• 10,565,734 Posts
• 416,005 Topics
• 23,895 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basketball-Elementary Day Game - Season opener-New Orleans @ Arkansas(10:30 CST)  (Read 1772 times)

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

UNO foul

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

Barnum 2-2 FTs
76-39 ARK

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

UNO 3
76-42 ARK

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

Reece 3
79-42 ARK

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.

Ginge!!!

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

Reece foul(1)

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

UNO 2-2 FT
79-44 ARK

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

UNO 2
79-46 ARK

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

UNO 3
79-49 ARK

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

Gaulden layup
81-49 ARK

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

UNO 3
81-52 ARK

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

UNO foul

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

Davis 1-2 FT
82-52 ARK

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

FINAL ARKANSAS 82  UNO 52

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books

Reaction so far: Meh.

This also seems to be the attitude of some of the players.

pretty much.  its a shame williams was out.

oldhawg

Congrats to Lady Razorbacks BB.  Great first game, keep the light shining.

LadybackBBFan

we need williams or oberg.  I think thomas may be playing hesitant since she isnt sure about back up, but she just isnt playing defense like she has and should.  Barnum isnt either.  whole team hit a lack of effort spell that quarter.  after a 26 point first quarter, they only scored 14 that quarter.
I will have more to say about this in my game recap, but do not agree with comments about Barnum & Thomas.

LadybackBBFan

Thomas played so many minutes because she was going for the Arkansas rebounding record in one game which is 22.  I believe she ended with 21 - just one short.  Playing 35+ minutes in a game for the first time in her 3 year career - she was great.  NO interior defense was outstanding - they never let us get off a clean shot inside without being hammered - most of which were never called.  Post game comments later in the day.

flippinhogmana

I will have more to say about this in my game recap, but do not agree with comments about Barnum & Thomas.

Well to be fair to Barnum, it was after watching both her and Thomas on defense, but Barnum only got two minutes playing time when I said that, so its not a large enough sample to really go on.  But our fives just were playing tight enough for whatever reason like they have in previous games.  I could see the interior scoring that many points if they were physically superior to us, but they weren't.

as to Taylah going for the record, that might be true in the fourth quarter, but she wasn't going for the record in the first half.  I would have played Barnum more than two minutes unless she was doing something, or not doing something that concerned me as a coach.

LadybackBBFan

I was really upset with coach in the first half when he played Barnum 2 minutes and then put Thomas back in the game.  I do not know what is happening in practice, but you can see both Barnum and Davis trying so hard to impress when they get in the game for their limited minutes.  I thought this was a game to see what Barnum could really do, but 6 minutes with her our only reliable backup post is not what I would be doing to develop her and make sure she is ready when we need her.  We are one injury away from Barnum being the starting center by necessity.  I also thought this was a good game to give Davis more playing time - less than 8 minutes.  With the injuries coach seems to be shortening his bench rather than strengthening it.  Coach is making a mockery out of my preseason playing predictions and making Flippin know what he was talking about.  As we say in Bella Vista, that is why they pay him the big bucks and let me vent on the website for free.

flippinhogmana

I thought this was a game to see what Barnum could really do, but 6 minutes with her our only reliable backup post is not what I would be doing to develop her and make sure she is ready when we need her.  We are one injury away from Barnum being the starting center by necessity

Most heartedly agree.  I was actually shocked when I looked at the stats at halftime and saw she had played only two minutes.  I saw both Thomas and Barnum sagging way too much off the opposing NO posts.  If both of them were giving that much space, it would tend to indicate they were instructed or thought they were instructed to play off that much. 

While casting blame on them one has to also consider, maybe it wasn't their fault.  Maybe it was someone else that was supposed to rotate up and didn't.  I dont know what zone they were in at the time or I would have been able to figure out if that was the case and which player (although that changed through the game) should have rotated and didn't.

I realize they were playing zone, but I dont care, you still have some matchup responsibilities to close on players 'in your zone'.  I saw at least one NO post player shoot flat footed from within the key with Thomas two full step away and unable to close and properly contest the shot.  I have no idea what was going on, but it shocked me.

LadybackBBFan

Now I will give my game analysis.  We played great defense in the first quarter except maybe for the last two minutes when they scored most of their points on 3 pt. shots and some 15' jump shots.  We were really good on offense with Chelsea getting fouled every time she went into the paint and several 3's going down.  The second quarter - they clamped down on us with a very strong zone.  We were awful  could not hit our 3 pt. shots and threw away a lot of fast break opportunities.  Our defense was not really that bad, but being so out of sink on offense let them score more pts than they should have as they tied us with 14 pts. for the quarter.  NO had 4 or 5 fouls with 8 minutes left on the second quarter clock and we did not take advantage as we either threw it away or jacked up a 3.  Sometimes we had a drive for a bucket and foul and instead we would kick it out for a turnover or a missed 3.  That was the problem in the second quarter.  For the game, we had 14 turnovers - can not have that number with a team like NO or any team in fact.  I think 10 of those were in the first half.  AT had 5 and Thomas had 5.  AT is because she has not been practicing long enough and is not in game shape.  Thomas, I believe was because she played too many minutes - not her fault.  I was glad to see her get 20 rebounds and 10 pts - really significant for her confidence.
However, the comments about our poor post defense can not be from the same game that I was watching.  Thomas was guarding # 32 a very good 6'1" post player who is a very good rebounder (11) and makes most of her shots from 15'.  For the game she was 4-13.  I would take that type defense every game from Thomas.  Post players are suppose to shoot 50++ - not 30%.  The 4 spot was held down by 31 who shot 2 - 8 or 25% - also great defense by Chelsea.  These are game stats not 1st half but it is pretty much the same in each half.  Their leading scorers were #4, a jr. 5'8" guard who was 4-5 and 2-3 from pt. land& #21 a freshman 5'8" guard who scored 13 pts. in 20 minutes.  She was 4-9 from the field and 3-4 from the 3 pt. line.  Against LSU, she was 1 -6 & 0-3 from 3pt.  This scoring has nothing to do with poor interior defense by Thomas & Barnum as that never happened in the game that I watched.

In the second half we played a tough zone in most of the third quarter and held them to 3 pts.  We were not scoring much either but we were much more patient and more selective.  We ended the quarter scoring 17 pts, but played very efficient.  We pulled away in the first 4 minutes of the 4th quarter and NO scored most of their 2nd half pts. in the last 5-6 minutes as Mike cleared his bench.  We beat this team by a very similar score as did LSU.  We have another common non-conference opponent as LSU does in UALR.  LSU plays them next week and we play them on December 21 which will be a bus trip out of Fayetteville to Little Rock.

Our shooting was way off: Tolefree was 4-13 & 3-11 from the 3pt line.  She did not take a free throw, but did not take steps either..  Chelsea was 5-15 & 2-9 at the 3 Pt. line, but did get 13 free throw attempts - missing 3 which means she was also off at the line.  Daniels got to the line - 4 times which is good to see.  Barnum got to the line - 4 times in 6 minutes while Thomas only got there for 2 in 34+ minutes.  Davis was 0-4 in 7+ minutes but did get to the line for 2 but should have got the call two other times.  Overall, I hope coach sees what I see when he reviews the film, Davis and Barnum need more minutes - especially with Williams and Mason in street clothes.  AT got in 13+ minutes but clearly is not back yet to game speed.  It was great to see Chelsea with 8 boards

flippinhogmana

you are quite right, we were watching two different games.  but I dont think it really matters all that much and I dont think it really mattered all that much to the players uniformly.  I dont mean they didn't care, I mean somehow they were challenged and weren't up for the game.  I didn't see intensity and crispness either on defense or offense for that matter after we got out to an early twenty point lead.

But for what its worth, I agree with you that Barnum and Davis need more playing time.  The only think I can think of is that the coach is concentrating on getting AT and Rokia ready first with the bulk of the minutes?  Still, it seems to me size matters.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:36:13 pm by flippinhogmana »

logic

LadybackBBFan, thank you for your splendid analysis.  I guess this is the year we have the injury bug so we will have to play with who is not injured and with our three biggest players out with injuries and perhaps long-term injuries, lack of size will be a problem again this year.

flippinhogmana

here is a link to Mike presser follwoing the game:  he answer quite a few questions I had and that you might have had (for example about Destinee and Kiara):

https://storage.googleapis.com/wmt-video/content/2019/11/08/3a0c496d-ea95-4ca1-9693-eeaf83d575c2.mp4?GoogleAccessId=wmt-video@lyrical-amulet-150218.iam.gserviceaccount.com&Expires=1573252962&Signature=FLMqVttbyF3AMZy%2FiAdm4SMabJA1dIJAj63fMg1lEiVFS2%2FyM5x7jz%2BaYt1c%2BfKc3aUzOYDmiU0PPBkoMLApkBfdsz7IGIA%2ByiZ%2FRoJVfLCtXd6ZkVU6II8n9sSzQLDIkz64YqvlVC%2ByfpwXlLtq%2FGWspdXbqBm8lx1oiOVli5kNoMcbGbGIHR8F7FZZusbEUv%2FUa49x3cob95m3q5SUc21beqUHxmFYgnvgrIf%2B96vyMIynxUHqEjDT3aU1TSGClk2D3h6da8HpdG5WNxo7FWjKAu%2BmjBIA3Kfvao5%2FHfy1zEnHhbFQYDmDxn0JGPbcSFPXbLtjWPyboLKF1Wpa6A%3D%3D

one of the things he said was that they were running a new defense and part of the reason why there were busts on some defensive switches were that it was so new, and that it was so loud that they couldnt communicate the switches and calls for help as well as necessary.  I was thinking that it might have been that.  He also said that the team didnt think they played particularly well.

https://video.wmt.media/embed/8e0712f4-7248-4234-a8ad-6162d86088f6  (amber ramirez and taylah Thomas)

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.

He said Oberg’s injury was a wrist and could be 6-8 weeks, which sounds like a fracture.

Kiara’s was a foot, and it sounds like she will be playing with some pain when she comes back.

I am bummed about that news, but I am relieved that it was not a repeat of Oberg’s back issues, and neither player has apparently suffered something season ending.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas