• 10,669,323 Posts
• 418,155 Topics
• 24,522 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hold or Raise?  (Read 268 times)

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?
Hold or Raise?
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:38:59 am »

If a stock, which is the largest $ portion of your individual stock portfolio, is at a 52 week low in this environment do you 1) add shares or 2) hold?

The stock, CNP.

TIA

GoHogsGo321

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Hold or Raise?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 12:09:33 pm »

If a stock, which is the largest $ portion of your individual stock portfolio, is at a 52 week low in this environment do you 1) add shares or 2) hold?

The stock, CNP.

TIA

On Robinhood itís marked 35% hold and 65% buy.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

widespreadsooie

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:28:50 pm »

The stock, CNP.

TIA

Personally I would add if I was under the same circumstance, but that's only due to my own confidence in the stock(s).

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:14:24 pm »

What was your original thesis for buying the stock?  Is that thesis still intact?

rzrbackramsfan

• This job is Leachís, beaches
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:30:56 pm »

What was your original thesis for buying the stock?  Is that thesis still intact?

This.  Especially if itís a for fun portfolio. 

If itís a real portfolio, have some diversification rules and boundaries and stick to it.

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:21 pm »

This.  Especially if itís a for fun portfolio. 

If itís a real portfolio, have some diversification rules and boundaries and stick to it.
Everything I own is on a buy recommendation.  I just keep making money.

ricepig

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 02:39:22 pm »

I have it in my portfolio, although not a very large position. Itís 4.7% dividend has me to continue to hold it. I think weíll be fine on down the road, meanwhile, Iím getting a decent return on my money. With market going up, itís not a favorite, as much as when itís flat or down.

HawgWild

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:46:17 pm »

I first bought some 30 years ago when it was ARKLA. It was paying a 10% dividend and, as a utility stock, I considered it a safe investment. Iíve continued accumulating it over the years and have always DRIPíd my dividends. I rode it down after ENRON buying as low as $4.50 ps. The dividend at that time was $.04. It spun off NRG whose shares I still hold and sold off TGN.

Itís overweight in my portfolio. Itís been good to me. Itís just that this recent price drop on high volume has me a little worried.

Thanks for the comments.

rzrbackramsfan

• This job is Leachís, beaches
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 12:47:13 am »

I first bought some 30 years ago when it was ARKLA. It was paying a 10% dividend and, as a utility stock, I considered it a safe investment. Iíve continued accumulating it over the years and have always DRIPíd my dividends. I rode it down after ENRON buying as low as $4.50 ps. The dividend at that time was $.04. It spun off NRG whose shares I still hold and sold off TGN.

Itís overweight in my portfolio. Itís been good to me. Itís just that this recent price drop on high volume has me a little worried.

Thanks for the comments.

I think itís interesting.  Theyíre into natural gas distribution.  That industry is a little under threat with climate change movements... the question to ask is: can they pay their current dividend for 25 more years? If so, youíll have made your money back if you invested in it today just in dividends.

Iíd say yes, it has 25 more years of covering its dividends with no cutsZ. NG utilities should be far down on the list of things to fix in regards to climate change.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 06:10:53 pm »

Thanks for the comments.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you locked in some profits via selling some?

HawgWild

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 06:09:33 pm »

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you locked in some profits via selling some?

Never.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 04:35:26 pm »

So, already overweight a utilities stock semi levered to energy, near 52 wk lows, and you've never rung the register. If it were me, I'd take some profit and put the cash back into something with more upside. Or, keep it as a hold, continue to collect the dividend, and ring the register on strength down the road to lock in some profit. Maybe take your original cost basis off the table? Maybe take 25% off the table? If you have cash to put to work, I'd look for something with more upside and levered to another sector than energy or utilities. You have any exposure to say health care?  PFE, BMY, or MRK would be good to initiate a entry position here and each have decent yields. Just thinking out loud for the purposes of ensuring you have balance and diversity in the ol portfolio.

HawgWild

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 07:09:37 pm »

Appreciate the comments.

I have no exposure to health care in my individual stocks. Iím sure that theyíre represented in the mutual funds though. Iíll take a look at these.

HawgWild

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 04:41:37 pm »

Most of my early stock purchases were for my traditional IRA account. The IRA originally limited the annual contribution amount to $2500. Trading fees were onerous back then, particularly for the small investor. Add in Capital Gains and you lost a chunk of change of the gains. I remember contemplating a relatively small trade with stock in an Edward Jones account. The combined fees would have been around $500.

Now I can execute the same trade for free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas