• 10,955,743 Posts
• 425,723 Topics
• 24,874 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Hoop Hogs add Indiana grad-transfer Justin Smith  (Read 4799 times)

Hawg Red

Re: Re: Hoop Hogs add Indiana grad-transfer Justin Smith
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2020, 08:10:18 am »

bionic tell me if I am wrong but Williams as a senior ASUN player of the year and playing in the NBA right?

C-USA Player of the Year in 2017. Has never played in the NBA. Was on a training camp contract with Cleveland for just 4 days before being cut. Currently signed to play for PAOK in Greece.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2020, 09:01:45 am »

There is plenty of room for Jackson and Smith. This is not an either or for playing time. We have added a couple of solid forwards that are capable of 12/6 any night out. I know it's hard for us to believe but we have an embarassment of riches. Players from last year are getting recruited over, they will either get better, be on the end of the bench or transfer.

To me, the way Muss backloaded the bench last year with Notae, Vanover and Iyola. The way he bought in two one year guys. The way he stuck the landing on the incoming class. The way he has replaced Whitt with another grad transfer, experienced, long, high end defender that can defend 3 positions, added two grad transfer forwards (when is the last time we had 6'9" 230 ad 6'7" 230 that can play)

It all looks like the most masterful thing I've seen from Arkansas basketball in 2 decades plus. Fired up for the season.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
Re: Hoop Hogs add Indiana grad-transfer Justin Smith
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2020, 10:06:59 am »

Don't blink.  The situation is fluid.

Also, WPS!

k.c.hawg

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2020, 10:11:45 am »

Don't blink.  The situation is fluid.

Also, WPS!

Think of how crazy it would be to be on Hogville during a Razorback game.....of any kind. If we could ever have both of those things, it would be like the coolest thing EVER!!

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2020, 10:21:17 am »

There is plenty of room for Jackson and Smith. This is not an either or for playing time. We have added a couple of solid forwards that are capable of 12/6 any night out. I know it's hard for us to believe but we have an embarassment of riches. Players from last year are getting recruited over, they will either get better, be on the end of the bench or transfer.

To me, the way Muss backloaded the bench last year with Notae, Vanover and Iyola. The way he bought in two one year guys. The way he stuck the landing on the incoming class. The way he has replaced Whitt with another grad transfer, experienced, long, high end defender that can defend 3 positions, added two grad transfer forwards (when is the last time we had 6'9" 230 ad 6'7" 230 that can play)

It all looks like the most masterful thing I've seen from Arkansas basketball in 2 decades plus. Fired up for the season.
I totally agree.  Muss has filled the bus so to speak with a lot of talent.  As i've said in the past, this  past team that Muss had will be the least talented team he ever has on the Hill!  Think about that.  Muss was able to come in and mold that team into a solid nucleus that on any given night, if their shots were falling especially, they could play with anyone!  I thought about that a lot whenever we'd get outrebounded just because the other team would have two 6'11 guys going against our 6'4 ish guys. How many of those games would we have won if we'd just got a couple of more rebounds?   

Muss is already opening the eyes to all players whether they are high caliber transfers or HS studs.  The winning is coming, the talent is coming, it's already here now.  We got a very small taste of what we can expect on the avg from here on out.  When We go 25+ wins this season, Muss will be a coach that actually deserves one of these football type lock-in contracts. 

I guarantee you that Ole Crapilari's butt is puckering up everytime he looks at the recruiting rankings and sees that Muss has a top5 -10 class!  i promise you that!  He saw what Muss can do with a talent short team literally & figureatively.   I am sure he'll have heart palpitations when he sees the next team Muss brings.  haha.. 

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2020, 10:28:47 am »

I think a challenge for hog fans with coach Muss will be patiently waiting for the Fall to see what the roster is because he is always looking to improve. We all want to project and predict though and thatís the fun part.

Best case, Joe comes back and we are a very experienced team. I think the staff sees Smith as an upgraded Bailey that is going to be a great energy guy, will defend at a high level, and can help do some of the dirty work. Itís hard to see a guy who averaged 30MPG coming in and not getting major minutes, though I donít see him starting. I think this really impacts Jaylin Williams potential minutes the most. Maybe instead of him being Vanoverís back up, Muss goes smaller with Jackson and Smith as the ďbigs.Ē

Worst case, Joe leaves and everyone else returns. This would make Moody the focal point most likely. Gotta think this would cause Jackson to play more of the ď3Ē with smith and Vanover/williams.

With Joe, I think freshman other than Moody will really have to fight for PT. I could see Muss trying to redshirt at least one of them. Without Joe there will be more available minutes for the young guards. Either way, it should be a fun year at the Bud. Man, I just wanna watch the practices with all these guys vying for minutes!

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2020, 05:38:54 pm »

Trying to figure out this 2020-2021 lineup is crazy, especially if no one leaves.

Smithian

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2020, 05:43:48 pm »

Trying to figure out this 2020-2021 lineup is crazy, especially if no one leaves.
This guy seems like a 4 for Musselman.

I'm wondering if this makes a Henderson or Chaney transfer more likely. This roster is suddenly very busy in the frontcourt.

Even if we lose one of those guys, I don't want to see one person next year complaining about size. This frontcourt as is long and big as any in basketball. This is a very modern frontcourt.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2020, 06:34:24 pm »

Grad transfers don't always work out.  Whitt performed well beyond expectations, Cylla didn't come close to his last season.  He'll instantly be the most athletic player on this team.  Maybe a system change will be the change he needs to break out.  I'll trust Muss' thoughts on Justin.
I agree that you can't count on knowing how transfers will perform.

On the other hand, Jimmy Whitt's performance shouldn't be too surprising. After all, he was the #68 player in his high school class, so the pedigree was there. Based on that ranking, he performed according to his talent level last year.

On the flip side, Cylla never had a player ranking like that or ever been evaluated as a top player.

I like to know the rankings, combined with their offer sheet, as they are usually a pretty good indicator of a player's ceiling.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2020, 06:38:40 pm »

Well I think I like the player, but if this means Isaiah is out then itís bad news.
Agreed, we need either Joe or Jones, or both, to come back for this team to have possibility of being 'really good'.
They're going to be good, but I think it would hard to be 'really good' if Mason Jones, Isaiah Joe, and Jimmy Whitt all left. That's just a lot of production to replace.
Jones is already gone. We need the experienced Joe to come back. One of the three stars to return.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2020, 07:21:15 pm »

100% truth. I've never seen Arkansas so talented from top to bottom. If Joe comes back we're top 10 on paper.

widespreadsooie

• Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2020, 07:25:52 pm »

Henderson may be out

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2020, 08:04:03 pm »

Henderson may be out
I sure hope not. He has played well when given a chance.
I know his problem has always been bringing it every day, and learning the playbook, practice habits, stuff like that.
It says a lot that he has struggled to find playing time under two different coaches.

BUT...whenever he has gotten to play, he has inevitably looked good.

He fits my post above about trusting the rankings and offer sheet. As I recall, LSU and Texas offered him as well. He was a 4-star player.
His ceiling is high and he shows it when he gets to play.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2020, 08:10:10 pm »

navyhog24

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2020, 08:50:23 pm »

I bet Chaney is out. He was in the doghouse a lot last season and Henderson started getting a lot of playing time towards the end of the season when the light bulb finally came on.

Hawg Red

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2020, 09:00:10 pm »

Henderson may be out

Hearing something or just gut feeling?

Smithian

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2020, 10:13:17 pm »

We have four guys between 6'7 and 6'9 who are pretty athletic, poor shooters, and are best as roll guys on offense.

Numbers make it seem likely one of the rising juniors will check the door.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:29:23 pm by Smithian »

Hawg Red

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2020, 11:10:45 pm »

Hearing something or just gut feeling?

If you (widespreadsooie) saw the document I just saw, yeah, Henderson is GONE.

**I am responding to my question to widespreadsooie but it looks like Iím talking to myself, sorry.**

HogFoo

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2020, 12:14:42 am »

**I am responding to my question to widespreadsooie but it looks like Iím talking to myself, sorry.**
Well, then Henderson doesnt sound like he's coming back.  Which, in the few times he did get to stay in the game an extended amount of time, he did kind of start to catch on.  He just didnt quite ever reach where i thought he would be.  If he's gone. I'd trade Justin smith for him.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2020, 08:03:14 am »

Document?  That doesn't sound good.

Cure

• Hogfan at Ohio State Univ
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2020, 08:26:01 am »

Muss building that positionless roster day by day. He'll be a great addition, especially on the boards. I'm sure he came here because of Muss being able to improve forwards for the next level. Smith is what you look for in 3 and D in the league.

HogFoo

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2020, 09:39:11 am »

Muss building that positionless roster day by day. He'll be a great addition, especially on the boards. I'm sure he came here because of Muss being able to improve forwards for the next level. Smith is what you look for in 3 and D in the league.
I agree.  That's what it appears that Muss is doing.  He's going for that position-less roster so to speak. Which, hey, whatever, I am fine with it.  Something that always sticks in my head from years ago that Rick Pitino said.  They were doing a comparison between him and Nolan.  Pitino basically copied Nolan and then added higher rated players than we were getting.  Which, Nolan's system worked until they started changing the rules after we beat Duke.  Nolan used to say he wanted the other team to feel like they'd been in a street fight.  Which, they kind of did.  When you'd have Corey beck have one arm on your back then bring that other into ya, that'd usually throw the guard off enough to steal the ball and score.  After we played Duke, ole Krooozawooski complained, that next year they started a trial of calling a foul whenever that 2nd hand touched the back.  Then of course it migrated to no hands touched.  Then of course all the TO's added... anyway..  you get it.   But the thing i always am reminded of with Pitino in the comparison interview he did about Nolan.  He told the reporter that he 100% went for the better shooter instead of the more athletic guy.  He said that he could always teach them defense.  Teaching them to shoot was always the much harder part.   Which that's one thing i have noticed about Muss.  We have definitely went after the guys that can shoot.  Which i'm fine with a VanOver who at 7'3 can shoot a shot that no one can block.   Which, it appears Muss had done a great job with teaching them defense just looking at this past season.  I look forward to seeing the team play again.  Or any team play for that matter.  Any sports. 

DenaoStyle

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2020, 10:35:22 am »

I agree.  That's what it appears that Muss is doing.  He's going for that position-less roster so to speak. Which, hey, whatever, I am fine with it.  Something that always sticks in my head from years ago that Rick Pitino said.  They were doing a comparison between him and Nolan.  Pitino basically copied Nolan and then added higher rated players than we were getting.  Which, Nolan's system worked until they started changing the rules after we beat Duke.  Nolan used to say he wanted the other team to feel like they'd been in a street fight.  Which, they kind of did.  When you'd have Corey beck have one arm on your back then bring that other into ya, that'd usually throw the guard off enough to steal the ball and score.  After we played Duke, ole Krooozawooski complained, that next year they started a trial of calling a foul whenever that 2nd hand touched the back.  Then of course it migrated to no hands touched.  Then of course all the TO's added... anyway..  you get it.   But the thing i always am reminded of with Pitino in the comparison interview he did about Nolan.  He told the reporter that he 100% went for the better shooter instead of the more athletic guy.  He said that he could always teach them defense.  Teaching them to shoot was always the much harder part.   Which that's one thing i have noticed about Muss.  We have definitely went after the guys that can shoot.  Which i'm fine with a VanOver who at 7'3 can shoot a shot that no one can block.   Which, it appears Muss had done a great job with teaching them defense just looking at this past season.  I look forward to seeing the team play again.  Or any team play for that matter.  Any sports. 

Yea, I think one of the greatest misconceptions is that we needed a bunch of elite athletes to run Nolan/Anderson's system.  The 94/95 ball clubs weren't the most athletic.  McDaniel, Dillard, Corliss were great athletes...but guys like Beck, Stewart, Thurman, Wilson, Robinson, etc were skilled basketball players more than they were great athletes.  They also had size.

HogFoo

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2020, 11:35:59 am »

Yea, I think one of the greatest misconceptions is that we needed a bunch of elite athletes to run Nolan/Anderson's system.  The 94/95 ball clubs weren't the most athletic.  McDaniel, Dillard, Corliss were great athletes...but guys like Beck, Stewart, Thurman, Wilson, Robinson, etc were skilled basketball players more than they were great athletes.  They also had size.
I agree.  That championship team had a lot of pretty good shooters on it.  And like you say, it wasn't full of just extreme athletes either.  I like what Muss is doing now.  To me he's building like a college GS warriors team.  WHich hey, i'm fine with that.  We still need the BIGS on the inside on those nights when outside shots dont wanna fall on the road.  But, it's obvious Muss knows what he's doing.  glad to have him as coach.  I look forward to having him as our coach for the foreseeable future.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2020, 11:59:31 am »

You nailed it.
Basketball players with skills (chiefly, shooting) trump athletes.
Size also matters. The addition of the two 6'11 guys to combine with Corliss and Stewart inside was the missing link that put them over the top.

It's always been ironic that what the public thinks of Nolan (40 minutes of Hell), as exemplified by teams such as the 92-93 'Runts' or the 2000 team that won the SEC Tournament by forcing 93 turnovers in four games, wasn't his best teams.

The 94 and 95 teams exemplify what a well-rounded basketball team needs to have. They had all bases covered and could play any way.

Paul

« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2020, 01:06:11 pm »

You nailed it.
Basketball players with skills (chiefly, shooting) trump athletes.
Size also matters. The addition of the two 6'11 guys to combine with Corliss and Stewart inside was the missing link that put them over the top.

It's always been ironic that what the public thinks of Nolan (40 minutes of Hell), as exemplified by teams such as the 92-93 'Runts' or the 2000 team that won the SEC Tournament by forcing 93 turnovers in four games, wasn't his best teams.

The 94 and 95 teams exemplify what a well-rounded basketball team needs to have. They had all bases covered and could play any way.
  agree...Tank Robinson & Lee Wilson

outlawhogeywells

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2020, 02:22:39 pm »

does anyone have a link to the "document"

leroyhawg

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2020, 02:58:44 pm »

10 and 5 with 63 with 63 starts at the University of Indiana says tons about the kid.  Add 48 vertical.  Iíll let him jump and shoot from 6 feet in all day.  This isnít about Joe.  Someone now has a decision to make.  We upgraded.  I think we better take a closer look at TRUSTING this Staff.  I do and itís been a while since I could say that.  Good to Great get.

This

Hawg Red

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2020, 09:16:58 pm »

does anyone have a link to the "document"

Not a working one. Not anymore. I'm guessing it was taken down.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas