• 10,843,824 Posts
• 422,464 Topics
• 24,798 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: getting next HC from a guy 'moving down' and not up....  (Read 2723 times)

Nothing but HOGS

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: getting next HC from a guy 'moving down' and not up....
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2019, 08:40:21 pm »

I read everything on here and have never posted. But could not let this one pass, you sir have took the cake  🤣

Snouty

• Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2019, 08:43:00 pm »

So the OP is suggesting that Coach Pittman won't succeed and we need to consider someone on the way down rather than on the way up?  This is before Pittman coaches a single game.  Do we need to hire a loser instead of a winner?  This makes no sense.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

savimbi2002

• Varsity
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2019, 08:53:47 pm »

The last time we did this was with Petrino, and before it all went south we had good results with that.  Think about it- things weren't working out in the NFL and he decided to downgrade to a college job(any non-elite college job is a downgrade from any NFL job).

Which got me thinking maybe we're looking at these HC hires all wrong.  Most of our hires over the last couple decades have been hiring a HC who leaves their current position to take a better one in our HC job.  But occasionally you will see guys who have a proven track record of success elsewhere that gets them the 'big' job, and when they struggle/fail there they get fired(or it's going in that direction) and are forced to take a 'lesser' job.  I find those sorts of candidates appealing because those are the sort of guys who are going to have a track record of success in a big way before. 

Think about it- they could have been fired/let go because of poor results at their last job or scandal. 

A perfect example of this sort of coach would be Kansas hiring Les Miles.  An obvious 'downgrade' from his last position(LSU) before that one.

And in thinking about potential candidates in 2-3 years when(just facing likelohoods and recent history) SP's time may be coming to a close:

1) Tom Herman- it's not going great in Texas.  If he continues to struggle and they do fire him, could he potentially fall to us?  To have a chance at a guy who just a few years ago all the top programs in the country were clamoring for would be pretty cool.  After all, he's the same guy who won the peach bowl at Houston and was a superstar OC at tOSU

2) Justin Fuentes- this year at Vatech was a little better, but things had been trending in the wrong direction.  Just a couple years ago this guy was getting 'top ten coach' type talk in all of college football.  If they have so-so to bad years over the next two, does Vatech move on and would we be interested?

3) Gus- no explanation needed, but if he has a bad year at Auburn he can get back in that 'hot seat' talk and well, we know the history....people don't think of him as being that sort of hire but he would be.

Any other good possibilities?

The reality is that just 2 years ago we were talking about the new hire before SP, and in 2-3 years we're likely to be doing this all again.  it's what happens and it's a trend.  If it does, I hope we go in a different direction and instead of getting someone taking a 'better' job in Arkansas, we can instead hire someone with a bigtime resume and bigtime success at one point whose most recent stop just wasn't successful....

TRASH

lumphog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I love this picture
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2019, 08:58:21 pm »

The last time we did this was with Petrino, and before it all went south we had good results with that.  Think about it- things weren't working out in the NFL and he decided to downgrade to a college job(any non-elite college job is a downgrade from any NFL job).

Which got me thinking maybe we're looking at these HC hires all wrong.  Most of our hires over the last couple decades have been hiring a HC who leaves their current position to take a better one in our HC job.  But occasionally you will see guys who have a proven track record of success elsewhere that gets them the 'big' job, and when they struggle/fail there they get fired(or it's going in that direction) and are forced to take a 'lesser' job.  I find those sorts of candidates appealing because those are the sort of guys who are going to have a track record of success in a big way before. 

Think about it- they could have been fired/let go because of poor results at their last job or scandal. 

A perfect example of this sort of coach would be Kansas hiring Les Miles.  An obvious 'downgrade' from his last position(LSU) before that one.

And in thinking about potential candidates in 2-3 years when(just facing likelohoods and recent history) SP's time may be coming to a close:

1) Tom Herman- it's not going great in Texas.  If he continues to struggle and they do fire him, could he potentially fall to us?  To have a chance at a guy who just a few years ago all the top programs in the country were clamoring for would be pretty cool.  After all, he's the same guy who won the peach bowl at Houston and was a superstar OC at tOSU

2) Justin Fuentes- this year at Vatech was a little better, but things had been trending in the wrong direction.  Just a couple years ago this guy was getting 'top ten coach' type talk in all of college football.  If they have so-so to bad years over the next two, does Vatech move on and would we be interested?

3) Gus- no explanation needed, but if he has a bad year at Auburn he can get back in that 'hot seat' talk and well, we know the history....people don't think of him as being that sort of hire but he would be.

The reality is that just 2 years ago we were talking about the new hire before SP, and in 2-3 years we're likely to be doing this all again.  it's what happens and it's a trend.  If it does, I hope we go in a different direction and instead of getting someone taking a 'better' job in Arkansas, we can instead hire someone with a bigtime resume and bigtime success at one point whose most recent stop just wasn't successful....

YOU’RE FIRED

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2019, 09:00:40 pm »

But yet you people reply.

Like I just did.

HogBreath

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:00 pm »

Which got me thinking maybe we're looking at these HC hires all wrong.  Most of our hires over the last couple decades have been hiring a HC who leaves their current position to take a better one in our HC job. 

Are you sure you were really thinking?  Petrino & Bielema were both exceptions to this trend you mentioned.

Come on man!

Phil D

• Senior
  • Woo pig!!!
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »

??? Are you suggesting sam pitman took a lesser job? If so ill ignore this thread, and you.

Notorious PIG

• Varsity
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:22 pm »

We just keep feeding this fool.

Hamdsome 1

• Varsity
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2019, 09:07:14 pm »

Just created this account to say ‘WHAT A STUPID TAKE!’ 

Slim Piggens

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2019, 09:24:23 pm »

Just created this account to say ‘WHAT A STUPID TAKE!’

Welcome to Hogville Hamdsome1, you are clearly a Man of intelligence, taste and can cook up a sweet, porcine related handle on the fly. Glad to have you here man.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:22:59 pm by Slim Piggens »

SeldomHere

• | I Miss Baseball |
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2019, 09:29:25 pm »

We need to look past that to the guy we hire after the next guy we hire after Pittman leaves. I'm thinking then we need to go with a female, for the recruiting splash.

One or two of these coaching on the sideline what you had in mind?

hoglady

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2019, 09:33:23 pm »

Dang - can we let him coach his first game before deciding he's going to fail???

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2019, 09:38:50 pm »

Dang - can we let him coach his first game before deciding he's going to fail???
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Better go on and fire him now.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2019, 09:43:08 pm »

I will never understand the desire to hire a coach who is not getting it done at a premier university. Or any other school.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2019, 09:57:33 pm »

no, not 'looking'.  But just being realistic.

Towards the end of season 1 with CM people were already starting thread after thread 'how long will Chad get'.

Looking at this team, next years schedule, and the general trajectory of the program and recent history as well as very favorable buyout terms for the university....well, it doesn't  hurt to start thinking about such things.

I really really think this Pittman hire is similar to the Matt Luke hire when Olemiss made it.  Their intent when they made that hire was just a low cost bridge hire.  They couldnt get anyone good at the time, and knew it, so figured they would just plug in a low cost option who would run a clean program for a few years.....during those few years you let the buyouts expire, reset things, and then make a run at a 'bigger' guy a couple years later.

To me when you look at the big picture, that is sort of what this hire feels like.  And OleMiss did get their higher profile guy with Kiffin.  So in terms of that, they accomplished what they wanted(get through the sanctions, bye time while waiting for a reset, etc) with Luke.
Omg, dude. You are actually blind.

Al Boarland

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2019, 04:27:17 am »

the national media is saying these are amazing hires . but 1/4 watt here thinks he knows better . This is where the Admins/ Mods needs to put him out of his misery .

It get so confused. Do we agree with the national media or not? Is it we conditionally agree with the national media as long as it’s positive?

I know we gobble up the sunshine from local guys until things turn for the worse. The we burn them for not asking tough questions. Finally they come around telling all the things that were wrong after the fact.

Al Boarland

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2019, 04:36:20 am »

Sounds like someone is upset the Lane Train got derailed.   CSP is a top notch recruiter.   He is also a very respected coach around the NCAA.  With his recruiting ability plus the addition of high in-demand coordinators this hire will turn out to be what the BB era should've been.   We may not go to BP heights but I see at least a return to an HDN type era.

I don’t see any 10 win type seasons. There would have to be a major shakeup in the West and recruiting would have to go to heights never seen.

There are 4 teams in the West alone in the top 10 in recruiting. Those teams have been adding to their other talent cycle after cycle. Where do you find enough wins to see HDN success?

tsdix

• Walk-On
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2019, 05:42:41 pm »

I don’t see any 10 win type seasons. There would have to be a major shakeup in the West and recruiting would have to go to heights never seen.

There are 4 teams in the West alone in the top 10 in recruiting. Those teams have been adding to their other talent cycle after cycle. Where do you find enough wins to see HDN success?

I was thinking more along the line of an average of 8 wins a season with a 10 win capability.   

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2019, 05:47:14 pm »

One or two of these coaching on the sideline what you had in mind?
I just wondering if those young ladies moms would call that picture a wardrobe malfunction?

Slim Piggens

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2020, 03:44:27 pm »

I just wondering if those young ladies moms would call that picture a wardrobe malfunction?

Why? That’s part of the design.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas