• 10,955,742 Posts
• 425,723 Topics
• 24,874 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question for the Recruiting Forum.  (Read 3394 times)

k.c.hawg

A question for the Recruiting Forum.
« on: June 09, 2020, 12:29:48 pm »

If I told you before signing day we were going to land our Fantastic 4 and we were going to add the # 77 player from Class of 2016 with 92 games and 65 starts of high level competition and we were going to add the #78 player from the 2017 class with 98 games and 73 starts at Indiana.....and they were 6'7" 230 and 6'9" 230, would the excitement level been a little too much to handle all at once??

Gotdatwood

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: A question for the Recruiting Forum.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:18:42 pm »

If I told you before signing day we were going to land our Fantastic 4 and we were going to add the # 77 player from Class of 2016 with 92 games and 65 starts of high level competition and we were going to add the #78 player from the 2017 class with 98 games and 73 starts at Indiana.....and they were 6'7" 230 and 6'9" 230, would the excitement level been a little too much to handle all at once??

The only acceptable answer here is yes.  I'm 28 and haven't experienced a recruiting class (including transfers) with this much talent. And we haven't even been close to it in the last decade. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogkiller

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 03:12:13 pm »

You guys need to throw in JD Notae, 7í 3Ē Connor Vanover and Iyiola.  With the returning cast it may be the best assembly of talent at Arkansas ever.  Now yes they have to pan out and produce but after some research this is the most talent.  And some of it is proven on the court talent.  Havenít been this optimistic in a long time.

Dantztime

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 04:01:37 pm »

You guys need to throw in JD Notae, 7í 3Ē Connor Vanover and Iyiola.  With the returning cast it may be the best assembly of talent at Arkansas ever.  Now yes they have to pan out and produce but after some research this is the most talent.  And some of it is proven on the court talent.  Havenít been this optimistic in a long time.

You didn't research much if you think this is the most talent we've ever had. Might be 4th, at best, behind 1978, 1982, and 1992. We'll need to make a run and have multiple draft picks to put this team up there.

Stephen Hawgking

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 04:15:56 pm »

Iím pumped!  Itís really exciting. 

Just waiting for Joe, but I know we are going to be good regardless.  If Joe comes back, Iíll be ecstatic, and this should be a preseason top 25 team.

hogfanxj

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 04:44:54 pm »

Iím pumped!  Itís really exciting. 

Just waiting for Joe, but I know we are going to be good regardless.  If Joe comes back, Iíll be ecstatic, and this should be a preseason top 25 team.

someone has to leave were at 13 without Joe even deciding whether he is coming back.

Hogkiller

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 05:15:17 pm »

You didn't research much if you think this is the most talent we've ever had. Might be 4th, at best, behind 1978, 1982, and 1992. We'll need to make a run and have multiple draft picks to put this team up there.

Did not say what they were going to turn out to be. 8 out of 13 players ranked in Top 100 by at least one service or another.  They might not win one game.  I said they would have to pan out.  Nolanís best class never made it to campus.  Eddie never had 8 Top 100 players that I found.  And most assuredly not 6 in one class.  Just saying I could be wrong.

Hogkiller

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 05:33:03 pm »

After more research I found that no Coach in Arkansas as far as I could go back never brought 10 new players to the floor in one group 8 of which were ranked in the Top 100 by one or more recruiting services.  1 Connor Vanover 2 Abayami Iyiola 3 JD Notae 4 KK Robinson 5 Moses Moody 6 Devonta Davis 7 Jaylin Williams 8 Vance Jackson 9 Justin Smith 10 Jalen Tate

Someone has a decision to make unless the NCAA makes a decision on roster limits.  Letís hope itís not Joe.  My money is on Henderson or Chaney?

Stephen Hawgking

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 08:46:45 pm »

someone has to leave were at 13 without Joe even deciding whether he is coming back.

Theyíll sort that out if need be.  I hate it, but it is the brutal reality

k.c.hawg

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 07:48:01 am »

For all we know the numbers have already been worked out. The way the recruiting was going, I have a reason to believe that the staff was not thinking lets go get a guy and we will work out the numbers later.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 07:59:22 am »

For all we know the numbers have already been worked out. The way the recruiting was going, I have a reason to believe that the staff was not thinking lets go get a guy and we will work out the numbers later.
Hawg Red posted in Jump Ball that Henderson may be gone.

Smithian

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 09:54:27 am »

I'm happy with how this offseason played out.

For this next class, I also hope to see some successes on the trail in out of state high school recruiting. Hogs are in the game with many big time prep recruits, hope to see them land a couple. Next season's roster will have 6 transfers on it. Musselman definitely did about the best job he could turning over the roster in the short term, but not sure if in the long run you want half your roster being transfers. That seems like a tough tight rope to walk.

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 09:55:16 am »

Since we are going on paper of what could be.  Yes, i'd say that this could be the best group of talent we've assembled to date.  That one recruiting class Nolan got after we lost to Ucla was supposed to be best the best class ever recruited by anyone.  But, only Hood, saxon, sunday, pate, bradley made it and sunday, saxon were gone mid season and saxon left at end of year.  We made the sweet 16 that year.     Now this is different, as all of the players in this group are all cleared from what i understand or already on the roster.  So, we might as well say that they are already on the team.  The incoming transfers pretty much were all high caliber players at their previous schools.  If Joe indeed stays,  and i believe Henderson is the player who transfers out, this indeed could very well be the most talent we've had on the team in years and possibly ever.  On paper it sure looks good.   

Muss had built his team at Nevada on transfers mainly.  Then he was working on high caliber HS kids once the winning came.  Everyone has their own way.  That was Muss'  He is definitely showing players, especially transfers, what he can do to help them get into the league.  That's why we've had such good luck with getting them. You can kind of equate it to getting a 1 & done.  Except on the backend of their college career , after they have already proven what they could do.  If you asked me, which player you'd rather get, a HS 5* one & done or a potential high caliber transfer who has proven himself already.  I'd take the transfer.  But that's just me. 

Hogkiller

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 09:24:58 pm »

I think the talent by committee will replace Mason.  Yes he had a hell of a year and should have been MVP.  This team has way more talent everywhere.  3 good point guards that can facilitate, score and defend.  3 guys capable of playing the SG and can score in bunches.  Depth at the Guard position is exceptional.  The SF or 3 slot has been a missing part for some time now. With Moses Moody,  Isaiah Joe and Justin Smith we are solid.  Guys donít be fooled by Moodyís 11 or 12 points a game he was playing on a team so talented he did not have to score.  He will be a GREAT player at Arkansas.  Williams, Vanover, Iyiola, Jackson and who ever doesnít transfer (Henderson and Chaney) will be fine at the Bigs.  Canít wait.

SONofHAM

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 09:40:19 pm »

I'm happy with how this offseason played out.

For this next class, I also hope to see some successes on the trail in out of state high school recruiting.
Don't forget he had the TX PF committed.  I also think the numbers being what they were and having 5 in-state studs kept Muss from targeting out of staters more.

makiavelli

• Varsity
  • Once a hog, always a hog
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 07:04:02 pm »

I would say the 96-97? class was probably the most collective talent all incoming at one time. If the ncaa hadnt screwed us there never would have been a fall off.

Hawg Red

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 07:41:09 pm »

We are at 13 scholarships *counting* Isaiah Joe. No one has to leave at this point with Chaney entering the portal.

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 09:03:02 pm »

We are at 13 scholarships *counting* Isaiah Joe. No one has to leave at this point with Chaney entering the portal.

Well to be fair his post is from June 9th

Chaney transfer announcement was on June 15th

nwahogfan1

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 09:38:38 am »

I know our freshmen coming in are more talented than our transfers but our transfers are older, stronger and so smarter and more ready to help us against the SEC teams.   I might be wrong but right now I only see one or maybe 2 freshmen playing over 10 MPG at least early.  Muss loves older players so the freshmen will really have to impress him to get big minutes.

Hawg Red

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 08:49:28 am »

Well to be fair his post is from June 9th

Chaney transfer announcement was on June 15th

Ah, good point. The days are blurring together at this point.

ICEman

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 03:53:48 pm »

Iíll pay to go watch practice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas