• 10,794,528 Posts
• 421,212 Topics
• 24,750 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ray Rice case prompted NFL changes on domestic violence, but cases continue to t  (Read 135 times)

highonthehog

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

The NFL is still a place where there's a lot of domestic violence sadly:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2019/09/18/nfl-domestic-violence-ray-rice-tyreek-hill-ezekiel-elliott-adrian-peterson/2215187001/

But man, look at all the players who have been arrested for domestic abuse:

https://www.clickitticket.com/NFL-domestic-violence/

I wonder if the NFL is the worst American pro league for this?

EastexHawg

There is plenty of domestic abuse all across the world.  I wonder if it might be more likely to be reported when the alleged perpetrators are multi-millionaires.

The Adrian Peterson case was a joke.  He whipped his kid with a switch.  It happened to me and almost everyone I know multiple times.  Somehow I survived the torture.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

highonthehog

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Yeah, I bet the fact that they have money makes it get reported more, you're probably right.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

There is plenty of domestic abuse all across the world.  I wonder if it might be more likely to be reported when the alleged perpetrators are multi-millionaires.

The Adrian Peterson case was a joke.  He whipped his kid with a switch.  It happened to me and almost everyone I know multiple times.  Somehow I survived the torture.

The Adrian Peterson case wasn't a joke. Plenty of people have been whipped with a switch before, myself included. But hitting your kid so hard they bleed, and doing so time and time again not stopping even when you see that they are bleeding from how hard you are hitting them is child abuse.

There's a reason Peterson didn't plea innocence in court and didn't fight the charges. He knew that he screwed up, and he faced the consequences for his actions like a man.

Has he used a switch on his kids since then? Yes. He said so explicitly in 2018, 4 years later. Did he learn his lesson about going overboard though? Absolutely as well.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

The NFL is still a place where there's a lot of domestic violence sadly:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2019/09/18/nfl-domestic-violence-ray-rice-tyreek-hill-ezekiel-elliott-adrian-peterson/2215187001/

But man, look at all the players who have been arrested for domestic abuse:

https://www.clickitticket.com/NFL-domestic-violence/

I wonder if the NFL is the worst American pro league for this?

Can't say about other sports, but yeah, a few years ago, I did some back of the envelope calculations and the rate of domestic violence in the NFL was lower than that of the general population.

However, there is the important question of accuracy of the reported rates. We know that in general, the reports of domestic violence only represent the tip of the iceberg of actual domestic violence which never gets reported.

As for the NFL, there are several things at play. One one hand, the players are very rich. Time and time again, we've seen how the justice system works very, very differently for rich people. The ability for an NFL player to use their money to make sure their violence never sees the light of day is not a difficult thing to accomplish. Thus, the rates for NFL could be much much higher than currently reported.

On the other hand, there have been a small handful of cases proven to be false. That NFL players have a lot of money can also make them a potential target for false accusations in an effort to get a settlement. Which brings up a bit of a Princess bride dilemma. I.e. clearly the NFL has a lot of money so they hide as many reports as they can so clearly the rate is much higher while also clearly the the NFL has a lot of money and makes them a bigger target for false claims so clearly the rate is lower.

In general, experts in the field will note that for every one deliberately false accusation made, there are vastly more violations kept quiet by the woman not wanting to go through the drama of court, feeling she deserved it, not wanting the man to get punished (though again, usually the first person to come forward is not even the 5th person to be impacted.)

EastexHawg

The Adrian Peterson case wasn't a joke. Plenty of people have been whipped with a switch before, myself included. But hitting your kid so hard they bleed, and doing so time and time again not stopping even when you see that they are bleeding from how hard you are hitting them is child abuse.

There's a reason Peterson didn't plea innocence in court and didn't fight the charges. He knew that he screwed up, and he faced the consequences for his actions like a man.

Has he used a switch on his kids since then? Yes. He said so explicitly in 2018, 4 years later. Did he learn his lesson about going overboard though? Absolutely as well.

My legs have had raised, blood rimmed "scars" on them from the use of a switch.  They are called WELTS.

Parents should have the authority to discipline their kids as long as they are not sexually abusing them, breaking bones, starving them, or otherwise inflicting serious and lasting damage.  Whipping them with a switch to the point of stinging the crap out of them and creating marks that are raising and have a "bloody" edge to them is not lasting or serious.  If you have kids and want to put them in time out as a form or discipline that should be your prerogative.  When my parents whipped my arse for disobeying them or doing something stupid that was their prerogative.  I have no scars from switchings...or being whipped with a belt, or an open hand, or a paddle at school...and I bet Peterson's kid doesn't, either.

What I did grow up with and still have is respect for discipline and authority.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....

If anything, it cuts it down;  the Ray Rice case has  taught people that if you report it, the money train will stop-- and the only thing worse than divorcing/leaving an ex abuser, is  getting half of a nothingburger for your trouble.    Better to leave quietly and take the money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas