• 10,668,705 Posts
• 418,139 Topics
• 24,522 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Irwin tweets  (Read 17375 times)

a shady hog

Re: Irwin tweets
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2019, 08:31:56 pm »

https://footballscoop.com/news/lane-kiffin-opens-faith/

Might want to read this
That is a GREAT story! It's a must read. I'm all aboard the Lane train for sure now. You cannot read that and not feel the same.

Muleriderhog

• Hogvillian
  • For the love of God, please hire Drinkwitz
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2019, 08:32:49 pm »

Just wondering when he came to this revelation?    His time at Alabama  has some question marks mixed into it.  I can't claim to know if the rumors are true or not but there is certainly smoke around him where ever he goes.
I'm always amazed at coaches who find he faith in helping people when they are making millions of dollars.  No saying it's not true but it is opportunistic.
Well probably his wife leaving and taking their kids with her to California because he cheated. Thatís enough to make a man change.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2019, 08:32:50 pm »

Some will ignore it, because it does not fit their agenda

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2019, 08:33:10 pm »

Itís fact.
Leach at this stage would be a decent mercenary, but, could he build what Kiffin or Norvell could? Im not so sure.

a shady hog

« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2019, 08:33:42 pm »

Well probably his wife leaving and taking his kids with her to California because he cheated. Thatís enough to make a man change.
Read this: https://footballscoop.com/news/lane-kiffin-opens-faith/

Hawg Life

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2019, 08:35:01 pm »

No....what they are trying do to is a classic GOBN hit.

That's what they're trying to do.

PRJ

Thatís already happened, and it didnít change anything. Kiffin is still the hire, and what youíre seeing now is just appeasing the $$$$. Leach reached out to us and was THE SMOKE!!!

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2019, 08:36:39 pm »

He's the guy that personally boosted Jerry Jones net worth from an inherited $2-3 million to over $100 million in a matter of 2-3 years.  All on the backs of the Arkla ratepayers (now CP Energy).

Thanks to Nelson, Jones was able to buy the Cowboys.
They both should have been put behind bars and had their assets seized.

Pennywise

« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2019, 08:37:13 pm »

Well probably his wife leaving and taking their kids with her to California because he cheated. Thatís enough to make a man change.

Big time wake up call due To poor choices.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2019, 08:38:36 pm »

Big time wake up call due To poor choices.

Been there myself.

Porkbutt Gary

« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2019, 08:39:56 pm »

Good lord not Butch Davis.

Butch would be the perfect hire for our current situation!  But will be skipped over again for a glamour name, and heíll keep on winning somewhere else

Muleriderhog

• Hogvillian
  • For the love of God, please hire Drinkwitz

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #261 on: December 02, 2019, 08:41:34 pm »

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2019, 08:44:06 pm »

I don't think Campbell is going to stir up that kind of excitement.  I think he's a good coach, but he was 7-5 this year and I doubt that a lot of normal fans have any idea who the coach at Iowa State is.

That's my take.  I don't doubt he's a good coach, but when our fans say, "Yeah, but if he can do that with Iowa State, just think what he could do here!" 

Really?  Because our programs, in terms of conference pecking order, recruiting challenges, etc....are not that different.  I think we would be signing on for a VERY similar number of wins.  While 7 wins sounds MAGICAL right now, that would wear out quickly with this fan base. 

I have ZERO reason to believe Campbell would come here and blow the doors off of anything.  In truth...same for Kiffin for me.  I think everyone is go geared up because he was the OC at Bama, but he hasn't really won big anywhere he's been.  Really...what has he done that is that much different from Morris??  Successful OC, average head coach when you look at the wins and recruiting numbers.  I may be one of the few, but I'm with MI....in that I don't foresee Kiffin tearing it up here.   

nwahogs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2019, 08:44:16 pm »

You can think anything you want. Unlike many posting here I never had any thought that any of the candidates should not be hired. In a segment we did on each of the possible candidates I indicated that Kiffin, because of his history, might be an issue for the BOT in light of the Petrino situation. But I've never personally had an issue with him or any of the others.

Giving an opinion on who I think might be the best hire is not the same thing as rejecting the rest of the field.

As for Leach, I know one of his best friends. He told me early on that Leach would come but wanted $6 million per. I know they contacted him. I was told this afternoon that he and Campbell are out because the BOT would not approve that kind of money.

Currently I remain somewhat puzzled as to why there's been no announcment on Kiffin. The championship game explanation is possible but it doesn't make much sense to me. I was told there is at least one other candidate HY will talk to and maybe more.

It is possible that was happening today. HY did indicate that his future flights will be stealthy.

Tomorrow afternoon would be a good time for a presser. The new coach could then be introduced at the basketball game. Saturday's game is on the road.

somebody explain this one to me please. why would the bot not approve a salary. why would they care if the rf and boosters are willing to provide the money

ifghog

« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2019, 08:45:29 pm »

God I hope so. I am disgusted at Yurachek for even interviewing Fuente. A disaster
If it's not Kiffin this would be a very good hire. To disagree just means you don't really understand coaching.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2019, 08:46:21 pm »

I don't think Campbell is going to stir up that kind of excitement.  I think he's a good coach, but he was 7-5 this year and I doubt that a lot of normal fans have any idea who the coach at Iowa State is.
Stirring up excitement and "normal" fan knowledge should have little to no bearing on who is hired.  Who Hunter Yurachek really believes can fix the program and WIN is the primary criteria.  Secondary is who he can convince to actually come do the job.

MikeyBagOíDonuts

« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2019, 08:47:14 pm »

Why? All a coach needs to know is kids are going to and passing classes. His job isn't to tell them what classes to take. Granted they weren't going to those classes, but that wouldn't have been something in a report givin to a coach.
Oh boy. Thatís a very naive and uninformed take. Coaches get very involved in their playersí academics, especially their stars. It is damn near impossible he didnít know what was going on.

ToddW

« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2019, 08:47:39 pm »

I have.

We should spam twitter with that article and make sure and tag Irwin, Wally, and whomever.  That is a good read.  I think failure in life and knowing what your past sins can cost you changes.  When you fall you have nowhere to go but up.  I think with Lane's past and Arkansas struggles it is a perfect match.  Both looking for redemption and a passionate fan base who is all hog.  Not to quote HDN, "but there is only one razorback".

Hawginj

« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2019, 08:48:53 pm »

Butch would be the perfect hire for our current situation!  But will be skipped over again for a glamour name, and heíll keep on winning somewhere else
winning what? His team isn't at top of his conference, and haven't been for 20 years

JW2GS

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2019, 08:50:18 pm »

If it's not Kiffin this would be a very good hire. To disagree just means you don't really understand coaching.

Seems like Fuente jump started Memphis' current success ... never hurts to listen to somebody's pitch

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2019, 08:53:45 pm »

That's my take.  I don't doubt he's a good coach, but when our fans say, "Yeah, but if he can do that with Iowa State, just think what he could do here!" 

Really?  Because our programs, in terms of conference pecking order, recruiting challenges, etc....are not that different.  I think we would be signing on for a VERY similar number of wins.  While 7 wins sounds MAGICAL right now, that would wear out quickly with this fan base. 

I have ZERO reason to believe Campbell would come here and blow the doors off of anything.  In truth...same for Kiffin for me.  I think everyone is go geared up because he was the OC at Bama, but he hasn't really won big anywhere he's been.  Really...what has he done that is that much different from Morris??  Successful OC, average head coach when you look at the wins and recruiting numbers.  I may be one of the few, but I'm with MI....in that I don't foresee Kiffin tearing it up here.
Add to that his actual specialty (Heacock too) is stopping spread teams, he's really in the perfect conference for that right now. When they lined up against a balanced attack last week vs an equal opponent in K-State, they couldnt stop the run.

I like Campbell; Id pop bottles for Campbell. But I wouldnt pay him 6 million per when I could have Kiffin for 3.5...

Morristuarusbrokedown

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2019, 08:55:15 pm »

Seems like Fuente jump started Memphis' current success ... never hurts to listen to somebody's pitch
everybody say it with me.....  SEC experience or nothing...... do you want another Bret or Chad????????????????????????????

BILLYBOB

• Youíll get nothing and like it
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2019, 08:56:46 pm »

Fuente feels like Morris 2.0. I know Fuentes is a better coach. Nonetheless, it still feels like Full Tilt Boogie 2.0. Hope we go a different direction.

JW2GS

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2019, 08:58:36 pm »

everybody say it with me.....  SEC experience or nothing...... do you want another Bret or Chad????????????????????????????

I agree ... but nothing wrong with interviewing a guy that jump started a crappy program to respectable.  When HY's 1,2 and 3 fall through because they can't lead Sunday school class, you don't want to be stuck with Morris 2.0 options ... Fuente doesn't appear to be Morris 2.0 ... VT and the ACC isn't SMU and AAC

BILLYBOB

• Youíll get nothing and like it
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2019, 08:58:51 pm »

Add to that his actual specialty (Heacock too) is stopping spread teams, he's really in the perfect conference for that right now. When they lined up against a balanced attack last week vs an equal opponent in K-State, they couldnt stop the run.

I like Campbell; Id pop bottles for Campbell. But I wouldnt pay him 6 million per when I could have Kiffin for 3.5...

Who gives a damn? Itís not our money. Hell, spend $10 million a year and get that boney ass Lincoln Wiley over here.

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2019, 09:06:03 pm »

I'm not a big Kiffin fan, but comparing him in any  way to Morris is just wrong.  Morris was terrible and had no reason to think he could fix this mess.  14-22 overall as a HC.   Kiffin is considerably better.   Not as good as some we should be trying to get in my mind but we appear to be unwilling to open the bank to get a dynamic hire.   So Arkansas football will go on a wing and a prayer again.

Pennywise

« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2019, 09:08:16 pm »

Been there myself.

Same. Thank God my kiddo ainít in California though.

Seebs

« Reply #277 on: December 02, 2019, 09:08:54 pm »

Just to clarify, are you calling Wally Hall a booster?
Wally's seat is called a  booster

Seebs

« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2019, 09:09:52 pm »

Yes. The 40-year-old recruits will be busting the door down to play for him.

Pennywise

« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2019, 09:10:25 pm »

I canít believe that Nikki girl really put her neck out there by breaking that kiffin will be the next head coach. Saw it on my bleacher report app from about 2 hours ago. Poor girl is grasping for relevancy.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:10 pm »

Good lord not Butch Davis.
I'll take Davis over Leach any day.  He knows what defense is and he can recruit.  2 things Leach doesn't care about. 

a shady hog

« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:40 pm »

I canít believe that Nikki girl really put her neck out there by breaking that kiffin will be the next head coach. Saw it on my bleacher report app from about 2 hours ago. Poor girl is grasping for relevancy.
Link?

sechog

« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2019, 09:15:58 pm »

You can think anything you want. Unlike many posting here I never had any thought that any of the candidates should not be hired. In a segment we did on each of the possible candidates I indicated that Kiffin, because of his history, might be an issue for the BOT in light of the Petrino situation. But I've never personally had an issue with him or any of the others.

Giving an opinion on who I think might be the best hire is not the same thing as rejecting the rest of the field.

As for Leach, I know one of his best friends. He told me early on that Leach would come but wanted $6 million per. I know they contacted him. I was told this afternoon that he and Campbell are out because the BOT would not approve that kind of money.

Currently I remain somewhat puzzled as to why there's been no announcment on Kiffin. The championship game explanation is possible but it doesn't make much sense to me. I was told there is at least one other candidate HY will talk to and maybe more.

It is possible that was happening today. HY did indicate that his future flights will be stealthy.

Tomorrow afternoon would be a good time for a presser. The new coach could then be introduced at the basketball game. Saturday's game is on the road.

Looks like either the BOT needs to be in approval of Kiffin or open up the pocket book for Leach or others!

Corkscrew Johnson

• Hey Houston, hold onto my rope!!
« Reply #283 on: December 02, 2019, 09:17:37 pm »

Wally's seat is called a  booster

Ha.

ArkieDukie

• Band Nerd
« Reply #284 on: December 02, 2019, 09:18:09 pm »

Yeah, I'll believe a Dukie to be impartial in UNC matters😩😩
Okay, maybe youíll believe CNN?? Note where it says Butch Davis also admitted to having some knowledge. https://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc-report-academic-fraud/index.html

Iíve cringed every time Butch Davisí name has come up in association with one of our searches over the last few years. Count me as one whoís relieved heís not in the mix this time around.

I am not sure why Iím getting so many patronizing responses to claims that Davis was involved in the unc academic scandal. Iíve been following this story since it first broke in NC (I think around 2013, but maybe a bit earlier). Yes, Bunting was in it up to his eyeballs, but so was Davis. Granted, maybe not to the same level, but he certainly took advantage of the system in place. Williams too (check out the roster of his first NCAA championship team, especially). And, seriously, if you want some fun, look at Pack Prideís investigative work on P.J. Hairston in the summer of 2013. Every bit the equal to the plane tracking here. Theyíre the ones who proved that a rich booster was giving rental cars to PJ Hairston. Really clever work. UNC would say something wasnít true; within a few hours someone on Pack Pride have evidence that it was.

Pennywise

« Reply #285 on: December 02, 2019, 09:18:27 pm »

Link?

May be a dupe. This rumor stuff has gotten out of hand if itís on bleacher report. Geez.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #286 on: December 02, 2019, 09:19:05 pm »

I'm not a big Kiffin fan, but comparing him in any  way to Morris is just wrong.  Morris was terrible and had no reason to think he could fix this mess.  14-22 overall as a HC.   Kiffin is considerably better.   Not as good as some we should be trying to get in my mind but we appear to be unwilling to open the bank to get a dynamic hire.   So Arkansas football will go on a wing and a prayer again.

Morris coming in...had promise, and a proven track record of consistent improvement.  He had some things going for him...TX recruiting ties, upswing at SMU, and huge success as a HS coach coupled with the success at Clemson as OC.  Remember...he had Dabo, Gus, and others touting him.  So as fans...it's easy for us to say he was inept, and in way over his head, but there were a LOT of dymanics at play that we aren't completely privy to.  Failed...MISERABLY, but to suggest another coach can't come in and struggle mightily is probably not accurate either. 

While it may not be fair to compare them, I feel its fair to suggest that neither of them come in with an amazing track record of winning as HC's in CFB, for a myriad of possible reasons. 

But I submit this...if the hope is that Kiffin's charisma, Saban's tutelage, and knowing what it takes to win in the SEC has improved his stock since his attempt at USC, then I hope you're right.  Because what people THINK he can do here, is precisely what they THOUGHT he would do at USC, at his DREAM job.  And...well.... 

ArkieDukie

• Band Nerd
« Reply #287 on: December 02, 2019, 09:19:21 pm »

I agree ... but nothing wrong with interviewing a guy that jump started a crappy program to respectable.  When HY's 1,2 and 3 fall through because they can't lead Sunday school class, you don't want to be stuck with Morris 2.0 options ... Fuente doesn't appear to be Morris 2.0 ... VT and the ACC isn't SMU and AAC
Duke beat the stuffing out of VT in Blacksburg, before their end-of-season skid. Just saying...

Mike Irwin

« Reply #288 on: December 02, 2019, 09:20:06 pm »

You have brothers in your profession bashing him, calling him a womanizer. Bashing the manís character. Which I think was done by orders of some powerful people not wanting him to be our coach
Not sure who in the media you're referring to. Maybe Wally who is clearly negative toward him as a hire. I read some stuff on Twitter about a couple of guys on the BOT who are supposedly not willing to vote for him but who knows if that's real?

All I know is, this morning a bunch of folks were claiming Kiffin was a done deal. Maybe they are right but the delay suggests that HY is still talking to others.

There was some chatter in the crowd at Musselman's radio show that Butch Davis has Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones and John Tyson lobbying for him.

This is the way these coach searches go. Lot's of rumors.

Oliver

« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2019, 09:20:56 pm »

somebody explain this one to me please. why would the bot not approve a salary. why would they care if the rf and boosters are willing to provide the money

I donít know.  All I do know is if that statement is true, that tells me all I need to know about this coaching search.  Iíve lowered my expectations considerably

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #290 on: December 02, 2019, 09:21:11 pm »

Weíve reached the stage of the search where most everyone loses their S. Shouldnít be too long now.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #291 on: December 02, 2019, 09:21:33 pm »

Iím a Leach guy but yes Kiffin will be the next coach, but if Leach does go to Ole Miss, we will lose to them every year. Leach is the man, should be him the money he wants.
If Leach was "the man" he wouldn't still be at wash st after all these years.  AD's realize he is a one trick pony and can get you to "average" pretty consistently but not good to great on a yearly basis.  He is not passionate enough about recruiting to do it and that's what it takes to be great.   

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #292 on: December 02, 2019, 09:21:35 pm »

You have brothers in your profession bashing him, calling him a womanizer. Bashing the manís character. Which I think was done by orders of some powerful people not wanting him to be our coach

I get the point you are making. Folks can change.

UA fans have a particularly close view of a "man of God" who often behaved anything but that way as he worked his way to the top of the college football coaching community. We were burned by his antics a couple of times (or, by those who supported him and used faith as a vehicle for that support).

Each of us has our own spiritual path; some have chosen to not have one.

Most around here don't slow down in their bashing of Bielema to note his work on building spiritual character when he was here as a coach. Somehow, the spiritual stuff gets lots behind the football stuff. So, I prefer to just leave it out to begin with. Obviously, there are a lot who would disagree.

Pennywise

« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2019, 09:22:40 pm »

Weíve reached the stage of the search where most everyone loses their S. Shouldnít be too long now.

Itís boiling over at a fast rate.

hogsfan31

« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2019, 09:23:15 pm »

Thereís a fake account acting like her real account.

Pennywise

« Reply #295 on: December 02, 2019, 09:23:52 pm »

Thereís a fake account acting like her real account.

Iím seeing. Even BR was sacked in dung.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #296 on: December 02, 2019, 09:24:10 pm »

So what Iím getting from this is that there is little to nothing that is solid because HY is running a tight ship and keeping his thoughts to himself.

LAGNAF

« Reply #297 on: December 02, 2019, 09:29:02 pm »

Some will ignore it, because it does not fit their agenda

Youíre no different than those youíre bashing.....if they dont see things your way theyíre in the wrong.

ArkieDukie

• Band Nerd
« Reply #298 on: December 02, 2019, 09:30:02 pm »

So did Roy, yet there he still coaches.
You, preacher, me, choir. He shouldíve been fired and his 2005 and 2009 NCAA championships vacated. I lost all respect I once had for him.

I was looking for a roster with majors. Magically, they have disappeared. His entire 2005 team and a good chunk of the 2009 team were AFAM majors - including Tyler Hansbrough. I cannot imagine why unc would want that information to disappear.

PearlHarbor

« Reply #299 on: December 02, 2019, 09:31:00 pm »

We won't be hiring a coach till after conference championship games. Therefore, any talk this week is just smokescreens.
Next week, the truth will come out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas