• 10,887,602 Posts
• 423,970 Topics
• 24,841 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask Mike Segment 12-30-19  (Read 905 times)

Jason Carroll

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Ask Mike Segment 12-30-19
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:20:10 pm »

It is time for the final edition of Ask Mike in 2019 as Mike Irwin answers your questions about Razorback Football and Basketball.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/ptns-ask-mike-for-december-30th/

Lanny

• The1
  • Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The1
    • Hogville.net
Re: Ask Mike Segment 12-30-19
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 06:44:40 pm »

Very good segment

Thanks Mike

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldhawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 06:19:49 am »

Also, thanks.  I look forward to these insights an opinions.

Hogeyeblind

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 08:26:47 am »

If a shred of the BL Jr story is true the BOT saved HY's career by stonewalling for Butch.

navyhog24

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:51:01 pm »

Ask Mike Segment 12-30-19

If a shred of the BL Jr story is true the BOT saved HY's career by stonewalling for Butch.

You actually believe any of that? Lol.

There's no way HY was going to go with BLJ. LOL.

Hogeyeblind

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 05:41:37 pm »

No I don't.  Not a shred

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 06:07:08 am »

Thanks for answering, my questions. Some of it I disagree with, but glad you answered

nuttless hog

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 11:44:25 am »

I was hoping you would have addressed my chad Morris question but understand why you didn’t.

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 02:53:19 pm »

Yes he was. Have it from multiple sources.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 03:12:53 pm »

Some of you must have been sleeping walking on the Friday before Pittman was hired on Sunday. There were rumors all over the place that Lunney was seriously in the running including a couple of tweets from national writers. When I came to work on Friday afternoon I was told by somebody very close to the situation that Lunney had the job. This was before the BOT balked.

Yurachek was already high on Lunney when he  made him the interim head coach. In the job interview Lunney blew Yuracheck away with an incredibly detailed rework of the existing budget for football. Basically he showed where money had been wasted and how it could be better spent. He also offered a intricate plan on recruiting with examples of past failures and what could have been done to prevent those failures. Finally he named his staff and offered to put Yurachek in touch with each of them to verify that they would take the job if Lunney was hired.

In case some of you haven't figured it out Yurachek is not concerned how a hire will look. He has his own guidelines on what he's looking for and he trusts his own judgement.

I think Pittman was was a very good hire but I do not agree that Lunney would have been a disaster. I know too much about that situation to believe that.

Jumpty

• Band Nerd
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 05:21:22 pm »

Mike, do you know any of the assistants Lunney wanted to hire if he got the head coaching jobs?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 05:36:18 pm »

Mike, do you know any of the assistants Lunney wanted to hire if he got the head coaching jobs?
Only that Yurachek was impressed with the list and blown away that Lunney already had his ducks in a row.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 05:48:00 pm »

They wanted Butch but never pressed the issue until they realized that Yuracheck was about to hire Lunney. Part of the problem with some of you guys is you apparently are laboring under the illusion that Yuracheck had lots of choices. He did not.

Campbell was not interested. Neither was Norvell. Leach wanted a big buyout. The guy is no dummy. If he was going to leave a comfortable job and jump into the fire that is the SEC West at a school as down as Arkansas is, he wanted some insurance that he wasn't going to get dumped after two years like Morris.

The Job was Kiffin's until his agent tried to play Ole Miss and Arkansas against each other. Yurachek was not interested in a short term hire and Davis, at age 68, was that.

Yurachek kept hearing from other candidates that they might be able to lure Pittman from Georgia as their O-Line coach. Then he heard that Pittman had said he would only come as the head coach. That was the first he'd heard that Pittman wanted the job and couldn't figure out why he had not been asked to interview. So he called him and there was an instant connection much like there was with Musselman.

These coach searches are not wrapped up in a neat little bow. They can take unexpected twists and turns.

Hogeyeblind

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 08:58:00 pm »

They wanted Butch but never pressed the issue until they realized that Yuracheck was about to hire Lunney. Part of the problem with some of you guys is you apparently are laboring under the illusion that Yuracheck had lots of choices. He did not.

Campbell was not interested. Neither was Norvell. Leach wanted a big buyout. The guy is no dummy. If he was going to leave a comfortable job and jump into the fire that is the SEC West at a school as down as Arkansas is, he wanted some insurance that he wasn't going to get dumped after two years like Morris.

The Job was Kiffin's until his agent tried to play Ole Miss and Arkansas against each other. Yurachek was not interested in a short term hire and Davis, at age 68, was that.

Yurachek kept hearing from other candidates that they might be able to lure Pittman from Georgia as their O-Line coach. Then he heard that Pittman had said he would only come as the head coach. That was the first he'd heard that Pittman wanted the job and couldn't figure out why he had not been asked to interview. So he called him and there was an instant connection much like there was with Musselman.

These coach searches are not wrapped up in a neat little bow. They can take unexpected twists and turns.

Also incredibly difficult to fathom that HY was unaware of the former players open letter touting SP.  Seriously?  With all the minions in the BAC that are all over social media?  DMAC brought it to his attention?  C'mon.  Also the narrative was that SP's agent had been doing regular check ins with HY letting him know of Pittman's interest in the job all along. 

At least it all worked in the end.  The team didn't look any better in the last 2 games with BL Jr than they did the previous 10 w Chadwick.  If HY would have hired Barry both would have been out of work within 2 seasons.

hoglady

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 06:32:20 am »

It all makes sense when you consider how upset Lunney was he didn't get the job.
When it was reported Lunney was upset - it was confusing to me WHY he would be so upset.
Well - hearing how it all went down, now it's a little more understandable.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 10:43:45 am »

Some of you must have been sleeping walking on the Friday before Pittman was hired on Sunday. There were rumors all over the place that Lunney was seriously in the running including a couple of tweets from national writers. When I came to work on Friday afternoon I was told by somebody very close to the situation that Lunney had the job. This was before the BOT balked.

Yurachek was already high on Lunney when he  made him the interim head coach. In the job interview Lunney blew Yuracheck away with an incredibly detailed rework of the existing budget for football. Basically he showed where money had been wasted and how it could be better spent. He also offered a intricate plan on recruiting with examples of past failures and what could have been done to prevent those failures. Finally he named his staff and offered to put Yurachek in touch with each of them to verify that they would take the job if Lunney was hired.

In case some of you haven't figured it out Yurachek is not concerned how a hire will look. He has his own guidelines on what he's looking for and he trusts his own judgement.

I think Pittman was was a very good hire but I do not agree that Lunney would have been a disaster. I know too much about that situation to believe that.

What situation do you know so much about that leads you to believe Lunney would have been successful?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 02:55:54 pm »

Also incredibly difficult to fathom that HY was unaware of the former players open letter touting SP.  Seriously?  With all the minions in the BAC that are all over social media?  DMAC brought it to his attention?  C'mon.  Also the narrative was that SP's agent had been doing regular check ins with HY letting him know of Pittman's interest in the job all along. 

At least it all worked in the end.  The team didn't look any better in the last 2 games with BL Jr than they did the previous 10 w Chadwick.  If HY would have hired Barry both would have been out of work within 2 seasons.
Let me put it this way. HY did not consider consider looking at Pittman until the BOT balked on Lunney. Let's face it, he was running out of options. So he called Pittman and like I indicated, there was an instant connection.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 04:32:51 pm »

What situation do you know so much about that leads you to believe Lunney would have been successful?
The biggest issue they had was players not buying into Morris and his staff. One of the reasons Lunney was named the Interim head coach was because of feedback from players. They liked him. They trusted him. Had he been hired there would have been a different attitude from the players next year. This team is not devoid of talent. There's a good sophomore class in place and  an bunch of red shirt freshmen who'll be ready to roll with the right coaching. He would have hired a good staff.

Are they better off with Pittman? I think so but I don't think Lunney would have been a disaster hire. For those of you who think he didn't do enough in those two games, give me a break. Go back at look at the LSU game and compare the effort with the Auburn game. LSU is a freak team this season. They are dominate in ways that even Alabama wasn't dominate in previous national championship seasons. Arkansas played LSU hard and did not quit. Certainly they were more competitive than Oklahoma was.

For Mizzou, Jefferson and Starkel were under concussion protocol. They had other players miss practice or the game because of the measles outbreak. Still they competed, unlike the embarrassment against Western Kentucky.

Also I don't think Yurachek had given up on the Lunney hire until Pittman won him over. I really believe that had that not happened Yurachek would have come back and told the BOT he was hiring Lunney or they could have his job. I'm almost certain they would have backed down.

He did not want Butch Davis.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 04:45:05 pm »

The biggest issue they had was players not buying into Morris and his staff. One of the reasons Lunney was named the Interim head coach was because of feedback from players. They liked him. They trusted him. Had he been hired there would have been a different attitude from the players next year. This team is not devoid of talent. There's a good sophomore class in place and  an bunch of red shirt freshmen who'll be ready to roll with the right coaching. He would have hired a good staff.

Are they better off with Pittman? I think so but I don't think Lunney would have been a disaster hire. For those of you who think he didn't do enough in those two games, give me a break. Go back at look at the LSU game and compare the effort with the Auburn game. LSU is a freak team this season. They are dominate in ways that even Alabama wasn't dominate in previous national championship seasons. Arkansas played LSU hard and did not quit. Certainly they were more competitive than Oklahoma was.

For Mizzou, Jefferson and Starkel were under concussion protocol. They had other players miss practice or the game because of the measles outbreak. Still they competed, unlike the embarrassment against Western Kentucky.

Also I don't think Yurachek had given up on the Lunney hire until Pittman won him over. I really believe that had that not happened Yurachek would have come back and told the BOT he was hiring Lunney or they could have his job. I'm almost certain they would have backed down.

He did not want Butch Davis.

Well, that wouldn’t have insured success, but I don’t think he would have been a disaster, either. Lunney has further to go to become a successful head coach than Pittman, due to past successes and experience. Hopefully we have the needed patience and luck for Sam and his staff to stay together long enough for it to happen.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 06:32:55 pm »

It all makes sense when you consider how upset Lunney was he didn't get the job.
When it was reported Lunney was upset - it was confusing to me WHY he would be so upset.
Well - hearing how it all went down, now it's a little more understandable.
Life is all about how you react to bad news. I'm sure he was upset for a few days but I'm also convinced that Barry will bust his butt at UTSA and move on from this near miss at his dream job. He might still get it down the road.

Hogeyeblind

• Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 08:18:12 pm »

Life is all about how you react to bad news. I'm sure he was upset for a few days but I'm also convinced that Barry will bust his butt at UTSA and move on from this near miss at his dream job. He might still get it down the road.

So if BL Jr had Pittman lined up to be HIS OL coach, wonder what would have happened if Traylor had not surprisingly gotten the UTSA gig and taken Barry with him as OC.  Would he have remained on Pitt's staff as TE coach? 

nwahogfan1

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 09:18:03 pm »

And you know this how????    I bet Mike's contacts are better than yours.  So give us what you got.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 10:08:22 pm »

So if BL Jr had Pittman lined up to be HIS OL coach, wonder what would have happened if Traylor had not surprisingly gotten the UTSA gig and taken Barry with him as OC.  Would he have remained on Pitt's staff as TE coach?
Pittman was not on Lunney's list. All that stuff about Pittman coming back under the right head coach was overblown. The only coach who could have possibly gotten Pittman to come back was Butch Davis. Pittman had worked under Davis before and Davis, at age 68, would probably not have coached much beyond a five year contract. Pittman might have come with a coach in waiting designation but that wasn't going to happen. 

After being told that he pretty much had the job Lunney was smart enough to move on once he didn't get it. He was on the team in 92 when Danny Ford got the job that Joe Kines wanted after serving as the Interim head coach. Kines came back for one season but realized that it wasn't working. It was not a good situation. Lunney would have found another job even if Traylor had not been hired at UTSA

navyhog24

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 10:41:06 pm »

And you know this how????    I bet Mike's contacts are better than yours.  So give us what you got.

Common sense

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 04:38:00 pm »

Doesn’t he wear glasses?

HogCzar1

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 02:41:56 am »

Interesting stuff. I have no doubt BLJ did a great interview. And, I think he will improve himself as a coach by leaving the area. But, supposedly Chad did a great interview too when he was hired. At the end of the day BLJ just wasn’t ready for this job in my honest opinion. Not that he won’t be in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas