• 10,957,130 Posts
• 425,786 Topics
• 24,875 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vietnam Vet Covid 19 Survivor  (Read 3214 times)

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • "You didn't choose me. I chose you." Coach Pittman
Vietnam Vet Covid 19 Survivor
« on: May 11, 2020, 03:10:57 pm »

Did anyone catch the segment on Little Rock’s KTHV 11 about the 63 year old Vietnam vet Being discharged after a 40 day hospital stay? I thought we pulled our troops out of Vietnam in 1973. That would make this guy 16 at that time. Saigon fell in 1975, would that have been a first duty assignment? He would have been 18 then.

The piece said he never took off his Vietnam Veterans cap.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/national/military-news/vietnam-veteran-heads-home-after-full-covid-19-recovery/91-32ab0e06-559b-401d-ab1f-081b392015cc

hawgrunner

Re: Vietnam Vet Covid 19 Survivor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:07:11 am »

Two issues... first bad reporting, second why dude wearing the hat?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Squealers

• Resident Wisenhiemer®
  • Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Squealers = Dedicated Razorback & Steeler Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 03:47:46 pm »

I am 63 and went into the USAF.  The Viet Nam era was over in June of 75, just when I graduated HS.  Unless he went in before he graduated, and even then, he would have had to be sent to theatre as they were sending troops home....I would need to see more of the story to understand how he ended up in Nam at his age.

husker71

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 06:54:06 pm »

It actually fell at the end of April 1975.  I was stationed at Navcommsta Philippines and they took 2 busloads of us down to Subic to help unload the people coming in on American ships.  This included non military ships that were out picking up those fleeing via small boats.  So when the boats would pull in Marines would go down a take a look around but always some dead in the bottom of the ship (boat)  some killed by other passengers.  Some had lots of US money on them in and we can guess where that came from but I never saw anybody take it away from them.  They did however take drugs away from them because I saw some come in with lots of drugs saying they were a doctor (may well have been I guess)   Ltjg Connor was in charge of us and he met this beautiful girl and they started to talk and I heard later that he went to the camps in Guam and got it arranged so she and he family could go and stay with his family in Ohio.  So I only worked till May 8th or so and my out date was May 31st so when I got back to the base they gave me the rest of my time off.  Just to let you know how bad the CIA was then in March they made an assesment that the South Vietnamese army could hold out until 1976  and within 3 weeks the NVA had already taken much territory and by the middle of April it was all gone more or less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas