• 10,843,227 Posts
• 422,439 Topics
• 24,797 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask Mike is up: 01-21  (Read 512 times)

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I_Called_That_Play_Brotha

• Varsity
  • Called it right from "jump."
Re: Ask Mike is up: 01-21
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:32:41 pm »

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

revolution

• Hogvillian
  • Change is inevitable; growth is optional.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:47:08 am »

Always enjoy this feature!  Thanks for your thoughts and insights, Mike!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 09:43:24 am »

Great job Mike. Sorry you were ill. Glad to hear you say you are fine now.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:29:33 pm »

There’s one game no one talks much about that would change the way our program is viewed by outsiders. If I could change one game it would probably be the 1966 Cotton Bowl. We would have been undisputed champs and could claim back-to-back NCs. 

Arkansas was on a 22-game winning streak on January 1, 1966 and was fresh off a season ending 42-24 win over 9th ranked Texas Tech. They had beaten #1-ranked Texas 27-24 earlier in Austin. They had the top-scoring offense in the country. They scored first against 7-3 LSU and dominated the stats, but they lost a fumble on their own 34 three plays after starting QB Jon Brittenum left the game with a shoulder injury. LSU converted the fumble into the game winning TD and won 14-7.

Alabama finished first in the AP final poll at 9-1-1.  The only ranked team they played was 3rd-ranked Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. 

Arkansas was close a few times in the 60’s to an NC with one game making the difference. The 1977 Texas game was another.  Earl Campbell was the difference that day in the Longhorn’s 13-9 win in Fayetteville. Steve Little and Russell Erxleben put on a show.  Little hit from 67 and Erxleben hit from 58 and 52.

Good times coming again.

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 03:27:47 pm »

There’s one game no one talks much about that would change the way our program is viewed by outsiders. If I could change one game it would probably be the 1966 Cotton Bowl. We would have been undisputed champs and could claim back-to-back NCs. 

Arkansas was on a 22-game winning streak on January 1, 1966 and was fresh off a season ending 42-24 win over 9th ranked Texas Tech. They had beaten #1-ranked Texas 27-24 earlier in Austin. They had the top-scoring offense in the country. They scored first against 7-3 LSU and dominated the stats, but they lost a fumble on their own 34 three plays after starting QB Jon Brittenum left the game with a shoulder injury. LSU converted the fumble into the game winning TD and won 14-7.

Alabama finished first in the AP final poll at 9-1-1.  The only ranked team they played was 3rd-ranked Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. 

Arkansas was close a few times in the 60’s to an NC with one game making the difference. The 1977 Texas game was another.  Earl Campbell was the difference that day in the Longhorn’s 13-9 win in Fayetteville. Steve Little and Russell Erxleben put on a show.  Little hit from 67 and Erxleben hit from 58 and 52.

Good times coming again.
Here's my story of the game Arkansas SHOULD have played in next. The 1970 Cotton Bowl vs Notre Dame.

I was attending North Texas State but working at a downtown department store in Ft. Worth. My favorite uncle was an accident investigator for the US Postal Service in Ft. Worth so I spent a lot of time with him.

New Year's day I drove down from Denton to watch the game with him. He was a TCU fan but highly annoyed that I was pulling for Notre Dame. I tried to explain that the Russians could be playing Texas and I would be for the Russians.

So Notre Dame scored late to take the lead. The my uncle figured that the Wishbone was too much of a  ball control offense for Texas to go down the field quickly enough to win the game. He was so mad when Notre Dame scored that he kicked the TV. The screen went blank and he stormed out of the house.

I looked at back of the TV and sure enough his kick had pressed the reset button. I switched it back on and was highly annoyed to watch Texas go right down the field and score to win the game.

My uncle returned a few minutes late and could see that I was pissed. "What's wrong with you?" he asked. " I thought you wanted Notre Dame to win."

"I did and they didn't," I shot back.

I then explained how I got the TV back on only to watch Texas come back and win the national championship. His face got beet red as he said, "GREAT AND I *%*# MISSED IT!" He then charged the TV and kicked it again.

After he calmed down I showed him how to locate the reset button.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 05:34:55 pm »

Here's my story of the game Arkansas SHOULD have played in next. The 1970 Cotton Bowl vs Notre Dame.

I was attending North Texas State but working at a downtown department store in Ft. Worth. My favorite uncle was an accident investigator for the US Postal Service in Ft. Worth so I spent a lot of time with him.

New Year's day I drove down from Denton to watch the game with him. He was a TCU fan but highly annoyed that I was pulling for Notre Dame. I tried to explain that the Russians could be playing Texas and I would be for the Russians.

So Notre Dame scored late to take the lead. The my uncle figured that the Wishbone was too much of a  ball control offense for Texas to go down the field quickly enough to win the game. He was so mad when Notre Dame scored that he kicked the TV. The screen went blank and he stormed out of the house.

I looked at back of the TV and sure enough his kick had pressed the reset button. I switched it back on and was highly annoyed to watch Texas go right down the field and score to win the game.

My uncle returned a few minutes late and could see that I was pissed. "What's wrong with you?" he asked. " I thought you wanted Notre Dame to win."

"I did and they didn't," I shot back.

I then explained how I got the TV back on only to watch Texas come back and win the national championship. His face got beet red as he said, "GREAT AND I *%*# MISSED IT!" He then charged the TV and kicked it again.

After he calmed down I showed him how to locate the reset button.

That’s a great story. Sounds like something that I might have done once upon a time. Might do it now, but it would be over a computer.

My grandparents bought a new color console TV the week of the 1969 Michigan/Ohio State game. We all gathered around as Michigan upset Ohio State to set up the 1 vs. 2 Big Shootout.  I remember my mom crying when we lost. I was 7.

I almost mentioned that I’d choose ‘66 Cotton Bowl if I had to pick one game because there were no more games standing between us and a NC. I don’t know whether we would have beaten Notre Dame, but I do remember Chris Schenkel talking about Ara Parseghian and how Notre Dame had refused to go to bowl games for many years. I hated Texas worse than boiled okra and my grandmother was an Irish Catholic, so I was all for Notre Dame on that one.

I remember the Sugar Bowl and the duel between Archie Manning and Bill Montgomery better than I do the Big Shootout. They both threw for about 250 yards as I recall. That was a lot for those days. Arkansas seemed to move the ball all day, but Bill McClard had a bad day and Ole Miss led 24-6 before we started coming back, only to lose 27-22.

I couldn’t wait for the Stanford game to start the 1970 season. I read everything Orville Henry wrote about Jim Plunkett. My favorite part of the game was the halftime show. Stanford’s band marched in SCUBA gear. I also remember Bill Montgomery leading a great second half comeback that fell a yard or so short and my grandfather saying “Football is a game of inches” as we walked to the car.

I think those three games - three dramatic losses in a row on college football’s big stage - must have affected me and all of us who were developing our bond with the Razorbacks at that time. It might be why I expected something bad to happen when that foul ball was in the air. And why I’m still not so sure Scotty Thurman made that 3-pointer. I check the dresser drawer where I keep the April 5, 1994 issue of the Democrat Gazette now and then just to be sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas