• 10,921,853 Posts
• 424,832 Topics
• 24,851 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: film --- EDDIE  (Read 1976 times)

razCzar

film --- EDDIE
« on: June 23, 2020, 05:33:37 pm »

... The Costs of Greatness
June 22  Christopher Hunt, the director announced a deal with ESPN that will guarantee multiple airings on ESPN and ESPN2 in July, August and September.  The ESPN viewings will serve as its premier.  Said Hunt:  Sutton was a pioneer, using media to promote the game.  If you go back to the mid-'70s and his Arkansas team, the Southwest Conference was a football conference. Their basketball in the Southwest Conference at the time was not.  Eddie changed that with some style, with some swag, and he rolled out some great teams.  It really made basketball fun.  He created a pep band at Arkansas.  He created this environment inside Barnhill Arena that straight-up rocked and became the thing to do.  Eddie became a very relatable media figure.

To date watchESPN has no listings for the film / I'll post'em when they show

https://twitter.com/eddiesuttonfilm?lang=en
https://www.eddiesuttonfilm.com/

razCzar

Re: film --- EDDIE
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 02:30:04 pm »

"Eddie" premieres on ESPN this Monday night, June 29 at 8pmCT.
So far, this is a one-shot deal, with no follow-up showings listed through mid-July.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:21:46 am by razCzar »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razCzar

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 03:15:22 pm »

on ESPN tonight at 8

FineAsSwine

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 04:11:37 pm »

Should be very entertaining. Canít wait to see it.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »

I would love to see a film on the Nolan phenomenon. That would be great theater watching the man in suits and boots booming at the refs from the sidelines.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The beaches are open!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 06:43:05 pm »

Looking forward to Eddie. He was the Hogs coach during my entire school yearsófrom junior high all the way through college. All those games in Barnhill were treasured.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 06:56:29 pm »

I wish we still played in Barnhill . Nobody wanted to play the hogs there . That place rocked like no other ,

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 09:11:17 pm »

So far the film has been very good.

hogbud

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 09:31:11 pm »

I wish we still played in Barnhill . Nobody wanted to play the hogs there . That place rocked like no other ,

Early years at the Bud not too shabby
Against SEC

hogbud

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 09:33:04 pm »

I would love to see a film on the Nolan phenomenon. That would be great theater watching the man in suits and boots booming at the refs from the sidelines.

It was called 40 Minutes of Hell on SEC network

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 10:34:37 pm »

So far the film has been very good.

I loved it. Of course in my opinion I thought they shouldíve spent more time on his Arkansas days rather than Kentucky but Iím an Arkansas fanatic that hates Kentucky.

UnknownNobody

• My dog barks some...
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 11:08:47 pm »

It was called 40 Minutes of Hell on SEC network

And it was a great documentary on Nolan.

Now to this Eddie doc...I teared up several times during it and thought it was a really fair portrayal of the man.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The beaches are open!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 01:00:56 am »

Wow, really well done, but a rough journey.

The pace was a little quick during the stretches of basketball game highlights, some of it was past you before you knew it (not just talking about our segments). They covered us well, but I'd like to have seen a little more of of our rise to power. Having said that, this whole thing had a LOT in it. The editing job had to be a massive challenge, getting that down to 90+ minutes of actual running time.

He had so much success, but something was always amiss. With us, the tension with Frank and the less-than-stellar last season. (And interesting what he said about leaving Arkansas.) At Kentucky, what Chapman said about his second season (wow), then all the booster payoff business. At Okie State, the plane crash and the final car wreck. Did that alone get him fired, or was he on the way out?

I wouldn't call this a tragic story, but sure wish he'd have gotten that Hall of Fame call about 4 or 5 years earlier.

redeye

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 06:59:31 am »

I loved it. Of course in my opinion I thought they shouldíve spent more time on his Arkansas days rather than Kentucky but Iím an Arkansas fanatic that hates Kentucky.

I thought the same thing. It was a great biopic, but his time at Arkansas deserved more than the 20 minutes it received.

RacinRazorback

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 07:11:11 am »

A great doc on his life. What a great coach, dad, and all around individual he was. It makes me even more aware of what addiction can do to you. Would love to see a doc on his days at AR only. Hard telling where our program would be without him. Nolan picked up and took us to the absolute top and I honestly believe CEM will take us back there! WPS!!! Love me some razorbacks!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 09:00:25 am »

Well, I missed all but the last five minutes.   :(

RIP, Eddie.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 10:03:08 am »

I thought the same thing. It was a great biopic, but his time at Arkansas deserved more than the 20 minutes it received.

Yea  they just glossed over the 1978 final four run. It included a win over UCLA for crying out loud!
Also a bit disappointing they didnít cover the classic game against Indiana state with Larry the following year in the final eight.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 12:06:28 pm »

Well done film.

The director's choice to feature the personal side more is what really makes the film. It's trying to make a human interest story, which has a broader audience and a more emotional and memorable appeal. Smart move by him (with blessings from the family, of course). Although Eddie himself had little interest in talking about it. The lady interviewer asked him 'So after your first season at Kentucky, this is where you first went through a stint of rehab. Can you talk about that? Eddie says 'Not really'.

Also, a film that is more like a documentary (he was born here, he coached here, then he coached there, etc etc) would be pretty boring. People can look that stuff up on the internet. That doesn't make a good film, though.

I also think the Covid shutdown has made films like this more appealing. We saw the Last Dance film get moved up for premiere due to the virus taking all other sports off the air, and I'm sure ESPN suddenly had more interest in this film for the same reasons.

It was nice taking a trip down memory lane with those old 70s and 80s Hog teams.

Also, remember the filmmaker does have a little bit of an Arkansas bias, so I wouldn't complain too much. He made sure to emphasize that line 'If I could do it all over again, I would have never left Arkansas'.

Also loved the hot tub scene with Eddie and Paul Eels, that is hilarious. 'Last guy out of the tub has to guard Olajuwon Thursday night'. KATV loves to dig that clip out and show it from time to time. Usually on the anniversary of Paul Eels' death or something. It's like their go-to Paul Eels clip.

redeye

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 04:26:16 pm »

Also, remember the filmmaker does have a little bit of an Arkansas bias, so I wouldn't complain too much. He made sure to emphasize that line 'If I could do it all over again, I would have never left Arkansas'.

When they interviewed the filmmakers on KARK, one wore an OSU hat and admitted that he grew up watching Sutton coach OSU. Both of them wore shirts that were Kentucky blue. Coincidence?

In fairness, they may not have been old enough to remember Sutton at Arkansas, which would make it more difficult telling about his time here.

Hogball

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 08:32:34 am »

Did Frank and Eddie ever make peace between themselves?

Smithian

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 09:37:34 am »

Eddie Sutton sat with Frank Broyles at the last ever game at Barnhill Arena. I never knew about that until his death, and whatever small bit of animosity I had for Sutton drained away upon learning that while he was coaching at Oklahoma State he took time to come to the closing of Barnhill.

I hate so many people argue Sutton vs. Richardson instead of simply being happy we had two historic coaches back-to-back.

Smithian

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 09:41:18 am »

I wouldn't call this a tragic story, but sure wish he'd have gotten that Hall of Fame call about 4 or 5 years earlier.
I fully admit I didn't care for Eddie Sutton then sometime about a decade ago I was looking at his resume start to finish and had a lightbulb moment where I realized this guy was an amazing coach and we spent way too many years understandably bitter about the ending instead of being thankful for him building a basketball backwater into a power.

Like me, I think a lot of people came around a few years too late on him.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 09:50:55 am »

I fully admit I didn't care for Eddie Sutton then sometime about a decade ago I was looking at his resume start to finish and had a lightbulb moment where I realized this guy was an amazing coach and we spent way too many years understandably bitter about the ending instead of being thankful for him building a basketball backwater into a power.

A look at his resume should reveal that yes, he should have been voted in years before he was.
I've always felt Kentucky was blackballing him in some way.
Otherwise, I have no logical explanation for why he couldn't get in earlier. 800 wins? Four different schools to the NCAAs? Three Final 4s?

And I intend to find a Kentucky message board soon and read some of their comments on this film. I doubt they like it. That's the darkest moment of their recent basketball history. But, the way I see it, the more things change, the more they remain the same. If boosters are trying to help recruit then, think it's any different now? The methods just change.

tusked

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 11:13:17 am »

Eddie had substantial personal demons that will lead to a bumpy ride.

Tejano Jawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The beaches are open!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 11:30:19 am »

It took time for me to come around. (To be clear, his Kentucky move did not diminish my memory of all his Arkansas teams I saw and cheered for.) But when he went to KY, I was done with him. I kinda got interested in his OSU years. Like how time helped heal the Nolan wound, I'm glad Sutton and Arkansas seemed to reconnect in the last couple decades.

I looked at his entire coaching record a few days ago. His winning percentage was astounding. Not counting San Fran, he only had a couple losing seasonsóboth his last seasons at KY and OSU. The film even made me appreciate his time at Kentucky, big highs and big lows. And I agree that Sutton probably took more of the blame for Kentucky's "dirtiness" than he should have. The film's biggest achievement is putting Sutton, his personal and professional life, into perspective.

warriorlion

• Varsity
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »

As a 50-something year old-I was pissed the way he left Arkansas and stayed pissed for years.  I somehow got over it when he was at OKST but the film made me appreciate him a little more than maybe I did.  I know as a coach he gave us a chance to win every game we played-much like Muss is doing.
Something that really impressed me was how he handled getting pushed out at Kentucky-he stood in front of the press and then even had his last t.v. show with the host.  I look back at how one of our recent football coaches left and it sure shows what a class act Eddie was, and shows what a classless act our former coach was.

MJ2

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 01:23:25 pm »

When will ESPN air it again?    I saw the last half or so.

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • If she ain't foreign she borin'
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 01:37:20 pm »

When will ESPN air it again?    I saw the last half or so.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=d8f9a925-5d63-4192-870f-a85eb1aaa9f4

Watch ESPN has it on demand.

ocsm158

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 01:41:46 pm »

Pretty darned emotional. I'm freaking old so I loved Eddie Sutton. Other than the NC game against Duke, the UNC game in Pine Bluff is the second greatest game I have seen the Hogs play.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 03:01:51 pm »

Pretty darned emotional. I'm freaking old so I loved Eddie Sutton. Other than the NC game against Duke, the UNC game in Pine Bluff is the second greatest game I have seen the Hogs play.
You would be hard-pressed to come up with two greater games in Hog history than those two, for sure.

For #3, I would have to nominate the 120-68 beatdown of Missouri.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 03:34:57 pm »

A look at his resume should reveal that yes, he should have been voted in years before he was.
I've always felt Kentucky was blackballing him in some way.
Otherwise, I have no logical explanation for why he couldn't get in earlier. 800 wins? Four different schools to the NCAAs? Three Final 4s?

And I intend to find a Kentucky message board soon and read some of their comments on this film. I doubt they like it. That's the darkest moment of their recent basketball history. But, the way I see it, the more things change, the more they remain the same. If boosters are trying to help recruit then, think it's any different now? The methods just change.
The KY message board wasn't as bad as I thought.
Most comments were neutral, and there was even this one:

"Iíve always thought Eddie was put in the scapegoat position at UK. We were a dirty program when he got here, thanks to Cliff Hagan, Joe Hall, and the rest of that good ol boys network. Eddie just happened to be here when the NCAA decided to take us down."

Boog41

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 03:37:25 pm »

You would be hard-pressed to come up with two greater games in Hog history than those two, for sure.

For #3, I would have to nominate the 120-68 beatdown of Missouri.

84 win over phi slama jamma

hogwildinhouston

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 04:22:55 pm »

Someone else closer can correct me, but I think most of the animosity between JFB and Eddie centered around Eddie's drinking problems.   JFB wanted him to get help, but he refused.   I'm sure later in life Eddie realized JFB was right all along. 

Some of the clips from the Kentucky parts of the film show just how bad it was.   The press conference where he hugged Rex Chapman was painful to watch.  Eddie was clearly so hammered he could barely speak.

One of the best and most honest sports docs I've ever seen.   The honesty the Sutton family showed during it was so impressive.   

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of Ď85
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 05:25:29 pm »

I would also add in our win against UCLA in the semi-finals of the West Regional in 1978.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of Ď85
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 05:40:52 pm »

I was a student on the Hill for Eddieís last four seasons. I hated it when he resigned, but I never took offense at his Kentucky comment. I figured there had to be much more underneath the surface that I didnít know about to cause him to say that.

No doubt the man had a disease. I can relate to what his children - especially Sean - went through, because my father and one of my sisters had the same disease. Didnít make either of them bad people, although sometimes they did bad things.

Eddie was a great coach, and he had an outstanding run at Arkansas. Thatís enough for me.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 06:59:01 pm »

I'm sure they've had a "come to Jesus" meeting by now...

MDW

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 07:07:53 pm »

I would also add in our win against UCLA in the semi-finals of the West Regional in 1978.

That win seems to be almost forgotten when people talk about Sutton's years here.  There were plenty of big wins, to be sure, but eliminating UCLA from the tournament in 1978 was huge.  That was just three years removed from John Wooden's legendary run of 10 national championships in 11 seasons, so it was still a big deal any time UCLA lost in the tournament. Obviously, it was part of our road to the Final Four that year, which firmly established the Hog basketball program at the time.

McKdaddy

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 08:03:31 pm »

I was a student on the Hill for Eddieís last four seasons. I hated it when he resigned, but I never took offense at his Kentucky comment. I figured there had to be much more underneath the surface that I didnít know about to cause him to say that.

No doubt the man had a disease. I can relate to what his children - especially Sean - went through, because my father and one of my sisters had the same disease. Didnít make either of them bad people, although sometimes they did bad things.

Eddie was a great coach, and he had an outstanding run at Arkansas. Thatís enough for me.

Agreed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas