• 10,243,720 Posts
• 416,838 Topics
• 24,904 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice article about Weaver  (Read 1258 times)

psycHOGlogist

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Nice article about Weaver
« on: June 26, 2020, 12:33:53 pm »

WholeHogSports has a great article up by Seth Campbell about Macy Weaver's path to basketball and Arkansas. Touches on how she and Mason bonded this past season while injured, and why Weaver spent part of the quarantine with Mason in Nashville. (Which I know will interest flippin, if no one else! ;) )

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2020/jun/26/length-leads-weaver-down-different-path/

flippinhogmana

• Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
Re: Nice article about Weaver
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 02:09:18 pm »

so since the link is a premium one and I have never signed up for that premium service, what exactly is the sense of what it says?  Does it mention whether her career is over?  Or does it mention any prognosis for degree of recovery? future plans?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

psycHOGlogist

• Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 04:22:02 pm »

so since the link is a premium one and I have never signed up for that premium service, what exactly is the sense of what it says?  Does it mention whether her career is over?  Or does it mention any prognosis for degree of recovery? future plans?

You ought to be able to access the article in an incognito window within your browser.  But the gist of the article is that Weaver was a very good softball player before she grew into her body size and her body coordination caught up. She could have played DI softball, but softball coaches backed off after her early commit to Wisconsin (and because they never thought a 6'3" kid would end up playing softball). Big power hitter.

Not too much specific info on recovery/rehab, just mentions the ACL tear that was followed by the broken foot on the opposite side, and the fact that she and Mason were on crutches/rolling scooters at the same time. They carpooled a lot and were quite a sight on and around campus with their matching scooters and crutches.

When the pandemic hit, Macy's 2006 jalopy wouldn't have made it all the way home to northern Illinois, so Jailyn invited her to come to Nashville. She spent about 1.5 months there with the Masons, then headed to Austin to be with other family. She hasn't seen her mom/dad/siblings since the winter.

CMN talks about what a fun, positive, good in the locker room kid she is. Sounds like she is healed from her injuries at present. She comes across as very direct, likable, and selfless. Thought it was a very good piece.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 04:48:26 pm »

thanks brother, thats pretty much been my read on her as well.  Good young athlete, and even better young woman.  She is someone who probably would have been better off at Wisky and would have went there had they not fired the coach just before she changed to the hogs.  She actually had multiple P5 offers, but Dykes assistant made an impression on her.  She, Mason and Spangler are the last three girls from the Dykes years. 

flippinhogmana

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:58:38 am »

took a while for this to show up in the free precincts.  Sometimes these articles do, sometimes they dont.  Here is this one (and it may not be the exact article Psych cites).  Thanks again Psych for bringing attention to it.  From Arkansas Online.

FAYETTEVILLE -- Stillman Valley, Ill., is a town of just more than 1,000 people, roughly two hours from downtown Chicago and a half-hour from the Wisconsin border.  it's the hometown of a big personality: Razorback basketball player Macy Weaver.

"I'm very outgoing," she said. "I just feel like I'm very friendly and easygoing and easy to talk to"

Weaver's journey from small-town Illinois to Northwest Arkansas is a small part of the senior's evolving story. She started playing competitive travel sports when she was 9 years old, but it wasn't on the hardwood.

"When she was younger, it seemed like softball was kind of natural to her," Weaver's high school assistant softball and basketball coach Bob Mellon said. "It was an easier thing for her to play."

Weaver possessed two things that made her an ideal softball talent: a strong arm and quick bat.  "She had probably one of the strongest arms that I've ever seen any softball player have, and I've coached a lot of girls," Mellon said.  He recalls a particular instance when Weaver showed off that arm strength. After chasing down a ball at the outfield fence, Weaver picked it up and fired it home on one bounce.  Her strong arm also worked against her, as she had a hard time keeping a throwing partner.

"Not many girls wanted to play catch with her because she threw so hard," Mellon said. "Her father told me as a freshman that she was going to be a lot better softball player than a basketball player, and at the time I said, 'Yeah, you're right.' "

Weaver began her softball career as a catcher, but by the time she was in high school her height had Mellon thinking she could play a different position.

"I'm not going to have a 6-foot catcher," he said. "In my mind, I was saying, 'All right, let's see if we can put her in the circle. A 6-foot girl and she's pitching. I mean, the sky's the limit.' "

Mellon's experiment didn't work out too well.  "We tried it, and if you ever ask her she'll start laughing," Mellon said. "She was just all over the place, scaring girls because she couldn't throw it straight."

With pitching and catching no longer options, the coaching staff at Stillman Valley High School decided to move Weaver as far away from the plate as possible. Coaches liked her speed, so she moved to the outfield.  Weaver wouldn't spend much time in the outfield before she was moved again. This time she transitioned to first base.

"When you think about her arm, you think, 'Wow, you're wasting it,' " Mellon said. "But a 6-3 girl that can almost do a split [along with] her stretching and her glove skills, it helped us out big time."

Her strong arm wasn't the only upside to Weaver's softball skills. In her own words, "I hit dingers."

According to Mellon, Weaver batted .428 and hit more than 40 home runs in her career. She also led the team in triples in two of her four years at the school.

"She had such a quick bat," Mellon said. "I've never seen somebody have such a quick bat."

About the time Weaver's sophomore year rolled around, she started to focus more on basketball.

"In seventh grade, I was very awkward," she said. "I mean, I'm still a little clumsy and stuff, but I [hadn't] grown into my body yet -- if that makes sense -- because I was just so tall."

After gaining coordination, Weaver began to put the time into becoming a great basketball player. She joined an AAU basketball team while still playing summer softball and practicing her other sport, volleyball.

"I was wearing myself down," Weaver said. "But I'm just trying to make myself better."

Weaver's better play on the basketball court started to become apparent to Mellon.

"There was a stretch of time in the beginning of her junior season [when] we were playing some really talented schools, and she's playing against some big-time posts," he said, "and not only was she holding her own, but she started to dominate on some things."

Not long after that Weaver started to get some high-level Division I looks. Weaver committed to Wisconsin over Arkansas and Missouri during her junior year, but that didn't stop her from continuing to play softball and volleyball.

"Some people say, 'Hey, don't play any other sport. Just play basketball. Don't play softball because you could hurt yourself,' " Mellon said. "Not her. She was just like, 'I'm playing because I love it.' "

"Everybody would always ask me, 'Macy, what's your favorite sport?' " she said. "I don't have a favorite sport. I don't really know. I enjoy everything."

When asked whether she could have gone on to play college softball, Weaver simply replied: "Yes."

Because of her early commitment, softball coaches didn't offer Weaver, but her coach agrees with her. She could have gone on to play at a high level.

"Could she have gone somewhere? Could she get D-I looks in softball? Yeah, I think she could have," Mellon said. "But I think coaches were looking at [her interest in basketball] and saying, 'OK, there's no way we're going to get her for [softball].' "

Later during Weaver's junior year, the same year she had committed to Wisconsin, Badgers Coach Bobbie Kelsey was fired.  Weaver reopened her recruitment and decided to play basketball at Arkansas.

"I actually have family that lives in Rogers," Weaver said. "So when I was being recruited, I just thought this was a great opportunity to be close to family, and I'm a business supply chain major. With [the university] having the Sam Walton College of Business, it was just a no-brainer."

Weaver played in 32 games as a freshman and sophomore, scoring 41 total points, before an injury ended her 2018-19 sophomore campaign early.  Weaver tore the ACL in her left leg in March 2019, but before she was fully recovered from that injury she broke her right foot in September.

"It was really hard because I wasn't even cleared from my ACL yet," she said.

Weaver missed all of last season, but she hopes to return to the court in 2020-21.

This is the second in a series detailing the other sports Arkansas athletes could have played collegiately.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:47:31 am by flippinhogmana »

flippinhogmana

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 02:25:38 am »

I've known that she was a three sport athlete at AAU level (volleyball, BB and Softball) for quite some time.  She lead the state in rebounding her senior year (if memory serves she was all-state as well).  She would likely have had an easier chance at a school with another style of play like in the Big Ten.  She is smart, a good athlete, and she works hard.  She is just better than some give her credit for, and I just wanted to see what her attitude is going into this year. 

I think she is interested (obviously) in an association with the Walton school of business, perhaps an advanced degree.  I think she is also interested in contributing to the overall success of the team, and I think there are those who think she still can.  It might be interesting.  I dont think she is just going to stand aside and let Destinee(s) and Erynn walk on in.  I think she is the sort of teammate who will support them every minute, and will be at the same time battling them. 

Like I have said earlier, she isn't as fast as Taylah, nor are her hands as good as Destinee's (Oberg), nor maybe even her feet.  But she is nearly as fast as Taylah, and she is faster than Oberg, and a better leaper.  A lot depends on how fully she recovers and what kind of shape she shows up in.  But another 6-3 girl who is already familiar with the system isn't a totally bad thing. 

We had (as it turned out) only two able posts last fall, and only one of them had game experience.  This year we may have five and four of them with game experience.  One of them (Barnum) has time at the four.  I dont care what some say (or have said), TT can play the 4 for a few minutes at a time too if it allows us to get another 6-3 girl in the game at a critical time.  Whether or not that happens remains to be seen of course.

Defensively how do TT, EB , MW and DO stack up?  TT had a lot of time, but I dont think she was as good a position defender as KW was the last two years.  TT was a good rebounder, especially defensive boards.  Kiara, Macy and Erynn were better offensive rebounders in their minutes.  those three were also the best shot blockers.  Macy and Erynn both got four blocks in a game as freshmen.  So a lineup with those two in at the same time give us a definite look that presents more challenge inside to the opposition that anything we have seen in quite some time.  There might only be a very few games where that lineup might be valuable, but against Kentucky (which will have more height this year), Tenner, Ms St and SC, there are times when it could provide an effective counter punch that we dont otherwise have.

The double post look in general, with Erynn in at the same time with either Macy or Destinee, would be interesting in short stretches.  the former would tend to be our best big defensive look, while the latter perhaps would give our best big offensive look.  For once with the two big Destinees, Macy, TT and Erynn (a total of 25 fouls), we could bang with about anyone and we wouldn't have to hang our smaller bodies out to dry so much.  Maybe it would allow CD to have a slightly different role as a result, a more bybrid three-four than before.  Its different.  Gives us more options than we have had betore.  I think for there games against the top schools in the conference as well as maybe what we might face against the Baylors and other top twenty teams later in the NCAA, it will give us a chance to go deeper than we would otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:20:36 am by flippinhogmana »

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 09:36:04 am »

I agree, I would love to see TT at the 4 in specific moments.  She can still be the rabbit in those cases offensively.  I also agree with post defense, KW was at a much higher level in this regard, and the added height and options should really help us to compete in those areas.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 09:07:33 am »

All I am going to say is who goes to the bench so that we can have two bigs on the floor at one time?  We have been thru this in the early years when we did not have a Dungee or a Ramirez or a Slocum.  I just do not see it - except maybe as an offensive/defensive move which really only happens in the last quarter or last 5 minutes in a game when stoppage occurs more frequently.

jackflash

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 09:43:30 am »

wonder if she could try softball if she can stay heathly

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:15:56 am »

wonder if she could try softball if she can stay heathly

I would assume she's a little too many years far removed at this point.  Plus the roster for Softball next season is going to already be larger than normal due the COVID related eligibility extension, and 7 seniors committing to come back for another year, plus the incoming freshmen.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 04:45:08 am »

All I am going to say is who goes to the bench so that we can have two bigs on the floor at one time?  We have been thru this in the early years when we did not have a Dungee or a Ramirez or a Slocum.  I just do not see it - except maybe as an offensive/defensive move which really only happens in the last quarter or last 5 minutes in a game when stoppage occurs more frequently.

We have been through the discuss since then when we did have a dungee and a tolefree, and a mason.  It is written somewhere that iron sharpeneth iron.  LBBF, I think sometimes that applies to us.  We lift up a diamond, look at it and describe its facets...the other one says, "yeah, maybe, but I also see" and describes something else just as valid about the diamond.  We talk about the same diamond, are we disagreeing, for the most part, I dont think so.  With that in mind I wanted to wait until I had thought a while and perhaps studied a bit more film against teams with height before I addressed how and when we might use the double post as more than just a change of pace or an experiment.

If we generally conclude that in most instances our four guard lineup is superior to most teams and most lineups we will face, then we will want to see
(1) Dungee (who will have a better year than her junior year, as good as her sophomore year, maybe, maybe not but good, ist team SEC definitely, if not all american) 25 minutes or so a game. 
2) we will want to see Slocum at point 25 minutes a game
3) Mason 25 minutes a game and she is likely to have her best year of the four
4) Ramirez who will also likely do even better than last year, likely breaking her own 3pt record
5) Taylah Thomas, but likely only 20 minutes per game so she can give maximum effort  all the time

6) Erynn Barnum 15-20 minutes a game....LBBF you have always been an advocate for Erynn, and I think you are justified in that...I think she needs a little more than just banging to get her completely motivated.  She was recruited and signed at New Mexico originally as a wing, she shoots the three over 40 per cent, some of her time needs to be at the four, some maybe at the five to rest Taylah, but also if she (TT) gets in foul trouble. 
7) because I say seven for Makayla doesnt mean she is behind Erynn, I think they comes in at the same time generally, and I think she plays about what she played last year about twenty minutes a game (she averaged 22 last year while splitting time with AT).

That uses up 155-160 minutes per game of the 200, 40-45 left.  8) Elauna Eaton will utilize up to 20 as well.  She can play at the 2, 3 or 4 position at her height, length and being left handed
9) that leaves 15-20 minutes of which can be spread between oberg (5-7 minutes), Davis (5-7 minutes), Langerman (5-7 minutes) to start.  with matchups appropriately, you can give McGhee, Weaver, Reece minutes of the rest and see how they fair. 

thats a start.  I also dont think we have to play the normal four guard lineup against taller teams for this reason:  I looked back and saw a time or two when dungee played the point in both of the last two years (while mason or AT was playing wing).  She can do that again with say Eaton at two, Davis at three, Barnum at four and either Oberg or Weaver at the five for a 3-4 minutes stretch at the end of a quarter say.  that would give us a 5-11, 6-1, 6-0, 6-2, 6-3 lineup against say a Tenner (who averages about 6-2), or SC who average about the same, especially this year and Ms State is about as  big.  the AGs will be just as big this year and Kentuck will be bigger than they were last year.  Every now and then hitting them with at least a change of pace to rest Chelsea and Taylah if no one else might be more useful than before.  If we are losing points at the time, trying a different lineup could negate that.  If it works well we can keep it into the post season.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:01:02 pm by flippinhogmana »

logic

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 08:01:50 pm »

What you say about who starts and the amount of playing time makes sense to me.  Of course, usually, there is a surprise when a new player plays better than expected.  I do think this our best year; maybe ever.   I suppose Baylor will be the first real test of just how good the team will be.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 09:17:37 pm »

Well, I said thats a start for a reason.  Sometimes, especially when you are a less seasoned player on any given night and against any given team, especially when your parents are in, you might light it up more than you are going to on average, even if you are a good player.  A case in point is MD.  She is (and was last year) a marvelous freshman player.  You dont get to be a starter on an upper class dominated team without being.  But she light up the scoreboard for 27 against ORU when her mom and dad were in town.  A few nights later on the west coast she had five turnovers against Cal with a lot less playing time and probably got to feel a little lonely (but eventually wiser) without nearly as much fanware. 

I love (contrary to the opinions of some) fresh faced and enthusiastic freshmen.  We are actually going to employ more this year and the next than we have for the last few years even though we are a senior dominated team.  We need them for depth, but Upper classwomen have just worked out how not to have as many highs and lows.  Thats not to say that even they can have a night of nights when they are hotter than a three alarm fire.  In that Elauna will have to find a chemistry with her teammates, and she will be called on for a little different role at each of the 2,3 and 4 positions.  In some situation Barnum might be the better dragon to back up Dungee and in others Eaton might do better, matchups with have some effect on that.

The more time on the court and the more they develop team chemistry the more we will see how the team plays together.  Last year Doumbia was better defensively than Dungee, but the team also played better, even defensively when Chelse was in.  Its just a chemistry thing, Chelsea made her teammates feel more secure somehow even do Ro was the more dynamic player and had a number spectacular plays last year.

I hope that Eaton somehow motivates Davis, both of them are plus athletes, maybe Barnum can be that too (part of that motivation), maybe the cerebral Rylee will bring out something in her fellow rookies, they do have a good team together, even though the next four coming in with Jersey will be even stronger.  Chemistry is a curious and powerful thing, and you cant always predict its effect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas