• 10,244,777 Posts
• 416,887 Topics
• 24,911 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WBB Schedule tidbit  (Read 1126 times)

psycHOGlogist

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
WBB Schedule tidbit
« on: May 28, 2020, 11:49:20 am »

In the Big 12/SEC challenge, the quality of our opponent just took a HUGE step forward: we drew Baylor.

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2020/may/28/arkansas-host-baylor-women-big-12sec-challenge/

Though, of all years to get the Bears, next year is probably among the best. They are going to be great, as always, but they have to replace Lauren Cox, Te'a Cooper, and Juicy Landrum, all of whom were WNBA draftees.

That said, their roster is still loaded with talent, including some tough frontcourt talent in 6'2" PF NaLyssa Smith, 6'3" C Queen Egbo, and incoming Fr 6'5" Hannah Gusters, who is a top 20 recruit, per ESPN.

This will be a great test for us during the pre-season!

MP24

Re: WBB Schedule tidbit
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 12:09:50 pm »

One interesting game will be Texas A&M at Texas with the history of the schools and the coaches.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/arkansas-women-to-face-baylor-in-2020-sec-big-12-challenge/

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »

One interesting game will be Texas A&M at Texas with the history of the schools and the coaches.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/arkansas-women-to-face-baylor-in-2020-sec-big-12-challenge/

Indeed!

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 02:38:22 pm »

In the Big 12/SEC challenge, the quality of our opponent just took a HUGE step forward: we drew Baylor.

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2020/may/28/arkansas-host-baylor-women-big-12sec-challenge/

Though, of all years to get the Bears, next year is probably among the best. They are going to be great, as always, but they have to replace Lauren Cox, Te'a Cooper, and Juicy Landrum, all of whom were WNBA draftees.

That said, their roster is still loaded with talent, including some tough frontcourt talent in 6'2" PF NaLyssa Smith, 6'3" C Queen Egbo, and incoming Fr 6'5" Hannah Gusters, who is a top 20 recruit, per ESPN.

This will be a great test for us during the pre-season!

I agree that this is definitely the year to play them.  I'm excited for that game!

Hogtired10

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 03:35:19 pm »

I agree that this is definitely the year to play them.  I'm excited for that game!

Not sure when the non conference schedule comes out but this will put us in good standing if you can beat them. It should set us up nicely.

Hog in Iowa

• Varsity
  • Now coming to you live from McKinney, TX.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 05:01:47 pm »

I hope by that time the stands can be packed because I think this game is a big, big opportunity to get the Hogs firmly into the national conversations.  Fingers crossed!

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 05:19:44 pm »

Not sure when the non conference schedule comes out but this will put us in good standing if you can beat them. It should set us up nicely.

Oh for sure.  I think this will be a "our guards vs their post" type of situation.  They lose two stellar guards, and we're pretty stacked, but the reverse in post i feel like, so we'll see!

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 03:58:45 pm »

I have not seen this posted, but we are also in the Pre-season WNIT.  We could play Baylor in the championship game as we are on opposite brackets.  Mike also announced this yesterday.  We are on the same side of the bracket as Western Kentucky and North Carolina State.  We are going to have a tough non-conference.  I hope we can get ready.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 04:01:54 pm »

Mike also said that it was our turn to be left off of the Big 12 challenge, but at the meeting last fall to discuss - he complained and the SEC said okay but you have to play Baylor.  Mike said we will take it!  Nobody else wanted to play them.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 04:49:43 pm »

I have not seen this posted, but we are also in the Pre-season WNIT... We are on the same side of the bracket as Western Kentucky and North Carolina State.  We are going to have a tough non-conference.  I hope we can get ready.

I missed that! That's great - WKU is always a good CUSA team, and NC State is seriously good. I'm psyched about this!

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 12:34:56 pm »

Do we know when and where the PreSeason WNIT will be played?

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 01:12:15 pm »

Do we know when and where the PreSeason WNIT will be played?
No but I am sure that we will get some home games.  I believe the championship game has traditionally been played in New York but I do not know if that will hold true this year with the virus.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 01:21:34 pm »

I looked the schedule for Iowa State up who won it two years ago.  They played three games all on their home court to win it in early November.  So my  i guess that would hold.  Hopefully, we would be able to get two home games and if we had to play Baylor in the championship game - they would probably host based upon attendance numbers.

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 12:09:14 pm »

Hi all, apologies if this has already been discussed on another thread, but I haven't seen it.  I saw an update on CMN's twitter about in-state games and the future of those through 2022.  Please see below:

Mike Neighbors
@coachneighbors @DivaCoachUAPB @srushinguca @CoachFoleyLR @coachmattdaniel
and I have all connected and Women’s Basketball games between all in-state schools will be played.  We will continue series started last year with Little Rock and begin new series in ‘21-‘22 will all others! #ONEstate

This is a huge leap and further step from the inaugural series started with Little Rock last year.  Exciting stuff, and IMO long overdue!

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 10:50:10 am »

This is ANOTHER really good non-con game for us. Gonzaga is probably better known for its men's team, but their women's program has also been very strong regionally in recent years. And I like that it's at home. Based only on what we know already (Baylor, WNIT - which might mean two games against Baylor?, Cal, Gonzaga), our non-con schedule is already better - WAY BETTER - than it was last year.

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2020/jun/23/arkansas-women-host-gonzaga-december/

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 01:08:27 pm »

This is ANOTHER really good non-con game for us. Gonzaga is probably better known for its men's team, but their women's program has also been very strong regionally in recent years. And I like that it's at home. Based only on what we know already (Baylor, WNIT - which might mean two games against Baylor?, Cal, Gonzaga), our non-con schedule is already better - WAY BETTER - than it was last year.

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2020/jun/23/arkansas-women-host-gonzaga-december/

I'm still pretty salty about the Cal loss last year, so excited to get that rematch at BWA this season!  But yes, really exciting stuff and agree on a way better schedule, which will really help us out in the RPI/SOS.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 05:46:59 pm »

yes and i will even be stronger the following year as we will have to go to both Baylor and Gonzaga.

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 06:07:44 pm »

yes and i will even be stronger the following year as we will have to go to both Baylor and Gonzaga.

Oh, is Baylor a home & home?  I thought it was just a one year deal for SEC/Big 12 Challenge?

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 08:20:05 pm »

Gonzaga is home and home, for sure. Baylor is part of the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. I don’t know that there’s a plan for a return game in Waco, but that would be great!

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 01:44:05 pm »

My fault - yes Baylor is not a 1-1.  It is Big12-SEC challenge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas