• 10,660,883 Posts
• 417,878 Topics
• 24,500 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CBS Coach list...  (Read 3777 times)

Dirttrackhog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
CBS Coach list...
« on: November 10, 2019, 02:47:28 pm »

Mike Norvell, Memphis coach: Norvell's name came up two years ago before Arkansas hired Morris. In that span, he has become a better and more mature coach. Norvell, only 38, is an offensive mind who has the Tigers in contention for the AAC title and a Cotton Bowl berth. Considering where Arkansas is at the moment, his hire would be a home run. The Irving, Texas, native played wide receiver at Central Arkansas.

2. Bill Clark, UAB coach: My gut tells me Clark would crawl to Fayetteville. CBS Sports' two-time national coach of the year has performed miracles with the Blazers. He is a tireless worker who knows the SEC and can squeeze more out of a roster. 

3. Eliah Drinkwitz, Appalachian State coach: The Mountaineers have as many or more ACC wins as five ACC schools (two). Drinkwitz's star is rising quickly. The question is whether it's rising too fast for Arkansas to stop and take a look? In three years, he would go from NC State offensive coordinator to Appalachian State coach to Arkansas coach. The Hogs aren't in a position to be choosy. Drinkwitz has ties to the state from his time at Springdale High School and as an Arkansas State assistant.

4. Mike Leach, Washington State coach: Leach showed his willingness to leave Wazzu when he went way down the line with Tennessee. I think Leach would be interested in Arkansas -- but with a huge asterisk. Florida State is a much better job. The Seminoles should have hired him yesterday. It's easier to win in the ACC. The talent is there ... or least around there. There is a dearth of talent at Arkansas.

5. Billy Napier, Louisiana-Lafayette coach: Napier certainly has the pedigree having worked at Clemson and Alabama. In his second year, the Georgia native has the Ragin' Cajuns at 7-2.

6. Tom Allen, Indiana coach: A lateral move, perhaps, but if Allen wants to get back into the SEC this is (sort of) an entry. Allen coached linebackers and special teams at Ole Miss from 2012-14. The Hoosiers are 7-2. Things aren't going to get much better than that in Bloomington, Indiana. 

7. Sonny Dykes, SMU coach: Not likely, but every Group of Five coach wants to get to the big time. In this case, Cal's former coach would be getting back to the big time. Arkansas might not qualify, but if Dykes can turn around SMU, then he has a chance with the Hogs. Word is that Dykes is happy for now. There may better jobs to come along next year. Also, not sure if Arkansas administration would be wary about hiring a second straight SMU coach. Dykes, though, is proven in the position.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: CBS Coach list...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 02:50:09 pm »

Of that list.... Norvell, Clark, Napier would be fine by me. I'd go after coach Campbell of Iowa State, and maybe the HC of Tulane. He's absolutely turned that program around from bring a major dumpster fire.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 02:50:34 pm »

Whoever did this list seems to have put more thought into it than the ESPN list

hogwildinhouston

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 02:52:44 pm »

Any writer who types the words that Indiana to Arkansas might be a lateral move should be immediately tossed in the trash.

When Al Borges left Indiana as OC to go to Auburn, his quote was he was thankful to be rescued from football hell.

I don't care how bad Arkansas football has been the last few years, there is no way in hell anyone with half a brain would consider that a lateral move.

hog of steele

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 02:52:52 pm »

I would take 1-4 or 7.

Hoggish1

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 02:53:45 pm »

I don't like the attitute of whomever wrote that list.

Cambridge Hog

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 02:54:03 pm »

at least its a list that is more than the same 3-4 on every other list.

brenthog

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 02:54:13 pm »

Indiana a lateral move....ouch!!!

ibad

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 02:57:54 pm »

How does Bill Clark "know the SEC"? He's never coached in the SEC.

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 02:59:47 pm »

1,2,3 would work for me. App St just beat USCE and put Mus on the hot seat.

Never been a Leach fan, although if he is the pick, I won't cry. Just think there is better.

Napier working with Clemson and Bama  shows good breeding.

No to Allen or Dykes.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 03:03:18 pm »

Indiana has won 17 games since 2017.

We've won 8.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 03:04:20 pm »

How does Bill Clark "know the SEC"? He's never coached in the SEC.
He knows the SEC footprint geographically. He coaches successfully a program right in the heart of crimson Tide and Auburn territory. He's done great with UAB. He's worth an interview anyway.

Bacons Rebellion

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 03:07:55 pm »

That's a good list. Very good list.

I suspect the Drinkwitz plan is a year or two too soon, but it's interesting.

Hogs958

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 03:08:55 pm »

Napier intrigues me

HoGs1031

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 03:10:41 pm »

1,2,3 would work for me. App St just beat USCE and put Mus on the hot seat.

Never been a Leach fan, although if he is the pick, I won't cry. Just think there is better.

Napier working with Clemson and Bama  shows good breeding.

No to Allen or Dykes.

This is true, but he's been a HC for less than a season. He also stepped into a program that has a history of winning. Since 2014 they are 56-17 (77% winning %). The guy we should have hired just went to Louisville. He might be a really good coach, but right now we need someone who is more proven...

popcornhog

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 03:28:32 pm »

Mike Norvell, Memphis coach: Norvell's name came up two years ago before Arkansas hired Morris. In that span, he has become a better and more mature coach. Norvell, only 38, is an offensive mind who has the Tigers in contention for the AAC title and a Cotton Bowl berth. Considering where Arkansas is at the moment, his hire would be a home run. The Irving, Texas, native played wide receiver at Central Arkansas.

2. Bill Clark, UAB coach: My gut tells me Clark would crawl to Fayetteville. CBS Sports' two-time national coach of the year has performed miracles with the Blazers. He is a tireless worker who knows the SEC and can squeeze more out of a roster.

3. Eliah Drinkwitz, Appalachian State coach: The Mountaineers have as many or more ACC wins as five ACC schools (two). Drinkwitz's star is rising quickly. The question is whether it's rising too fast for Arkansas to stop and take a look? In three years, he would go from NC State offensive coordinator to Appalachian State coach to Arkansas coach. The Hogs aren't in a position to be choosy. Drinkwitz has ties to the state from his time at Springdale High School and as an Arkansas State assistant.

4. Mike Leach, Washington State coach: Leach showed his willingness to leave Wazzu when he went way down the line with Tennessee. I think Leach would be interested in Arkansas -- but with a huge asterisk. Florida State is a much better job. The Seminoles should have hired him yesterday. It's easier to win in the ACC. The talent is there ... or least around there. There is a dearth of talent at Arkansas.

5. Billy Napier, Louisiana-Lafayette coach: Napier certainly has the pedigree having worked at Clemson and Alabama. In his second year, the Georgia native has the Ragin' Cajuns at 7-2.

6. Tom Allen, Indiana coach: A lateral move, perhaps, but if Allen wants to get back into the SEC this is (sort of) an entry. Allen coached linebackers and special teams at Ole Miss from 2012-14. The Hoosiers are 7-2. Things aren't going to get much better than that in Bloomington, Indiana.

7. Sonny Dykes, SMU coach: Not likely, but every Group of Five coach wants to get to the big time. In this case, Cal's former coach would be getting back to the big time. Arkansas might not qualify, but if Dykes can turn around SMU, then he has a chance with the Hogs. Word is that Dykes is happy for now. There may better jobs to come along next year. Also, not sure if Arkansas administration would be wary about hiring a second straight SMU coach. Dykes, though, is proven in the position.

Link?

popcornhog

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 03:29:30 pm »

Any writer who types the words that Indiana to Arkansas might be a lateral move should be immediately tossed in the trash.

When Al Borges left Indiana as OC to go to Auburn, his quote was he was thankful to be rescued from football hell.

I don't care how bad Arkansas football has been the last few years, there is no way in hell anyone with half a brain would consider that a lateral move.

At this point, thatís just how far we have fallen.

Swinelake

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 03:31:54 pm »

I kind of want Dykes for the lulz. Taking another SMU coach back to back.

(Not really)

Pennywise

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 03:33:14 pm »

Sigh

HogsonHicks

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 03:35:36 pm »

Letís be honest, every candidate on that list has a better W/L record and resume than Morris when we hired him.  All would be an upgrade, and Iím excited there are some solid options out there.

The Hogfather

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 03:35:37 pm »

This.  What a dork.

elkhog

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 03:36:06 pm »

I see nothing exciting there.

The Hogfather

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 03:36:56 pm »

At this point, thatís just how far we have fallen.

No, our program is 1,000X better than theirs, even right now.

The Hogfather

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »

Indiana has won 17 games since 2017.

We've won 8.

Means nothing in regard to our program vs. theirs. 

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 03:39:36 pm »

Means nothing in regard to our program vs. theirs.

It means they're going to a bowl game this year and we're losing to SJSU and WKU.

It means they've won 9 more games in that span than we have.

I dunno about you, but I like wins. Wins mean something.

Means a lot to me, maybe not to you.

The Hogfather

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 03:45:33 pm »

It means they're going to a bowl game this year and we're losing to SJSU and WKU.

It means they've won 9 more games in that span than we have.

I dunno about you, but I like wins. Wins mean something.

Means a lot to me, maybe not to you.

Weíre talking about dorks saying moving to Arkansas from Indiana is a lateral move.  Any dork who thinks that, despite our current state, is clueless.  Absolutely without a brain.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 03:57:13 pm by The Hogfather »

jjdlc

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2019, 03:51:55 pm »

Weíre talking about dorks saying moving to Arkansas from Indiana is a lateral move.  Any dork who thinks that, despite of our current state, is clueless.  Absolutely without a brain.

Yeah, the writer did some homework on the list, but seemed more interested in taking shots at Arkansas.

WPS501

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2019, 03:58:55 pm »

Weíre talking about dorks saying moving to Arkansas from Indiana is a lateral move.  Any dork who thinks that, despite of our current state, is clueless.  Absolutely without a brain.
I mostly agree.  People could say that about other programs on the upswing since 2012 and it could be up for debate, since we've been ass since then, but Indiana hasn't even been on the upswing the past few years. 

They've averaged about 5 wins a season, with this year being the lone exception as they sit at 7-2.  Their best two wins are one possession victories over Maryland and Nebraska.

hogbbq

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2019, 04:03:34 pm »

Of that list.... Norvell, Clark, Napier would be fine by me. I'd go after coach Campbell of Iowa State, and maybe the HC of Tulane. He's absolutely turned that program around from bring a major dumpster fire.
Just a Norvell plug here, the new OC at Tulane was hired off Norvells staff at Memphis, Will Hall won the Harlan Hill trophy.

buffaload

• Varsity
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2019, 04:08:07 pm »

There are zero successful Power 5 coaches that would be interested in coming to Arkansas.  Winning a nat'l championship is a pipedream.  Winning the SEC West is a pipedream.  Sorry for the bad news.

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 04:24:07 pm »

Weíre talking about dorks saying moving to Arkansas from Indiana is a lateral move.  Any dork who thinks that, despite our current state, is clueless.  Absolutely without a brain.

FWIW, I have buddy who is an Indiana fan and he says FSU is interested in their coach.

HogFan1973

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 04:24:46 pm »

I would be fine with any of the top 3 of this list.  Not a fan of Kifin, Leach, or Freeze.

popcornhog

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 04:28:24 pm »

No, our program is 1,000X better than theirs, even right now.

As a snapshot in time, I donít see how we are 1,000x better.

Indiana has won multiple conference games four years in a row. Thatís be a significant step forward for us. The first step forward at Arkansas will be to get to a point where we can beat all of our rent-a-wins. That would be a step backward for Indiana.

If youíre talking last 10 years or all time, yeah, we are a far better program, but itís going to be a challenge to get us caught up with and beyond where IU is inside of 2-3 years.

runninhog

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 04:30:20 pm »

Norvell ain't coming. Go get Matt Rhule.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 04:30:36 pm »

I knew when I saw the ridiculous Indiana lateral move comment a certain millennial poster would take their shots at any Hog fan who took exception to it.

IU has never won 10 games in a season in its history.  Won 9 twice- 1945 and 1967.  IU last won 8 games in a season in 1993.  Theyíve had 23 losing seasons since then. 

JONAS

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 04:36:41 pm »

Norvell ain't coming. Go get Matt Rhule.

He will come if offered.

Pork Twain

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »

Best list on Hogville

The Hogfather

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 06:04:20 pm »

As a snapshot in time, I donít see how we are 1,000x better.

Indiana has won multiple conference games four years in a row. Thatís be a significant step forward for us. The first step forward at Arkansas will be to get to a point where we can beat all of our rent-a-wins. That would be a step backward for Indiana.

If youíre talking last 10 years or all time, yeah, we are a far better program, but itís going to be a challenge to get us caught up with and beyond where IU is inside of 2-3 years.

I damn well ainít splaining anything to those of you who canít get such a simple concept.

farmhawg

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 06:14:05 pm »

He will come if offered.
Not what a friend of his said.

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 06:22:01 pm »

2. Bill Clark, UAB coach: My gut tells me Clark would crawl to Fayetteville.

That would take at least a year...  8)

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 06:23:39 pm »

There are zero successful Power 5 coaches that would be interested in coming to Arkansas.  Winning a nat'l championship is a pipedream.  Winning the SEC West is a pipedream.  Sorry for the bad news.

Wow! Great first post...  :puke:

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 06:27:07 pm »

Wow! Great first post...  :puke:

Sure did make another 195 posts in a hurry.

buffaload
Varsity
Surfing the web at Hogville.net
View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

pghawg1

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 06:31:31 pm »

by damn we have won it before we can and will win again

Smallie Bigs

• Varsity
  • Watchdog defending all things Razorback.
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 06:34:22 pm »

Drinkwitz is a fantastic coach. I am not sure if Arkansas would consider him since he has limited HC experience. But, wherever he goes he will be successful. Very intelligent football coach. I used to go to Bible study with him.

sigpooie

• Hogvillian
  • I was at the 65 cotton bowl.
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 06:35:15 pm »

Norvell would have a nice route to pros if he comes and helps jsj's team win. And what tx kid wouldnt want that job. But it looks like memphis is into the football thing until they get the penny thing fixed. So why leave.

hoglady

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:44 pm »

Looks like a decent list to me.

Best one I've seen yet because it doesn't include Freeze or Malzahn.

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 09:08:30 pm »

He will come if offered.
I want you to be correct about this, but how do you know?   Just because he was interested 2 years ago when we snubbed him at the end doesnt mean that he will come running this time. ........unless you have some inside info which I hope you do. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas