• 10,634,031 Posts
• 417,196 Topics
• 24,427 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hulu Live vs. Sling TV  (Read 1414 times)

Cmheinley

Hulu Live vs. Sling TV
« on: December 02, 2019, 04:11:29 pm »

Please move to the appropriate place if needed.
Hulu Live is about to go up to $54.99/mo. Sling TV has ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3 under their $25/mo package. If you opt to pay for 2 months in advanced, you get a fire stick with Alexa remote and also receive a 3 month $15 off of sling TV promo. Furthermore, if Hulu is a must for your wife/kids, Hulu is running a 12 month promotion for $1.99/mo. Promotional offer ends tonight. This is basically a $30/mo savings to have access to the same content.

Hog_One_Stop

Re: Hulu Live vs. Sling TV
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:42:29 pm »

Sling doesnít offer local channels that is why I went with Hulu, but them going up Iím looking for something else. Does  You tube Tv offer local channels?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 04:51:50 pm »

Sling doesnít offer local channels that is why I went with Hulu, but them going up Iím looking for something else. Does  You tube Tv offer local channels?

YouTubeTV offers the locals for the 4 major networks and I get one of my UHF stations in the KC market. Their package runs like $51 though. I did a trial of Sling side by side and the Sling stream quality is poor compared to YouTube. I have 1G fiber internet connection. Love the YouTube unlimited DVR, with I think 60 day retention.

seXual cHOGolate

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Deviant mental ward patient
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 04:58:54 pm »

I'm about to put up an old school antenna....hate directv/at&t  >:(

Then I'll go with hulu, sling or youtube...I pay 150 and I hate my service. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:06:33 pm »

Had DirecTV since it launched. I was one of the first 100,000 customers. When they reached 30 million subscribers I was paying right at $200 for a 3 DVR/5 Receiver package per month. Throw in the old college football, college basketball packages, some early years where I paid for Sunday Ticket and I spent enough for a nice little cabin on a lake over the 25 years. Cut that crap in January. YouTubeTV better picture quality, no outages in weather, unlimited DVR with a better interface, saving $150 a month is just gravy!!

Dantztime

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 05:24:40 pm »

Hulu Live is about to go up to $54.99/mo. Sling TV has ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3 under their $25/mo package. If you opt to pay for 2 months in advanced, you get a fire stick with Alexa remote and also receive a 3 month $15 off of sling TV promo. Furthermore, if Hulu is a must for your wife/kids, Hulu is running a 12 month promotion for $1.99/mo. Promotional offer ends tonight. This is basically a $30/mo savings to have access to the same content.

I found, when I had sling tv, that the reception/lagging was really bad. It's super frustrating to be watching a live sporting event and the tv keeps pausing. I've got another buddy who has the same problem. I really like HULU live TV, but with the price hike I'm going to try out Youtube TV

daprospecta

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 06:12:00 pm »

YouTubeTV offers the locals for the 4 major networks and I get one of my UHF stations in the KC market. Their package runs like $51 though. I did a trial of Sling side by side and the Sling stream quality is poor compared to YouTube. I have 1G fiber internet connection. Love the YouTube unlimited DVR, with I think 60 day retention.
Youtube tv is the most expensive but the best by far. I also love you can use your gmail account as your account and you send the membership to up to 6 other people with gmail accounts. You can have 3 streams at once.

Razor8

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 06:28:38 pm »

I have hulu live and access to my brother in laws youtube tv, i find them to be pretty comparable. Streaming quality is great. Not happy with the price hikes but still better than cable. Our internet is 150 Mb and we have been able to stream 3 ipads, and 2 amazon fire sticks all at once with no problems.

porkbellys

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 06:46:56 pm »

+1 for YouTubeTV.

Lud42

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 06:51:02 pm »

Have Hulu live and have no complaints. Have had Youtube TV and liked it as well, the wife didn't like the user interface is the only reason we didn't keep it. Have access to Sling and it's okay, but no local channels. They are the only streaming service with NFL Redzone, though and that's a big plus.

rzrbackramsfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • This job is Leachís, beaches
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 07:11:15 pm »

For sling, Iíd recommend the Apple TV promo if they have it and pay $5 more a month for the SEC package

rzrbackramsfan

• This job is Leachís, beaches
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 07:14:00 pm »

Sounds pretty good.  Didnít really think about it but YouTube probably has way better servers and what not. 

LittlePigMan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 07:24:58 pm »

YouTube is having a special 3 week free trail going on right now.

elkhog

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 09:43:13 am »

At $60 a month you may as well go with Directv or Dish.  Dang, that's a lot. 

I wish someone would let us pick our own channel lineup.  There are only about a dozen I watch regularly.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 10:45:08 am »

YouTube TV with an Apple 4k is amazing. Great price, exceptional streaming quality, and DVR w/ on demand.

I get local channels, all the sports channels, and the regional Fox Channel to watch the 11-Time World Series Champions St. Louis Cardinals.

No commitment. No equipment. Cancel any time.

LRHawg

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 10:46:48 am »

Really happy with Youtube TV. Can't beat the unlimited DVR. I'm currently using an Nvidia Shield and streaming with Youtube Tv, Netflix, HBO Now, and Disney+. All that and it's still way cheaper than my old Directv bill.

ATU HOG

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 11:00:25 am »

I'm debating just going with regular Hulu.  I have live right now, but we pretty much only watch "live" football/and or basketball.  Half the time we go to Foghorns for that.

Can I still get all the on demand stuff if I just go with Hulu regular?

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 11:05:26 am »

I have Hulu and really like it. It should also be mentioned that Hulu has much more on demand content than Sling or YouTube tv. If you donít care to watch tv series or movies on demand, then I would recommend YouTube. If you are someone who would like to be able to watch virtually any tv series on demand, then Hulu is definitely worth the price.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 11:49:58 am »

For those who dont understand the lingo, On-Demand is access to any show, but there are built in commercials you cant skip. DVR is like recording a show, so you can fast forward thru commercials. Streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc. do not have commercials.

Hog-Corleone

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:48 pm »

Disney+ is $12.99, and you get ESPN+, and $5.00 off of HULU live.  That is what i am doing right now.  I have had sling as well, i prefer HULU live.  I have not tried YouTube TV, but have heard good things about it as well.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 03:33:08 pm »

Disney+ is $12.99, and you get ESPN+, and $5.00 off of HULU live.  That is what i am doing right now.  I have had sling as well, i prefer HULU live.  I have not tried YouTube TV, but have heard good things about it as well.

If you do the Disney+ bundle, you can get Hulu Live for $39? Hulu Live is originally $44.99. I'm interested......

Hog-Corleone

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 03:37:30 pm »

If you do the Disney+ bundle, you can get Hulu Live for $39? Hulu Live is originally $44.99. I'm interested......

You have to sign up for Disney+ with the exact same email and PW that you used for HULU.  That is how you get the credit.  You also use the same info for ESPN+

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 03:58:04 pm »

You have to sign up for Disney+ with the exact same email and PW that you used for HULU.  That is how you get the credit.  You also use the same info for ESPN+

Not bad. Doing some research and found where Hulu Live is going up to $54.99 soon.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 04:01:29 pm »

I also just saw where Playstation Vue is shutting down in January 2020. So beware to any subscribers on here.

BeaverHog

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »

I also just saw where Playstation Vue is shutting down in January 2020. So beware to any subscribers on here.

Did not know that. Thatís what I have.

majestic

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 06:40:07 pm »

Not bad. Doing some research and found where Hulu Live is going up to $54.99 soon.
Insane. Might as well just keep cable.

PorcineSublime

• Global Moderator
  • Here we go!!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 07:16:25 pm »

YouTube TV has not let me down so far. Great picture and just about every channel you could want. Extensive sports channels, local channels, and all the news channels along with the TNT, TBS, FX channels and the Discovery family of channels. All for $50. I have added Showtime and would never go back to DTV.

Cmheinley

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 09:13:30 pm »

Just a heads up for people looking to switch. I missed over half the game because SEC Network is no longer part of the Sling Orange package. You have to add the "Sports Package" to it which is an additional $10/mo. So you're looking at $35/mo for all hogs content

coach, my back hurts

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 10:07:14 pm »

YouTube TV subscriber here and like it so far. There hasnít been a CFB game I havenít been able to watch.

We have ESPN+ through our subscription so I have watched all but 1 basketball game.(just didnít watch it)

Also have Disney. Our DTV bill was around $120. We pay $57 or so for YT and Disney.

We shouldíve cut the cord years ago. If you can deal without 200+ channels that you donít watch, I highly recommend YT. The others will be fine as well.

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 10:13:45 pm »

I went with Gigablast thru cox only to get the internet.   Then got the ROKU stick which has all of these channels providers on it.  I went with Sling Orange and Blue.  I paid i think 10$ for all the sports package.  I get Netflix free thru Tmobile, i watch that with my smart TVs if i want to watch movies. From the ROKU you can hit PLAY on the home screen and then you get the VUDU stuff free.  you can rent the latest movies from it, or you can watch movies free (with 2 ads every now and then) its the unedited versions.  just with Ads.   I think i am spending around 80$-90 total.  I was spending over $200 for ATT Uverse/Directv.  Internet suckeddddd thru Directv when i switched to them.  Now i have great internet, streaming TV, watch all i want. I get ESPN3 as a regular channel without having to put it on my laptop or tablet and direct beam it to my TV to watch the baseball games or any other game that may be on Espn3   I love it!  Will never go back to one of the other services!   Which, heck you can add all the channels in package blocks if you still dont have the channels you want.  The basic orange and blue give me everything  i ever watch.   very satisfied

majestic

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 10:20:26 pm »

YouTube TV subscriber here and like it so far. There hasnít been a CFB game I havenít been able to watch.

We have ESPN+ through our subscription so I have watched all but 1 basketball game.(just didnít watch it)

Also have Disney. Our DTV bill was around $120. We pay $57 or so for YT and Disney.

We shouldíve cut the cord years ago. If you can deal without 200+ channels that you donít watch, I highly recommend YT. The others will be fine as well.

How much is your internet bill?

redeye

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2019, 10:58:42 pm »

I did that several months ago and it's great.  I didn't want to be tied to any service for local channels, so I joined Sling and got a free AirTV.  Added an external drive and now I can record local channels.  There are better OTA DVRs, but you can also buy a cheap one at Walmart for ~$35.

I probably won't stick with Sling, but it is the least expensive for ESPN and the SECN.  Ironically, my stream quality for SECN+ is so bad that I'll often watch illegal streams, instead, because the quality is better.  I don't think it's Sling, either, because it's the same when I use the ESPN app.

Alpha 211

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2019, 11:07:15 pm »

Hulu has been an incredibly horrid experience for us. Can't skip commercials (we pay the premium), looks like an old dubbed movie (mouth and words not in sync),stuff like that

PorcineSublime

• Global Moderator
  • Here we go!!
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 07:19:11 pm »

How much is your internet bill?
Don't want speak for others, but I would have high speed internet regardless. Need it for work. I had it when I had DTV as well (paying $160 for DTV and still paying $90 mo for cox internet).

CoachHogT

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:04 pm »

Hulu checked all the boxes for me. Must haves....
1) FOX news
2) History Channel/AHC/ID
3) Local channels
4) SEC network
5) movies
6) Great Quality
7) Easy to navigate

I had ATT Direct bare bones cable, no SEC, few movies, $80/month. Hulu is 👍
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas