• 10,553,220 Posts
• 415,756 Topics
• 23,843 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Van Dyke and Talamo are giving Oaklawn serious thought....  (Read 182 times)

kingoftherapids

Van Dyke and Talamo are giving Oaklawn serious thought....
« on: November 08, 2019, 09:02:18 am »

Mike Smith is as well.

The Hogfather

Re: Van Dyke and Talamo are giving Oaklawn serious thought....
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:34:24 am »

Awesome.  They should be!

Love Mike Smith.  Having him here would be great.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

heavylifting

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:23:46 am »

Of course they are, as well as anyone else out there who has a pulse.

Three breakdowns at Del Mar on Sunday, two resulting in fatalities (the third is recovering from surgery).

What is the likelihood that Santa Anita will still be racing when opening day rolls around in Hot Springs?  Especially if the January rains materialize, they'll close just as a precaution.

Everybody out there -- owners, trainers, jockeys -- has to have a contingency plan and Oaklawn is about as good a place to go to at that time of year, although Turfway's purse structure will make them more competitive than they used to be.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:18:24 am »

Everybody out there -- owners, trainers, jockeys -- has to have a contingency plan and Oaklawn is about as good a place to go to at that time of year, although Turfway's purse structure will make them more competitive than they used to be.

Riding at night when its 20 in blowing snow isn't my idea of a fun day at work

Torqued pork

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Wait 'til the next life.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 09:44:44 am »

Mike Smith is as well.
I can remember a young Mike Smith getting established at Oaklawn back in the day.  You could tell then he was going to be a great one. It would be BIG for Oaklawn's not so star-studded jockey colony if he comes back.

husker71

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 06:21:25 pm »

Martin Garcia is coming to ride at OP per Paulick Report

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I can remember a young Mike Smith getting established at Oaklawn back in the day.  You could tell then he was going to be a great one. It would be BIG for Oaklawn's not so star-studded jockey colony if he comes back.

Back then he didn't get the "good" mounts but he would hit with some big prices. After he left Oaklawn is when he took off.

Looks like a much improved Jockey colony ands of course the casual money at Oaklawn won't know most of them which lead to some nice overlays.

husker71

Used to see Mike Smith in the mornings at Ak Sar Ben when he could have only been 16 or so .  By the way he  got married to John Livelys daughter  back in the day and man was she a looker.   

heavylifting

You know what paved Mike Smith's road to New York and the big time?

The Mike Venezia incident at Belmont Park in October 1988.

Robbie Davis was riding the trailing horse that ran over Venezia after he'd fallen off his mount.

Davis couldn't get over the fact that he'd "killed" Venezia.  Took several years before he'd get back in the saddle and get over his role in Venezia's death.

Anyhow, Davis' agent, a former Israeli stormtrooper named Steve Adika, was looking for a rider after Davis found it impossible to get back in the saddle. He hooked up with Smith, whose rationale for the move to New York was that Arlington (where he'd been riding) had ended its meet and his agent wasn't going to do anything until Oaklawn opened in January. So, he'd go to New York, see how he'd do and if it didn't work out, he'd rejoin his agent in January in Hot Springs. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I remember being down in Florida for the Breeders' Cup that November and looking at the results of the races from Aqueduct in the DRF (print edition mind you, remember kids, no Internet back then in 1988; I know, how did we ever survive?) and wondering, "Who is this Smith that's riding all these winners?"  I found out soon enough and so did the rest of the world.

Gotta love Mike Smith. Rode the winters in New York when Bailey, Krone and Santos (they were the big 4 in NY back then) wintered in Florida. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember a single winter when Michael Earl departed for the tropical climes as the northern chill set in.

Ironic, that 30+ years later, he could be landing in Hot Springs, not in abject humiliation, but as king of his world.

And, yes, he and Patrice were an item, legally, for several years, although there was one Breeders' Cup at Belmont Park -- 1995, maybe? -- where he showed up with a black eye and he joked [or was he joking?] about how his wife had given it to him.  They weren't together much longer after that. But she showed up in the winner's circle for just about every win of his and, yes, she enhanced each and every winner's circle photo in which she appeared.

I don't know where she landed, but they were quite the couple back then and you could only stand back and admire them. I hope and pray that she's doing well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas