Non Sports Forums > Hunting, Fishing and other Outdoor Sports

M1 Garand question

Pages: (1/1)

Kenny Hawgins:

Does anyone have any experience with putting a scope mount on a garand?

I have a Springfield M1 that I'd like to add a scope to but don't want to drill it. I've seen some mounts that don't require drilling but thought I'd see if anyone had tried one before I buy.

kodiakisland:

There are several mounts that are no drill options that mount into the rear sight base.
I do have to ask though, unless trying to make a vintage M1C or D sniper version, why a scope on a Garand?

You can replace the handguard with a picatinny rail for scout scopes/red dots.  There are also a few mounts for red dot/holographic sights that use the rear sight base.

I have a Springfield M1A with the scout scope setup.  It's OK, but I'm not sure it's any better than the peep sight.

Kenny Hawgins:


--- Quote from: kodiakisland on December 09, 2019, 07:41:31 pm ---There are several mounts that are no drill options that mount into the rear sight base.
I do have to ask though, unless trying to make a vintage M1C or D sniper version, why a scope on a Garand?

You can replace the handguard with a picatinny rail for scout scopes/red dots.  There are also a few mounts for red dot/holographic sights that use the rear sight base.

I have a Springfield M1A with the scout scope setup.  It's OK, but I'm not sure it's any better than the peep sight.

--- End quote ---
Iím right handed but left eye dominant due to an astigmatism in my right eye. Thus, when it comes to long guns, Iíve always shot lefty.

Now I have corrective contacts for my right eye so Iím trying to switch back to the right but itís taking some time to learn to use the peep sights with my right eye. Hoping this can help ease the transition.

kodiakisland:


--- Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 10, 2019, 12:13:42 am ---I’m right handed but left eye dominant due to an astigmatism in my right eye. Thus, when it comes to long guns, I’ve always shot lefty.

Now I have corrective contacts for my right eye so I’m trying to switch back to the right but it’s taking some time to learn to use the peep sights with my right eye. Hoping this can help ease the transition.

--- End quote ---

OK, makes sense.  It should help quite a bit as it's a side mount that you may be able to shoot right handed, left eyed.  A red dot or holographic sight might be better if using the right eye.

hawgon:

Is it a Garand or a commercial Springfield M1?  If it is the commercial, that is basically a semi-auto M-14 and there are plenty of mounts out there for it.  If it is an actual Garand, youíd be better off practicing enough to overcome your limitations and getting used to the receiver sight.

And unless your astigmatism is perfectly corrected, forget about a red dot.  That little dot looks like a starburst instead of a dot and I have a pretty mild astigmatism.

Kenny Hawgins:


--- Quote from: hawgon on December 10, 2019, 08:00:50 am ---Is it a Garand or a commercial Springfield M1?  If it is the commercial, that is basically a semi-auto M-14 and there are plenty of mounts out there for it.  If it is an actual Garand, youíd be better off practicing enough to overcome your limitations and getting used to the receiver sight.

And unless your astigmatism is perfectly corrected, forget about a red dot.  That little dot looks like a starburst instead of a dot and I have a pretty mild astigmatism.

--- End quote ---
Itís a real Garand. Good condition with the heavy walnut stock.  Really a fun gun to shoot.

Youíre right; it will take practice. Part of it is just just developing the motor patterns on the opposite side of my body. Once I do that, itíll make the aiming easier.

BroyledNutts:

Might I suggest, if you haven't considered already, unless your M1 is a Tanker model ... It's more pricey than most, but they claim no modification of the Garand needed to mount ... might be worth a phone call to ask them.
http://ultimak.com/M12.htm

FYI - as of my post today, Brownell's has them in stock for $188 ... https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/m1-garand-forward-optic-mount-sku100007347-44067-80972.aspx                           

mods, remove links if not allowed.






Kenny Hawgins:

Interesting. Iíll check that out. Thanks

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version