• 10,796,468 Posts
• 421,238 Topics
• 24,754 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest H.S.  (Read 3220 times)

ricepig

Re: Southwest H.S.
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2020, 03:29:00 pm »

Actually, the larger the school, the worse they treat officials has been my experience. Your experience is no different than what we deal with here in FS. Almost have to beg for water at NS and SS, JRHS are a little better, but not much. Meanwhile, go to Hackett or Lavaca, always a good pre game meal in football for the refs, and they take care of you in bball, even if you are just there calling 7th grade.

Hmm, we always provided a pre-game meal for the officials, same for the press box. Iím not 100% sure what they got in basketball, but in baseball they got the same meal we fed the players between games.

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • If she ain't foreign she borin'
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2020, 03:58:16 pm »

Actually, the larger the school, the worse they treat officials has been my experience. Your experience is no different than what we deal with here in FS. Almost have to beg for water at NS and SS, JRHS are a little better, but not much. Meanwhile, go to Hackett or Lavaca, always a good pre game meal in football for the refs, and they take care of you in bball, even if you are just there calling 7th grade.

We get $100 or $110 for a 2 game 3 man varsity night. I call mostly for one association, they keep me busy enough that I don't free lance much, but the times I have the pay was about the same. The big deal is most schools in our association pay travel, but many in other areas do not.

I was at a school a couple weeks for JV, the crew that came in behind us all had a minimum 65 mile drive, no travel. 130+ mile rnd trip for $110 is a stretch.
What the best places you've been in Arkansas hospitality wise?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2020, 04:53:24 pm »

Poyen was always good.  Clinton was very good also and their gym was awesome. Worked a quadruple OT SR. girls game there once. Didn't get paid for a game and a half though ???. White County Central was really good if you worked on Friday night.  Had fresh catfish fried onsite.

Most anyplace north of I 40 and west of US 49 were good for hospitality. South of 40 (LR included) and east Arkansas beyond Lonoke County was weak.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2020, 09:10:10 pm »

Football probably Jessieville for food. Paris for lockerroom. Cedarville is nice, they actually put us un the old superintendent house and we all have a room to our selves. Feed us Zaxby's. Bauxite took care of us my one trip there.

Basketball, - greenwood. They run a hospitality room every varsity night.

I've yet to go to an A or AA school in either sport that didnt make a good effort to treat us well, even for 7th/8th grade games.

Now baseball is a whole different experience.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2020, 09:12:15 pm »

Hmm, we always provided a pre-game meal for the officials, same for the press box. Iím not 100% sure what they got in basketball, but in baseball they got the same meal we fed the players between games.

I have never been fed a meal at a baseball game in AR. Only place I have in baseball was a tourney in Gore, Ok.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2020, 09:54:37 pm »

Is Conway considered part of central Ark? I have lived out of state since the 80's but I considered Conway central Ark. What kind of a program do they have? Seems like I remember Cabot winning a few state championships, what's up with them?
Yes, Conway is part of the Little Rock Metro Area, statistically.

Both Conway and Cabot have exploded, but they're still affectionately Corn-way and Cow-butt to me.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2020, 09:56:49 pm »

Just like with the 'new math' being taught our children, I am dubious that McClellan (rated as an F) and Fair (rated as an F) being melded together with shiny new walls and spiffy amenities will become anything other than a stronger 'F'. My Baseline Elementary, Cloverdale Junior High and McClellan math tells me F x F = F squared.
Hope I am wrong but McClellan produced in my lifetime, Bobby King and Andre Akee so not a lot of Razorback tradition being brought to the hill. I suppose Cobbs from Fair is enough of a legacy to give that school credence. I'm sure I missed a couple of others.

Anyway - I wish them the best but I would not hold my breath on vast improvements for D1 talent.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/education/8-in-little-rock-school-district-receive-f-letter-grades-following-act-aspire-tests/91-a7a1d7f3-5c74-403c-8fe4-3ca753e66e07
Remember, in the 80s and 90s, JA Fair was the new school with all the bells and whistles.
Now, it's a dump and no one wants to be there.

Point is, building a new school that is shiny will look good for a couple of years, but really, the school is as good as the kids who go there, no matter how pretty the paint job is. So, if these are bad kids, that school will look like JA Fair now in about 15 years.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2020, 09:59:01 pm »

Not really a complex problem. In the name of desegregation, John Walker, along with his merry band, decided to upset the apple cart about 35 or so years ago and is the direct cause of this downfall. Along with the teachers union, which protects incompetence and laziness thus the teachers have no fear of losing their jobs, and Walker's lawsuits, which have drained almost a billion dollars from the LRSD and taxpayers in the state of Arkansas (regardless of living in LR), you have what you have today. And it's still going.

The LRSD is more segregated today than in 1985.  In addition, private school enrollment and school choice have further decimated the LRSD. How in the hell can Bryant, with a population of 21,000, have an enrollment within 50 of the enrollment of Conway, when Conway has a population of 66,000? Oh, before some smart ass responds with private schools, the combined enrollment is 185 for Conway Christian and St. Joseph.

The biggest eye opener for me was officiating basketball in the LRSD. I won't go into detail but it isn't pretty. For instance, in the LRSD, the officials MIGHT be offered a single bottle of water over the course of 2-3 games. Go a few miles SW to Poyen and there's a spread to feed an army. The point is there is no spirit of community in the LRSD and like it or not, that's important. Just look across the river in NLR to see a huge difference.
Yep....racial politics makes the LRSD nearly a hopeless case.
Parkview and Central are good schools, though.

Everything is political in LR, which is why the private schools are thriving, and nothing much gets done in the public schools.

hoglady

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2020, 08:31:07 am »

The only thing that happened to Fair and McClellan was LRSD took them over from Pulaski County.
They were fine schools before then - racially balanced and well run / as were all the others in SWLR prior LRSD control.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:41 am »

McClellan has been successful over the last 5 years (42-19), played for a state title in the last 2-3 years and made the semis in the same time frame. Maurice Moody apparently didn't apply for the SW job and was recently hired at Jacksonville.

If the kids who played at McClellan continue to participate and add the kids from Fair, this has the potential to be a good program IF the LRSD doesn't make its usual effort to kill it.

ricepig

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2020, 09:12:17 am »

I have never been fed a meal at a baseball game in AR. Only place I have in baseball was a tourney in Gore, Ok.

We feed the umpires between games, if they want it. Itís usually just the hamburgers/hot dogs they cook to sell to fans, and feed the team.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2020, 09:43:42 am »

Speaking of LR schools...does anyone believe the recent two-day closure was truly a result of sickness?

With all the flu going around, I didn't think anything of it at the time.
In hindsight, though, I don't believe it at all. I think this was another 'strike' similar to the one last year organized by the teachers' union.

Reasons:
1)There's already been one strike day
2)The spokesperson has been quoted as saying more actions are possible, if not probable, but wouldn't say what/when they were coming
3)The superintendent has said before that teachers who call in sick but are seen picketing or in public are subject to punishment
4)The spokesperson when asked for comment if this was a 'sickout', made a brief comment on the flu, but then went into another comment '....there is another kind of sickness going around....'  i.e. referring to the disputes between LRSD and the teachers union (LRSD decertified the teachers union last fall)

I have little doubt this was a 'sickout'. But instead of doing a public thing and risk retribution, they kept it more secretive this time.

If so, though, it was very effective. They got the entire school system shut down for two whole days. It was a major disruption, and totally duped everyone.

Cotton

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2020, 09:56:55 am »

Football probably Jessieville for food. Paris for lockerroom. Cedarville is nice, they actually put us un the old superintendent house and we all have a room to our selves. Feed us Zaxby's. Bauxite took care of us my one trip there.

Basketball, - greenwood. They run a hospitality room every varsity night.

I've yet to go to an A or AA school in either sport that didnt make a good effort to treat us well, even for 7th/8th grade games.

Now baseball is a whole different experience.
Sounds like your area is mostly central and western AR?

Cotton

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2020, 09:57:32 am »

Poyen was always good.  Clinton was very good also and their gym was awesome. Worked a quadruple OT SR. girls game there once. Didn't get paid for a game and a half though ???. White County Central was really good if you worked on Friday night.  Had fresh catfish fried onsite.

Most anyplace north of I 40 and west of US 49 were good for hospitality. South of 40 (LR included) and east Arkansas beyond Lonoke County was weak.
Clinton's gym is awesome for such a small place.  One of the first I remember with that new bowl style.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2020, 09:58:52 am »

Sounds like your area is mostly central and western AR?

Yep, never called a game east of LR. Based out of FS.

#hammerdown

• Hogvillian
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2020, 10:21:42 am »

Speaking of LR schools...does anyone believe the recent two-day closure was truly a result of sickness?

In hindsight, though, I don't believe it at all. I think this was another 'strike' similar to the one last year organized by the teachers' union.

Reasons:
2)The spokesperson has been quoted as saying more actions are possible, if not probable, but wouldn't say what/when they were coming
3)The superintendent has said before that teachers who call in sick but are seen picketing or in public are subject to punishment
4)The spokesperson when asked for comment if this was a 'sickout', made a brief comment on the flu, but then went into another comment '....there is another kind of sickness going around....'  i.e. referring to the disputes between LRSD and the teachers union (LRSD decertified the teachers union last fall)

I have little doubt this was a 'sickout'. But instead of doing a public thing and risk retribution, they kept it more secretive this time.

If so, though, it was very effective. They got the entire school system shut down for two whole days. It was a major disruption, and totally duped everyone.

First thing I thought when I heard it on the news.  And I haven't even been keeping up with the disputes.  It just seemed like a "blue flu" kind of thing.

Cotton

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:44 am »

Yep, never called a game east of LR. Based out of FS.
Makes sense monetarily.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2020, 10:29:12 am »

Makes sense monetarily.

We are so short handed in this area I get more games offered than I can take. No need to travel. 

hoglady

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »

Reasons:

LRSD = constant drama over something.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2020, 08:25:09 pm »

Yes, Conway is part of the Little Rock Metro Area, statistically.

Both Conway and Cabot have exploded, but they're still affectionately Corn-way and Cow-butt to me.
You sound like a Jacksonville man. Only place Iíve heard Cow-Butt

UnknownNobody

• Iím a Dapper Dan Man!
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2020, 08:48:24 pm »

You sound like a Jacksonville man. Only place Iíve heard Cow-Butt

Meh...Iím from LR and still call Cabot Cow-but

RockyMtnHog

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:12 pm »

As LR Central alum,  really miss the days in winning football there.

Back in the 70's, L.R. Central, L.R. Hall and L.R. Parkview produced a ton of Arkansas commits.  L.R. Central was the most feared team around when Wilson Matthews was the HC.

galactivation

• Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2020, 10:20:08 pm »

Good ol Daryl Patton.

impact

• Varsity
  • Worfhog Pimpin in Pantone 201
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2020, 12:49:18 am »

Back in the 70's, L.R. Central, L.R. Hall and L.R. Parkview produced a ton of Arkansas commits.  L.R. Central was the most feared team around when Wilson Matthews was the HC.

Bernie Cox, CW Keopple and Sam Goodwin coached Central, Hall and Parkview in the 70's. Wilson Matthews was at LR Central from 1945 to 1957...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas