• 10,955,746 Posts
• 425,723 Topics
• 24,874 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting hopeful but also getting nervous  (Read 1478 times)

ladybackfan

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Getting hopeful but also getting nervous
« on: June 18, 2020, 05:44:45 pm »

I am looking forward to this season more than any I can remember.  But I am hearing that when the students go home for Xmas break.  Since they will be going to different states and being in contact with a lot of different people..  I have heard the students will not report back to campus until the Spring semester.  I REALLY hope this is not true.  Has anyone else heard anything close to this?  Hopefully it is just Facebook rumor.

Hog in Iowa

• Varsity
  • Now coming to you live from McKinney, TX.
Re: Getting hopeful but also getting nervous
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 06:15:09 pm »

My son works at Pitt and Pitt is scheduled to start classes in-person the week before Labor Day and then go all the way through with no breaks/holidays until Thanksgiving.  They then will not report back to campus until after New Years to start the Spring semester.  When he told me this I never even considered how it would affect BB.  Iíd say the UA may follow this schedule also.  Unfortunately, I feel that the colleges in the US Will all be forced to shut down again in the fall semester due to a lot of people around the country acting like the pandemic is a thing of the past and not acting responsibly. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 11:28:26 am »

Yes, I've heard rumblings through NCAA that many of the schools are implementing the joint break, with one actual break starting on Thanksgiving that would be the end of the fall semester.  I don't know that they've decided on how this will impact student athletes (predominantly basketball and Football bowls), but i wouldn't be shocked if they tried to keep those student athletes on campus and for them not to go home if they have to make interstate trips to do so. 

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 12:49:47 pm »

Yes, I've heard rumblings through NCAA that many of the schools are implementing the joint break, with one actual break starting on Thanksgiving that would be the end of the fall semester.  I don't know that they've decided on how this will impact student athletes (predominantly basketball and Football bowls), but i wouldn't be shocked if they tried to keep those student athletes on campus and for them not to go home if they have to make interstate trips to do so. 
basketball has half of their non-conference games during December after Thanksgiving.  They will be on campus if we are playing basketball.

Hogfanbornin94

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 06:56:28 pm »

I donít know how the pandemic will change things, but when I worked for a womenís team we would practice/play mid October to December 19th and then the players would report back to campus 7 days later on December 26th and be back for the rest of the year

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 09:00:25 am »

All Fall Sports that were set to start in August (Soccer, Cross Country, Volleyball) have been pushed back through the month (August 31st).  This only affects about a week and half as far as competition goes, but its all definitely getting kind of scary  :-\

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 10:05:53 am »

I dont want to be debbie downer, but I dont see a whole lot that leads me to be optimistic about seeing the non-conference schedule soon, or even if we will have a non-conference schedule of usual size (again, if at all)

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 10:15:08 am »

I dont want to be debbie downer, but I dont see a whole lot that leads me to be optimistic about seeing the non-conference schedule soon, or even if we will have a non-conference schedule of usual size (again, if at all)

I'm going to have to agree :(

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 01:31:19 pm »

There is no question that things do not look good. Every day seems to bring some kind of announcement about fall sports being canceled or postponed in some conference or league (at various levels of competition).

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 09:38:34 am »

What happens with football is going to have a large impact.  It is the top revenue sport for Power conferences.  They will do everything possible to have the sport.  We are lucky that we are in the SEC with the more open Governors that we have.  Notice there is no discussion about the AAU basketball going on this summer.  No one has objected nor has there been any reports of Covid 19 that I am aware.  I am more concerned about High School sports across the country with the schools not opening.  They will not have sports if they do not open for school.  I do not want this to turn into a political discussion - just concerned about bringing sports back to all of us who enjoy them.

LindyG

• Band Nerd
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 03:41:13 pm »

It is tough all around. I donít want anyone dying because we want to see them play.  It really is like a war scenario

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:57:16 pm »

There are a lot fewer AAU basketball tournaments happening, and the ones that are happening have some pretty strict rules in place about who can be in the gym, masks, etc. And several clubs are not participating, or (like THSS/Mavs Elite) started out playing and then discontinued. Coaches are all watching via streaming video. I am not sure that we would know if there were any reports of COVID breaking out after a basketball tournament, though -- it's not something that folks would want to publicize (quite the opposite).

AAU volleyball is not happening, but softball tournaments are happening (with coaches watching via streaming video). It's pretty much a huge jumble.

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 08:31:04 am »

I just read my NCAA media briefing this morning, and it's not great news.  In addition to what's already been cancelled/shortened/postponed, the following updates are below:

- Atlantic 10 - postpone all fall sports, looking to potentially reschedule for spring

- Colonial Athletic - cancels football season (leading many member institutions to cancel all fall sports)

- American East - postpone all fall sports, looking to potentially reschedule for spring

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 11:42:57 am »

as time passes I get less and less concerned about my basketball team and more concerned about my country

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 12:26:14 pm »

as time passes I get less and less concerned about my basketball team and more concerned about my country

Agreed.  Unfortunate, but very true.

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 08:23:46 pm »

I am quite confident that we can handle anything that ďthe other sideĒ comes at us with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas