• 10,958,081 Posts
• 425,803 Topics
• 24,875 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Study suggests that immunity could be short lived, especially in asymptomatic ca  (Read 916 times)

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6

Hopefully somebody with a better background than me can dig through the article better than I can.

There's a lot to unpack there but some takeaways from the abstract were that symptomatic people are potentially contagious for a shorter time. Asymptomatic have a weaker immune response and have fewer antibodies.  Those antibodies degrade somewhat quickly so immunity could be gone in 2-3 months.

Important to note that this doesn't guarantee immunity would be short lived and this is just a piece of evidence and bot a final verdict. However, there has been lots of questioning about immunity and this isn't a lone piece of evidence. 

If true, I wonder what implications this might have on vaccines moving forward.  Would antibodies from the vaccine be similarly short lived?

widespreadsooie

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6

Hopefully somebody with a better background than me can dig through the article better than I can.

Shoot your shot, that's what everyone else is doing.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net

Most info Iíve seen on the vaccines would be an annual one, like the ones for influenza. As to the antibodies, and how long, no one knows that yet. It would make sense that if you never got sick, that you wouldnít have as many antibodies. Then again, you may have a built in immune system/DNA/something that doesnít allow it to work in you. Thereís some of that in the why it kills some, leaves others alone article.

PearlHarbor

• Hogvillian

Most info Iíve seen on the vaccines would be an annual one, like the ones for influenza. As to the antibodies, and how long, no one knows that yet. It would make sense that if you never got sick, that you wouldnít have as many antibodies. Then again, you may have a built in immune system/DNA/something that doesnít allow it to work in you. Thereís some of that in the why it kills some, leaves others alone article.

There have been studies reported that conclude blood type may denote severity of the virus. Type O is something like 35% less likely to have severe symptoms. Type A has the most chance of the virus being severe.

If this proves to be true, it might explain why there are no, or fewer, antibodies in those who have recovered.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net

There have been studies reported that conclude blood type may denote severity of the virus. Type O is something like 35% less likely to have severe symptoms. Type A has the most chance of the virus being severe.

If this proves to be true, it might explain why there are no, or fewer, antibodies in those who have recovered.

Yeah, like most of these studies, I donít think they know anything is 100% sure, lol.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o Derp
    • It's a Jeep thing...

just a quick primer on the difference between blood types

"Whether your blood type is A, B, AB or O depends on whether you have, or donít have, certain antigens (named A and B) on your red cells.

The presence or absence of A or B antigens gives us four main blood types:

A type blood has only A antigens on red blood cells
B type blood has only B antigens on red blood cells
AB has both A and B antigens on red blood cells
O has neither A nor B antigens on red blood cells.'

https://www.science.org.au/curious/people-medicine/understanding-different-blood-types

so it seems that blood type could be a factor in how the immune system responds.

Dumb ole famrboy

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.

I am not hearing reports of a large number of people being reinfected. Until such reports start surfacing, I believe immunity will remain viral long enough to protect someone until a vaccine is developed.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o Derp
    • It's a Jeep thing...

I am not hearing reports of a large number of people being reinfected. Until such reports start surfacing, I believe immunity will remain viral long enough to protect someone until a vaccine is developed.
sure, but keep in mind that it hasn't been around long enough to know. 

but yes, hopefully a vaccine will be available sooner than later.  and hopefully people will actually get it.

Rayzback

So Vampires are AB?

SeldomHere

• | LZH likes this Swede |

So Vampires are AB?

Only the dead ones....

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!

Native Americans are almost always type O.  The outbreak on that reservation in NW New Mexico/NE Arizona kinda makes me wonder if type O is more resistant to this thing or not.

panhandlepig

• don't worry about a thing

Native Americans are almost always type O.  The outbreak on that reservation in NW New Mexico/NE Arizona kinda makes me wonder if type O is more resistant to this thing or not.

Im type O positive.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!

Im type O positive.
I don't remember.   :-[

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o Derp
    • It's a Jeep thing...

"more resistant" is probably relative, and at this point, highly theoretical.

Rayzback

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest

bplease

Not only that, asymptomatic cases are also showing the "same"/similar lung issues for up to 2 months. It still surprises me everyday how far we still have ahead of us.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian

It would extremely weird for those reports to exist yet. Not until early fall would we likely see any indication of that in this country.

Why? Pretty simple. Article states that immunity can fade in as little as two to three months, especially with people who were asymptomatic. 

Okay, where were we 3 months ago? California had barely shut down. NY was just at the early early stage of it's bad time. Tests were extremely limited. Even with mild symptoms,  you couldn't even get a test and were told to stay home. So, people could be getting reinfected now who were asymptomatic before and we'd have no way to tell. Even two months ago tests were still covered resources that you had to show symptoms for. So, fewer people had it at all and hardly any asymptomatic people were tested to know now if they had been reinfected. 

It has basically only been in the past month that anybody could get tested. Hence, two to three months from now (or about a month ago) is the earliest that we'd really get to see any reinfections.

Dumb ole famrboy

• Your site for Razorback news.

It would extremely weird for those reports to exist yet. Not until early fall would we likely see any indication of that in this country.

Why? Pretty simple. Article states that immunity can fade in as little as two to three months, especially with people who were asymptomatic. 

Okay, where were we 3 months ago? California had barely shut down. NY was just at the early early stage of it's bad time. Tests were extremely limited. Even with mild symptoms,  you couldn't even get a test and were told to stay home. So, people could be getting reinfected now who were asymptomatic before and we'd have no way to tell. Even two months ago tests were still covered resources that you had to show symptoms for. So, fewer people had it at all and hardly any asymptomatic people were tested to know now if they had been reinfected. 

It has basically only been in the past month that anybody could get tested. Hence, two to three months from now (or about a month ago) is the earliest that we'd really get to see any reinfections.
No doubt immunity is a wait and see proposition.
https://news.ki.se/immunity-to-covid-19-is-probably-higher-than-tests-have-shown

PearlHarbor

• Hogvillian

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o Derp
    • It's a Jeep thing...

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.

Yeah, like most of these studies, I donít think they know anything is 100% sure, lol.

Iím A+ and when that first study came out I was concerned. Had childhood asthma havenít used an inhaler in 25 years but still. .

Most of the comments from experts on that study said it was interesting but thereís just way too little data and it affects people so vastly different. Even of the same blood type. So who fíin knows.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian

No doubt immunity is a wait and see proposition.
https://news.ki.se/immunity-to-covid-19-is-probably-higher-than-tests-have-shown

Interesting article.

For those who don't want to read it, my cliff notes are thus: Along with antibodies that attach to the virus itself, there are T-cells that can detect virus infected human cells and take action. T-cell tests are much more difficult and expensive than anti-body tests, but in a study following 200 individuals who had Covid (combination of symptomatic and asymptomatic) T-cell immunity was found in twice as many people as they could detect antibodies. Though, they not that there's no indication how long that tcell immunity would last.

Of note, the study I published on immunity lasting as little as 2-3 months for those who were asymptomatic was focused on antibodies and not t-cells.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas