• 10,243,743 Posts
• 416,838 Topics
• 24,904 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: money pools and prices  (Read 418 times)

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
money pools and prices
« on: February 10, 2020, 12:48:18 pm »

Looks like while the P4 & P5 pools have increased 100% or more this year the payouts have dropped over the last couple years.  Looks like we have been discovered by some of the bigger players.  Might just be time to hang up my betting.

heavylifting

• Senior
Re: money pools and prices
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:32 pm »

Looks like while the P4 & P5 pools have increased 100% or more this year the payouts have dropped over the last couple years.  Looks like we have been discovered by some of the bigger players.  Might just be time to hang up my betting.
Aren't you one of the guys who's always panting about the possibility of a turf course at Oaklawn Park?

If you want this track to go "undiscovered," then you better hope they never put one in. 

I know many people who won't even look at races from Oaklawn -- save some of the stakes races -- because there's no turf racing. Makes no sense to me, but that's how some people roll.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldman1015

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 06:06:18 am »

Hard to bet a pick 5 with 5 horse fields. Im sure were getting some New York money.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 06:13:51 am »

Aren't you one of the guys who's always panting about the possibility of a turf course at Oaklawn Park?

If you want this track to go "undiscovered," then you better hope they never put one in. 

I know many people who won't even look at races from Oaklawn -- save some of the stakes races -- because there's no turf racing. Makes no sense to me, but that's how some people roll.

Yes I am because I like betting turf races.  That said it is a double edge sword as you mentioned but the pools are double or more what they were in the past. They did 5 million handle opening day. Unheard of.  Its all off track

Hard to bet a pick 5 with 5 horse fields. Im sure were getting some New York money.

You couldn't pay me to paly Aqueduct.   And SA is a joke too.  The first race the other day was a 5F turf race and they had 11 horses entered but were only letting 8 run as 3 were AE.  WTH is that.  Took a great betting race and ruined it.

heavylifting

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 01:36:13 am »

Do you suppose that cross country Pick 5 that Oaklawn participates in with Aqueduct has a lot to do with the situation you described?

I suspect that a lot of Aqueduct players, who are hungering for more than the meager offerings available among the short fields in New York, look at that particular Pick 5, study the Oaklawn races that are in the sequence and then, maybe, add money in other pools (WPS, exacta, trifecta, etc.).

Could be that a lot of people who would never look at Oaklawn are now interested because of the association with some races from Aqueduct.  A pretty savvy move by the Oaklawn braintrust.

Also, the fact that a lot of California trainers are now stabling at Oaklawn and running their horses there has probably drawn the attention of California bettors. About the only thing missing is Baffert sending a string to Hot Springs. And then you have Golden Gate Fields being down all last last week because of gas line problems. People are looking for deep, competitive fields and Oaklawn has them.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 08:15:27 am »

Also, the fact that a lot of California trainers are now stabling at Oaklawn and running their horses there has probably drawn the attention of California bettors. About the only thing missing is Baffert sending a string to Hot Springs. And then you have Golden Gate Fields being down all last last week because of gas line problems. People are looking for deep, competitive fields and Oaklawn has them.

I would say it is mostly this.  Good for Oaklawn but bad for us local bettors that play 50 cent P4 and not $5 P4.

kingoftherapids

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 08:17:15 pm »

Early p5 at gulf pair 216k today

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 05:36:25 am »

Early p5 at gulf pair 216k today

1 winning ticket   4 of 5 paid $696  P4 paid 26k   6 winning tickets

$9.40   12 horse field   This was the 3rd betting choice   
$14.40  8 horses   5th choice
$28.40 11 horses
$27.00 7 horses   1 horse in the field with bigger odds
$28.20 10 horses    even money favorite ran 4th.. I wonder what the favorite would have paid.

BTW I am not saying there won't be big payouts I have just noticed the 1 15-1 shot doesn't boost the payouts like in years past or beating the favs and hitting all 4 in the 4-10/1 range
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas