• 10,843,835 Posts
• 422,465 Topics
• 24,798 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eric Musselman comes up short  (Read 1837 times)

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Eric Musselman comes up short
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:43:14 pm »

Just behind Juwaun Howard on this list of best new coaches/hires in college basketball this season. Couldn't resist the "short" reference. haha.

Hog basketball is in good hands going forward. I think most of you know I thought Mike should have gotten another year but since he didn't, I'm glad Musselman is here. HY is a different story though but oh well.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-12-16/ranking-top-10-college-basketball-teams-1st-year-coaches

No. 2 Eric Musselman, Arkansas

Musselman hasnít lost much, lately. He was 29-5 last season at Nevada, and now his Razorbacks are 9-1, only an overtime loss at Western Kentucky away from being unbeaten. One reason is Mason Jones, who banked in a 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Georgia Tech and just put 41 points on Tulsa. Another factor is Arkansasí 3-point defense. The Hogs have allowed the third lowest percentage in the country and had one stretch when opponents clanged 2-for-49 in 3-point attempts, missing 32 in a row.  Then there is Musselmanís knack for reducing turnovers. In his first three seasons at Nevada, his team went from 208th in the nation in turnovers to third. Arkansas started the season with 21 turnovers in its opener and was 280th in the nation. After 10 games, the Razorbacks were down to 134th.

Sho Nuff

• Senior
  • 'Merica First
    • Farmers Agent
Re: Eric Musselman comes up short
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 11:52:07 pm »

I get the feeling that Juwan Howard will flame out at Michigan.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The origin of the COVID-19 Virus. Yeah I said it.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 11:57:28 pm »

Juwan Howard at the top position. Horse hockey. We are never going to get rid of those Fab Five FRAUDS.

1highhog

• The Undefeated!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 06:31:15 am »

Just behind Juwaun Howard on this list of best new coaches/hires in college basketball this season. Couldn't resist the "short" reference. haha.

Hog basketball is in good hands going forward. I think most of you know I thought Mike should have gotten another year but since he didn't, I'm glad Musselman is here. HY is a different story though but oh well.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-12-16/ranking-top-10-college-basketball-teams-1st-year-coaches

Musselman hasnít lost much, lately. He was 29-5 last season at Nevada, and now his Razorbacks are 9-1, only an overtime loss at Western Kentucky away from being unbeaten. One reason is Mason Jones, who banked in a 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Georgia Tech and just put 41 points on Tulsa. Another factor is Arkansasí 3-point defense. The Hogs have allowed the third lowest percentage in the country and had one stretch when opponents clanged 2-for-49 in 3-point attempts, missing 32 in a row.  Then there is Musselmanís knack for reducing turnovers. In his first three seasons at Nevada, his team went from 208th in the nation in turnovers to third. Arkansas started the season with 21 turnovers in its opener and was 280th in the nation. After 10 games, the Razorbacks were down to 134th.

I shudder at the thought of Anderson being here this year instead of CEM, it'd be a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.  We would have at least 3 losses by now with mediocre results on the recruiting front AGAIN with him as Coach, just as we did for 8 long years.  Mike is a good man, I love what he did here in his time with Nolan, I hope he has great success in his current job, but I'm so glad he's gone.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 06:47:53 am »

I shudder at the thought of Anderson being here this year instead of CEM, it'd be a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.  We would have at least 3 losses by now with mediocre results on the recruiting front AGAIN with him as Coach, just as we did for 8 long years.  Mike is a good man, I love what he did here in his time with Nolan, I hope he has great success in his current job, but I'm so glad he's gone.

You got the hook in your belly and swallowed the damn bobber, too.

southeasthog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Resident Inspector
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:29:37 am »

You got the hook in your belly and swallowed the damn bobber, too.

Yep. The only reason FAS posted it was because his coach is also on the list. So transparent.

Smithian

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 07:59:49 am »

I think Juwan Howard will thrive at Michigan, but he is learning college basketball in a great situation at a job that recruits itself.

Not sure how he'd be doing somewhere like Arkansas where he had to hustle to hold the roster together and work hard even to keep in-state recruits.

Albert Swinestein

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:01:41 am »

You are not very good at this passive-aggressive approach, so let me just congratulate you on your man, Coach Anderson for being on this list.

In all truthfulness, I am proud to see Coach Anderson on this list.  I hope he does very well at St. John's.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 08:23:45 am »

juwan was handed a top 15 program. muss wasn't

Wardhog85

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 08:34:41 am »

What is your problem with HY? The man has done a hell of a job so far.

bigred223

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 08:51:49 am »

What is your problem with HY? The man has done a hell of a job so far.

He hates Yurachek because he fired mike.

gmarv

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 09:16:10 am »

I think it may just be what is best for us and CMA I hope he has a great year and does wonderous things for St. John. I am loving CEMS style and attitude and his recruiting is simple amazing so far.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 09:22:34 am »

Mike was content here.

Thatís a fact. There was zero fire.

jgphillips3

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 09:23:20 am »

Hell, after what Muss has done and what Pittman appears to be doing, I think a damn statue to HY will be needed.  Also, I think he did MA a favor.  It finally looks like Mike gives a crap again.  He isnít just sitting on his hands anymore, is actually coaching on the floor like he cares and actually hired a staff that wasnít scrubs or sycophants.  In time, if he does well at St. Johnís over the long haul, I bet MA would say the same thing.

SeldomHere

• | I Miss Baseball |
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 09:30:21 am »

I get the feeling that Juwan Howard will flame out at Michigan.

Just waiting on the time out...

RaisinHog

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 10:04:07 am »

Look Iím happy to have muss.. but that coach you hate so much has arguably a better team than us right now..

Smithian

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 10:09:08 am »

You all bite on FineAsSwine's bait way too easy. He makes sport of riling you up. Ignore the bait, focus on the article.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 10:21:04 am »

You all bite on FineAsSwine's bait way too easy. He makes sport of riling you up. Ignore the bait, focus on the article.

If this were bait I would be in here going back and forth with people who have attacked me for no reason at all in this thread but as you can see, I haven't.

I meant every word that I posted in the OP here at face value. No need to read the tea leaves.

HotlantaHog

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 10:48:48 am »

I'm very happy with Muss -- attended the Georgia Tech game and was thrilled to pull out that victory. Still, it's a fact that it's very early and the Hogs have played essentially no one of great note so far -- that will change soon and we should get a better read on how good the team is in January. I'm very optimistic -- more so than in recent years -- but it's cautious optimism, recognizing the schedule wasn't as overwhelming in November/December as it has been some years.

All that said, save the hate for Mike! He has St. Johns 11-2 and they just beat No. 16 Arizona, a better win that Arkansas has so far. He was nothing but class as an assistant and a head coach and a huge step up from the Pelphrey/Heath disaster years. Sure it didn't work out in the end, and I am not sure exactly why (though one guess is his assistants were never quite up to par) but I feel nothing but affection for Mike and his time here.

HotlantaHog

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 10:51:34 am »

Hell, after what Muss has done and what Pittman appears to be doing, I think a damn statue to HY will be needed.  Also, I think he did MA a favor.  It finally looks like Mike gives a crap again.  He isnít just sitting on his hands anymore, is actually coaching on the floor like he cares and actually hired a staff that wasnít scrubs or sycophants.  In time, if he does well at St. Johnís over the long haul, I bet MA would say the same thing.
I think Hunter Y MAY go down as one of the great athletic directors anywhere, and he actually seems to care about winning vs Jeff Long, but it's early to be ordering granite. Let's see how Pittman and Muss work out. I'm optimistic! But it's very early days.

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 11:00:25 am »

Great to see Muss high on this list.  He deserves it, but I don't understand those who denigrate Anderson, who also happens to be on this list and who no doubt would have been even higher on the list had this piece been written after he beat Arizona out west.  He was a good coach, but just didn't quite get the job done for us.  BTW, they love him here in NYC, after being a little lukewarm about him at first:  https://nypost.com/2019/12/22/mike-anderson-gives-surprising-st-johns-everything-it-lacked/

Wardhog85

• Varsity
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 11:39:11 am »

Great to see Muss high on this list.  He deserves it, but I don't understand those who denigrate Anderson, who also happens to be on this list and who no doubt would have been even higher on the list had this piece been written after he beat Arizona out west.  He was a good coach, but just didn't quite get the job done for us.  BTW, they love him here in NYC, after being a little lukewarm about him at first:  https://nypost.com/2019/12/22/mike-anderson-gives-surprising-st-johns-everything-it-lacked/
I don't think people have a problem with MA, he's a class act, and he left the program in better shape than he found it. I think what rubs people the wrong way is that this board has posters who claim to be hog fans, but we were really just MA fans. They didnt care how stagnant the program got, as long as MA was the coach. We upgraded with Coach Mussleman and St. John's upgraded with CMA. I hope CMA wins every game, unless he's playing against the Hogs.

Smithian

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 11:44:27 am »

Stacey Lewis recommending HY was a great in Razorback history.

PLANO

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 11:47:59 am »

So Anderson might have a better team at St. John's (made up of players he didn't recruit) than we do right now (what Anderson left behind plus some quality adds by Muss).   

Sounds about right. 

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 12:34:38 pm »

So Anderson might have a better team at St. John's (made up of players he didn't recruit) than we do right now (what Anderson left behind plus some quality adds by Muss).   

Sounds about right.
No way.  We got all important players back but Gafford.  St. Johns lost pretty much everything but Heron and Figueroa, and Heron is injured.  Arkansas is a more talented team than St. Johns by a good bit, I think.  MA has done a good job re-purposing role players and guys who didn't get much time last year.  You may not like the guy as a coach, but any fair observer would have to say that so far MA has done a lot with a little.  I doubt they hold up once Big East conference play starts.  Arkansas very well may dance.  St. Johns is probably a long shot.

Smithian

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 12:43:44 pm »

Sounds about right. 
Him leaving was a win-win. No reason to worry who has it better off.

hawg66

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2019, 12:53:41 pm »

This is essentially Andersonís players. The new guys are mostly redshirted. Whitt has been a nice addition but the rest of the team was already here.

I try to stay out of the whole Anderson/ Musselman talk. I do pretty good until I see uninformed comments and badmouthing a coach who was nothing but classy his entire time here.

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2019, 12:55:24 pm »

Him leaving was a win-win. No reason to worry who has it better off.
Yep.  Win-win.  We're thrilled to have Muss, and St. Johns fans, though they weren't at first, are now thrilled to have MA.  Everybody's happy - for now.

PLANO

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2019, 01:09:45 pm »

I'm clearly still aggravated at MA and need to get over it I guess.  I was very excited when he 'came home', then I became increasingly frustrated with his lack of effort during games and refusal to make signficant changes on that deadbeat bench of coaches he kept around.   Then he gets his butt fired and goes up to St. John's and starts hiring new coaches and recruiting and I catch a highlight during a St. John's game and he's running up and down the bench and yelling at guys on the floor.  I might have even seen him drawing up a play during a time out...I don't know....maybe that's a little too crazy. 

I'm still mad at MA because he should have been working his butt off at his 'dream job' instead of just coasting along talking about 1994.  So now he's going to go work his butt off for somebody else.  Great! 

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2019, 01:10:54 pm »

The biggest difference is not so much on the court since both Arkansas and St. Johns have exceeded preseason expectations.  It's in recruiting.  St. Johns has a decent but pretty modest recruiting class to date, while ours appears to be one of the best in hog history and far better, on paper at least, than any MA had here.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2019, 01:28:49 pm »

Some overly sensitive folks on here man. geez.

East Clintwood

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2019, 02:17:50 pm »

I'm clearly still aggravated at MA and need to get over it I guess.  I was very excited when he 'came home', then I became increasingly frustrated with his lack of effort during games and refusal to make signficant changes on that deadbeat bench of coaches he kept around.   Then he gets his butt fired and goes up to St. John's and starts hiring new coaches and recruiting and I catch a highlight during a St. John's game and he's running up and down the bench and yelling at guys on the floor.  I might have even seen him drawing up a play during a time out...I don't know....maybe that's a little too crazy. 

I'm still mad at MA because he should have been working his butt off at his 'dream job' instead of just coasting along talking about 1994.  So now he's going to go work his butt off for somebody else.  Great! 

I somewhat agree with this.  I wasn't happy when he was brought back but was really unhappy with his performance and effort once he got here.    He had much better results at both UAB and Missouri than he had here and appears to be returning to his previous form now that he's at St Johns.

I think either he was content to have attained his dream job or that he was intimidated to be back here with Nolan looking over his shoulder.  For whatever reason it didn't work out here and it appears everyone is benefiting from HY's decision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas