• 10,546,569 Posts
• 415,604 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This quarterback situation is irritating  (Read 1749 times)

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
This quarterback situation is irritating
« on: October 16, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »

We have two rotating quarterbacks who are giving us average or below results. The coach with his flip flopping is telling us we only have two viable quarterbacks. Really? He's telling us John Stephen does not have enough talent to get on the field? And, Jefferson is so low on ability and intelligence that he can't make it on the field either? This is beyond disgusting. Use your imagination a little coach. If you don't your conservatism is going to walk you right out the door.

Rudy Baylor

• "Fire him and I'm coming home." Billy Ferrell
Re: This quarterback situation is irritating
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 01:57:24 pm »

If we had handled Portland State and Colorado State and San Jose like a normal SEC team, John Steven and KJ would have already gotten quite a bit of mopup reps

Those reps are valuable

But Chad didn't take care of business, so he consistently dug his own hole

Those kids suffer. The entire team suffers.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:41:22 pm »

I bet we see either Jones or Jefferson some this weekend. And have heard Burks might get a couple snaps in a package. We will see.

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 02:47:08 pm »

I bet we see either Jones or Jefferson some this weekend. And have heard Burks might get a couple snaps in a package. We will see.

Great, thats what we need, more gimmick plays.

Swinefeld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 02:47:21 pm »

Great, the direct snap dive into a pile of bodies for 2 yards.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 02:49:48 pm »

We could have used a couple 2 yard runs this season to extend drives. Give it to a bigger guy and make them tackle you. Most likely hes falling forward.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 02:50:35 pm »

Great, thats what we need, more gimmick plays.
have you seen our non gimmick plays?lol.. would you rather burks touch it 2 times a game or 10 times?

jacobp

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 02:54:12 pm »

We could have used a couple 2 yard runs this season to extend drives. Give it to a bigger guy and make them tackle you. Most likely hes falling forward.
amen to this.

MTBrookHog

• Senior
  • Earl Campbell saying this is gonna hurt.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 02:56:50 pm »

Heck, according to this board our QB situation was solved the minute Starkel went into a game.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 02:57:36 pm »

amen to this.
Should have given him a short yardage package from day 1...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »

Heck, according to this board our QB situation was solved the minute Starkel went into a game.
amazing how good he looked his first 2 outings compared to his last 3... 7/19 for 41 yards... I would bet money that the other 3 qbs could do that without seeing jefferson or much of Jones.

Sed76

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 03:00:24 pm »

And even adding to it the guy in his press conference says all options are open then proceeds to come out a day or two later to say Hicks and Starkel are splitting reps with the first team. That is just the same old song and dance that has been going on since August.

ballinhog

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 03:02:56 pm »

Well I kept reading that John S Jones got the team in the end zone more consistently than anyone during fall camp. Isn’t that the objective? Frustrating that’s he’s not even being given a chance, especially as much as we’ve struggled doing just that, getting the ball in the end zone.

Maybe he’s not very big, maybe he doesn’t have a big arm, some guys are just gamers. What is there to lose at this point. Go with John Stephen and have a package for KJ. Or if u want to redshirt KJ then have a package for Burks. He needs the ball in his hands any way we can get it to him anyway. If none of this even works, then start KJ the last 4 games and get ready for 2020

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 03:03:52 pm »

amazing how good he looked his first 2 outings compared to his last 3... 7/19 for 41 yards... I would bet money that the other 3 qbs could do that without seeing jefferson or much of Jones.

If you pay attention, it’s a trend that the more work or “coaching” our QBs get during the week as the starter, the worse they look.  That’s a two year trend.  Starkel looked the best he has looked against CSU and Hicks looked the worst he has looked in those first two games after getting most of the work during camp.  Since CSU Starkel’s play has gotten worse and worse and now getting fewer starting reps and coaching at practice, Hicks has gotten better.

Smokehouse

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 03:12:48 pm »

I don't know if ultimately they should have gone all in with Hicks or Starkel from the start (I lean towards Starkel), but it was obvious from the beginning they should have picked one or the other. Choose one and develop him with the full confidence that he won't get pulled, and give him the vast majority of first team reps in practice to improve. If you get to this point in the season and the record is still the same with that strategy, then use your four starts with Jefferson and give JSJ several full halves to play too because the record is already shot at this point so might as well go into full developmental mode.

The more infuriating thing is that not only has it been obvious across so many teams in football for years that waffling between two QBs is a bad strategy, we just added our own evidence to that last year. And yet they rolled into this year with the same noncommittal BS.

Razorback de Nosferatu

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 03:13:03 pm »

We watched Mallett and Wilson develop and perform well under Petrino. We watched Brandon Allen noticeably improve and develop under Enos. Austin was looking just as promising until Bielema's entire operation started to rot out.

All we've seen from Morris regarding our quarterbacks is indecision and inconsistency. Storey, Kelley, Hicks, and Starkel. None of them improved/are improving. They're simply plugged in or out based on injuries or who's hot or cold.

I think at least three of those four kids are probably decent quarterbacks, but like most non-elite players, they do require a little coaching and development to really see their potential.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 03:17:28 pm »

I’m thinking Starkel May be getting a little tight as a starter. Perhaps he should sit on the bench at the beginning of the game until his butterflies fly away.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 03:19:48 pm »

Why does it seem like arkansas is the only school in america scared to start a freshman at qb?

Sivad

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 03:21:05 pm »

Morris so proudly informed us he has TWO votes as to who plays quarterback.
Guess he likes to split his votes.
Morris is the new QB Killa.

Al Boarland

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 03:21:44 pm »

We knew Jefferson was extremely raw when he was recruited. It's going to take time.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 03:23:53 pm »

We knew Jefferson was extremely raw when he was recruited. It's going to take time.
7/19 for 41 yards raw? or 5 intereptions against San Jose State raw?

PorkSoda

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 03:27:30 pm »

We aren't going to sacrifice freshmen QBs to Bama/Aub.  the last 4 games you can play them all you want, and not burn their redshirt.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 03:28:18 pm »

It's crazy how recruiting sets up up for success or failure. Remember Gerry bohannon? He would be PERFECT in this offense

Al Boarland

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 03:29:27 pm »

7/19 for 41 yards raw? or 5 intereptions against San Jose State raw?

You roll him out there now against our toughest competition he may be ruined his entire career.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 03:29:58 pm »

Yes it is.

Morris' offense requires a running QB in order for his offense to be effective.

We have 2 running QBs over on the sideline and not playing.

Terrible player management decision.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 03:31:26 pm »

You roll him out there now against our toughest competition he may be ruined his entire career.
He should have already been rolled out.

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 03:32:17 pm »

I thought he held Mississippi high school records as a quarterback?  He might not be good enough to play SEC football but I don’t believe that he’s some big project.

Wildhog

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 03:33:49 pm »

I heard it might be more than a couple.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 03:35:49 pm »

I heard it might be more than a couple.
the more the better... at least freakin try...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2019, 03:37:06 pm »

I thought he held Mississippi high school records as a quarterback?  He might not be good enough to play SEC football but I don’t believe that he’s some big project.
gotta be hard sitting on the sidelines and watching the guys ahead of him regardless of ho well they may do in practice... Hell supposedly Jones gets it into the endzone the most.. something we struggle with... nah.. lets not change it up..

carolinahogger

• Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 03:40:46 pm »

Two yards from where he fields the snap or two yards past the line of scrimmage?

Pennywise

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 03:42:28 pm »

gotta be hard sitting on the sidelines and watching the guys ahead of him regardless of ho well they may do in practice... Hell supposedly Jones gets it into the endzone the most.. something we struggle with... nah.. lets not change it up..

Stunna, I know you personally. Don't really think you're an idiot when it comes to football. Do you HONESTLY believe KJ Jefferson would be able to come in and just light it up as a freshman like a Jalen Hurts in his time, Bo Nix, Tua, or Lawrence? Be honest.

And...as a coach....and these guys are good coaches(just not ready for SEC), do you think if KJ was like a Hurts, Nix, Tua, or Lawrence, that he would truly be sitting on the sidelines?

And be honest lol

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 03:53:45 pm »

Stunna, I know you personally. Don't really think you're an idiot when it comes to football. Do you HONESTLY believe KJ Jefferson would be able to come in and just light it up as a freshman like a Jalen Hurts in his time, Bo Nix, Tua, or Lawrence? Be honest.

And...as a coach....and these guys are good coaches(just not ready for SEC), do you think if KJ was like a Hurts, Nix, Tua, or Lawrence, that he would truly be sitting on the sidelines?

And be honest lol
Nix shouldnt be in the same conversation as the others mentioned. And no clue what Jefferson can do... but 5 interceptions???? 7/19 for 41 yards...........thats what hes sitting behind right now.... lighting it up? the ones ahead of him damn sure arent.

Pennywise

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 03:58:38 pm »

Nix shouldnt be in the same conversation as the others mentioned. And no clue what Jefferson can do... but 5 interceptions???? 7/19 for 41 yards...........thats what hes sitting behind right now.... lighting it up? the ones ahead of him damn sure arent.

I'm with you at this point. Put him in at this point, let him see what he can do.

Morris just had to think Ben would come in and light it up though. Same with Nick....

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 04:03:11 pm »

I'm with you at this point. Put him in at this point, let him see what he can do.

Morris just had to think Ben would come in and light it up though. Same with Nick....
I absolutely dont like the idea of his first snaps being against an Auburn or Alabama... buty if it keeps him from transferring.... throw his ass to the wolves and see if he bites back....

Lanlord

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 04:06:03 pm »

Both Starkel and Hicks were in the transfer portal for a reason.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 04:07:25 pm »

lets go grab some lineman

FreeRain

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 04:13:37 pm »

I'd like to see Ben and Nick play these next two weeks (don't care how much for either). Then, when MSU and W. Kentucky come to town, I want KJ to get every snap.

It may be too late for Morris and Co., but if KJ is electric and we somehow win those two games, I believe Morris will be retained.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »

I'd like to see Ben and Nick play these next two weeks (don't care how much for either). Then, when MSU and W. Kentucky come to town, I want KJ to get every snap.

It may be too late for Morris and Co., but if KJ is electric and we somehow win those two games, I believe Morris will be retained.

if KJ hasnt played by the next two weeks... i doubt hes playing in the games morris has to win to save his job.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 04:19:55 pm »

Yes one lost a battle (injury had some to do with that) with a pretty darned good QB at a top level school, the other was getting benched by a Mediocre G5 team, regardless of who he was competing with at QB. So yes they both were in the portal for a reason.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 04:21:42 pm »

We rather throw it than get an easy two on the ground for a third down conversion. Sickening.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 04:22:53 pm »

We rather throw it than get an easy two on the ground for a third down conversion. Sickening.
let boyd slash and gash... then bring in some meat for the hard yards!!

hawginbigd1

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 04:25:25 pm »

It's crazy how recruiting sets up up for success or failure. Remember Gerry bohannon? He would be PERFECT in this offense
Yep, just like I said then, Noland would never finish college as a football player ( I actually said he would never take a meaningful snap at Arkansas, I was wrong about that part, wouldn't have if we had a competent coaching staff), and that we needed Bohannon even before CBB got fired, and definitely when CM got hired.

hoglady

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 04:54:32 pm »

Well - it's gotten to the point this year where the best QB on any given Saturday is the one who didn't get 1st team reps that week.

It's kind of crazy.

Seebs

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 04:57:27 pm »

I just put on my wet, burlap-lined woolen underwear and enjoy the irritation.  When a QB tags in after the previous QB stunk it up,  I start doing jumping jacks to get the full irritation effect.

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 06:14:46 pm »

If we had handled Portland State and Colorado State and San Jose like a normal SEC team, John Steven and KJ would have already gotten quite a bit of mopup reps

Those reps are valuable

But Chad didn't take care of business, so he consistently dug his own hole

Those kids suffer. The entire team suffers.
Totally agree. Just do not understand his thinking. It's like, as some have suggested, when he gets on the gametime sideline he goes brain dead.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 06:24:33 pm »

let boyd slash and gash... then bring in some meat for the hard yards!!

I wouldn't expect much via the ground this week (and also next week for that matter).

Morris is about to be facing the best Defensive Line in the SEC (Auburn's DL).

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 06:26:04 pm »

Well I kept reading that John S Jones got the team in the end zone more consistently than anyone during fall camp. Isn’t that the objective? Frustrating that’s he’s not even being given a chance, especially as much as we’ve struggled doing just that, getting the ball in the end zone.

Maybe he’s not very big, maybe he doesn’t have a big arm, some guys are just gamers. What is there to lose at this point. Go with John Stephen and have a package for KJ. Or if u want to redshirt KJ then have a package for Burks. He needs the ball in his hands any way we can get it to him anyway. If none of this even works, then start KJ the last 4 games and get ready for 2020

Sounds absolutely easy doesn't it. Oh darn we forgot something. The coach now says he has no problem with a two quarterback rotating system. Now heck that outta do. ---He's trying to catch it when one or the other are hot---Roll those dice coach.

3Scoreand10

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 06:32:01 pm »

We aren't going to sacrifice freshmen QBs to Bama/Aub.  the last 4 games you can play them all you want, and not burn their redshirt.

Anyone that thinks KJ will stay 5 years is fooling themselves.

Wildhog

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 06:34:46 pm »

Anyone that thinks KJ will stay 5 years is fooling themselves.

Where’s he gonna go?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas