• 10,843,209 Posts
• 422,439 Topics
• 24,797 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting philosophical thought..Pittman vs Nutt  (Read 1134 times)

depressed_fan

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Interesting philosophical thought..Pittman vs Nutt
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:15:58 pm »

I came across something on another site a little while ago that triggered my imagination about something.  According to something I read on here, Houston Nutt said on local radio he would come back and coach here, but with a caveat of the fan base would have to be united about it.  Obviously that was never going to happen.  I'm not sure why he would come back anyway but I guess he really loves the Hogs.

Fast forward a few weeks while being turned down by everyone else except Sam Pittman.  I guess the Iowa State coach was offered, said no. Leach said no.  Kiffin chose Ole Miss.  Drinkowitz chose Missouri.  There's probably a couple names in between I'm forgetting. 

I like this Sam Pittman hire.  I'm not criticizing it.  It's just funny to me, we have a chance to bring back the most successful Razorback coach we've ever had, a guy with 14 years SEC experience, and we choose a career offensive line coach instead.  I guess the fan base can unite behind Sam better? Would you wager Sam would win more games over the course of the next 3 years than Nutt?

It kind of makes me wonder, had Nutt not gone straight to Ole Miss after leaving here, and bombed out his last 2 years, yet rebuilt and won at some directional school, would we have taken him back before Sam

pigheaded

• Senior
  • Profesionals do it til they can't get it wrong
Re: Interesting philosophical thought..Pittman vs Nutt
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 10:21:23 pm »

No

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

247Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 10:22:08 pm »

Nuck Futt

jgphillips3

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:22:38 pm »

No.  We would NEVER take that clown back.  He is better than Morris, but he’s just another used car salesman and only an idiot would go back down that path with him as coach.  Now, he might could be involved in some PR way with the program again, but never again as head coach.

wachhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 10:26:30 pm »

I came across something on another site a little while ago that triggered my imagination about something.  According to something I read on here, Houston Nutt said on local radio he would come back and coach here, but with a caveat of the fan base would have to be united about it.  Obviously that was never going to happen.  I'm not sure why he would come back anyway but I guess he really loves the Hogs.

Fast forward a few weeks while being turned down by everyone else except Sam Pittman.  I guess the Iowa State coach was offered, said no. Leach said no.  Kiffin chose Ole Miss.  Drinkowitz chose Missouri.  There's probably a couple names in between I'm forgetting. 

I like this Sam Pittman hire.  I'm not criticizing it.  It's just funny to me, we have a chance to bring back the most successful Razorback coach we've ever had, a guy with 14 years SEC experience, and we choose a career offensive line coach instead.  I guess the fan base can unite behind Sam better? Would you wager Sam would win more games over the course of the next 3 years than Nutt?

It kind of makes me wonder, had Nutt not gone straight to Ole Miss after leaving here, and bombed out his last 2 years, yet rebuilt and won at some directional school, would we have taken him back before Sam
I certainly hope not. Has nothing to do with Ole Miss; has everything to do with how he treated Mustain and the Springdale kids. Have I told you lately how little I think of the Nutt?
And as far as being involved  with the Hogs in some sort of PR way, that would be the worse PR move a university could make.

Buff

• Gold Hogvillian
  • My avatar was the owner throwing the horns

Gonzo

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 10:31:48 pm »

Houston Nutt was all about Houston Nutt, not the Hogs. That was his downfall, he did not take well to other folks getting credit for any Hogs' success, even though the HC always winds up being credited with said success in the long run. He did not understand or embrace this philosophy. If he had he may have endured longer, maybe much longer.

Go Hogs!

SavoySeamster

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 10:37:06 pm »

Nope. If you're dead set on improvement, then ain't no looking back, no matter who the coach. Nutt, in this case, had his shot and ample time. History shows that he was a average coach in conference, during a time when the West was weak. Ain't no way he could recruit us out of this hole. History also shows he was a mediocre recruiter. He coached his guys up with emotion. That crap wears off when you're getting your a$$ handed to you by the likes of Bama, LSU, etc all afternoon. It takes above average talent and above average coaching to run with those cats in this day and age.

UnknownNobody

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • My dog barks some...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 10:37:12 pm »

Nutt???

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 10:55:19 pm »

No.  We would NEVER take that clown back.  He is better than Morris, but he’s just another used car salesman and only an idiot would go back down that path with him as coach.  Now, he might could be involved in some PR way with the program again, but never again as head coach.
And that stupid point of view launched the planes and banners... There's no way he should ever be back, but you are, and have always been, wrong in that POV... The guy coached his ass off, and got made fun of by a coach who is reaping what he sowed at Auburn... What is happening to Gus couldn't happen to a more deserving candidate.

BeaverHog

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 11:02:00 pm »

Op left his successful coach ambiguous, but I’m guessing means most successful coach in win percentage while in the sec and even then that’s not correct.

Seebs

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 11:03:56 pm »

With your thought process I see why you are named Depressed. I only think about Nutt right before I flush.

Hog Fan from Camden

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 11:04:15 pm »

Why is he not coaching after leaving Ole Miss?

BILLYBOB

• You’ll get nothing and like it
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 11:12:32 pm »

This is the first time in a long time that the Arkansas Fan base is united behind all three of the big revenue sports. The wheels may come off by this time next year but for right now, we’re united and that makes us stronger. Had HDN come back, the fan base would be divided and fighting. It just gets exhausting. I got nothing against Nutt and think he did a good job. But it’s time to move on and I’m very glad we have SP. I just hope we can be patient for 2-3 years...

TechHawg

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 11:15:26 pm »

I agree with the sentiment of looking forward and not back, and am excited about what Pittman brings to the table, but man, Nutt Derangement Syndrome is alive and well on Hogville.

lasthog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 11:15:51 pm »

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 11:19:52 pm »

This is full of errors, imo, but especially the bolded part.

Seriously?

Swinelake

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 11:22:46 pm »

I'm not convinced we offered Leach or Kiffin. I'm even less convinced we offered Drink.

No. No more Nutt. Stay away Hootie.

bacon&eggs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 11:30:02 pm »

No. On so many levels, Nutt is living proof that life's not fair...

Baylor80Hog

• Varsity
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 04:33:02 am »

Just had to poke that sleeping dog with a stick, dintcha....???

HoggusMaximus

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 05:09:00 am »

Houston Nutt did better at Arkansas than any coach after him besides petrino.

HardCore

• Hogvillian
  • Was it good for you too, Leo?
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 05:56:28 am »

Houston Nutt was all about Houston Nutt, not the Hogs. That was his downfall, he did not take well to other folks getting credit for any Hogs' success, even though the HC always winds up being credited with said success in the long run. He did not understand or embrace this philosophy. If he had he may have endured longer, maybe much longer.

Go Hogs!

This!  +1.  He couldn’t see the Forest for the Trees.  Had he just let things play out as they were and had success with that Springdale group.....as opposed to worrying about his “Pride”, he would have likely sustained and possibly taken Coach Broyles Spot as AD upon his retirement.  As stated above, HDN could not get out of HDN’s own way.  THAT was his biggest problem.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 06:02:29 am »

I'd call myself a depressed_fan also if I was also a nutt lover.

The Power Of Pork

• Bench Warmer
  • Go Get One!
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 06:15:46 am »

100% spot on! Guy was always tripping over his own ego. Our problem was keeping him ten fricking years!

Go Hogs!

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2019, 05:06:43 pm »

Trash or not here goes;

Hell no.  Why would you give up 10 or 12 years of recovery to go back to being a functional alcoholic?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas