• 10,544,294 Posts
• 415,533 Topics
• 23,816 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We all need to get tougher...  (Read 1024 times)

ArkansasI

We all need to get tougher...
« on: October 16, 2019, 11:39:01 am »

Crazy as it sounds, after watching the HC, OC and DC pre-Auburn press conferences, I am climbing back from the edge.  Chad didn't blink - and I like that.  We simply have to ride 2019 out.

Reading the Magic 8 Ball, "Ask again later".

Aside from a strong 2019 recruiting class, Chad hasn't answered a single question since he's been here.  But I don't know what we expect him to say without throwing his team under the bus.  What can anyone say after the SJSU game that won't further fracture this team?

I thought we should have beat Kentucky, but I don't follow what threw us all in a tizzy after that game.  If you don't remove Chad after the SJSU game, there's been nothing since that justifies our outrage... at least from the offense.

Joe did an admirable job in his press conference.  He took responsibility for the problems with the offense - and explained how player mistakes were minimal, or the results of playing too fast.

Are you kidding me?  I love it!  Now that's good politicking.  Move along...  Nothing to see here...

I remain most concerned about the defense.  It has been terrible for years - well before Chad and Chief got to campus.  Chief told us that we filled the box to defend Bowdin... I didn't see that.  Maybe he is trying to hide just how razor thin we are at LB.  Still, why not put in 5 DL since it is supposed to be improved?

The best way to stop a team is to keep them from getting started.  Get them away from what they want to do.  We failed to do this against Kentucky.  We must not have 8 bodies to put in the box.

If we don't get in front of Auburn's runners, it's going to be a track meet Saturday.  Once they hit the open field, our back 7 have proven to be below average tacklers.

I'd like to see our defense take proper angles and tackle.  I have to believe that Chief is gone at year end.  He doesn't need the money or the headache of rebuilding this team, and it is clear to me that he doesn't contribute sufficiently to recruiting to justify his salary.  I suspect Chief will go home to Tennessee and relax after having earned a treasure.  Good for him.

So, I like that Chad continues to hold the rope... maybe we should, too.  Maybe we're experiencing the growing pains of rebuilding a college football team from scratch.  One look at Bret at the end of his tenure is proof that the Hogs were in terrible shape.

No kneejerk reaction to players or coaches from Chad - even though I may have wanted him to.  Lots of attrition last year.  A few more this year.  Perhaps the 8 year mystery disappearance of Razorback football takes more than a year and a half to solve.

The determining factor for year 3 with Chad will come on national signing day.  Can they hold together the 2020 recruiting class?  The recent loss of McClure hurts.  But we are not in a good place relying upon him to begin with.   Losing Bush seems to be a depth chart complaint.  Losing oral commitments sucks, but they were never part of the program anyway.

If we're reasonable, we let Chad play this out to national signing day.  Regardless, we must realize that money won't fix our problems.

Pay a reasonable salary to elevate a lower-level head coach or to a high level coordinator and let him have a shot at this thing.  A reasonable salary won't buy relationships that are going to hit the ground running.  It will be a 5 year grind.  Every year, the expense of further change will become more palatable.  Wins become less costly - financially speaking.

We can try to buy our way out of this - it will be extraordinarily expensive.  Arkansas can pay a boatload of money to retire Chad, but we hit apathy at the end of Bret's tenure.  We're asked to pay far too much for far too little.  We'll double down our ante with another boatload to any of a number of good coaches to see if they can do better than Bret or Chad.  This thinking is mighty naive.  I'm sure we can find someone that can win 6-8 games with Chad's last two recruiting classes.  Chad might, too.  What happens after that is our primary concern.

Lottery type money may attract Bob Stoops - but I see no others.  Pay the man so much to prove once and for all what can be done now in Fayetteville.  We may not like what we learn.  Or we may finally get what we pay for... whoopee!!

I can't afford to buy out Chad, much less pay Stoops lottery money.  And I wouldn't pay all this money even if I had the cash - glad to know that HY doesn't favor huge buy-outs with coaches.  Since I can't afford to make a difference, I don't expect our wealthiest boosters to pay unreasonable demands for money, either.

If we could guarantee results, things might be different.  But that isn't possible - see Texas A&M.

GO HOGS!

Hawginj

Re: We all need to get tougher...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:48:35 am »

And this is why we don't do crack!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

OkieBack

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:53:35 am »

Pretty big rant.  I agree with some of it.  I agree with "what are the coaches supposed to say"?  It gets tiring to answer the same questions week after week.  I would hope Morris starts Hicks, makes Chavis defend the run (something we didn't do last Saturday), and hope its a close game and can somehow get an opportunity late to score a go ahead TD. 

Red Zone offense has been horrible though.  Morris needs to dig deep within himself to remedy this situation.  May be play a running QB inside the 20?

ArkansasI

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 12:07:44 pm »

Pretty big rant.  I agree with some of it.  I agree with "what are the coaches supposed to say"?  It gets tiring to answer the same questions week after week.  I would hope Morris starts Hicks, makes Chavis defend the run (something we didn't do last Saturday), and hope its a close game and can somehow get an opportunity late to score a go ahead TD. 

Red Zone offense has been horrible though.  Morris needs to dig deep within himself to remedy this situation.  May be play a running QB inside the 20?

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that Chief has to figure out how to stop the run.  If we get beat by the pass, at least do so with a full front that is designed to stop the run and pressure the passer.

I also agree that our red zone offense is terrible.  I put this on our OL difficulties - injuries and youth are real bad combinations up there.  If we're honest, freshmen WRs don't help much either, ever when they are as good as ours.  To gain the confidence to create physical separation in the redzone takes some experience.

I'm hoping that a year of maturity for everyone, another one or two jucos and Luke's gaining eligibility from his Notre Dame transfer on OL will dramatically change everything on offense next year.

No doubt.  This year is the suck.

We'd better get some juco LBs in here, too.

ArkansasI

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:17 pm »

code red

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:48:24 pm »

And this is why we don't do crack!
Agreed.  That is a dumpster fire up there.  Little to no coaching is happening.  If you can't make that out then IDK what to tell you.  I am no expert by any means, but the things that I know that help kids win on friday nights are NOT being displayed by this team.

Hawginj

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 12:51:22 pm »

Agreed.  That is a dumpster fire up there.  Little to no coaching is happening.  If you can't make that out then IDK what to tell you.  I am no expert by any means, but the things that I know that help kids win on friday nights are NOT being displayed by this team.
I agree with you! These coaches are failing the young men up here 100%. I just wanted to use a waterboy quote looked like a good time to do it!

davehog

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 01:02:14 pm »

Chavis is destroying CCM's career at Arkansas.  With an avg. DC the Razorbacks are at 4-2 or 5-1 at this point in the season and we are all eagerly awaiting the next game and already talking about possible bowl destinations. 

I don't understand how and why the productivity of the two best defensive players - Scoota and Sosa has fallen off so much this year vs. last. You could explain the decline in productivity somewhat of Sosa due to the position change.  But, wouldn't a good DC realize this and make a change and put him back in to his position last season? 

As for Scoota perhaps the emergence of Bumper has diminished his numbers somewhat. 

ArkansasI

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 01:19:26 pm »

Chavis is destroying CCM's career at Arkansas.  With an avg. DC the Razorbacks are at 4-2 or 5-1 at this point in the season and we are all eagerly awaiting the next game and already talking about possible bowl destinations. 

I don't understand how and why the productivity of the two best defensive players - Scoota and Sosa has fallen off so much this year vs. last. You could explain the decline in productivity somewhat of Sosa due to the position change.  But, wouldn't a good DC realize this and make a change and put him back in to his position last season? 

As for Scoota perhaps the emergence of Bumper has diminished his numbers somewhat. 

I appreciate the comments.  I don't want to disrespect Scoota...  I really appreciate that he came back.  We'd be absolutely lost without him.

Still, the production isn't what I'm sure he expects.  Tackling hasn't been good and none of our guys are collapsing the pocket on opposing passers.

I'd expected much more from the DL that came into the season with high praise.  Scoota makes a lot of tackles, but he looks like he receives the runner as often as he delivers the blow.

If the DL is as good as was advertised, then I put this on scheme - which is Chief.  There is no way Chad is taking over that room from a 30 year vet.

ArkieBacon

• Varsity
  • HogBall Tue. Nov. 12 @ 7:00 PM
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 01:36:00 pm »

There has been about a dozen hail mary plays too many so far this year.
I'm out on this.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 01:43:10 pm »

Its a total team effort.  We are bad on both sides of the ball.

74th in total defense, 68th in scoring defense.

70th in total offense, 80th in scoring offense.

Keith_Dixon

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 01:51:13 pm »

I'm almost certain that they learned to pursue and tackle since last Saturday. 

Jek Tono Porkins

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Defense Wins Championships
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 02:09:52 pm »

I was at the game and had a bird's eye view. I'd like to see some examples of this supposed box stacking because from what I saw we were not stacking the box.

On one Kentucky drive they ran plays out of the same formation for almost the entire drive with three WR's on one side of the field. Most of the time we were in man coverage against those wideouts which left the box wide open and the QB was running the ball and gashing us every play. Almost like they were daring us to stack the box. After about 6 plays of the same thing we finally stacked the box and he threw a quick little pass to one of the WR's. Then we went right back to playing man against the WR's at which point the QB continued to gash us running the ball.

I didn't understand why we didn't make the guy throw to beat us. This was a WR playing QB. Stack the box and make him throw so he inevitably makes a mistake. Instead it seemed as if we were perfectly content to let him run 24 times for almost 200 yards. Meanwhile he was 8/12 passing.

So if we were "stacking the box" then we must really suck. You stack the box and the other team manages to run the ball 54 times for 330 yards? Ok.

On the other side of the ball, they should have given the ball to Boyd as often as they possibly could have. They didn't. He only ran 15 times. They seemed hell-bent on making Starkel chuck the ball into oblivion for three quarters. At one point we were starting a drive deep in our own territory and Starkel threw three straight incompletions. If I'm not mistaken that was his last series of the game.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 02:10:18 pm »

Yeah, I'm beginnin' to think ol' John Chavis came here to install one thing: His Personal 401K defense. He is just piling up bank, heading for retirement as soon as he is fired. Meanwhile, stack up the big bucks.

Arkansas seems to kind of be on a run of sorts of getting people in here that are thinking one thing, and one thing only: "I've worked hard now for a long time. Time for one more big addition to my retirement funds and then take it to the house."

Kind of the BB philosophy: "If I can just win a little there, they'll give me an insane buyout. Then, I can just tank the job, enjoy 'recruiting' trips to Florida, lay back and look stupid until they get the balls to fire me. Walk away with a lifetime of wealth. Man, I love Arkansas."

dayofthehawg1

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 02:12:46 pm »

Kids, this is why you dont do drugs......   CCM has no one to blame but himself.  0 wins vs P5.  0 wins vs SEC.  And three of the top 5 worst losses in school history.   If Yurachek wants to lose lots of money then bring him back.  He though is in over his head and that will not change.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 02:13:32 pm »

I thought we should have beat Kentucky, but I don't follow what threw us all in a tizzy after that game.  If you don't remove Chad after the SJSU game, there's been nothing since that justifies our outrage... at least from the offense.

Another post completely clueless to what a failure our offense was vs Kentucky.

HardCore

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 02:16:51 pm »

Kids, this is why you dont do drugs......   CCM has no one to blame but himself.  0 wins vs P5.  0 wins vs SEC.  And three of the top 5 worst losses in school history.   If Yurachek wants to lose lots of money then bring him back.  He though is in over his head and that will not change.

If Yurachek wants to make a Detrimental Career Mistake...bring him back.  No AD job he personally perceives as bigger than this one is going to hire a guy who allowed a program disaster to continue.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 02:20:00 pm »

On the other side of the ball, they should have given the ball to Boyd as often as they possibly could have. They didn't. He only ran 15 times. They seemed hell-bent on making Starkel chuck the ball into oblivion for three quarters. At one point we were starting a drive deep in our own territory and Starkel threw three straight incompletions. If I'm not mistaken that was his last series of the game.

Boyd is already beat to darn.  What does it take to get some of you to realize this?  He ain't Dmac.  We aren't going to slam him into the line 41 times like Nutt would do DMac vs Alabama. 

How can I explain this?  Arkansas football will win due to offense.  Defense can help.  It can get the ball back for the O, cause turnovers, score or setup ocassional scores.  But the offense has to win football games.

I'm so tired of showing all of the offensive failures vs SJS and UK when the D gave our offense a chance. 

Chad Morris was hired because he is an offensive coach.  Because we are obsessed with HUNH can't out Bama Bama.  This isn't the 1990s or earlier.  Even the last decade.  Offense rules.  Defenses are there to get red zone stops and turnovers in most cases. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 02:33:48 pm »

After we scored on the 74 yard run on the second play:

7 possessions, 141 yards, 6 points.  This took us through the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Qtrs.

44 yards punt up 7-0
22 yards FG up 10-0
45 yards FG up 13-0
8 yards end of half 13-7

6 yards punt 13-10
-9 yards punt 13-10
25 yards punt 17-13 UK

But Chavis is Morris' biggest problem.  Nothing to justify any outrage with the offense.

tomahawkhog

• Senior
  • How 'Bout Them Cowboys!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 02:53:50 pm »

7 possessions, 141 yards, 6 points.  This took us through the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Qtrs.

44 yards punt up 7-0
22 yards FG up 10-0
45 yards FG up 13-0
8 yards end of half 13-7

6 yards punt 13-10
-9 yards punt 13-10
25 yards punt 17-13 UK

But Chavis is Morris' biggest problem.  Nothing to justify any outrage with the offense.

Spot on!  The offense’s inability to put together a sustained drive is KILLING the defense. In the third quarter, with a struggling Starkel STILL in the game, our genius offensive playcaller(s) decided to pass three straight times inside our own 20. It’s not that hard to figure out....

S.A.D.C

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 03:02:54 pm »

44 yards punt up 7-0
22 yards FG up 10-0
45 yards FG up 13-0
8 yards end of half 13-7

6 yards punt 13-10
-9 yards punt 13-10
25 yards punt 17-13 UK

This and this!

But you can't reason with people who want to blame the Defense...  they are living in the past and expect us to hold teams to 14 or 17 points.  The rules are literally made to help the offense score.  Guess what happens when your offense goes 3 and out?  The other team gets a lot of chances to score.  I am not saying the defense is good- by any means.  But this coach was brought here to score a crap ton of points.  And right now, he can't do his job. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 03:10:24 pm »

A&M second half.

Hogs D holds A&M to 1 yard on 3 plays.

Hogs O scores a TD and we take 24-21 lead.  Both sides doing their part.

Hogs D holds A&M to 3 plays 8 yards.  Hogs lead 24-21.  O has chance to build on it.

Hogs 3 plays 3 yards.

Hogs D intercepts A&M after 8 plays 42 yards.  Hogs still lead 24-21.  Another chance for the O.  Hogs D has held Aggies scoreless on 3 possessions.

Hogs O 3 plays -10 yards fumble

A&M scores TD and leads 28-24 and never trails again.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 03:15:00 pm »

Hogville never fails.  I don’t care how bad the staff sucks and how bad the game was, along about Wednesday, people start trying to make excuses and explain it all away.

Jek Tono Porkins

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Defense Wins Championships
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 03:19:12 pm »

Boyd is already beat to darn.  What does it take to get some of you to realize this?  He ain't Dmac.  We aren't going to slam him into the line 41 times like Nutt would do DMac vs Alabama.
K, well then you still run the ball. Starkel attempted almost twice as many passes in three quarters as the Kentucky QB attempted all game. We were having success running the ball but they still insisted on Starkel chucking it up almost every chance he got.

And for the life of me I don't understand why the coaches can't design a play that can get a yard. On multiple occasions it was 2nd and 1 or 3rd and 1 and they couldn't get a yard. They run all of these outside runs and delayed handoffs from the shotgun. Is there some sort of inability to run a dive play from under center?

In fact if I remember correctly the only time they snapped the ball under center was to attempt a trick play, as if everyone couldn't see that coming.

Wildhog

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 03:22:10 pm »

I've often wondered about Boyd's conditioning.  Going back to last year, I've never seen a player tap his helmet as much as he does. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 03:24:52 pm »

K, well then you still run the ball. Starkel attempted almost twice as many passes in three quarters as the Kentucky QB attempted all game. We were having success running the ball but they still insisted on Starkel chucking it up almost every chance he got.

And for the life of me I don't understand why the coaches can't design a play that can get a yard. On multiple occasions it was 2nd and 1 or 3rd and 1 and they couldn't get a yard. They run all of these outside runs and delayed handoffs from the shotgun. Is there some sort of inability to run a dive play from under center?

In fact if I remember correctly the only time they snapped the ball under center was to attempt a trick play, as if everyone couldn't see that coming.

Sometimes you have to throw for it.  This inability to run in short yardage is why I am hell no to Hugh Freeze. 

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 05:24:00 pm »

I've often wondered about Boyd's conditioning.  Going back to last year, I've never seen a player tap his helmet as much as he does. 
He has been just as productive this year but it looks like he’s a little bigger and he’s lost a little bit of burst.  I thought I read the coaches decided he needed to bulk up in the offseason and he gained 15-20 pounds. 

ArkansasI

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 06:01:10 pm »

A&M second half.

Hogs D holds A&M to 1 yard on 3 plays.

Hogs O scores a TD and we take 24-21 lead.  Both sides doing their part.

Hogs D holds A&M to 3 plays 8 yards.  Hogs lead 24-21.  O has chance to build on it.

Hogs 3 plays 3 yards.

Hogs D intercepts A&M after 8 plays 42 yards.  Hogs still lead 24-21.  Another chance for the O.  Hogs D has held Aggies scoreless on 3 possessions.

Hogs O 3 plays -10 yards fumble

A&M scores TD and leads 28-24 and never trails again.

This and other replies you've given are spot on...  Thanks for jumping in and telling me that I need to be more sympathetic to that side of the ball.  However, I admit to being bent against Chavis because of his failures at LSU and A&M where I know he had great talent.

Plus, the Hogs DL was supposed to be a strength but I've seen little to justify that publicity.  In recruiting, we've managed to recruit adequately on the DL and DBs, but the LBs are missing - I expect Chief to do something about this.

When Portland State is within a touchdown and SJSU puts 31 on the board - not to mention 34 from Colorado State, I have a tough time believing that they aren't a material part of the problem.

My soft spot for the offense is we're struggling at QB (two new guys, neither of which could maintain their starting jobs at other schools), WR (all young - they're monsters, but 18-19 years old), and OL (a complete rebuild and injuries).  But I admit to being plenty frustrated watching them play, too.

jj202020

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 09:46:47 pm »

When you ask someone a question, and they give you some vague reply, it’s because they have no clue what the answer even is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas