matter where. The day before the game, they test positive, but they have no symptoms. How many of those people would still go to the game? You could insert any team - Bama, Aub, Clemson, Tx, ND, etc. How many asymptomatic people, testing positive right before a game they had tickets to, would still attend the game? My money would be n a number of 50% or greater.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 01:02:19 pm »

These bring up another point. Lets say the season is being played. Someone has tickets to See the Hogs play, does not matter where. The day before the game, they test positive, but they have no symptoms. How many of those people would still go to the game? You could insert any team - Bama, Aub, Clemson, Tx, ND, etc. How many asymptomatic people, testing positive right before a game they had tickets to, would still attend the game? My money would be n a number of 50% or greater.
What's our record and who are we playing?

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 01:13:26 pm »

This is where an N95 mask built around a full face shield would be nice if any of you all would like to invent one.

If you're going to do this throw in some lighting (both forward looking and to light up the face a little so that you could be seen-think TV space suit helmet-everybody likes to be seen.)  Also a wide piece to go over and behind your head to make it easy to put on and take off instead of those stupid elastic straps.  For extra credit put in Bluetooth headphones and microphone so answering your phone wouldn't be a bother and you could also listen to music/The Game (if your phone is radio enabled or a headphone jack for those who don't have one of those.)

Of course there would be far too many take them off so that they could yell louder but all you can do is try, right?.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 01:14:35 pm »

SIAP

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2020/07/01/college-football-season-starting-fall-dubious-covid/5352371002/

"Meanwhile, some FBS conferences are actively engaged with banks on opening up lines of credit to guard against lost revenue, a key acknowledgment that schools fear a potential revenue wipeout this fall."

Only reason games would be played would be for the tv revenue. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas