• 10,843,425 Posts
• 422,447 Topics
• 24,797 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: favorite matches on youtube  (Read 1198 times)

husker71

favorite matches on youtube
« on: November 28, 2019, 03:39:59 pm »

When I am talking wrestling to someone and they want to watch a match for just enjoyment I always show Undertaker vs Mankind Hell in the Cell.  How about you??  One match on youtube that you could watch what would it be??  For some reason I like Memphis wrestling alot to (more exciting) Lawler vs every bad guy Hart could find.  One hidden gem to me is the Ox Baker riot match where the wrestlers barely made it back to the dressing room (just type in Ox Baker riot)

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
Re: favorite matches on youtube
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 04:11:05 pm »

I enjoy just about any match that has a good storyline. Now days, too many matches seem like they’re just thrown together with no reason and no build.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 04:23:19 pm »

husker71

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 01:27:05 am »

Cornette says this match saved wrestling for Jerry Jarrett and his company.  Forgot all about it but thanks for posting it here

jbcarol

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 08:34:27 pm »

Dante Fox v. Killshot (Hell of War)

Hogwop

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 09:49:59 pm »

too many matches seem like they’re just thrown together with no reason and no build.

That's because they are

husker71

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 06:16:40 pm »

This is what I miss about all the regional wrestling we had back in the day. Say there were 7 or 8 regions then you could bring in guy(s) into your region from say Memphis to Dallas or to Minneapolis or to Portland and then get them into your storyline and then after a few months and the story is dead on to Florida or Georgia or the Carolinas.  Now mostly the same guys just in different combinations

husker71

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 06:19:58 pm »

I remember when I was in 5th grade or so going down to the magazine and cigar store and getting a wrestling magazine that showed all the regions with the top 10 or so in each reason and then the same with the tag teams.  Guys I wanted to see were the Kangaroos from the East coast and the original Sheik from Detroit and the Funks from Texas

secthumper

• Senior
  • 2005 Hogville College Football Pickem Champion
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 03:38:44 pm »

When I am talking wrestling to someone and they want to watch a match for just enjoyment I always show Undertaker vs Mankind Hell in the Cell.  How about you??  One match on youtube that you could watch what would it be??  For some reason I like Memphis wrestling alot to (more exciting) Lawler vs every bad guy Hart could find.  One hidden gem to me is the Ox Baker riot match where the wrestlers barely made it back to the dressing room (just type in Ox Baker riot)
Any match on U-Tube between Bruiser Brody vs. Abdullah the Butcher AND Danny Hodge vs. Hiro Matsuda!

husker71

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 06:07:09 pm »

I know I sound like an old guy here but I really think that especially tag teams were so much more "storied up" back in the day.  Just think of Bruiser Brody and Abdullah the Butcher in todays wrestling.  I know they could not do it now but those teams always gave us a big bang for our buck.

jbcarol

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 06:16:06 pm »

TheRazorback500

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 10:06:37 pm »

Any action involving the old Minnesota Wrecking Crew. Ole and Gene Anderson were just some mean old hombres who loved to focus on one body part to wear down their opponents and win matches.

husker71

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 05:45:14 am »

I got to watch some Mid South matches this week and I believe we were spoiled by just how good the storylines and action was.  Whe n Watts and Jerry Jarrrett traded some talent between Mid South and Memphis it really changed Mid South for the better.  5-31-84 is a good one to start with

TNhogfan

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 06:58:19 pm »

Portland, Southeastern, Memphis.  Used to watch 10 years or so ago a group out of WV simply because it was so bad.  They used to shoot their show in high school gyms and have 5 or 6 fans present.

vandybuff

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 05:36:57 pm »

husker71

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 02:14:50 am »

Maybe the longest set up was Ole Anderson going babyface and tagged with other good guys  for a whole year to prove to Dusty that he could be trusted and then off course turned back to heel in a cage match vs the Asasians.  Even convinced Dusty to have Gene Anderson be one of the refs.  It drew so much heat that fans were climbing the cage trying to get into it to beat up the Asasins  and the Andersons.  Just think over a year they were working that angle just to get to the one match.  Of course Dusty then found other partners and went after the other 2 teams.  The match is on youtube   The Jim Cornette and Bill Eades (Masked Superstar) are among the best on youtube because like George Steele interviews Eades is very smart 

jbcarol

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 09:43:03 pm »

Dante Fox v. Killshot (Hell of War)

If you spend 30 minutes on this, here is what you can expect.  Killshot is Shane Strickland (Isaiah "Swerve" Scott on NXT). Also, AR Fox is an independent who has worked with Darby Allen (AEW) and Austin Theory (NXT).

It is a hard core match with a story, exceptional athleticism, and use of props.

The match is the blow off to a multi-season story arc and feud ending in this contest.

The level of athletic moves is exceptional.  Pay particular attention to the work with the military gurney.  Also at one point, a "human sirloin" is left on it.

The match was conducted in front of a usually blood thirsty and boisterous crowd at "The Temple" in Boyle Heights (Los Angeles). After the last move, this crowd is in stunned silence and grown men are weeping.

The criticisms are minor.  I think they could have made an effort to clean up the real broken glass between the first and second fall.  It did nothing for me that the ref had his hand bandaged from being sliced up or that pieces of glass continued to embed in one of the performer's back. The risk of staph infection overrode the effect.  There were more than enough other visuals.

Also, the band no-sold and effectively broke kayfabe as they staged the final spot. There is a mariachi band that plays on most of the episodes, sometimes in Lucha masks.  These guys weren't smartened up on what to expect. This was soon forgotten as the last spot was executed flawlessly and dramatically.

People have divergent opinions on Matt Striker's work as lead announcer.

TNhogfan

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 05:30:13 pm »

Maybe the longest set up was Ole Anderson going babyface and tagged with other good guys  for a whole year to prove to Dusty that he could be trusted and then off course turned back to heel in a cage match vs the Asasians.  Even convinced Dusty to have Gene Anderson be one of the refs.  It drew so much heat that fans were climbing the cage trying to get into it to beat up the Asasins  and the Andersons.  Just think over a year they were working that angle just to get to the one match.  Of course Dusty then found other partners and went after the other 2 teams.  The match is on youtube   The Jim Cornette and Bill Eades (Masked Superstar) are among the best on youtube because like George Steele interviews Eades is very smart
Fantastic angle.  The interview following Ole's turn on Dusty is priceless.  An incredulous Gordon Solie ripping Ole and Ole smirking and talking about how it made him sick to be in the baby face dressing and to be nice to the fans along with putting up with Dusty.   Ole is often criticized for not having attention to detail, but in this angle it worked perfectly.   Another great Georgia Championship Wrestling interview segment from probably around same time period is a debate Solie moderated between Assassin and Wrestling II    II has on his short sleeve dress shirt and clip on tie, Assassin making fun of him and gets him all rattled.   And on all of this the crowd pops huge.

husker71

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 05:36:00 am »

then Dusty would bring in another every month to go against the Andersons.  He even went and got Andre.  So it just went on and on for another 6 months or more and filled the OMNI

jbcarol

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 08:37:07 am »

This is an edited highlight reel of Nakamura's WWE NXT debut at Takeover Dallas in April 2016. It was arguably the best match of Wrestlemania weekend. They do not let Nakamura work this stiff in any match on the main roster. At the time Sammy was a top NXT babyface and was about to have a big weekend getting called up to work Wrestlemania and the Raw after.

jbcarol

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »

Kana (Asuka) & Naomichi Marufuji vs Meiko Satomura & Minoru Suzuki

I found the legendary Japanese mixed-tag match that featured Asuka (then Kana) v. Minoru Suzuki. Contrary to popular belief, the match did not devolve into a shoot.  It followed the script beginning to end and was Kana's promotion.

The ref, victim's tag partner, and aggressor's tag partner all try to stop the beating and all are dispatched.

TNhogfan

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 10:50:48 pm »

Kana (Asuka) & Naomichi Marufuji vs Meiko Satomura & Minoru Suzuki

I found the legendary Japanese mixed-tag match that featured Asuka (then Kana) v. Minoru Suzuki. Contrary to popular belief, the match did not devolve into a shoot.  It followed the script beginning to end and was Kana's promotion.

The ref, victim's tag partner, and aggressor's tag partner all try to stop the beating and all are dispatched.

Wow.   What a match.  It would be great if they would let her go like that here instead of making it all so simple.   

Kneph13

• Senior
  • Music; the only religion that delivers the goods
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 05:50:19 am »

The Dick Murdock ones, especially against Killer Karl Kox or Terry Gordy and the Terry Gordy Matches.  Also pretty much anything from the Danny Hodge era. 

husker71

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 04:12:38 pm »

It has been raining here so I have been inside watching youtube.  I like the today interviews with old time rasslers about what happened years ago.  Kevin Sullivan talks about scalping tickets for outrageous prices in Miami to some of Dustys matches.  He said the booker/promoter down there begged Vince Sr to take Dusty for a couple of weeks up north because he could not develop anyone else because Dusty was so over with the fans.  I think the booker position is one that is underrated to some but maybe the most important one

Satellite

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 03:58:17 pm »

There's an internet wrasslin' promotion that no longer exists but maybe some of ya'll have heard of it. In the UK. WCPW and then the name changed to Defiant Wrestling.

They have some of my favorite matches on YouTube. And one of the best story lines IMO. Martin Kirby. Him beating Joe Hendry for the WCPW title. Was awesome.

Of course anything with Will Osprey on that youtube channel is great. But the Martin Kirby story line was 10/10 for me.

Hogwop

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 04:11:55 pm »

It has been raining here so I have been inside watching youtube.  I like the today interviews with old time rasslers about what happened years ago.  Kevin Sullivan talks about scalping tickets for outrageous prices in Miami to some of Dustys matches.  He said the booker/promoter down there begged Vince Sr to take Dusty for a couple of weeks up north because he could not develop anyone else because Dusty was so over with the fans.  I think the booker position is one that is underrated to some but maybe the most important one

Yeah, I love watching shoot interviews. You're absolutely right that the booker is a hugely important position. Without a good booker you end up with 2000 era WCW trash
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas