• 10,843,823 Posts
• 422,464 Topics
• 24,798 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Anderson Jr. Tweet  (Read 4363 times)

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: Mike Anderson Jr. Tweet
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2019, 09:15:26 pm »

None of those things are high character regardless.

They didn't let those mistakes define them. They accepted the consequences of their actions. They made amends. They graduated. That shows character but you won't admit that.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2019, 09:31:41 pm »

LOL Desi, when asked what is the difference between this year and last year's team: "Buy-in. We're a lot more bought in."

Yes, it's an MA team...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HolyHog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »

This is the exact reason we root for Mike, threads like this, and then someone says, “nobody dislikes Mike” obviously half the posters do. Sad sad. Mike literally is doing better this year than Muss is, he hired him some good assistants finally and let Zimmerman and Watkins go. Mike has two Top 25 wins, so I’m not too sure anybody should be downing Mike lol.

HolyHog

• Varsity
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2019, 09:35:13 pm »

Love Mike and am very thankful for him getting the program turned around, but this team would not be nearly as fundamentally sound on defense or even all around if he was the coach. Jimmy Whitt wouldn’t be back, either. It is what it is. He’s doing well so far with a veteran St. John’s team and Musselman has taken his players and made them into a defensive force instantly. We heard for 3 to 4 years that Mike Anderson needed time to build a foundation and get his players in place. There will be none of that under Eric Musselman. Great head coaches do well with what they have. Eric Musselman has always done that. Even his NBA teams did well in proper context.

Mike definitely deserves credit for putting this team together, but you can’t give him that credit without also assigning 100% of the blame on him for not replacing Gafford with some size last spring. Simply inexcusable. It was no secret Gafford was gone after the season and he even left before then.
St johns lost 78% of their scoring and how two guys that have ever played regular minutes....don’t come in here posting stuff if you do not know any of the facts.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2019, 09:36:20 pm »

LOL Desi, when asked what is the difference between this year and last year's team: "Buy-in. We're a lot more bought in."

Yes, it's an MA team...

They are more mature and that helps with buy in. You've had a year to adjust to college ball from high school where you were the man. Plus, he has a little politician in him cause he knows how to give the expected responses to leading questions.

SugarHillGaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2019, 09:38:20 pm »

Some times the best thing to do is just ignore stupid comments

Get out of here with that common sense!  No adults are allowed in this thread.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2019, 09:40:44 pm »

Another reminder why Mike Anderson Sr. waited way too long to cull family and friends from the staff. His success at St. John's is thanks in large part to hiring a professional staff, not a comfortable staff.

Now that's a thoughtful critique.

rtr

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2019, 09:42:19 pm »

Mike Jr. must be bored. Not sure why he is trolling tonight.

His dad has 2 top 25 wins on the road this year against Arizona and a West Virginia team that just knocked off Ohio State in Columbus. The Red Storm is 11-2 and opening conference play against a #12 Butler team that is coming to take on CMA's team in Queens on Tuesday night.

For some kids, all we hope for is that they don't embarrass the family. Keeping your mouth shut seems easy enough but it's tough for some people.

I've always thought Mike might have more sucess at St. John's. I hope does.  He left a good foundation for Muss.   Tonight though, Woo Pig Sooie!!!

IronMountainHog

• “It ain’t Arkan, it’s Arkansas baby!!” -DMAC 2007
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2019, 09:56:01 pm »

They didn't let those mistakes define them. They accepted the consequences of their actions. They made amends. They graduated. That shows character but you won't admit that.
Kudos to them from not letting a serious mistake or two stop them for persevering and graduating. I was just responding to the poster who said MA only recruited high character kids, more than not he did. I wouldn’t consider many of the past football stars high character either.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2019, 09:59:19 pm »

That tweet begs the question then, Why couldn't Anderson get these guys to play this way?

They were young that's why.  I think MA would've had them doing pretty well but would've loss 2/3 of GT, WKU and IU and one stunner loss at home.

870_hog

• Varsity
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2019, 10:04:02 pm »

This is the exact reason we root for Mike, threads like this, and then someone says, “nobody dislikes Mike” obviously half the posters do. Sad sad. Mike literally is doing better this year than Muss is, he hired him some good assistants finally and let Zimmerman and Watkins go. Mike has two Top 25 wins, so I’m not too sure anybody should be downing Mike lol.

The person who created this thread (me) is rooting for Mike lol I am entitled to my opinion just like you are. 

jesterzzn

• We should all try and smile more.
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2019, 10:04:42 pm »

Nothing but love for Mike.  Hope he has a great season.

Couldn't care less what Jr has to say about anything.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2019, 10:05:49 pm »

Mike Jr. must be bored. Not sure why he is trolling tonight.

His dad has 2 top 25 wins on the road this year against Arizona and a West Virginia team that just knocked off Ohio State in Columbus. The Red Storm is 11-2 and opening conference play against a #12 Butler team that is coming to take on CMA's team in Queens on Tuesday night.

For some kids, all we hope for is that they don't embarrass the family. Keeping your mouth shut seems easy enough but it's tough for some people.

WVU was at home (MSG is a home game for them) and Arizona was neutral court.  Still good wins, but Mike is not a road warrior by any means. 

greasy_corner

• Hogvillian
  • Mal-a-zhan's Daddy
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2019, 10:06:24 pm »

Help yourself...
https://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php

Coachjy

• Varsity
  • Go Hogs Go!
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2019, 10:06:34 pm »

This is the same team minus Gafford that Mike underachieved with. Just listen to Zimmerman..... he has basically said numerous times how much better this team is now under Muss. And he’s a Mike Anderson guy.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2019, 10:07:07 pm »

Offensively there isn’t a huge difference. We rely on guys to make tough shots. Both MA and EM don’t get a lot of Easy baskets within their offense.

Defensively though they are very different. No zone, and much better help defense. Mentality wise I do think MA did a good job of teaching them to fight. It’s made it easier for EM to focus on other things.

Muss has done a terrific job getting them to work in the half court. I enjoy watching them on defense. Offensively it’s a lot of NBA PNR and isolation. IMO without a true big it makes it harder to be effective. But when you have two shooters like Mason and Isaiah if they can make shots it doesn’t matter what you run.

870_hog

• Varsity
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2019, 10:08:42 pm »

This is the same team minus Gafford that Mike underachieved with. Just listen to Zimmerman..... he has basically said numerous times how much better this team is now under Muss. And he’s a Mike Anderson guy.

Heck forget Zimmerman, forget the so called posters who have it out for Mike lol, and listen to the players interviews all most EVERY interview they rave about how much more prepared they feel under Muss.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

• Senior
  • Woo Daggum Pig!
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2019, 10:14:44 pm »

Kudos to them from not letting a serious mistake or two stop them for persevering and graduating. I was just responding to the poster who said MA only recruited high character kids, more than not he did. I wouldn’t consider many of the past football stars high character either.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's don't go putting words in my mouth. I never said that he "ONLY" recruited high character kids.

What I said was:

I'll say this, MA is one of the best dudes on the planet Earth and he recruited almost all of these guys...and because he's MA, he recruited high character, high energy guys. I'll give him credit for that.

And more specifically, I was very clearly talking about THIS group of kids being high character and high energy because I directly linked it to what Musselman was doing with them in the present.

1highhog

• The Undefeated!
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2019, 10:19:11 pm »

https://twitter.com/Mike_AndersonJr/status/1211453011089907712

I will have to respectfully disagree sure Anderson recruited these players but we would not be 11-1 if he was the head coach.     

If this team looked like a Anderson coached team they'd have at least 3 losses by now with one of them by more than 20 points.  Even the players talk about the huge difference in coaching, I couldn't believe it when on a Pig trail Nation show a couple of weeks ago a player mentioned how much they study upcoming opponents, and under Anderson they never did any.  MA seems to have turned over a new leaf in New York, but here he was lazy and content for 8 years, that was 8 years of wasted time in my opinion.  The players we have committed right now we probably will never know if they would have committed if Anderson was still here, but I'm going to say no.  For the first time in years, we're having 4 and 5 stars wanting to schedule visits to see what Arkansas is about, instead of having to beg and plead  with 3 stars.  While stars don't always mean how good a player is going to be, it's sure nice to get the attention back that I feel the University of Arkansas deserves.  Thank you Coach Muss.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2019, 10:21:22 pm »

There was a great article about Matt Zimmerman in a recent Hawgs Illustrated.
Zimmerman turned down some coaching opportunities to stay on as the radio analyst.
The article touched on the coaching transition some as well.
Here is an excerpt from the article.

Growing up as a diehard Razorback fan gives Zimmerman an appreciation for the program's history and success, and the expectations that Anderson's staff came short of reaching.
"You have to have that run", Zimmerman said. "At UAB and Missouri, we had deep runs and we never had that run here. So, I understood it."
"I also take up when people say, 'Hey, you were terrible'. Well, no we weren't. Out of 14 teams, we were third in the league in wins. We just didn't have the run."
"Just making the NCAA Tournament isn't good enough here. You've got to go to a Final Four, you've got to go to a final eight."

Me: I couldn't have said it better myself. Zimmerman's words reflects exactly how I feel, and he gets it. College basketball is largely about March Madness. Coach A was never able to produce an NCAA run in his eight years, and for that reason, I agree it was time to see if someone else could do better. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but with the program's history, those NCAA runs are expected here.
But at the same time, his words also reflect how I feel that many good things happened in those eight years, so for someone to say it was bad is ridiculous. It was a solid eight years, and free of impropriety.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

• Senior
  • Woo Daggum Pig!
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2019, 10:25:38 pm »

There was a great article about Matt Zimmerman in a recent Hawgs Illustrated.
Zimmerman turned down some coaching opportunities to stay on as the radio analyst.
The article touched on the coaching transition some as well.
Here is an excerpt from the article.

Growing up as a diehard Razorback fan gives Zimmerman an appreciation for the program's history and success, and the expectations that Anderson's staff came short of reaching.
"You have to have that run", Zimmerman said. "At UAB and Missouri, we had deep runs and we never had that run here. So, I understood it."
"I also take up when people say, 'Hey, you were terrible'. Well, no we weren't. Out of 14 teams, we were third in the league in wins. We just didn't have the run."
"Just making the NCAA Tournament isn't good enough here. You've got to go to a Final Four, you've got to go to a final eight."

Me: I couldn't have said it better myself. Zimmerman's words reflects exactly how I feel, and he gets it. College basketball is largely about March Madness. Coach A was never able to produce an NCAA run in his eight years, and for that reason, I agree it was time to see if someone else could do better. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but with the program's history, those NCAA runs are expected here.
But at the same time, his words also reflect how I feel that many good things happened in those eight years, so for someone to say it was bad is ridiculous. It was a solid eight years, and free of impropriety.

I like Zimmerman, but this is an oversimplification of the issue. The reason that we never had runs is because we were never seeded to go on runs. When you continually draw 7-10, you play a brutal first game and if you're fortunate enough to win that one, you get rewarded by playing the 1 or 2 seed in your bracket. Yes, we won more consistently than 11 other teams in the conference, but we rarely played our way out of bubble discussion until the very end of the season, and by then, we're stuck with a brutal pathway to make a deep run.

If you aren't winning enough games in any given year to be a top 4 seed, it's going to be tough to consistently make runs in March.

HolyHog

• Varsity
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2019, 10:27:20 pm »

If this team looked like a Anderson coached team they'd have at least 3 losses by now with one of them by more than 20 points.  Even the players talk about the huge difference in coaching, I couldn't believe it when on a Pig trail Nation show a couple of weeks ago a player mentioned how much they study upcoming opponents, and under Anderson they never did any.  MA seems to have turned over a new leaf in New York, but here he was lazy and content for 8 years, that was 8 years of wasted time in my opinion.  The players we have committed right now we probably will never know if they would have committed if Anderson was still here, but I'm going to say no.  For the first time in years, we're having 4 and 5 stars wanting to schedule visits to see what Arkansas is about, instead of having to beg and plead  with 3 stars.  While stars don't always mean how good a player is going to be, it's sure nice to get the attention back that I feel the University of Arkansas deserves.  Thank you Coach Muss.
He also had some really tough luck at Arkansas, Marshawn Powell tore Acl and out all of first year or would’ve made the tourney, Qualls leaving early for some reason, Jacorey Williams trying to make some extra money on the side (not smart), 2015 recruit never made it to campus for grade issues, Garland heart injury, Reggie Perry getting the bag last second on an Adidas trip. Jordan Phillips Hurt first half of the season which ended up making him transfer.

IronMountainHog

• “It ain’t Arkan, it’s Arkansas baby!!” -DMAC 2007
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2019, 10:31:48 pm »

I like Zimmerman, but this is an oversimplification of the issue. The reason that we never had runs is because we were never seeded to go on runs. When you continually draw 7-10, you play a brutal first game and if you're fortunate enough to win that one, you get rewarded by playing the 1 or 2 seed in your bracket. Yes, we won more consistently than 11 other teams in the conference, but we rarely played our way out of bubble discussion until the very end of the season, and by then, we're stuck with a brutal pathway to make a deep run.

If you aren't winning enough games in any given year to be a top 4 seed, it's going to be tough to consistently make runs in March.
Zimmerman go ahead and add in the 0 conference titles, early exits in SEC tourney, winning 51% of conference games, getting beat by teams who you would have thought had no chance of beating you, getting punked by Butler in the NCAA, etc.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2019, 10:34:40 pm »

He also had some really tough luck at Arkansas, Marshawn Powell tore Acl and out all of first year or would’ve made the tourney, Qualls leaving early for some reason, Jacorey Williams trying to make some extra money on the side (not smart), 2015 recruit never made it to campus for grade issues, Garland heart injury, Reggie Perry getting the bag last second on an Adidas trip. Jordan Phillips Hurt first half of the season which ended up making him transfer.

Screwed by refs the UNC game and then being underseeded the year against butler when butler was severely underseeded.  Arkansas was a 7 seed and Butler was a 10 and they were favored by 3 I think. 

wooo

• In memory of Mr Uekman
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2019, 10:36:54 pm »

I'll say this, MA is one of the best dudes on the planet Earth and he recruited almost all of these guys...and because he's MA, he recruited high character, high energy guys. I'll give him credit for that.

Musselman has been able in short order to turn them into a force.

Hammer, meet nail

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2019, 10:48:13 pm »

This team would be 6 or 7 wins under MA right now maybe.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2019, 11:01:05 pm »

I'm in total agreement with you there.

Much of being able of going on a run depends on starting out with an advantageous seeding.
The Hogs under CMA would have the annual 'funk', costing them dearly in winnable games, and having to climb out of a hole, which to their credit, often they would do. But the damage had been done. They got into the NCAA, but the seed was not what it could have been.

Totally agree, and have bemoaned that before myself.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2019, 11:04:13 pm »

Screwed by refs the UNC game and then being underseeded the year against butler when butler was severely underseeded.  Arkansas was a 7 seed and Butler was a 10 and they were favored by 3 I think.
The only bad luck CMA truly had was Khalil Garland. No one saw that coming.

And you want to talk about the refs in UNC, ok, as long as you also talk about going scoreless in the last 3:00 minutes of the game with jacked-up shots...and also falling behind something like 30-10 in the early going, digging a huge hole. Talk about the entire game...not just the refs.

Add it all up, and UNC was a deserving winner.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2019, 11:15:39 pm »

They were young that's why.  I think MA would've had them doing pretty well but would've loss 2/3 of GT, WKU and IU and one stunner loss at home.

Every year? Because his teams they played the same way every year.

HogBreath

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2019, 05:37:44 am »

Every year? Because his teams they played the same way every year.

We just needed to give Mike more time to get his players in here.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2019, 08:56:13 am »

WVU was at home (MSG is a home game for them) and Arizona was neutral court.  Still good wins, but Mike is not a road warrior by any means.

MSG is a home game for them in the same way that LR games are home for us and we usually play horribly against the cupcakes we schedule in LR. WV is a ranked team. We have never scheduled a top 25 team in LR. The Arizona game was on a neutral court that was 3,000 miles from home for the Red Storm.

Mike actually is a road warrior. The Hogs won more road games in the SEC than any other team except Kentucky in the last 5 years under CMA.

1highhog

• The Undefeated!
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »

Then why didn't Anderson just hire good assistants here if that was all that was keeping him from winning more games? ::)  Anderson is a decent coach and a great person, but if he had of stayed here this year we would have seen the same old thing we've seen the past 8 years of his time here, inept recruiting tactics and lazy coaching.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas