General Sports Discussion > NFL Board

Great KC Chiefs trivia question

(1/2) > >>

SooieGeneris:
The question is: who was the last Chiefs starting QB before Patrick Mahomes who was drafted by the Chiefs ?

I'll guarantee that without looking it up no one but a maniacal KC fan would know the answer..

I had completely forgotten about the guy.. Hint: he played college ball in the SEC, but not here..

Atlhogfan1:
Croyle 

hoggusamoungus:
Bray from Tennessee (I live in Nashville)

BudHawg:
I would say Chase Daniel

BudHawg:

--- Quote from: BudHawg on January 19, 2020, 06:01:46 pm ---I would say Chase Daniel

--- End quote ---

Never mind misread the question he wasn’t drafted by them.

ricepig:
Lenny Dawson?

BudHawg:

--- Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 19, 2020, 05:38:58 pm ---Bray from Tennessee (I live in Nashville)

--- End quote ---

Big Chiefs fan here and, I  may be wrong but I don’t remember him ever starting a game for them.

BudHawg:

--- Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 19, 2020, 05:36:39 pm ---Croyle

--- End quote ---

I’m going to agree with you. I can remember one season where he battled with Huard all year. Maybe 2007 or 2008. Something like that

majestic:
Blundin.

(notOM)Rebel123:
It’s Croyle. He started 1 game in 2010.
Had to look it up though.

elksnort:

--- Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2020, 06:06:01 pm ---Lenny Dawson?

--- End quote ---
have you ever seen the photo of Lenny Dawson having a cigarette on the bench when he played for the Chiefs?

ricepig:

--- Quote from: elksnort on January 19, 2020, 06:42:35 pm --- have you ever seen the photo of Lenny Dawson having a cigarette on the bench when he played for the Chiefs?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I thought it was in the locker room, but was the norm in the late 60’s, crazy.

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2020, 07:00:50 pm ---Yeah, I thought it was in the locker room, but was the norm in the late 60’s, crazy.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, drinking a Fresca too. Halftime of the Super Bowl I think.

majestic:

--- Quote from: elksnort on January 19, 2020, 06:42:35 pm --- have you ever seen the photo of Lenny Dawson having a cigarette on the bench when he played for the Chiefs?

--- End quote ---
I remember that being Kenny Stabler for the Raiders. I could be wrong.

(notOM)Rebel123:
Here’s Dawson’s pic...

rinds:
He calls football games for ESPN :), He has called some Hog games too.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 19, 2020, 07:13:20 pm ---Here’s Dawson’s pic...

--- End quote ---

Well, the Packers did smoke them 35-10.

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: rinds on January 19, 2020, 07:14:55 pm ---He calls football games for ESPN :), He has called some Hog games too.

--- End quote ---

If you are referring to Blackledge, he played at Penn State. He did start for KC, but Croyle was the last before Mahomes.

nuttless hog:
For all the Dallas Cowboy fans, General sports is where this belongs

rinds:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 19, 2020, 07:21:43 pm ---If you are referring to Blackledge, he played at Penn State. He did start for KC, but Croyle was the last before Mahomes.

--- End quote ---

I don't think Croyle ever started.

SooieGeneris:
The first answer was correct, Brodie Croyle. I had forgotten he ever even played in the NFL and don't recall much about his Alabama days.

You know you're getting old when you recall more about Freddie Kitchens in college in the 90s than a guy who has been out of football just a little over a decade.

For years, the old joke about Chiefs' QBs was they waited to see who the 49ers drafted to see who their QB would be in 5 years or so.

Steve DeBerg was a undrafted free agent who started out with Dallas but started his first game as a 49er, then went to KC for 4-5 years.

Steve Bono, SF to KC. Bono might have been drafted by another team but never played until he got to SF.

Elvis Grbac SF to KC. Drafted by SF.

Joe Montana from SF to KC. Drafted by SF.

Alex Smith from SF to KC. Drafted by SF.

I've never seen a team go after warm bodies just because they have been with a certain other team like the Chiefs did with QBs from SF for so long.

Grbac was a system QB who would chuck and duck under pressure, Montana was at the end of the line although he did get the Chiefs 2 playoff wins.

Alex Smith will forever be known as the most mediocre #1 pick in the draft. Not the worst by a long shot, that would be JaMarcus Russell, but one of the most mediocre Charlie Check Down QBs of all time.

Steve Bono was kind of a white wine sipping snob and caused a stir in KC when he reportedly said the worst restaurant in SF was better than the best restaurant in KC. Great PR move when you go to a new city..

I thought the Chiefs might have overpaid a bit to give up what they did to get Mahomes. Silly me. The real joke is on the Bears who could have had Mahomes at #3 and traded 2-3 draft picks to move up one spot to take Mitch Trubiscuit.

Imagine being the GM who has to explain that move 3-4 years into their careers..

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: rinds on January 19, 2020, 07:30:28 pm ---I don't think Croyle ever started.

--- End quote ---

According to Pro-Football-Reference he did.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CroyBr00.htm

Doug:

--- Quote from: nuttless hog ---For all the Dallas Cowboy fans, General sports is where this belongs
--- End quote ---
For all the clueless Hogvillians, knowing the trends of Hogville before you open your mouth and insert your feet (or type literal nonsense) is awesome. :)

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: nuttless hog on January 19, 2020, 07:25:32 pm ---For all the Dallas Cowboy fans, General sports is where this belongs

--- End quote ---

“Pssst....Nuttless. Yeah, over here. Hey, there’s a NFL forum too. Okay buddy?” 😉

Atlhogfan1:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 19, 2020, 07:34:08 pm ---The first answer was correct, Brodie Croyle. I had forgotten he ever even played in the NFL and don't recall much about his Alabama days.

You know you're getting old when you recall more about Freddie Kitchens in college in the 90s than a guy who has been out of football just a little over a decade.

For years, the old joke about Chiefs' QBs was they waited to see who the 49ers drafted to see who their QB would be in 5 years or so.

Steve DeBerg was a undrafted free agent who started out with Dallas but started his first game as a 49er, then went to KC for 4-5 years.

Steve Bono, SF to KC. Bono might have been drafted by another team but never played until he got to SF.

Elvis Grbac SF to KC. Drafted by SF.

Joe Montana from SF to KC. Drafted by SF.

Alex Smith from SF to KC. Drafted by SF.

I've never seen a team go after warm bodies just because they have been with a certain other team like the Chiefs did with QBs from SF for so long.

Grbac was a system QB who would chuck and duck under pressure, Montana was at the end of the line although he did get the Chiefs 2 playoff wins.

Alex Smith will forever be known as the most mediocre #1 pick in the draft. Not the worst by a long shot, that would be JaMarcus Russell, but one of the most mediocre Charlie Check Down QBs of all time.

Steve Bono was kind of a white wine sipping snob and caused a stir in KC when he reportedly said the worst restaurant in SF was better than the best restaurant in KC. Great PR move when you go to a new city..

I thought the Chiefs might have overpaid a bit to give up what they did to get Mahomes. Silly me. The real joke is on the Bears who could have had Mahomes at #3 and traded 2-3 draft picks to move up one spot to take Mitch Trubiscuit.

Imagine being the GM who has to explain that move 3-4 years into their careers..

--- End quote ---

Bless your hearts Chief fans. I almost feel bad reading that. 

PORKULATOR:
Todd Blackledge was my guess. I'd forgotten about Croyle.

DukeOfPork:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 19, 2020, 07:34:08 pm ---

--- End quote ---

Alex Smith is 94-66 as a starter in the NFL.  That's a solid NFL career.

Granted, he is not a transformational QB that would put you over the top.  But I think he compares favorably with a lot of recent #1 QB picks:

Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Jameis Winston
David Carr

You always hope the top pick in the draft is an elite player.  But honestly, very few #1 QBs have lived up to that description.  Alex Smith has been more solid than most of them.

oldrazorband:
Great story about Brodie Croyle.  His dad founded a ranch for abused kids which Brodie runs now. He spoke at my church a few years ago.

Here’s an article that I found (which apparently, to my surprise, is from when he spoke at my church).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/yellowhammernews.com/former-bama-qb-now-guardian-angel-hundreds-troubled-kids/amp/

bennyl08:

--- Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 19, 2020, 08:31:04 pm ---Alex Smith is 94-66 as a starter in the NFL.  That's a solid NFL career.

Granted, he is not a transformational QB that would put you over the top.  But I think he compares favorably with a lot of recent #1 QB picks:

Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Jameis Winston
David Carr

You always hope the top pick in the draft is an elite player.  But honestly, very few #1 QBs have lived up to that description.  Alex Smith has been more solid than most of them.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. To put Alex Smith in comparison, he is to a good approximation, the Darren McFadden of QB's. Move beyond the injuries more to why was Dmac always injured? Bad surrounding team. When he had Tom Cable and a good offensive line, he had that one good season with the raiders. He had that one good season with the cowboys when he was surrounded by talent. However, unlike say Adrian Peterson, McFadden wasn't able to make his OL look better than it was and while he certainly had the talent that you remember the small handful of good seasons or the few good games he had speaks volumes.

Same with Smith. Most of his career, he has had jack all to work with. Some terrible coaches and a dearth of playmakers to get the ball to. That said, a trait of a very good QB is they raise the apparent quality of the players around them. Smith, did not have that trait. However, once they finally had a good coach in Harbaugh, and got a couple weapons, suddenly Alex Smith had time to throw the ball deeper than just a check down and was able to make some plays. I still remember the Saints playoff game against the Niners where Alex Smith straight up, single handedly out-dueled Drew Brees. He was breaking 20-30 yard runs, hitting deep passes on a dime, and straight up balling out. Fast forward to him being in KC and they had nobody to throw to at first too. But, he won games. Then, his last season in KC, now they had Tyreek Hill and Kelce at TE and "check-down" Smith was objectively the best deep ball passer in the NFL that season. He had something like the highest percentage of his passes being deep and the best efficiency when throwing deep.

Like McFadden, Smith's good games here and there and a good season or two stick out because, not gonna lie, most of them weren't that. But he certainly showed the ability to be a top passer when given the tools, he just wasn't good enough to be a top passer without those tools. As a razorback, we tend to blame the terrible team surrounding McFadden for his lack of success in the NFL, but with non-razorbacks, we typically don't give the same nuance.

DukeOfPork:

--- Quote from: bennyl08 on January 19, 2020, 10:04:52 pm ---Agreed. To put Alex Smith in comparison, he is to a good approximation, the Darren McFadden of QB's. Move beyond the injuries more to why was Dmac always injured? Bad surrounding team. When he had Tom Cable and a good offensive line, he had that one good season with the raiders. He had that one good season with the cowboys when he was surrounded by talent. However, unlike say Adrian Peterson, McFadden wasn't able to make his OL look better than it was and while he certainly had the talent that you remember the small handful of good seasons or the few good games he had speaks volumes.

Same with Smith. Most of his career, he has had jack all to work with. Some terrible coaches and a dearth of playmakers to get the ball to. That said, a trait of a very good QB is they raise the apparent quality of the players around them. Smith, did not have that trait. However, once they finally had a good coach in Harbaugh, and got a couple weapons, suddenly Alex Smith had time to throw the ball deeper than just a check down and was able to make some plays. I still remember the Saints playoff game against the Niners where Alex Smith straight up, single handedly out-dueled Drew Brees. He was breaking 20-30 yard runs, hitting deep passes on a dime, and straight up balling out. Fast forward to him being in KC and they had nobody to throw to at first too. But, he won games. Then, his last season in KC, now they had Tyreek Hill and Kelce at TE and "check-down" Smith was objectively the best deep ball passer in the NFL that season. He had something like the highest percentage of his passes being deep and the best efficiency when throwing deep.

Like McFadden, Smith's good games here and there and a good season or two stick out because, not gonna lie, most of them weren't that. But he certainly showed the ability to be a top passer when given the tools, he just wasn't good enough to be a top passer without those tools. As a razorback, we tend to blame the terrible team surrounding McFadden for his lack of success in the NFL, but with non-razorbacks, we typically don't give the same nuance.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I just took exception to Smith being described as "mediocre". 

94-66 in the NFL is not mediocre.  He has always been a solid QB and a respected leader.

As a Chiefs fan, I will always respect what Smith did at Kansas City and how he was such a class act while knowingly paving the way for Mahomes to replace him.

We've had a hell of a lot of mediocre and poor QBs in KC, but Smith wasn't one of them.

#1 STUNNA:
Patrick Mahomes..... The best football player in America...

and im sure someone has mentioned it but the answer is Croyle...

Atmosphere yesterday in Kansas City was absolutely unbelieveable!!!

KC deserves this!!! The Hunt trophy is finally home!!!

LAHogfan123:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 19, 2020, 05:33:42 pm ---The question is: who was the last Chiefs starting QB before Patrick Mahomes who was drafted by the Chiefs ?

I'll guarantee that without looking it up no one but a maniacal KC fan would know the answer..

I had completely forgotten about the guy.. Hint: he played college ball in the SEC, but not here..

--- End quote ---

Okay, since you're asking Kansas City Chiefs trivia questions I'll see if anyone KCC fan knows this, who's the best QB that's ever played for the Kansas City Chiefs?

#1 STUNNA:

--- Quote from: LAHogfan123 on January 20, 2020, 08:13:03 am ---Okay, since you're asking Kansas City Chiefs trivia questions I'll see if anyone KCC fan knows this, who's the best QB that's ever played for the Kansas City Chiefs?

--- End quote ---

BR:

--- Quote from: LAHogfan123 on January 20, 2020, 08:13:03 am ---Okay, since you're asking Kansas City Chiefs trivia questions I'll see if anyone KCC fan knows this, who's the best QB that's ever played for the Kansas City Chiefs?

--- End quote ---
All time it was Joe Montana..  But most of his best years were with SF

LZH:

--- Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 20, 2020, 08:14:02 am ---#15

--- End quote ---

I think so, too.  And that number reflects how old he looks.  Can you imagine the first time some of these DB's played him and thought they had their receiver covered, but he slung it in on a rope right past them?...."you gotta be kidding me".

#1 STUNNA:

--- Quote from: LZH on January 20, 2020, 08:22:34 am ---I think so, too.  And that number reflects how old he looks.  Can you imagine the first time some of these DB's played him and thought they had their receiver covered, but he slung it in on a rope right past them?...."you gotta be kidding me".

--- End quote ---
only qb in KC history with a winning record in the playoffs... hes also just got the chiefs to back to back AFC championship games... and should  be playing in his 2nd super bowl in 2 weekends.

LAHogfan123:

--- Quote from: BR on January 20, 2020, 08:20:07 am --- All time it was Joe Montana..  But most of his best years were with SF

--- End quote ---

I'm with you there.  Joe Montana, at this point in time, the best QB that's ever played for Kansas City.

#1 STUNNA:

--- Quote from: LAHogfan123 on January 20, 2020, 08:57:54 am ---I'm with you there.  Joe Montana, at this point in time, the best QB that's ever played for Kansas City.

--- End quote ---
Huge Montana fan.. but he was average as a Kansas City Chief. The best to play qb for the Chiefs is already Mahomes. And hes proven that on the field and with stats. No argument can be made against what Mahomes has done in such little time imo.

k.c.hawg:

--- Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 20, 2020, 08:27:56 am ---only qb in KC history with a winning record in the playoffs... hes also just got the chiefs to back to back AFC championship games... and should  be playing in his 2nd super bowl in 2 weekends.

--- End quote ---

The last 2 weeks:

46-70  615 yds  8 TD 0 Int

15 carries 106 yds 1 TD

It is an amazing feeling, even when trailing 24-0 in the 1st qtr to know you are not out of the game. In was reaching a point to where I was considering giving up my season tickets and spending my Sundays at home and at a local sports bar watching games. Not getting up at 4 am and spending 10+ hours at the stadium. Then we draft this guy!!! Looks like my Sundays are tied up for another 15 years!!!

#1 STUNNA:

--- Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 20, 2020, 09:08:47 am ---The last 2 weeks:

46-70  615 yds  8 TD 0 Int

15 carries 106 yds 1 TD

It is an amazing feeling, even when trailing 24-0 in the 1st qtr to know you are not out of the game. In was reaching a point to where I was considering giving up my season tickets and spending my Sundays at home and at a local sports bar watching games. Not getting up at 4 am and spending 10+ hours at the stadium. Then we draft this guy!!! Looks like my Sundays are tied up for another 15 years!!!

--- End quote ---
coin toss/offsides call away from being in back to back super bowls...

ShadowTheHedgehog:
The Chiefs had a QB before Mahomes?

LAHogfan123:

--- Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 20, 2020, 09:02:21 am ---Huge Montana fan.. but he was average as a Kansas City Chief. The best to play qb for the Chiefs is already Mahomes. And hes proven that on the field and with stats. No argument can be made against what Mahomes has done in such little time imo.

--- End quote ---

I'm a huge Mahomes fan, and he's going to have a career that, if he doesn't get hurt and have his career cut short be one of the greatest QB'S of all time.  But right now, Montana is the best QB that's ever played for the Kansas City Chiefs, not because of what his two injury plagued seasons with KC produced, but for what he did over his entire career.  The question was, who's the best QB that's ever played for the KCC?

#1 STUNNA:
Just a reminder... https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/patrick-mahomes-ii-texas-tech-nfl-draft-cover-letter

#1 STUNNA:
https://twitter.com/pff_chiefs/status/1219295706130866176?s=21

elksnort:

--- Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2020, 07:00:50 pm ---Yeah, I thought it was in the locker room, but was the norm in the late 60’s, crazy.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, guess I was wrong about the specific location, but the photo is just crazy from today's perspective.

By the way, Go Chiefs!

hoglady:

--- End quote ---

Jim Leyland smoked in the dugout while managing until 2013.
There's a photo floating around of him smoking his last cig in the Tigers dugout - before the smoking ban went into effect that day.

SooieGeneris:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 19, 2020, 07:13:20 pm ---Here’s Dawson’s pic...

--- End quote ---

Dawson was a guy who bounced around with a few other teams before landing in KC. Typical of Chiefs QBs pre-Mahomes, other than Montana who had a great career before he got there.

I'm not a KC fan, BTW, but I know a lot about them having watched them since I was a kid. When I lived in Centerton back in the day when the population was 200-400 before cable and Directv, we got mostly TV stations in Springfield MO and Pittsburg KA and got a lot of KC news.

Last time I was in Centerton a few years back I barely recognized the place but the house we lived in was still there.

I just wonder what the Bears GM was smoking when he traded up one spot to get Trubiscuit when Mahomes and Watson were still on the board.. something stronger than tobacco surely..

Trubisky MAY have a solid career in time, but I would hate to have to justify that pick, especially trading 2-3 picks to move up ONE spot to get him when he could have stayed right where he was and had either of two WAY better QBs.

Mahomes, barring injury will be HOF. Watson could prove to be even with his connection to Morris. Dabo must have had to do quite a bit of scrubbing to get that off of him..

AugustaHog:
It's funny because a lot of the talking heads out there questioned the pick of Mahomes so early.  If it hadn't been Andy Reid making the pick, they would've crushed it even harder.  He's the best QB in the game right now.  He is fun to watch.  I hope he stays healthy for the next 12-15 years or so.  If he does, the results are going to be unreal, in both SB appearances and stats.

Grunt:

--- End quote ---
I saw that. Looks like an indoor shot.

DukeOfPork:

--- Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 20, 2020, 09:12:24 am ---coin toss/offsides call away from being in back to back super bowls...

--- End quote ---

So true.  The only thing stopping the Chiefs from being in back-to-back Super Bowls is a coin toss or an offsides call.  Pick either one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View