• 10,921,843 Posts
• 424,832 Topics
• 24,851 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hill: ‘Either change the flag or I won’t be representing this State anymore'  (Read 648 times)

jbcarol

Kylin Hill✔@H_Kylin
Either change the flag or I won’t be representing this State anymore 💯 & I meant that .. I’m tired https://twitter.com/tatereeves/status/1275091818787622918

Hill's tweet was a retweet of Mississippi governor Tate Reeves' explanation of why creating another flag in addition to the current one would not be appropriate. Reeves said having two state flags would only further divide the people of the state, which is opposite of the common goal people are trying to reach by changing the flag in the first place.

Reeves said he has been "thinking and praying hard"

TeufelHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Never Forget, Never Yield!

All of these universities will “cave” to every student athlete demand . . . justified or unjustified.  Want to know why?  They are almost all run by liberal white male/female presidents and athletic directors . . . all of whom are petrified of being labeled a racist.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...

All of these universities will “cave” to every student athlete demand . . . justified or unjustified.  Want to know why?  They are almost all run by liberal white male/female presidents and athletic directors . . . all of whom are petrified of being labeled a racist.

Well this isn't a University decision but a state government one. Getting his demands met may meet some resistance there. We may get to see if he actually will back up what he says.   

SugarHillGaHog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

The extra star put on Arkansas flag added nothing of value.

widespreadsooie

• Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather

The SECG must line Sankey's pockets to his satisfaction.

ImHogginIt

Well if Ark removes the star what will the woke crowd go after next ? Six Flags ? One of those 6 represents the confederacy. Are we gonna make them change the name to Five Flags ? Geesh enough already. I'm sick of it and I'm a democrat.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...

I guess we could pretend history never happened. Rinse and repeat.

jbcarol

Tyler Horka@tbhorka
·
17h
Mississippi State football coach Mike Leach has told the Clarion Ledger he supports Kylin Hill's right to speak up about Mississippi's state flag.

Leach's full quote on Hill and more context on Hill's comments today are in our story from earlier:

State RB Kylin Hill says he won't represent 'this State anymore' if flag not changed
The Confederate emblem on Mississippi's state flag has been a hot topic. A prominent Mississippi State football player wants the flag to change
5:40 PM · Jun 22, 2020

State head coach Mike Leach told the Clarion Ledger he supports his starting running back in speaking out.

"The biggest thing is that Kylin is entitled to his opinion just like everybody is," Leach said. "If Kylin chooses to express his opinion, I think he should if he wants to. I think he definitely should because all opinions on all issues should be heard.

"I think that's where we run into trouble in particular – the dialogue isn't quite what it should be. Not everybody is listening to one another, and I think we have to get to that point. I applaud Kylin's right to express his opinion really on any subject."

Hill's tweet was a retweet of Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves' explanation of why creating another flag in addition to the current one would not be appropriate. Reeves said having two state flags would only further divide the people of the state, which is opposite of the common goal people are trying to reach by changing the flag in the first place.

Hill said he was born in Mississippi and knows too well what that symbol stands for.

TrueBlue

He just now figured out what the flag looked like?

He has lived there his whole life. He had plenty of opportunities to leave.

Everyone is looking for reasons to be oppressed.

How about getting pissed about the killings in Chicago every weekend? Where is the outrage on that? Innocent kids were killed this weekend alone, not an ex-con, but innocent kids. I know, it doesn’t fit the narrative.

jbcarol

SEC Football News@SECfootball
·
1h
Paul Finebaum encourages Kylin Hill to back up threat to sit out until Mississippi changes state flag

Finebaum is calling for Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin to follow Hill's lead.
2:02 PM · Jun 23, 2020

“Last Thursday night, the commissioner of the Southeastern Conference, Greg Sankey, said we’re not taking anything else to Mississippi – any other championships to Mississippi – until that flag comes down. The next day, the NCAA said the same thing, we’re not taking NCAA championships. And the statements by both were supported by the president and athletic director in both Mississippi State and Ole Miss. So what Kylin Hill is doing here, to me, is in concert with what everyone else has already said, except he was responding to the governor of the state of Mississippi, Tate Reeves, who some had considered progressive until this moment when he tried to lollygag around the issue, saying we could have a second flag or we could have this, that’s not going to work.

“So in the end, I think what what what Hill has done here is heroic, and I encouraged him to back it up. Don’t just put out a tweet and say you’re not going to play when they don’t take the flag down and you show up for practice. Don’t play. Because that’s the only way to get this stupid flag down.

“I really hope that the coach at Mississippi State, Mike Leach, who so far has issued a rather tepid statement in support of this player, gets behind this. And I hope Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss will get his players behind it, because without, that flag is still going to fly.

“I’m a native southerner, and you know, it pains me as someone who grew up in the South, with New York parents I might add, that we’re still going through this… I hope people like Dak Prescott, who went to that university, other players who have been to both Ole Miss and Mississippi State, but especially the current players, those are the key players. Those are the players that need to stand behind this.

“This is an outstanding player, by the way, he’s one of the best running backs in the SEC. But I also want to see his coach get behind him, not lip service. Get behind your player.”

--Paul Finebaum First Take

Comments have been disabled on this post.

jbcarol

·
Kylin Hill’s push for change has the support of his team, fans, Ice Cube and especially Sylvester Croom

Groundbreaking SEC coach Sylvester Croom told SDS he thinks change is coming, thanks to actions like those from Hill.

“I think this is a move in the right direction, not only for the conference but for the state of Mississippi. I think a lot of people will embrace it,” Croom told SDS. “You’ll have some that don’t, but I think a lot people are going to embrace it and change will be made.”

SeldomHere

• | I like this Swede |

Ultimatums....

jbcarol

·
31m
Kylin Hill appreciates seeing leadership of Mississippi State’s athletic programs meeting with lawmakers in state capital

50 college head coaches and administrators from the state of Mississippi have descended on the state capital of Jackson to meet with lawmakers in the hopes of getting the state to change the flag.

After seeing several representatives from Mississippi State, including AD John Cohen and Mike Leach, show up in Jackson, the Bulldog running back offered up his reaction:

This Put smile on my face

jbcarol

Adam Ganucheau
@GanucheauAdam
·
1h
Breaking: It’s happening.

House committee has passed resolution to remove the Mississippi state flag. House floor debate happening now. It’s expected to pass.

The latest: https://mississippitoday.org/2020/06/27/house-begins-process-to-remove-the-mississippi-state-flag-create-commission-to-develop-new-design #msleg

House begins process to remove state flag, create commission to develop new design

The move on Saturday marks the first successful legislative action to change the flag since it was adopted by lawmakers in 1894.

mississippitoday.org
2:17 PM · Jun 27, 2020·

House Rules committee passed a resolution on Saturday afternoon that would suspend the chamber’s rules so that lawmakers can consider a bill that would change or remove the flag. Immediately afterwards, it went to the floor for a vote and passed 85-35.

“The eyes of the state, the nation and indeed the world are on us and what we do today,” said House Speaker Pro Tem Jason White, R-West, who presented the resolution to the floor. “Whether we like it or not the Confederate emblem on our state flag is viewed by many as a symbol of hate. There is no getting around that fact.”

The design “would not include the Confederate battle flag but shall include the words “In God We Trust.”” Should voters reject that design, the commission would present a new option during the 2021 legislative session, according to the resolution.

“We cannot carry the banner for freedom in one hand and the banner of hate in another,” White said. “It does not work that way.”

Only one lawmaker — Rep. Jeffrey Guice, R-Ocean Springs — attempted to add an amendment to the resolution to take the issue to the ballot for a statewide referendum rather than the Legislature taking action to remove the flag.

“If people don’t get a chance to vote on this we will see referendum after referendum after referendum,” Guice said.

The amendment failed on a loud voice vote...

If both the House and Senate approve the suspension resolution, lawmakers can take up an actual bill that would remove or replace the state flag. Those considerations would require just a simple majority in both chambers to pass (62 of 122 House members, 27 of 52 Senate members).

jbcarol

·
24m
Kylin Hill draws praise for helping spur change in Mississippi’s state flag; sends tweet regarding decision

Big news from the state of Mississippi.

BREAKING NEWS: The Mississippi House has just voted to remove the Confederate emblem from their state flag. #RolandMartinUnfiltered

Kylin Hill@H_Kylin
If you From Mississippi you felt this one ❤️ 🤞🏾
6:28 PM · Jun 27, 2020

SugarHillGaHog

My brother who lives in Mississippi is wanting the Bonnie Blue Flag.  Used back when it for the Republic of West Florida for a bit.  I still think someone won't like even that even though it was around 1810.  I like it well enough.  Blue with a white star.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy

sad when Kids are telling a state what to do . Does changes need made ? some yes but in this case and Gundy's The inmates are running the Prison . we have to stop the Kids from running the Universities . Or turn it over to them. And it is time the Universities Stood Up to the SEC and NCAA . and take back power from them

SugarHillGaHog

I'm old but not set in my ways.  There comes a time you let the kid's have their turn to drive.  I grew up with Buffalo Springield on the radio.  I still go dig up "For What It's Worth" from time to time. I doubt my parents or grandparents liked it much. They respected it was my turn to start taking responsiblity and change things where I felt best.  We shouldn't be going through this stuff again 50+ years later.

JB delete this if too political.  I'm more going on evolution than revolution.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

My brother who lives in Mississippi is wanting the Bonnie Blue Flag.  Used back when it for the Republic of West Florida for a bit.  I still think someone won't like even that even though it was around 1810.  I like it well enough.  Blue with a white star.

I kind of like the Magnolia flag or something like that.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

sad when Kids are telling a state what to do . Does changes need made ? some yes but in this case and Gundy's The inmates are running the Prison . we have to stop the Kids from running the Universities . Or turn it over to them. And it is time the Universities Stood Up to the SEC and NCAA . and take back power from them

There are some issues that go above and beyond the normal premises of societal norms as long as they aren't violent. Sometimes it's very important for the older folks to really listen to younger folks and authorities to really listen to those that report to them, work for them, etc.

NWA Hog

• Administrator
  • Class of ‘85

This has been a long time coming, 25 years or more. I first remember the dialogue about the time Jalen Rose saw his basketball number hanging in an Ann Arbor bookstore and said, “Someone is getting paid...and it ain’t us.”

So this system has been constructed where coaches are making millions of dollars per year, schools are raking in millions of dollars in conference and television money, and players are entertaining fans who don’t much look like them or come from their socioeconomic background.

Finally, in 2020, players looked around and figured out that they are the talent in this equation and have more influence, especially collectively, than they ever thought.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:24:40 pm by NWA Hog »

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum credits Kylin Hill, calls Mississippi’s decision to change state flag ‘one of the...
Finebaum surprised how quickly things got done in Mississippi.
saturdaydownsouth.com

Not even restrictions from the SEC, the NCAA and C-USA were able to move the needle much inside the state of Mississippi but after Hill threatened to never represent Mississippi State again if the flag wasn’t changed, many are praising the SEC’s leading returning rusher for getting state leaders to finally move on from the Confederate flag.

“I think this was one of the most significant moments in the history of not only Mississippi, but in relation to the South and intercollegiate athletics. This was a landmark moment, and hopefully the last time we say this was a landmark moment.

“But just days before, talking to people in that state with deep ties to the political past, they were saying this was not going to happen. And it did happen and it happened in a matter of days, and it was significant, and I think it will resonate for many many years and Kylin Hill deserves all the credit. All the credit, he deserves.”

Paul Finebaum ‘Outside the Lines’

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy

that is an issue that should have been voted on.

SugarHillGaHog

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas