• 10,567,226 Posts
• 416,045 Topics
• 23,878 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No hate for Chad Morris  (Read 1525 times)

Razor1997

No hate for Chad Morris
« on: November 07, 2019, 08:06:22 pm »

The SEC, especially the West, is utterly brutal.  Chad, like Bret, wasn't a horrible hire at the time.  Bret actually seemed like a great hire when it happened.  Chad was more of a risk, with a potentially huge upside if it worked out.

Of course, it didn't work out in either case.  I had very low expectations for Season 2 of Chad, I wasn't expecting a bowl win against the hated Longhorns or anything, but I sure didn't expect for us to lose to SJSU, or for Starkel to regress under the tutelage of an offensive genius.

Right now, I'm upset that the Hogs have had what could shake out to be the two worst seasons of all time under Chad... but you know, there but for the grace go I and all that (although I would love to get fired with Chad's buyout).  Chad can't do it, he knows he can't do it, he can't say that he knows he can't do it, and any man trying to provide for his family will try and get more than he ever needs just in case of a disaster, so he probably won't resign and will go for the full buyout now that it's proven he can't do it.  Hell, I would.

I just hope the PTB get it right next time, but if they don't, find another new guy two or three years later.  We're already at rock bottom.  And Chad's buyout isn't all that much with all the sweet SEC cash flowing in.  But please, the PTB should make a ridiculous offer to someone like Meyer or Stoops and make them say no before going for an up and comer like Norvell (my third choice).

And I expect Ty Storey to get his storeybook win.

And Jeffrey Epstein did not kill himself.

SeldomHere

• All-American Hogvillian
  • My all-time favorite gender.
Re: No hate for Chad Morris
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:08:00 pm »

Ok, so who killed Jeffrey Epstein?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Razor1997

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:09:21 pm »

He's alive, but I will save that for the Politics forum.

Hawginj

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 08:09:28 pm »

he's not dead

Lanny

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 08:10:19 pm »

Stop the political post

Andrew Hogfan

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 08:11:20 pm »

I agree with everything in this post. Especially going for a big name and making them say no. If you paid Stoops or Meyer  something ridiculous maybe it would show recruits and everyone else that we are serious about getting back to winning.

jkstock04

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:17:46 pm »

Arkansas isn't going to pay the $$$ for a high end coach like Stoops or Meyer. That's a fantasy people should forget about. Not going to happen...zero chance.

JONAS

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:21:38 pm »

Arkansas isn't going to pay the $$$ for a high end coach like Stoops or Meyer. That's a fantasy people should forget about. Not going to happen...zero chance.

We haven't ever done it, and we're not going to start now.

Razor1997

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 08:24:04 pm »

We offered $7M to Gus.  GUS!

Why not $10M to Meyer or Stoops?  We easily have the SEC cash, and ticket sales and program interest would soar.  I haven't actually run the numbers, but there's a decent chance it would pay for itself even if we became a 3rd place SEC West team again like under Petrino.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 08:27:32 pm »

No personal ďhateĒ for Morris but not one microcosm of respect either.

SeldomHere

• My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:17 pm »

Why not $10M to Meyer or Stoops?  We easily have the SEC cash, and ticket sales and program interest would soar.  I haven't actually run the numbers, but there's a decent chance it would pay for itself even if we became a 3rd place SEC West team again like under Petrino.

Add $3M for the OC and DC and $2M for everyone else.
Yep, $15M a year should be doable at Arkansas.

Let's get this done sooner than later.

Razor1997

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:34:31 pm »

Add $3M for the OC and DC and $2M for everyone else.
Yep, $15M a year should be doable at Arkansas.

Let's get this done sooner than later.

Absolutely doable.  Even at 2-10 we are still a top 20 profit college franchise as anyone who follows Forbes knows, although we are not #8 anymore like we were just before Petrino crashed his bike.  It can be done, and success will breed more success.

Now, if we actually get Urban Meyer and then get more Chad Morris 2-10 seasons under him, my point is moot... but that won't happen.

jkstock04

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 08:35:51 pm »

Don't shoot the messenger...im just telling you Arkansas isn't going to do that. Gus is a slightly different story... Arkansas guy, and there is a certain click in the upper echelon ranks that worship the guy and would still to this day do anything for him to be our coach.

The day we go outside the box and actually seriously go after someone like that is the day pigs fly.

The things you are talking about are interesting with context. In some conversations, we are one of the most profitable, wealthy, and successful programs in the entire country. In others...where it comes down to real life situations and nutt-cuttin, we can't afford things like other SEC schools. Coaches being one of them.

For whatever reason, the folks calling the shots don't really see fit to throw $$$ around at coaches the way you talk about. It would be scoffed at. Personally? I think it would be worth the investment...but I seriously don't think these folks see things the same way the avg fan does.

Razor1997

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 08:38:53 pm »

Don't shoot the messenger...im just telling you Arkansas isn't going to do that. Gus is a slightly different story... Arkansas guy, and there is a certain click in the upper echelon ranks that worship the guy and would still to this day do anything for him to be our coach.

The day we go outside the box and actually seriously go after someone like that is the day pigs fly.

The things you are talking about are interesting with context. In some conversations, we are one of the most profitable, wealthy, and successful programs in the entire country. In others...where it comes down to real life situations and nutt-cuttin, we can't afford things like other SEC schools. Coaches being one of them.

For whatever reason, the folks calling the shots don't really see fit to throw $$$ around at coaches the way you talk about. It would be scoffed at. Personally? I think it would be worth the investment...but I seriously don't think these folks see things the same way the avg can does.

I don't have any insight into what goes on behind the scenes, and I know you are a respected poster who probably knows what he is talking about.  If that is true, hopefully Yurachek at least has a little bit of pull.  :(

FelixJonesorDMAC?

• WHAAAOOO!!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 08:39:48 pm »

Canít stand Chad Morris, I think heís a joke of a coach and an Aggie.  Bye Felicia when heís gone.  He fleeced us.

jkstock04

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 08:46:48 pm »

I don't have any insight into what goes on behind the scenes, and I know you are a respected poster who probably knows what he is talking about.  If that is true, hopefully Yurachek at least has a little bit of pull.  :(
I don't have much insight behind the scenes...but just look at the last 3 coaches (roughly).

Petrino 3.5 million
Bielema 4 million
Chad Morris 3.5 million

Im just not seeing it. And what do you think it would take for Stoops or Meyer to even listen to us? Im gonna say Meyer may listen to us with a starting offer of 10 million.

hoggwylde

• Varsity
  • Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 08:51:11 pm »

Arkansas isn't going to pay paid the $$$ for a high end school coach like Stoops or Meyer. That's a fantasy nightmare people should forget about. Not going to happen again...zero chance.
Fixed

Razor1997

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 08:51:43 pm »

I don't have much insight behind the scenes...but just look at the last 3 coaches (roughly).

Petrino 3.5 million
Bielema 4 million
Chad Morris 3.5 million

Im just not seeing it. And what do you think it would take for Stoops or Meyer to even listen to us? Im gonna say Meyer may listen to us with a starting offer of 10 million.

My opinion is based on what we offered to Gus.  Now that we have a new AD, maybe he will force a proven winner like Stoops or Meyer to say no?  The Morris hire wasn't his decision.  Arkansas has enough SEC money.  Maybe the BOT wouldn't approve it?... but seeing all the empty seats... like I said, it's time to run the numbers.  There are ticket sales, and there are the opportunity costs of destroying what used to be a pretty good SEC program.

jkstock04

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 08:55:09 pm »

My opinion is based on what we offered to Gus.  Now that we have a new AD, maybe he will force a proven winner like Stoops or Meyer to say no?  The Morris hire wasn't his decision.  Arkansas has enough SEC money.  Maybe the BOT wouldn't approve it?... but seeing all the empty seats... like I said, it's time to run the numbers.  There are ticket sales, and there are the opportunity costs of destroying what used to be a pretty good SEC program.
You have more faith or hope in the people who issue the checks than I do. I think we will go after whoever we can get for 3-4 million dollars/year. And that's if they decide to let Chad Morris go.

Razor1997

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 08:58:49 pm »

You have more faith or hope in the people who issue the checks than I do. I think we will go after whoever we can get for 3-4 million dollars/year. And that's if they decide to let Chad Morris go.

Maybe.

But if the people who issue the checks are so miserly, why are they so generous with the buyouts, regardless of performance?  :(

SooieGeneris

• Better Late Than Never
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »

I don't have any hate nor love for the guy. I didn't want him, but accepted reality when he was hired and hoped for the best.

Like always, once he is gone all the stuff will leak out that nobody had the cajones to tell us when he was still employed here.

Cut him loose and let him be with his family, I don't get the urge to pile on. It didn't work out. Better luck this time with an AD who will hopefully knock GOB heads together if they try to ramrod another bad hire..

potus

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 09:13:41 pm »

I didn't have very high expectations for this season either.  I thought we could win all of our non-conference games and maybe 1 more like Ole Miss or Kentucky.  Four to five wins and be much more competitive with everybody else on the rest of the schedule. I never dreamed of the current results.  Even though his buy out is large I don't think he gets another year.

Danimal

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 09:17:52 pm »

Morris lost my support after the SJSU game -- but he lost my sympathy and my RESPECT after the Misstate presser. I just want him gone.

Marshfieldhog

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 09:19:37 pm »

I donít care for Morris at all. Worst coach we have ever had in football.

potus

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 09:26:31 pm »

Five wins I don't think was unreasonable. 

Hawgphat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 09:31:38 pm »

Hatred for an unsuccessful coach is both irrational and non productive.  If a change obviously has to be made for the "big picture" welfare of our program, then so be it; but unreasoning antipathy and resentment for a coach who - I feel sure - fervently wants to be a winner, - but simply doesn't know how to attain that successful status, - does nothing to alleviate the pervasive mood of gloom throughout the ranks of a program's fandom; - - and the public airing of such vitriolic ire is not conducive to attracting highly respected and currently available coaching replacements to the program.

However, the large scale venting of such frustration and disillusionment is a human nature by-product of adversity and bitter disappointment.

jkstock04

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 09:40:35 pm »

Maybe.

But if the people who issue the checks are so miserly, why are they so generous with the buyouts, regardless of performance?  :(
Because they assume everything is going to magically work out and be rosy despite all other factors.

Just look at the general perception of long time Hog fans...old school guys. You read it on here all the time. They think that the program is going to bounce back "just because." No real substance...no common sense, these guys think the program is going to inevitably rise again because back in the day that's how it used to be, and we can't stay down much longer.

Don't kid yourself...if Morris is retained there will be a reset (if you will) in the off-season and a serious PR campaign to forget these past couple of years and concentrate on all the magical things about to happen in the 2020 season. I think it'll be a really tough sell...but you will see some fans fall back in line.

Matt Ryan

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2019, 09:44:11 pm »

Nope. Frank chad

justin2000m80

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 09:47:21 pm »

Win if can, Lose if you must, but always cheat.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 09:58:38 pm »

I don't like hate hate him, but I do kind of hate him in the way I hate any incompetent fraud from Texas A&M that is way overpaid and turned my beloved Razorbacks into a laughing stock.

Calvin Swine

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 10:02:49 pm »

Hating him is way too strong.  I do resent that he's brought this program to a new low.  I don't think he's done it on purpose but I want him to move along... like now.

rzrbackramsfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jaylin...Itís Time
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 10:05:06 pm »

I default donít like agggies unless I get to know them, sooo....

PossumFan

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 10:08:47 pm »

Totally agree with the OP's sentiment. Never liked the hire, obviously still don't, but no need to hate the guy for simply not being good enough to succeed. I'm sure he has tried, but some folks got it and some folks ain't. Shoot, I did OK in my chosen profession but probably would have failed had I been elevated to the upper ranks. I would hope nobody would hate me for it. Chad is a classic example of the Peter Principle, which holds that most people in management eventually advance to their level of incompetence. Time to just say thanks for trying and move on, no hard feelings.

PossumFan

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 10:11:52 pm »

I don't like hate hate him, but I do kind of hate him in the way I hate any incompetent fraud from Texas A&M that is way overpaid and turned my beloved Razorbacks into a laughing stock.

I hear you, but it's not his fault he was overpaid. What was he supposed to do, tell his agent "I won't take a penny more than $750,000 until we make a bowl game?"

justin2000m80

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 10:12:39 pm »

He canít help it he is stupid.

PossumFan

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2019, 11:00:11 pm »

He canít help it he is stupid.

I was trying to say this, but in a nicer way. :-)

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2019, 11:02:03 pm »

Donít hate him, just want him to go away

FelixJonesorDMAC?

• WHAAAOOO!!
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2019, 11:02:51 pm »

Win if can, Lose if you must, but always cheat.

And donít get caught.......like Petrino

justin2000m80

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2019, 11:08:42 pm »

Morris kidnapped the Lindbergh baby too!

HAWGBAWLZ

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2019, 01:00:15 am »

Is it over yet?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 01:01:50 am »

Trump's "justice" department, of course.

razback

• Varsity
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2019, 03:33:45 am »

I like Coach Morris as a person.  I met him at a Razorback function.  He was engaging and he seemed genuinely interested in my wife and I.  And even though I supported him all last season, my faith in his ability to HC a Power 5 school began to wane after the Ole Miss loss.  When San Jose State beat Arkansas, I began having significant suspicions that something "bigger" was going on behind the scenes.  Now, especially with the Kentucky and Miss St. losses, I'm having serious doubts Morris can turn this sinking ship. In fact, I rarely hear anyone support Morris out in the real world.  However, I still believe the Hogs will beat Western Kentucky.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas