• 10,633,779 Posts
• 417,188 Topics
• 24,425 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Have we been turned down by four coaches????  (Read 7140 times)

traffordhog

Have we been turned down by four coaches????
« on: December 02, 2019, 05:20:33 pm »

Today on the noon show the guys on WJOX in Birmingham said Arkansas had been told “no” by Gus, Campbell, Fuente, and an unnamed former SEC coach and was now “down to Lane Kiffin.”  I don’t know how they would know this and I doubt seriously the job has been offered to anyone other than Kiffin.  They also said the Ole Miss and Missouri jobs were better than Arkansas. It’s tough living in Alabama when it comes to football.

Muleriderhog

• Hogvillian
  • For the love of God, please hire Kiffin.
Re: Have we been turned down by four coaches????
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 05:22:02 pm »

Kiffin was the first guy we talked to and is first on HY list. He just did his due diligence reaching out to other coaches like any good AD would do.

Edit: Also, we NEVER talked to Gus.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

greenie

• Hogvillian
  • Nothin' better than dunking on Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 05:22:54 pm »

Kiffin was the first guy we talked to and is first on HY list. He just did his due diligence reaching out to other coaches like any good AD would do.

This.
HY was after Kiffin from day 1, but was doing his job professionally.  When Kiffin signs, he will have signed 1a.

sgrimmett

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:23:24 pm »

Today on the noon show the guys on WJOX in Birmingham said Arkansas had been told “no” by Gus, Campbell, Fuente, and an unnamed former SEC coach and was now “down to Lane Kiffin.”  I don’t know how they would know this and I doubt seriously the job has been offered to anyone other than Kiffin.  They also said the Ole Miss and Missouri jobs were better than Arkansas. It’s tough living in Alabama when it comes to football.

I live in Birmingham. JOX has been bad talking Arkansas all year, and consistently thought our #1 guy was Gus this search. They are out of the loop. Justin Fuente would’ve crawled from Virginia for the job. Literally, he would’ve crawled.

farmhawg

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:24:06 pm »

I hope you kicked them square on in the ballsack....

Hawginj

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 05:24:40 pm »

Never talked to Gus he has been long gone his minions scattered to the winds. Campbell said no only one that was asked besides Kiffin to appease some money people. Fuente isn't above Kiffin.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 05:25:12 pm »

We were turned down by 3 to my knowledge. Norvell, Campbell, and Stoops , whose denial was not to a formal offer.

Deep Shoat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 05:26:24 pm »

We've been told "no" by one coach.  Matt Campbell, yesterday morning.

Kiffin is our second option.  The ball is in his court.  Many people believe it is a done deal.

Fuente is number three.  He has not turned us down yet, and in fact has only had cursory contact in case we decide to pursue him.

These things I am 100% sure of. 

Bill Clark is rumored to be #4.  That I am not sure of at all.

Oh, and we haven't even attempted to talk to Gus.

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 05:27:00 pm »

Anyone who floated Gus does not know jack shedt about our coaching search

VanMeter

• Band Nerd
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 05:27:07 pm »

Holtz coached at USC but don't think he turned us down.

Hogwild

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 05:28:42 pm »

Kiffin is our second option.  The ball is in his court.  Many people believe it is a done deal.

this

Porknoxville

• Varsity
Dr. Jerry Punch stated on 99.1 the Sports Animal, in Knoxville today that.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 05:28:51 pm »

A source(unnamed) told him Lane Kiffin was going to be named the Hogs new HC!

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 05:30:14 pm »

A lot of inaccurate information there....a lot..

Hawginj

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 05:30:16 pm »

We were turned down by 3 to my knowledge.
i don't count Stoops because that was dumb to begin with. Did they talk to Ruhle?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 05:32:03 pm »

Fuente is number three.  He has not turned us down yet, and in fact has only had cursory contact in case we decide to pursue him.

Yep. This is correct. Caveat, maybe Norvell told us not to bother thru somebody. In fact he told us two years ago to not ever even try again, so, maybe we didnt even try. I dont think we offered rhule or stoops or leach.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 05:33:33 pm »

We never asked Gus so they're full of crap from the start.

ricepig

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 05:36:55 pm »

We were turned down by 3 to my knowledge. Norvell, Campbell, and Stoops , whose denial was not to a formal offer.

And they were?

Hoggiedawg

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 05:38:53 pm »

I don't know about the rest, but Campbell was thought to be a done deal. He was thought to be the one and that the offer was expected to be accepted. Not looking good now. Most likely a no.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 05:44:44 pm »

Yes Gus did turn us down.

This was after HY offered him a buck and a quarter and wanted a shoeshine too.

Killean

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 05:44:49 pm »

I don't know about the rest, but Campbell was thought to be a done deal. He was thought to be the one and that the offer was expected to be accepted. Not looking good now. Most likely a no.

I'm curious as to who exactly expected Campbell to say yes.

Hawg n GA

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 05:45:05 pm »

Mike Irwin tweeted:  Campbell & Leach want in the $5-6 million range. I'm told they are out. Kiffin has been interviewed but another interview is pending. Maybe with Fuente or Davis. If Kiffin was a done deal I can't figure the hold up. If a coach they want has said yes he needs to be here now.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 05:45:07 pm »

Mike Nail just said on KNWA that Matt Campbell wanted 6 mil to come here and the board wouldn't pay that ....

If true, they are not committed to building a winning program; only an economic one.

Athog

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 05:45:08 pm »

They are meddling in business they have no knowledge of what is going on just like 99.9% of people on here.

jcbville

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 05:46:22 pm »

Theyre in Birmingham and they led with Gus and you have to ask if its true or not? Come on man.

JackJohnson

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 05:49:31 pm »

Mike Irwin tweeted:  Campbell & Leach want in the $5-6 million range. I'm told they are out. Kiffin has been interviewed but another interview is pending. Maybe with Fuente or Davis. If Kiffin was a done deal I can't figure the hold up. If a coach they want has said yes he needs to be here now.

If we aren’t willing to pay 5-6 million for a coach then we will never again knock on the door of even mediocrity, much less Petrino level like Campbell could get us to

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2019, 05:50:31 pm »

They are thinking Gus and Nutt and they are dumbasses. 

jabberjawls

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2019, 05:51:22 pm »

If you haven't figured out by now that MI is the UA's mouthpiece for propaganda, then, well....I'm sorry.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2019, 05:53:47 pm »

I think its always important to remember that we may reach out to a LOT of coaches to see if they have any interest and they could say they don't have interest but that isn't exactly the same thing as being told "no".  The way that's phrased its like we "offered" all of them and that would be patently false.  We may have put out feelers to each of them and just were told they weren't interested or were told what they would require in order to entertain talks but I seriously doubt we made any offers other than to Kiffin or, if we did, perhaps to Campbell. 

bondhue

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 05:57:12 pm »

If we aren’t willing to pay 5-6 million for a coach then we will never again knock on the door of even mediocrity, much less Petrino level like Campbell could get us to
What's his new buyout?  Not turning ad block off to find out, but the old one was 7 mill if I remember.

lakecityhog

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 06:02:15 pm »

Does ANYONE here have proof that Campbell was offered the job?
People here read posts by a certain few "in-the-know" guys and take their shtick as the gospel and it is nothing more than blatant rumor mongering.

PetrinoFan

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 06:03:24 pm »

Considering the cost of living and everything else, Fayetteville, the golf courses, outdoor life, and how it is ranked for living, it is pretty high up there and a great place to live. 

Also, we know what a great coach can do here.  10-3, 11-2 his last two years here.

jbott

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 06:04:40 pm »

Sounds like trash radio

Hogless

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 06:07:45 pm »

5-6 mil might be a bargain if we keep paying mediocre salaries and firing coaches every 2-4 years and paying  huge buyouts!! Just saying pay it Up front and be done with it!

JW2GS

• Band Nerd
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 06:09:10 pm »

Sounds like my Auburn alum friends that were surprised when I told them there are plenty of Arkansas fans that aren't interested in the return of Gus.  They just figured everyone in Arkansas would love to have their hand-me-downs.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 06:10:07 pm »

Does ANYONE here have proof that Campbell was offered the job?
People here read posts by a certain few "in-the-know" guys and take their shtick as the gospel and it is nothing more than blatant rumor mongering.
Yes.

bjeffersonhog

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 06:28:50 pm »

Here's the thing with being an AD.  Sometimes you have to talk to people and check their interest just to keep the boosters and the board happy.  Also it doesn't hurt to talk to a couple other people in case your top choice decides he doesn't want to come. 

texas tush hog

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 06:37:08 pm »

Yes.

Kiffin for 5 years at $3.75 million per plus a bunch for assistants pool. The hold up is HY dragging his feet so Kiffin can coach this Saturday in his Conference championship game.

bjeffersonhog

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 06:42:19 pm »

Kiffin for 5 years at $3.75 million per plus a bunch for assistants pool. The hold up is HY dragging his feet so Kiffin can coach this Saturday in his Conference championship game.

This is one reason Kiffin was my first choice if true.  He was rumored to take less money so he could pay for better assistant coaches.  He knows how important the position coaches are to winning, and winning leads to him getting more money.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 06:42:46 pm »

Ultimately the Best case scenario.

Would show that HY has Kiffin's back and the deal is done.

stronguard

• And remember, I said with all due respect.....
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 06:45:08 pm »

I'm hearing the job is LK's, its ALWAYS been LK's.  The other coaches named were a smokescreen (thank God, cause most of them suck) 

hitch1956

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 06:47:40 pm »

bull nobody knows who turned us down or what we are offering. nobody know anything but HY

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 06:48:11 pm »

Campbell's "no" is not just about UA, it is about his other options. He may be waiting to see if Michigan State or Penn State open. Or, an NFL gig. He is this year's Urban Meyer at Utah guy, just waiting to land in the perfect situation.

Name not being mentioned that maybe should be mentioned: Rhule.

bcdrules

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 06:49:25 pm »

I think Rhule will be coaching in the NFL next year

texas tush hog

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »

Campbell's "no" is not just about UA, it is about his other options. He may be waiting to see if Michigan State or Penn State open. Or, an NFL gig. He is this year's Urban Meyer at Utah guy, just waiting to land in the perfect situation.

Name not being mentioned that maybe should be mentioned: Rhule.

Rhule is going to Penn State when James Franklin leaves for USC or Florida State.

traffordhog

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2019, 06:52:13 pm »

Six million for the grand slam hire (Meyer, Stoops,) would be different. But imo Campbell nor Leach is worth 6 million per year.  Kiffin all day long for me.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2019, 06:53:00 pm »

I live in Birmingham. JOX has been bad talking Arkansas all year, and consistently thought our #1 guy was Gus this search. They are out of the loop. Justin Fuente would’ve crawled from Virginia for the job. Literally, he would’ve crawled.

Birmingham is closer to Tuscaloosa than Auburn. They want Gus out of their so he'll quite beating the Tide.

raz1965

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2019, 06:54:04 pm »

Makes sense that if Kiffin is the man no word will leak out untill after his last game Saturday, and furthermore if no news is out before midweek then all bets should be on Kiffin.

Pennywise

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2019, 06:59:47 pm »

Mike Irwin is hard to stomach now. Old and grouchy. My wife heard him from the kitchen and said that guy seems angry. Pegged him.

Can’t stand him. My wife has said the same thing.

SRV

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2019, 07:01:22 pm »

I hope you kicked them square on in the ballsack....

Twice

coach, my back hurts

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2019, 07:09:47 pm »

Six million for the grand slam hire (Meyer, Stoops,) would be different. But imo Campbell nor Leach is worth 6 million per year.  Kiffin all day long for me.

Kind of my thoughts as well. Especially on Leach. I would give Campbell 5m tops. He’s probably earned that.

But I guess what concerns me is, did we not offer the 6m because we thought it was too much, or did we think it was too much for them? Big difference.

I’d rather have Kiffin anyways. We could use a dose of his arrogance in that lockeroom. Our players need a boost of confidence in the worst way.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas