• 10,921,847 Posts
• 424,832 Topics
• 24,851 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting interesting down in Austin  (Read 2226 times)

ricepig

nuttless hog

Re: Getting interesting down in Austin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 03:29:33 pm »

I hope we stay very uninteresting here in Fayetteville

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 04:19:30 pm »

Texas could offer to do some, not all, of those things.

Changing "The Eyes of Texas", though? That will never happen.

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 04:36:33 pm »

I hope we stay very uninteresting here in Fayetteville
Why is that?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:49 pm »

The eyes of everybody not from Texas are upon them.  ::hornsdown::

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:55 pm »

Cancel culture is the worst. Unless it results in the cancelling of all things university of Texas

3Scoreand10

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 05:26:11 pm »

I know we do not want to think this possible, but if this is brought into a stadium on game day it might get ugly.
There will be some fools on the other side that will voice their foolishness and then it will be who attacks who first.

I pray I am wrong, but we live in very difficult times.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 06:03:02 pm »

I said when Herman and the AD made their statements they were getting ahead of a situation and putting the fan base on notice. This is coming to a program near you sometime soon in some shape, form or fashion.  I appreciate all the players that come play for us and will support them in all of their efforts to make constructive change.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 06:06:03 pm »

I know we do not want to think this possible, but if this is brought into a stadium on game day it might get ugly.
There will be some fools on the other side that will voice their foolishness and then it will be who attacks who first.

If it gets out of hand, ban them for life.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 06:13:21 pm »

One “side” wants you to think that way. Hope and change. 

Covid + paying players + cancel culture + a couple of decades of building arms race = college football has peaked and will decline.

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 06:56:16 pm »

Texas could offer to do some, not all, of those things.

Changing "The Eyes of Texas", though? That will never happen.

I just read this ESPN article. Crazy times were living in.

So they want to get rid of a tradition because in 1903, the song was played during a performance in which black face was used. Did I read that correct?

parallaxpig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 06:58:09 pm »

One “side” wants you to think that way. Hope and change. 

Covid + paying players + cancel culture + a couple of decades of building arms race = college football has peaked and will decline.

Gonna be interesting times for upcoming year. Two main ways to express your views.  Vote and the bigger one, how you spend your money.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 07:00:02 pm »

Ultimately schools are going to have to detemine if they want to play DII or DIII or if they want to play at the highest level.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:10:04 pm by k.c.hawg »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 07:05:15 pm »

I understand that some may view “The Eyes of Texas” as being offensive, due to the fact that the song was originally performed by the Texas Cowboys at a minstrel show.

But, man, that would be hard for me to give up if I was a Texas fan. Of course, I am also friends with some Ole Miss fans who still don’t like that “Dixie” is no longer played and that the Confederate flag is no longer used.

JMO, but Tom Herman just sunk the boat with a way-over-the-top statement that wasn't needed at this juncture. To make a statement like that and with the players response to that statement, he just put them in a bad place. I think you will see a reduction in season ticket sales and in donations. Now I could care less if Texas sinks like an iron weight in water, but Tom Herman is the culprit and may not have a job a year or two from now.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 07:08:34 pm »

Gonna be interesting times for upcoming year. Two main ways to express your views.  Vote and the bigger one, how you spend your money.

Longtime NFL season ticket holder. I went through some degree of this in 2016. Me personally, the worst part was some people around me booing and a couple of incidents close to the tunnel as players went down. Mostly vocal stuff. I will admit it made me uncomfortable at best but it was more seeing some guys I liked and cheered on being getting booed.

I have little doubt this will be predominant in the NFL this year and i have the home schedule and 3 road games. Home Hogs and Hogs in Arrowhead.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 07:09:29 pm »

JMO, but Tom Herman just sunk the boat with a way-over-the-top statement that wasn't needed at this juncture. To make a statement like that and with the players response to that statement, he just put them in a bad place. I think you will see a reduction in season ticket sales and in donations. Now I could care less if Texas sinks like an iron weight in water, but Tom Herman is the culprit and may not have a job a year or two from now.

Tom Herman' s statement and the AD's statement were made because they knew this was in the pipeline.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 07:10:49 pm »

Nope, they facilitated it and brought it on. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 07:14:51 pm »

I would agree. They opened the door very wide.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 07:16:34 pm »

Nope they didn't. And you are short sighted to think UT would have come out with statements that strong if it was not an attempt to ask for acceptance, because it was their only choice.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2020, 07:17:39 pm »

Nope they didn't. And you are short sighted to think UT would have come out with statements that strong if it was not an attempt to ask for acceptance, because it was their only choice.

I’ve been paying attention.  You haven’t.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 07:19:20 pm »

I would disagree. They could have handled it much differently rather than just opening the door to lay down for anticipated demands.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 07:27:27 pm »

Herman actually instigated it with his gratuitous shots at fans about “not letting football players date their daughters” and the like.  What purpose does that serve?  Why insult the people you need to pay the bills?  Why even put the seed in the minds of the players that part of the fanbase looks down on them because of race?  I mean, it might be true but acknowledging it is antithetical to the goals of college football.  Bring the team and the fanbase together in celebration of achievements on the field in support of achievement on the field.

More change has resulted in the South and all over the nation as a result of white players and black players getting to know each other than all the SJW mess in the world.  Your average September night in Texas or anywhere else in the south with hundreds of thousands of whites and blacks rooting for the same cause and cheering the same plays is worth a thousand Selmas. 

Why needlessly bring division to the field?  Why introduce division to the one place where teamwork is supposed to be everything?

k.c.hawg

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 07:29:39 pm »

Herman actually instigated it with his gratuitous shots at fans about “not letting football players date their daughters” and the like.  What purpose does that serve?  Why insult the people you need to pay the bills?  Why even put the seed in the minds of the players that part of the fanbase looks down on them because of race?  I mean, it might be true but acknowledging it is antithetical to the goals of college football.  Bring the team and the fanbase together in celebration of achievements on the field in support of achievement on the field.

More change has resulted in the South and all over the nation as a result of white players and black players getting to know each other than all the SJW mess in the world.  Your average September night in Texas or anywhere else in the south with hundreds of thousands of whites and blacks rooting for the same cause and cheering the same plays is worth a thousand Selmas. 

Why needlessly bring division to the field?  Why introduce division to the one place where teamwork is supposed to be everything?

I still see white men thinking that white leadership is going to be able to control young black men and their desire to change the system that they make the money for. Not happening.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:48 pm »

I still see white men thinking that white leadership is going to be able to control young black men and their desire to change the system that they make the money for. Not happening.

I still see young black men thinking that we just can’t go deer hunting on Saturdays and church on Sundays and they can go back to wherever it is the poor people go.  Nothing they do on the field has to be done and we certainly don’t have to pay for it.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 07:34:39 pm »

Oh good grief.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 07:45:49 pm »

Oh good grief.

Good grief to you, wake the hell up. You are actually BLAMING this on Tom Herman??? Texas knew this was coming and anyone that doesn't realize that is nothing short of stupid.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 07:46:27 pm »

I still see young black men thinking that we just can’t go deer hunting on Saturdays and church on Sundays and they can go back to wherever it is the poor people go. Nothing they do on the field has to be done and we certainly don’t have to pay for it.

There you go. This perfectly defines your views. Enough said.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:54:54 am by k.c.hawg »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 08:02:22 pm »

Good grief to you, wake the hell up. You are actually BLAMING this on Tom Herman??? Texas knew this was coming and anyone that doesn't realize that is nothing short of stupid.

So are you calling me stupid because I have a different opinion than you?

island hog

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2020, 10:03:28 am »

I have many Longhorn friends who I graduated from there with who donate tons of money to the university and have extended family with their names on buildings at UT from the money they've given through the years... this is exaclty how they see it.  These are heavy alums who were caught off guard by Herman's statements and aren't taking kindly to his boldness.  Herman is percieved as giving the players to go-ahead to say whatever they want and there is concern that there may be others who follow Brennan Eagles and say they won't play. 
The really big alum money is silent for now but won't be for long. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2020, 10:13:37 am »

So are you calling me stupid because I have a different opinion than you?

I shouldn't have used that word and no I certainly don't think that.

On June the 2nd my position was, Texas made such a strong statement directly to their fans because they knew there was going to be a major disruption in their normal.....on campus and on gameday. Of course it got scrubbed out of the thread as a portion of the thread went off the rails.

In that thread you agreed that Herman showed good leadership and you were pleased to read his statement.

My opinion is and was, Texas knew something very similar to this was coming 10 days ago and that was the reason for the statement. Here is what i based it on.:

Herman said the Longhorns had a three-hour virtual team meeting on Monday after a weekend full of nationwide protests and riots. There was virtually no football discussed. Herman opened the floor to a group of mostly black athletes who were frustrated and angry over policy brutality, senseless killing and what it’s like being black in politically divided America.

Asked to describe the emotions of the meeting, Herman said, “All over the place. Some guys were were rightfully angry and wanted to vent. Some guys were more tempered in their tone and maybe more pragmatic. But, you know, it certainly ran the gamut of not only emotions, but the thoughts and ideas of how do we best unite as a team to create real change.”
[/i]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 10:26:31 am by k.c.hawg »

311Hog

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2020, 10:48:03 am »

I still see young black men thinking that we just can’t go deer hunting on Saturdays and church on Sundays and they can go back to wherever it is the poor people go.  Nothing they do on the field has to be done and we certainly don’t have to pay for it.

ROFL WOW you are one racist dirtbag….

ocsm158

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 04:43:33 pm »

I shouldn't have used that word and no I certainly don't think that.

On June the 2nd my position was, Texas made such a strong statement directly to their fans because they knew there was going to be a major disruption in their normal.....on campus and on gameday. Of course it got scrubbed out of the thread as a portion of the thread went off the rails.

In that thread you agreed that Herman showed good leadership and you were pleased to read his statement.

My opinion is and was, Texas knew something very similar to this was coming 10 days ago and that was the reason for the statement. Here is what i based it on.:

Herman said the Longhorns had a three-hour virtual team meeting on Monday after a weekend full of nationwide protests and riots. There was virtually no football discussed. Herman opened the floor to a group of mostly black athletes who were frustrated and angry over policy brutality, senseless killing and what it’s like being black in politically divided America.

Asked to describe the emotions of the meeting, Herman said, “All over the place. Some guys were were rightfully angry and wanted to vent. Some guys were more tempered in their tone and maybe more pragmatic. But, you know, it certainly ran the gamut of not only emotions, but the thoughts and ideas of how do we best unite as a team to create real change.”
[/i]

My point is, as the HC at Texas, there are ways to address this situation with care and concern for players and then, there are other ways to address the concerns of players and what Herman did was "cave" 100% in the beginning, giving players free-reign to come up with a list of demands. Now they have nowhere to go with a negotiation of what the players want vs. what is reasonable. Based on what Herman has stated, all they can do is cave to player demands and I really doubt that the PTB at Texas are going to allow that so now, they have an even bigger problem.

I doubt that Herman will be the HC at Texas after 2020.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 09:47:49 pm »

Tom  Herman didn’t release that statement without it going through the AD.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2020, 08:50:01 am »

Tom  Herman didn’t release that statement without it going through the AD.

I agree that would be the assumption, but we really don't know for certain. I would also assume that Herman didn't expect player demands like the ones they were handed.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2020, 02:16:35 pm »

I agree that would be the assumption, but we really don't know for certain. I would also assume that Herman didn't expect player demands like the ones they were handed.

Right or wrong I am convinced that statement was vetted by all people responsible for the athletic department and fund raising. Tom Herman isn't even secure in his own job and I don't see them letting him address their biggest boosters in the way he did without it being vetted and signed off on. Maybe they will all be fired for miscalculating the situation. Texas after 2016, has already removed some statues and confederate names that were on their prized fountain.

From 2017:

Late Sunday night, 10 days before classes were scheduled to start, workers at the University of Texas at Austin began removing three Confederate statues from a prominent grass mall on campus.

The surprise news came with little notice, and the workers were done by sunrise. University president Greg Fenves announced that the statues of Robert E. Lee, Albert Sidney Johnston and John Reagan were being removed because they depict parts of American history that "run counter to the university's core values." His e-mail to the campus community was sent just before 11 p.m. A statue of former Texas Gov. James Stephen Hogg was also marked for removal.

"We do not choose our history, but we choose what we honor and celebrate on our campus," he wrote. "As UT students return in the coming week, I look forward to welcoming them here for a new academic year with a recommitment to an open, positive and inclusive learning environment for all."

Hawg Red

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2020, 09:30:22 am »

ROFL WOW you are one racist dirtbag….

Like.....how is that post not deleted by now??

I thought I was missing something until I saw your post and confirmed I wasn't crazy.

311Hog

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2020, 09:32:41 am »

I thought I was missing something until I saw your post and confirmed I wasn't crazy.

maybe because it is 100% true and you liked it along with several others because it is true.  How that poster isn't deleted by now is the better question.

Hogwild

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2020, 01:50:35 pm »

They have been asked to change their football helmet logo as well to show solidarity.

247Hog

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »

Donating 0.5 percent of the athletics department's annual earnings to "black organizations and the BLM movement"

Wow.

Torqued pork

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2020, 12:04:20 am »

Donating 0.5 percent of the athletics department's annual earnings to "black organizations and the BLM movement"

Wow.
BLM's founders are trained Marxists. That won't  go over well with the average college football fan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas