• 10,286,959 Posts
• 418,363 Topics
• 24,955 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bobby is Working Hard on His Image  (Read 4279 times)

#hammerdown

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
Bobby is Working Hard on His Image
« on: February 12, 2020, 03:32:57 pm »

Didn't think I would ever see the day that CBP would have a twitter game  :)

https://twitter.com/CoachBPetrino

I hope he does well there.  Looks like he signed a kid out of Harber, Hunter Wood.

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
Re: Bobby is Working Hard on His Image
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 03:39:33 pm »

Great offensive mind but probably still a prick who had run out of coaches who would work for him, thus the reason he was reduced to hiring family members to fill out his staff.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Whole Hog half ham, Arkansas by damn.....!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:54:43 pm »

Great offensive mind but probably still a prick who had run out of coaches who would work for him, thus the reason he was reduced to hiring family members to fill out his staff.

Do what?  Just look at the head coaching greats from his coaching tree.  You had Garrick McGee to the University of Alabama!...at Birmingham...and it took him only 2 years to win 5 games!  Then there's the great job John L. Smith did by taking over Arkansas and beating Auburn.  Auburn!  Then he kicked ass at that huge program in Utah, and did so well there that KSU (Kentucky State) hired him and in 3rd season he damn-near won a game.  And let's not forget Paul the Apostle (who just by chance was BP's lil brutha) - he was snagged by one of the one or two schools in Idaho that play tackle football....and won a bowl game a few years ago (no joke there, that's actually true btw).

LumberBacks

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 05:06:46 pm »

Son is his O.C.  Son in law his DL coach.  All he needs is brother Paul to go to Missouri State to complete the family quadfecta.  How does Paul keep his job at Idaho with a 28-55 record?  He may very well be in Springfield next year. Will be interesting in 2022 if Bobby is still there when Mizzou Lite comes to Fayetteville.

PittOdomBriles

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:11:21 pm »

Do what?  Just look at the head coaching greats from his coaching tree.  You had Garrick McGee to the University of Alabama!...at Birmingham...and it took him only 2 years to win 5 games!  Then there's the great job John L. Smith did by taking over Arkansas and beating Auburn.  Auburn!  Then he kicked ass at that huge program in Utah, and did so well there that KSU (Kentucky State) hired him and in 3rd season he damn-near won a game.  And let's not forget Paul the Apostle (who just by chance was BP's lil brutha) - he was snagged by one of the one or two schools in Idaho that play tackle football....and won a bowl game a few years ago (no joke there, that's actually true btw).

What's Dabo Swinney's coaching tree look like?  Anyone other then Chex been a HC?  My gosh i doubt he is pounding his chest on that one

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 05:26:46 pm »

I suggest we don't scold ole Bobby too much.  He might decide to take it out on us when we meet on the field.  Poor slob knows how to get something from near nothing on offense.  If he should ever correct a few misgivings in his personal life and turn on the charm and recruit better, he could kick the crap out of many teams he shouldn't.  He knows how to move a football forward with the very best.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 05:28:33 pm »

Hope he never decides to become Sabans OC.  He would extend Saban's football life by 10 years unless they ended up fighting and one of them died of a heart attack.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 05:35:19 pm »

Will be interesting in 2022 if Bobby is still there when Mizzou Lite comes to Fayetteville.
Liberty goes to play Ole Miss in 2021. Will be interesting if Hugh Freeze stays there another season.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:49:24 pm »

What's Dabo Swinney's coaching tree look like?  Anyone other then Chex been a HC?  My gosh i doubt he is pounding his chest on that one

Frankly I wouldn't have any idea without looking it up, but I still assume you got my.....well, you know.

nuttless hog

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 06:53:05 pm »

I wonít scold ole old Bobby at all, we hired him to put a product on the field and he exceeded everyoneís expectations, unfortunately he wasnít politically correct especially with some of our so call sports reporters, and when he didnít watch his pís and qís, he had no support outside of some fans that wanted to give him a second chance

Athog

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 08:02:07 pm »

I suggest we don't scold ole Bobby too much.  He might decide to take it out on us when we meet on the field.  Poor slob knows how to get something from near nothing on offense.  If he should ever correct a few misgivings in his personal life and turn on the charm and recruit better, he could kick the crap out of many teams he shouldn't.  He knows how to move a football forward with the very best.

Yes but he has never wanted to have time spent on defense.

I_Called_That_Play_Brotha

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 08:11:32 pm »

I can't believe I'm saying this: he's paid his penance.

If my Hogs are past his leadership debacle?  I'm fine if he is, too.

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:30 pm »

I can't believe I'm saying this: he's paid his penance.

If my Hogs are past his leadership debacle?  I'm fine if he is, too.

Ditto. Kinda like how nutt is almost likable to some after the passage of time. Itís been almost ten years; he took us to heights unseen in the modern era. Iím over it, he may be a crappy person but heís always been an above average coach. Good Luck Bobby.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 10:36:44 pm »

Yes but he has never wanted to have time spent on defense.

He not have wanted to, but the numbers certainly back up that he did spend a pretty good amount of time coaching up the defense.

SooieGeneris

• Put On The Ol' Feedbag Boys, 270 lbers are passe!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 12:33:29 am »

Hope he never decides to become Sabans OC.  He would extend Saban's football life by 10 years unless they ended up fighting and one of them died of a heart attack.

You've got to be joking.. Talk about Clash Of The Titan Egos! Of all the things to worry about in this world that has to be about the least of our worries..It will never happen..

tusked

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 08:38:43 am »

Letís do what ever we can to minumalize the coach that led the hogs to the best 3 year run since they joined the SEC and highest national finish in 30 years.  Frick, fricken success

Doug

• Administrator
  • Pusillanimous Jackwagon Basher
    • GridironHistory.com
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 09:59:42 am »

Quote from: hawgmasta
Kinda like how nutt is almost likable to some after the passage of time.
13 years after the pusillanimous jackwagon left, and I will STILL say it.

Screw that dried up piece of monkey piss.

Nutt can rot in Ache Ee Ell Ell.

bkjbearcat

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 10:03:14 am »

Watch out North Dakota St.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 10:14:41 am »

13 years after the pusillanimous jackwagon left, and I will STILL say it.

Screw that dried up piece of monkey piss.

Nutt can rot in Ache Ee Ell Ell.

Come on, Doug. Holding a grudge is just going to make you a bitter person. Life is too short for that, bro.

micali

• My sharpie drawing.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 10:20:42 am »

Well Booby does win the games he should but cant beat the big boys. I bet by the time we meet we will have fixed most of the damage ole chad did and stomp CBP a new one.  I'd smile a little of that happens. I dont dislike CBP at all.

NWAlwyer

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:40 am »

Lot's of people poking fun at Bobby for hiring family when the Arkansas football program has been doing the same thing forever.  We had years of mediocre QB play from two sons of a staff member.  Admittedly the coaching staff/scheme was also responsible for the QB production/quality drop-off after 2011.   And until he was fired, we had another coach set to bring his QB son here.  There's plenty of other examples that escape me right now.  And besides, I'd take Paul Petrino over the jackwagon Joe Craddock every day of the week. 

Too early prediction:  Bobby P beats us next time we play.  I bet he gives Missou St. some of their best seasons in a long time.

HogPharmer

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 10:59:14 am »

In b4 Guv

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 11:05:16 am »

Didn't think I would ever see the day that CBP would have a twitter game  :)

https://twitter.com/CoachBPetrino

I hope he does well there.  Looks like he signed a kid out of Harber, Hunter Wood.

I talked to him a couple of weeks ago he checked in on me. It was very good to hear from him. I always really liked him when he was at Arkansas.

RyanMallettsEgo

• You'll get your chance, smart guy
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 11:08:07 am »

In b4 Guv

Off the top of your head, do you know our returning production vs. Ole Miss' returning production this year?

Thanks!

DukeOfPork

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 11:21:17 am »

Lot's of people poking fun at Bobby for hiring family when the Arkansas football program has been doing the same thing forever.  We had years of mediocre QB play from two sons of a staff member.  Admittedly the coaching staff/scheme was also responsible for the QB production/quality drop-off after 2011.   

Austin Allen had an offer from Alabama.
https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Allen-14696/high-school-4962/

And I was thinking that Brandon Allen had an offer from Alabama as well, but committed to us before his recruiting ever truly got going.

It didn't work out how we wanted, but both were well deserving of scholarships, regardless of who their dad was.

DukeOfPork

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 11:23:06 am »

I talked to him a couple of weeks ago he checked in on me. It was very good to hear from him. I always really liked him when he was at Arkansas.

I don't know what he was like off camera, but he always seemed to be very civil with the Press.  I know that he can be a tyrant coach like Saban, but he was always pretty patient with the Press, from what I remember (unlike Saban).

rzrbaxfan

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 11:26:02 am »

Ditto. Kinda like how nutt is almost likable to some after the passage of time. Itís been almost ten years; he took us to heights unseen in the modern era. Iím over it, he may be a crappy person but heís always been an above average coach. Good Luck Bobby.

Nutt will never be likable for me. Petrino made bad decisions with his personal life, but his on the field product was fun.  You can argue that he never beat bama, or that he peaked and was due for a decline...but he took our program to the highest it's been in this era of college football, and no one has been able to even come close to replicating that since then.

Nutt made bad decisions that directly impacted his on the field product, here and at Ole Miss.  That makes a big difference to how I perceive them after time has passed.  To me, I've healed enough with Bobby to publicly say that I wanted him back during the last 2 coaching searches.  I don't even want Nutt talking about our program on TV.  It's not a issue of holding a grudge or wounds not healed as much as it is that I really just don't like the guy. 

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 11:53:58 am »

Austin Allen had an offer from Alabama.
https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Allen-14696/high-school-4962/

And I was thinking that Brandon Allen had an offer from Alabama as well, but committed to us before his recruiting ever truly got going.

It didn't work out how we wanted, but both were well deserving of scholarships, regardless of who their dad was.

And Brandon is still earning an NFL paycheck so he must have at least a modicum of talent.

nuttless hog

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 11:57:31 am »

Bad decisions on the football field hurts your ticket sales, bad decisions off the field does not maybe your job security Except for some other sec schools

hvsupastar

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 12:01:45 pm »

Sorry but I think is pretty evident by his last stop, the came of football has surpassed bobby p.  And it couldn't have happened to a better person

AugustaHog

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 12:01:57 pm »

Bobby did a hell of a job while he was here.  That was the most fun that I've ever had as an Arkansas football fan.  DMac and Felix was a close second, but that never got the wins it should have.  I hold no ill will towards him.  He's a really good coach, but I'm not sure that his approach is sustainable in one place for very long.  He benefited from having a Mackey Award candidate at TE, Mallett falling in his lap, and a stable of elite WRs instate for his first class.  It would have been interesting to see how things would have aged had he continued for another 3-4 years.  2012 would have been without a doubt better than Smiley.

hvsupastar

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 12:03:16 pm »

Bobby did a hell of a job while he was here.  That was the most fun that I've ever had as an Arkansas football fan.  DMac and Felix was a close second, but that never got the wins it should have.  I hold no ill will towards him.  He's a really good coach, but I'm not sure that his approach is sustainable in one place for very long.  He benefited from having a Mackey Award candidate at TE, Mallett falling in his lap, and a stable of elite WRs instate for his first class.  It would have been interesting to see how things would have aged had he continued for another 3-4 years.  2012 would have been without a doubt better than Smiley.

DMAC's bunch won the west.  Bobby P never did.

nuttless hog

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 12:08:21 pm »

Before Sabanís time at Alabama

Pigcrazy

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 12:10:55 pm »

Bobby put himself in a position where ha has to work hard on his image.  Self inflicted wounds...  I wish him well in his endeavors, but really donít give a ratsó- how it turns out for him.  His actions tarnished the Razorback program with lasting effects over many years. 

hoglady

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 01:28:26 pm »

I don't know what he was like off camera, but he always seemed to be very civil with the Press.  I know that he can be a tyrant coach like Saban, but he was always pretty patient with the Press, from what I remember (unlike Saban).

Just don't wear a Florida Gator hat to a Razorback football press conference!!
I still love Petrino's response.

hoglady

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 01:33:19 pm »

Petrino was a fantastic coach in his time here.
Even his defense was better than just about everything we've seen since.
Bielema was good on D until Petrino's players were gone.

Love him or hate him - I dang sure miss his football teams.
His offense was the most exciting and fun offense I've ever seen at Arkansas.

nuttless hog

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 01:44:43 pm »

He was civil to the press in meetings but pertaining to his players the media had to go through him and he didnít make it easy, and thatís the rub the sports reporters had against him

HogPharmer

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 02:01:13 pm »

Off the top of your head, do you know our returning production vs. Ole Miss' returning production this year?

Thanks!

No clue. But I can tell you with absolute certainty, they've got no shot against our hogs this year. Starkel is going to bury them!

.....wait.

1highhog

• The Undefeated!
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 02:21:23 pm »

If I saw Nutt on the side of the road in a pouring down hail storm trying to thumb a ride, hell, I'd probably have a wreck trying to reach in the back for my now non- existent tire iron to throw out the window to hit that SOB in the head with.

DukeOfPork

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 03:09:01 pm »

Just don't wear a Florida Gator hat to a Razorback football press conference!!
I still love Petrino's response.

Ha, I thought of that as of I was typing that "civil to the Press" post.  But I remember that moment because it was totally unusual for him. 

And frankly, he was mostly just giving her a hard time; it wasn't malicious.

Of course, in retrospect, that may have just been flirting?   8)

Redhogs

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 03:11:03 pm »

If I saw Nutt on the side of the road in a pouring down hail storm trying to thumb a ride, hell, I'd probably have a wreck trying to reach in the back for my now non- existent tire iron to throw out the window to hit that SOB in the head with.
Very disturbing.....

1highhog

• The Undefeated!
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 04:02:52 pm »

Very disturbing.....

Why, because I don't carry a tire iron anymore?  These new vehicles don't have them.

EastexHawg

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2020, 04:18:38 pm »

Mallett didn't fall into his lap, he transferred to Arkansas from Michigan to play in Petrino's offense.  As for the incredible instate recruits, who can forget the magnificent NFL careers they have had since leaving?

That's meant to be funny, but what isn't funny is the out-of-state talent he brought in:

Knile Davis
Jonathan Williams
Travis Swanson
Alvin Bailey
Trey Flowers
Darius Philon
Deatrich Wise
Chris Smith
Cobi Hamilton
Keon Hatcher
Kiero Small
Jared Collins
Jerico Nelson
Rohan Gaines
Tevin Mitchel

As for not caring about defense, when was the last time we had that kind of talent on that side of the ball?  Who was our last coach to recruit five NFL defensive linemen from out of state?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2020, 04:31:06 pm »

And Bielema won the Big 10 3 times in a row before coming here.

SEC was very different in Nutt's time than Petrino's.

Heck, if Bielema came here 15 years earlier, he probably would have won the west more than Nutt (assuming he avoided becoming an alcoholic).

1highhog

• The Undefeated!
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2020, 04:50:46 pm »

And Bielema won the Big 10 3 times in a row before coming here.

SEC was very different in Nutt's time than Petrino's.

Heck, if Bielema came here 15 years earlier, he probably would have won the west more than Nutt (assuming he avoided becoming an alcoholic).

This ^^^^^^^^!  I get so tired of Nutt Hugger's bringing up this mess about what Nutt supposedly accomplished.  He had some of the best talent this State has ever produced in the weakest era of the SEC West.

wachhog

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 04:57:58 pm »

I wonít scold ole old Bobby at all, we hired him to put a product on the field and he exceeded everyoneís expectations, unfortunately he wasnít politically correct especially with some of our so call sports reporters, and when he didnít watch his pís and qís, he had no support outside of some fans that wanted to give him a second chance
This.
Iíll be cheering for him just because some on
HOGVILLE  detested him so much.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 05:52:42 pm »

True.  But Bobby's teams got better as the season progressed, and they finished strong.  DMAC's coach notoriously fell apart at the end of the year.

HogBreath

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 08:16:01 pm »

One of Bobby P's teams went to a BCS game...the other guy, not so much.

Bobby P's team had another season where they finished in the top 5, the other guy...nada.

Bobby P did this in only 4 seasons,  things the other guy couldn't accomplish in 10 years.

Both had girlfriends, Bobby P got fired for his, the other guy....not so much.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 08:31:31 pm »

Before Sabanís time at Alabama

True. FWIW, in Bobbyís two best years (2010 & 2011), Saban didnít win the West either.

DukeOfPork

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:07 pm »

Both had girlfriends, Bobby P got fired for his, the other guy....not so much.

Well, BP didn't get fired over simply having a girlfriend.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas