• 10,955,744 Posts
• 425,723 Topics
• 24,874 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: arkansas women basketball  (Read 1520 times)

jackflash

arkansas women basketball
« on: May 13, 2020, 07:50:52 am »

Question does Mike  style of play hurt in recruiting centers

LadybackBBFan

Re: arkansas women basketball
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 08:09:02 am »

Question does Mike  style of play hurt in recruiting centers
I would think it helps.  Why would you ask such a question?  I would need more on what you are thinking.  Yes, some players would not fit into his style of play but I think that is true for every coach.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 08:24:07 am »

I don't know that I would word it that way.  I think it takes certain types of players, even some high profile players, out of contention who don't want that style or don't fit into it well.  But for a lot of players, especially in the way women's basketball is transitioning to a faster game tempo, his style is incredibly attractive.  That style also lends itself to get great performances out of "lower rated players" players that might have flown under the radar during the recruiting process, and can turn them into All-SEC performers or even All-Americans (Osahor wasn't a top 70 recruit, but became an All-American "Center" under this system; Daniels wasn't a top 100 recruit, yet produced IMO an All-Freshman SEC season; Tolefree was a JUCO player that became a first team All-SEC).

Like LBBF says, it works for some but not others.

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 08:37:54 am »

Another way to look at it is that there are some excellent guards who aren't a good fit for the offense, either. For example, Isabella Higginbottom is a very good player (top 100 ranked), but she did not get much attention (or more importantly, an offer) from the Hogs, but she just committed to Mizzou, who plays a very different style for which she's a better fit.

The super tall, wide body, slow, can-only-shoot-from-the-block centers will do VERY well in, say, Baylor's system, but would not necessarily be a fit in ours. It's about finding players who fit your system.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:38:44 am »

Mike knows the type players who fit into his system.  Take McGee who is an incoming freshman, Mike said he knew in 30 seconds that she would fit into his system when he saw her at an AAU tournament in Chicago.  He was not even there to see her.  So it will be fun to see if she does fit into his system quickly.  I would not be surprised to see her the surprise this year.  I already expect Eaton and Slocum to make a big impact.

jackflash

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 12:57:50 pm »

Maybe i ask the question the wrong way. the reason I ask it was when we play South Carolina and Miss State it seems so easy for them. When we get to the NCAA were going to have and Play with great length

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 04:34:06 pm »

Maybe i ask the question the wrong way. the reason I ask it was when we play South Carolina and Miss State it seems so easy for them. When we get to the NCAA were going to have and Play with great length
Let's face it, we have never been a high quality team since we have been in the SEC.  In three years Mike has tied our best regular season record and took us to the final four in the tournament for two times - in our other 20+ years we only went twice and never to the final two which Mike did.  Ruby Vaden who did not pan out was the only tall center that we ever recruited.  Shemeka Christionsen who is 6'3 " is the only tall good player that we have ever had.  With Mike's success, good tall players are on the way.  Dawm and Schaffer did not turn their programs around immediately.  Mike has done a phenomenal job of recruiting what  he needs and it just keeps getting better.  Also we did beat SC in the SEC tournament in 2019.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 07:03:33 pm »

Let's face it, we have never been a high quality team since we have been in the SEC.  In three years Mike has tied our best regular season record and took us to the final four in the tournament for two times - in our other 20+ years we only went twice and never to the final two which Mike did.  Ruby Vaden who did not pan out was the only tall center that we ever recruited.  Shemeka Christionsen who is 6'3 " is the only tall good player that we have ever had.  With Mike's success, good tall players are on the way.  Dawm and Schaffer did not turn their programs around immediately.  Mike has done a phenomenal job of recruiting what  he needs and it just keeps getting better.  Also we did beat SC in the SEC tournament in 2019.

What she said.

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 07:38:41 pm »

What she said.

I think you have to look at the womens basketball teams as partially the product of two seasons each year.  There are times when our lack of height can be more exploited (when teams have three or four days or perhaps a full week to prepare for our style of play during the regular season for one), and when it cant be prepared for as well (when at tournament time you have only a day or two). 

Now I do think that it will be even harder to matchup up with us this coming year in regular season that last fall or the year before.  Post season over the last two years we are 7-3, with the tree losses coming against very good teams (MSSU with McGowan, TCU and their 6-3 player who touched us for 30, and this year SC). 

I think this year and this is a very big if: If TT continues to improve and sh played much more aggressively in the last 10 games than she did most of the year, and especially if Erynn really busts her britches and improves as much as TT did last year, and really especially if the two big Destine's give our newest Destiny a good deal of rebounding and off rebound support.  THEN, we will be even harder to handle.  I dont think we have seen Chelsea Dungee's best, nor have we seen Amber Ramirez and Jailyn Mason's best, and we will see Destiny Slocum's best.  Four top drawer guards of their caliber will rip the guts out of 90 per cent of the teams we play.  If Elauna and Rylee, Davis and Reeece contribute, it wont just be a one year peak either.

Hogtired10

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 09:54:56 pm »

Jack I knew what you meant. Those same players that don't fit our style of play are the same players that destroy us in the paint. For example, Aliyah Boston killed us in the paint and we could not get anything inside. I like to think that coach is aware of that and is working to recruit that.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 12:59:51 am »

Jack I knew what you meant. Those same players that don't fit our style of play are the same players that destroy us in the paint. For example, Aliyah Boston killed us in the paint and we could not get anything inside. I like to think that coach is aware of that and is working to recruit that.

Everybody knew what he meant.  Its been discussed here in one form or another for three years:  every thing from the first year, we dont have any height, second year, why dont we use our height more, third year why don't we use the two post scheme every now and then that coach talks about...

Fact is, its also been discussed for that length of time that Mike likes and relies on a four guard and usually one forward offense and that yields strengths and weaknesses.  If we were to get a 6-4 or above post to run the floor and our new 6-4 guard coming in 2021, problem would be solved for four years and we could go to discussing how we are doing with our height.

Hogtired10

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:41:23 am »

Everybody knew what he meant.  Its been discussed here in one form or another for three years:  every thing from the first year, we dont have any height, second year, why dont we use our height more, third year why don't we use the two post scheme every now and then that coach talks about...

Fact is, its also been discussed for that length of time that Mike likes and relies on a four guard and usually one forward offense and that yields strengths and weaknesses.  If we were to get a 6-4 or above post to run the floor and our new 6-4 guard coming in 2021, problem would be solved for four years and we could go to discussing how we are doing with our height.

That would be great. I remember Ta'shia Phillips when they signed her at Xavier. She was a program changer for them. I do think that we has a fan are impatient but
 I'm pretty sure he is well aware of that problem.

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 11:16:58 am »

Keep in mind, if all goes well with the rest of the 2021 recruiting, by the 21/22 season, we'll have the following heights, which I can't remember seeing at Arkansas really ever.  CMN's only on year 3 and building fast.  I know the original post was about centers, but IMO with this offense, we're not going to have the typical Courtney Paris type of player. What we will have very soon is a lot more players with height and length, and much taller F/C/P player average height.

Hughes - 5'7
Spencer - 5'7
Daniels - 5'8
Langerman - 5'10
Reece - 5'10
Davis - 6'0
Eaton - 6'0 (some reports of 6'1)
Barnum - 6'2
McGhee - 6'2
Sage - 6'2
Ellis - 6'3
Oberg - 6'3
Dauda - 6'4 (not yet committed)
Wolfenbarger - 6'4 (some reports of 6'5 now)  8)

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 03:54:17 pm »

Wolfenburger is 6' 5" per her.  I take her word for it.

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 01:19:59 pm »

Wolfenburger is 6' 5" per her.  I take her word for it.

I almost just put 6'5, but figured someone would try to correct me since ESPN still has 6'1 I think ;)

But yes, I agree!

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 01:47:51 pm »

I almost just put 6'5, but figured someone would try to correct me since ESPN still has 6'1 I think ;)

But yes, I agree!

You are correct, they do. It'll be interesting to see if/how her ranking changes if they ever update her height. So much of ESPN's ranking system is projecting into college, and the taller kids almost always get ranking bumps over higher skilled (in high school) players because it's assumed that they'll grow into their height. I really do think we might see Jersey's ranking go up over the next year.

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 03:01:04 pm »

You are correct, they do. It'll be interesting to see if/how her ranking changes if they ever update her height. So much of ESPN's ranking system is projecting into college, and the taller kids almost always get ranking bumps over higher skilled (in high school) players because it's assumed that they'll grow into their height. I really do think we might see Jersey's ranking go up over the next year.

Even WBB Blog has her at 6'2 still, and they've updated her commitment recently, but not her height.  So who knows!  Still anxiously awaiting the Maryam Dauda commitment ;)

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 03:38:57 pm »

Raoul has told me he is inherently skeptical of height claims that recruits make themselves. He wants to see someone else post it first. He and I actually exchanged messages about Jersey, and he wasn't having it about her being 6'4". 🤷‍♂️

flippinhogmana

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 04:31:33 pm »

I could pretty much guarantee she is at least 6-2+ (Ryne Howard height) and has shooting and ball handling skills of a point guard, any height and length above that is a plus.  But one other thing, you can use comparative heights as a measure.  If Mike is at least 5-10, then Jersey is at least 6-4 because she is an easy six inches taller than him, there is photographic evidence of that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:41:56 pm by flippinhogmana »

Hogfan_14

• Varsity
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 05:35:06 pm »

I would say at SOLID 6'4 based on comparative photos, like you said!  I've seen her standing right beside Goforth and was easily 3 inches taller than her.  This was March 7th of this year.

jackflash

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 11:48:30 am »

you know I am big on height but for me the big deal here she from Arkansas and she stay here to play

samhog49

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 05:38:14 pm »

She’s at least 6’4, prob a 6’5 and getting rim easy as of this past week. She’s a good 2-3 inches taller than McGhee.

Raoul has told me he is inherently skeptical of height claims that recruits make themselves. He wants to see someone else post it first. He and I actually exchanged messages about Jersey, and he wasn't having it about her being 6'4". 🤷‍♂️

logic

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 12:19:46 am »

Height helps, but even more important is that Jersey can play and with Dungee, Mason, Ramirez, Thomas, Spangler, and maybe Weaver graduating and/or leaving we really need for Jersey to come in and start as a freshman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas